Posted to rec.food.cooking
Andy[_2_] Andy[_2_] is offline

Default Makin' waffles. Was: crisco?

Wayne Boatwright said...

> Andy, whatever batter you use to make waffles needs to be thin enough to
> be pourable and should not require spreading out on the waffle iron.
> The "trick" of course, is to pour enough batter but not so much that it
> overflows. As you're experimenting with batters and quantities, measure
> what you pour in and make a note of how much it takes to fill the iron
> completely. In my case, it's 1/2 cup. After that, measure for each
> waffle.
>
> If you like the crunchiness/crispness of cornmeal, you can sub 1/2 cup
> of cornmeal for 1/2 cup flour in the recipe I posted. You may need to
> adjust the liquid because cornmeal absorbs differently than flour.
>
> Good luck!

Wayne,

No, no, no, I fully intend to make your waffle recipe! I was just plum out
of buttermilk when the inspiration struck.

In days gone by, I'd use the frozen waffles for hamburger buns, just for a
texture change. I was hoping the waffle iron would help me recreate them
but it makes friggin' huge waffles!

The manual reccomends 1/2 cup of batter too.

It cleans up kinda/sorta OK. I cooked wet damp paper towels for a minute
then let it dry and then whipped out the dust-buster and vacuumed the
crumbs. I imagine the Belgian waffle iron is easier to clean.

BTW, in waffle nomenclature, are they nooks or crannies or what?

All the best,

Andy