Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Makin' waffles. Was: crisco?

Oh pshaw, on Mon 04 Dec 2006 06:52:50a, Andy meant to say...

> Wayne Boatwright said...
>

>> Andy, whatever batter you use to make waffles needs to be thin enough
>> to be pourable and should not require spreading out on the waffle iron.
>> The "trick" of course, is to pour enough batter but not so much that it
>> overflows. As you're experimenting with batters and quantities,
>> measure what you pour in and make a note of how much it takes to fill
>> the iron completely. In my case, it's 1/2 cup. After that, measure
>> for each waffle.
>>
>> If you like the crunchiness/crispness of cornmeal, you can sub 1/2 cup
>> of cornmeal for 1/2 cup flour in the recipe I posted. You may need to
>> adjust the liquid because cornmeal absorbs differently than flour.
>>
>> Good luck!

> Wayne,
>
> No, no, no, I fully intend to make your waffle recipe! I was just plum
> out of buttermilk when the inspiration struck.

Understsood, no problem. I like cornmeal in both waffles and pancakes on
occasion. I really like the texture.

> In days gone by, I'd use the frozen waffles for hamburger buns, just for
> a texture change. I was hoping the waffle iron would help me recreate
> them but it makes friggin' huge waffles!

Friggin' huge burgers?

> The manual reccomends 1/2 cup of batter too.
>
> It cleans up kinda/sorta OK. I cooked wet damp paper towels for a minute
> then let it dry and then whipped out the dust-buster and vacuumed the
> crumbs. I imagine the Belgian waffle iron is easier to clean.

The damp paper towels are a great idea to help cleanup. I use a pastry
brush to get the crumbs out. I don't know about the Belgian waffle iron as
I've never owned one. I don't much care for Belgian waffles.

> BTW, in waffle nomenclature, are they nooks or crannies or what?

I wish I knew. I've often wondered that myself.

--
Wayne Boatwright

I don't necessarily agree with everything I say.
(Marshall McLuhan)