findel

Default Why are these Bakers Catalog starters not self perpetuating?

I ordered from the Bakers Catalog the LA-2 Pain de Campagne and LA-4 French
Sourdough Starters. A later search of this newsgroup revealed that once
these starters are activated, they are self limiting and cannot be -- or are
not supposed to be for some reason -- kept alive. If the starter is
properly fed and cared for, why can't it be kept alive? Has anyone
successfully done this? I'd be grateful if someone could enlighten me about
this.

Many thanks!

---

Kenneth

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 18:12:18 -0500, "findel"
> wrote:

>I ordered from the Bakers Catalog the LA-2 Pain de Campagne and LA-4 French
>Sourdough Starters. A later search of this newsgroup revealed that once
>these starters are activated, they are self limiting and cannot be -- or are
>not supposed to be for some reason -- kept alive. If the starter is
>properly fed and cared for, why can't it be kept alive? Has anyone
>successfully done this? I'd be grateful if someone could enlighten me about
>this.
>
>Many thanks!
>

>---

Howdy,

With respect, I would suggest that you contact KA...

That said, is it possible that they are not "starters" in
the sense that we ordinarily use. Perhaps they are some sort
of flavorings, and commercial yeasts.

In any case, KA will have some answer, and then you can tell
us...

All the best,

--
Kenneth

Kenneth

On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 18:48:38 -0500, Kenneth
> wrote:

>On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 18:12:18 -0500, "findel"
> wrote:
>
>>I ordered from the Bakers Catalog the LA-2 Pain de Campagne and LA-4 French
>>Sourdough Starters. A later search of this newsgroup revealed that once
>>these starters are activated, they are self limiting and cannot be -- or are
>>not supposed to be for some reason -- kept alive. If the starter is
>>properly fed and cared for, why can't it be kept alive? Has anyone
>>successfully done this? I'd be grateful if someone could enlighten me about
>>this.
>>
>>Many thanks!
>>

>>---
>>

>Howdy,
>
>With respect, I would suggest that you contact KA...
>
>That said, is it possible that they are not "starters" in
>the sense that we ordinarily use. Perhaps they are some sort
>of flavorings, and commercial yeasts.
>
>In any case, KA will have some answer, and then you can tell
>us...
>
>All the best,

Hello again,

I just read the description at the KA site...

" LA-4 French Sourdough Starter

Create artisan breads -- crusty, chewy, and full of
incredible flavor -- at home with our imported French
Lalvain du Jour® Starters, a dry mixture of specialized
yeast, bacteria and lactose. The pain de campagne LA-2
starter produces bread with an elusive tang, bread where the
rich, nutty taste of the wheat shines through. The French
sourdough LA-4 starter (contains beef traces) creates an
assertive sourdough loaf; it includes lactobacillus type San
Francisco, the bacteria that gives San Francisco sourdough
its characteristic bite. Use just 1/4 teaspoon starter to
make two loaves; each 5g packet contains enough starter for
12 loaves of bread."

and I suspect that my earlier guess was correct. My guess is
that this stuff is LBSF and commercial yeast (which cannot
live for long in the acidic environment created by the LB.

Now, let's consider the "traces" of beef...

I guess that this allows the home baker to make a complete
sandwich with the stuff.

All the best,

--
Kenneth

Karen

findel wrote:

> I ordered from the Bakers Catalog the LA-2 Pain de Campagne and LA-4 French
> Sourdough Starters.

The description of them is not very clear in the current catalog --
http://shop.bakerscatalogue.com/items/item1040.html. Earlier catalogs
made it clear that this was a flavoring to give your loaves a
sourdough taste without actually using a starter. They do have a very
good real starter --
http://shop.bakerscatalogue.com/land...f=pub1&id=1522
-- that I have been using for a year now with excellent results (note
to Dick A. -- my family and friends love it <g>).

Karen R.
Instructions for de-spam-trapping my address are contained in the address
Karen

findel wrote:

> I ordered from the Bakers Catalog the LA-2 Pain de Campagne and LA-4 French
> Sourdough Starters.

The description of them is not very clear in the current catalog --
http://shop.bakerscatalogue.com/items/item1040.html. Earlier catalogs
made it clear that this was a flavoring to give your loaves a
sourdough taste without actually using a starter. They do have a very
good real starter --
http://shop.bakerscatalogue.com/land...f=pub1&id=1522
-- that I have been using for a year now with excellent results (note
to Dick A. -- my family and friends love it <g>).

Karen R.
Instructions for de-spam-trapping my address are contained in the address

Brian Mailman

Kenneth wrote:

> Now, let's consider the "traces" of beef...

Plasma, is my understanding.

B/
findel

"Karen" > wrote in message
nk.net...
> findel wrote:
>
>> I ordered from the Bakers Catalog the LA-2 Pain de Campagne and LA-4
>> French
>> Sourdough Starters.

> The description of them is not very clear in the current catalog --
> http://shop.bakerscatalogue.com/items/item1040.html. Earlier catalogs
> made it clear that this was a flavoring to give your loaves a
> sourdough taste without actually using a starter. They do have a very
> good real starter --
> http://shop.bakerscatalogue.com/land...f=pub1&id=1522
> -- that I have been using for a year now with excellent results (note
> to Dick A. -- my family and friends love it <g>).
>
> Karen R.
> Instructions for de-spam-trapping my address are contained in the address

---

findel

It certainly is not very clear. I would say it was downright deceptive if I
didn't think it was probably written by some copywriter with no knowledge of
what he was writing about. Your note about earlier catalog descriptions
convinces me still further. I'll probably have to chalk this one up as one
of life's little lessons. But I think I'll try to mix it with some homemade
starter to see if I can get the taste I'm looking for and have it survive
long term.

Thanks

>> I ordered from the Bakers Catalog the LA-2 Pain de Campagne and LA-4
>> French
>> Sourdough Starters.

> The description of them is not very clear in the current catalog --
> http://shop.bakerscatalogue.com/items/item1040.html. Earlier catalogs
> made it clear that this was a flavoring to give your loaves a
> sourdough taste without actually using a starter. They do have a very
> good real starter --
> http://shop.bakerscatalogue.com/land...f=pub1&id=1522
> -- that I have been using for a year now with excellent results (note
> to Dick A. -- my family and friends love it <g>).
>
> Karen R.
> Instructions for de-spam-trapping my address are contained in the address

---

"Karen" > wrote in message
nk.net...
> findel wrote:
>
>> I ordered from the Bakers Catalog the LA-2 Pain de Campagne and LA-4
>> French
>> Sourdough Starters.

> The description of them is not very clear in the current catalog --
> http://shop.bakerscatalogue.com/items/item1040.html. Earlier catalogs
> made it clear that this was a flavoring to give your loaves a
> sourdough taste without actually using a starter. They do have a very
> good real starter --
> http://shop.bakerscatalogue.com/land...f=pub1&id=1522
> -- that I have been using for a year now with excellent results (note
> to Dick A. -- my family and friends love it <g>).
>
> Karen R.
> Instructions for de-spam-trapping my address are contained in the address

Anna Ault

Findel,

It is possible to maintain the starter you make from the little
envelopes they send you - that was how I made my first starter. Now,
the flavour did change a bit after a month or so, but that happens to
starters in my hands.

You know how the directions call for making the sponge ahead of
time? I just took that sponge, and maintained it as my culture. It
worked nicely. I made bread off of the free starter sample I got for
several years.

I think that KA's main selling point for the packets is that give
you a very consistent nicely sour loaf if you use them as directed -
for people who only bake very casually, that is a big deal.

Anna

"findel" > wrote in message >...
> It certainly is not very clear. I would say it was downright deceptive if I
> didn't think it was probably written by some copywriter with no knowledge of
> what he was writing about. Your note about earlier catalog descriptions
> convinces me still further. I'll probably have to chalk this one up as one
> of life's little lessons. But I think I'll try to mix it with some homemade
> starter to see if I can get the taste I'm looking for and have it survive
> long term.

Anna Ault

"findel" > wrote in message >...
> It certainly is not very clear. I would say it was downright deceptive if I
> didn't think it was probably written by some copywriter with no knowledge of
> what he was writing about. Your note about earlier catalog descriptions
> convinces me still further. I'll probably have to chalk this one up as one
> of life's little lessons. But I think I'll try to mix it with some homemade
> starter to see if I can get the taste I'm looking for and have it survive
> long term.

Samartha

Well, lets look:

case a, dead material:
Assuming there are souring agents in this powder, it would give sour
environment adjusted ( = sourdough ) organisms a head start.

case b, alive material:
With or without souring agents, sourdough typical organisms would
already be there.

In both cases this should give a better result with the powder than with
plain flour and water at some level. If it's detectable is another question.

No argument can convince a true believer. That's what believes are for. And
it keeps things stable over generations:
http://thechrisproject.com/images/map_nowvsthen.jpg

Samartha

At 06:17 PM 11/13/2004, Kenneth wrote:

>Howdy,
>
>I believe that you would have had the same result if you
>used flour and water and none of the KA "starter."
>
>All the best,
>
>--
>Kenneth
>
>If you email... Please remove the "SPAMLESS."

remove "-nospam" when replying, and it's in my email address

Samartha

Well, lets look:

case a, dead material:
Assuming there are souring agents in this powder, it would give sour
environment adjusted ( = sourdough ) organisms a head start.

case b, alive material:
With or without souring agents, sourdough typical organisms would
already be there.

In both cases this should give a better result with the powder than with
plain flour and water at some level. If it's detectable is another question.

No argument can convince a true believer. That's what believes are for. And
it keeps things stable over generations:
http://thechrisproject.com/images/map_nowvsthen.jpg

Samartha

At 06:17 PM 11/13/2004, Kenneth wrote:

>Howdy,
>
>I believe that you would have had the same result if you
>used flour and water and none of the KA "starter."
>
>All the best,
>
>--
>Kenneth
>
>If you email... Please remove the "SPAMLESS."

remove "-nospam" when replying, and it's in my email address

Lisse Tuerie

(Anna Ault) wrote in message om>...
> Kenneth > wrote in message >. ..
> > On 13 Nov 2004 16:41:01 -0800,
(Anna
> > Ault) wrote:
> >
> > > It is possible to maintain the starter you make from the little
> > >envelopes they send you - that was how I made my first starter. Now,
> > >the flavour did change a bit after a month or so, but that happens to
> > >starters in my hands.

> > Howdy,
> >
> > I believe that you would have had the same result if you
> > used flour and water and none of the KA "starter."
> >
> > All the best,

> I doubt that, if what you mean is that I would have had the same
> results with making a straight flour and water starter and baking with
> it. If I mix up a paste of flour and water on Sunday night at 7 pm, I
> cannot expect it to leaven bread at 10 am on Monday. With the
> addition of 1/4 tsp of the KA LA-4 powder, it does (and makes a
> tolerable good bread, at that.)
>
> Per the packet of this stuff I have in my fridge, it contains
> Lactobacillus brevis, Lactobacillus plantarum, and Saccharomyces
> cerevisiae (type San Francisco). Those are all the ingredients
> listed.
>
> Now, if what you meant is that after a month or so I would have had
> the same result of the flavour changing -- absolutely. That happens
> to me all the time. It's part of what I like about baking with
> sourdough.
>
> AnnaEA

Hi Anna,
Does enough of the original taste persist to make you think that your
starter is maintaining the original cultures from the Lalvain product?

S. cerevisiae is of course baker's yeast, and the less surviving of
this the better, but the L. brevis and L. plantarum colonies, which
should provide the flavor in the culture, could be enjoying a new home
with compatible wild yeast species!

--Lisse
Anna Ault

> Hi Anna,
> Does enough of the original taste persist to make you think that your
> starter is maintaining the original cultures from the Lalvain product?
>
> S. cerevisiae is of course baker's yeast, and the less surviving of
> this the better, but the L. brevis and L. plantarum colonies, which
> should provide the flavor in the culture, could be enjoying a new home
> with compatible wild yeast species!
>
> --Lisse

Lisse,

What I noticed was that as long as I was maintaining the starter on
the counter, and feeding it daily, it seemed to stay consistent with
the original. I noticed a taste change after I switched to keeping it
in the fridge - it still leavened nicely, but became fairly mild. I
adjusted the hydration, and it soured up again nicely, though the
taste was not quite the same. I baked off that particular starter,
and descendants, for about three years as I recall.

Anna
Dick Adams

Can't guess!

: |

Dick Adams

Can't guess!

: |
Lisse Tuerie

(Anna Ault) wrote in message . com>...
> > Hi Anna,
> > Does enough of the original taste persist to make you think that your
> > starter is maintaining the original cultures from the Lalvain product?
> >
> > S. cerevisiae is of course baker's yeast, and the less surviving of
> > this the better, but the L. brevis and L. plantarum colonies, which
> > should provide the flavor in the culture, could be enjoying a new home
> > with compatible wild yeast species!
> >
> > --Lisse

> Lisse,
>
> What I noticed was that as long as I was maintaining the starter on
> the counter, and feeding it daily, it seemed to stay consistent with
> the original. I noticed a taste change after I switched to keeping it
> in the fridge - it still leavened nicely, but became fairly mild. I
> adjusted the hydration, and it soured up again nicely, though the
> taste was not quite the same. I baked off that particular starter,
> and descendants, for about three years as I recall.
>
> Anna

That makes sense Anna,
If the Lalvain microbiologists were very clever, they would have
chosen or selectively bred lactobacilli that didn't survive cold well,
so that you had to keep buying their product!

I suppose the most important question is whether the taste is
something special enough to be worth trying to keep. Can you describe
it? Did you get the no.2 or the no.4? Maybe I should order a sample,
braving the "beef traces."

--Lisse <~~~~~~~~~~~~ long-term veggie-girl
Lisse Tuerie

(Anna Ault) wrote in message . com>...
> > Hi Anna,
> > Does enough of the original taste persist to make you think that your
> > starter is maintaining the original cultures from the Lalvain product?
> >
> > S. cerevisiae is of course baker's yeast, and the less surviving of
> > this the better, but the L. brevis and L. plantarum colonies, which
> > should provide the flavor in the culture, could be enjoying a new home
> > with compatible wild yeast species!
> >
> > --Lisse

> Lisse,
>
> What I noticed was that as long as I was maintaining the starter on
> the counter, and feeding it daily, it seemed to stay consistent with
> the original. I noticed a taste change after I switched to keeping it
> in the fridge - it still leavened nicely, but became fairly mild. I
> adjusted the hydration, and it soured up again nicely, though the
> taste was not quite the same. I baked off that particular starter,
> and descendants, for about three years as I recall.
>
> Anna

That makes sense Anna,
If the Lalvain microbiologists were very clever, they would have
chosen or selectively bred lactobacilli that didn't survive cold well,
so that you had to keep buying their product!

I suppose the most important question is whether the taste is
something special enough to be worth trying to keep. Can you describe
it? Did you get the no.2 or the no.4? Maybe I should order a sample,
braving the "beef traces."

--Lisse <~~~~~~~~~~~~ long-term veggie-girl
Lisse Tuerie

(Anna Ault) wrote in message . com>...
> > Hi Anna,
> > Does enough of the original taste persist to make you think that your
> > starter is maintaining the original cultures from the Lalvain product?
> >
> > S. cerevisiae is of course baker's yeast, and the less surviving of
> > this the better, but the L. brevis and L. plantarum colonies, which
> > should provide the flavor in the culture, could be enjoying a new home
> > with compatible wild yeast species!
> >
> > --Lisse

> Lisse,
>
> What I noticed was that as long as I was maintaining the starter on
> the counter, and feeding it daily, it seemed to stay consistent with
> the original. I noticed a taste change after I switched to keeping it
> in the fridge - it still leavened nicely, but became fairly mild. I
> adjusted the hydration, and it soured up again nicely, though the
> taste was not quite the same. I baked off that particular starter,
> and descendants, for about three years as I recall.
>
> Anna

That makes sense Anna,
If the Lalvain microbiologists were very clever, they would have
chosen or selectively bred lactobacilli that didn't survive cold well,
so that you had to keep buying their product!

I suppose the most important question is whether the taste is
something special enough to be worth trying to keep. Can you describe
it? Did you get the no.2 or the no.4? Maybe I should order a sample,
braving the "beef traces."

--Lisse <~~~~~~~~~~~~ long-term veggie-girl
Lisse Tuerie

"Dick Adams" > wrote in message >...

> Why are these Bakers still perpetuating non-self-perpetuating starters?
> Can't guess!
>
> : |

Hi Dick,
Because we can, that's why!!! Actually I had heard from more than
one source that these packets gave a good flavor. And since the flavor
is apparently based on organisms, not chemical additives, it would
seem a valid one for sourdough bakers to examine. Another reason,
since I rarely have the opportunity to sample any bread that I don't
bake myself, a standard for sour taste could be helpful. And from this
it follows that if I went to the trouble to get the starter, I would
like to keep it going for as long as I wanted to use it.

Beyond this it's just a novelty, like big-holed rustic bread, or
trying to run red lights before the Polizei Pumpernickel. (Actually I
just got paroled from a long stretch in the Hessen jail for making
Weizenmischbrot without baker's yeast and with caraway seeds.)

--Lisse <~~~~~~ IS she a stoolie for the PUPO?? Tune in next week!

Ulrike Westphal

"Lisse Tuerie" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
om...
> "Dick Adams" > wrote in message

> > Why are these Bakers still perpetuating non-self-perpetuating starters?
> > Can't guess!
> >
> > : |

> Hi Dick,
> Because we can, that's why!!! Actually I had heard from more than
> one source that these packets gave a good flavor. And since the flavor
> is apparently based on organisms, not chemical additives, it would
> seem a valid one for sourdough bakers to examine. Another reason,
> since I rarely have the opportunity to sample any bread that I don't
> bake myself, a standard for sour taste could be helpful. And from this
> it follows that if I went to the trouble to get the starter, I would
> like to keep it going for as long as I wanted to use it.
>
> Beyond this it's just a novelty, like big-holed rustic bread, or
> trying to run red lights before the Polizei Pumpernickel. (Actually I
> just got paroled from a long stretch in the Hessen jail for making
> Weizenmischbrot without baker's yeast and with caraway seeds.)
>
> --Lisse <~~~~~~ IS she a stoolie for the PUPO?? Tune in next week!

Hi Lisse,
did you already hear from "DAS ECHTE"???
Ulrike

Anna Ault

> That makes sense Anna,
> If the Lalvain microbiologists were very clever, they would have
> chosen or selectively bred lactobacilli that didn't survive cold well,
> so that you had to keep buying their product!
>
> I suppose the most important question is whether the taste is
> something special enough to be worth trying to keep. Can you describe
> it? Did you get the no.2 or the no.4? Maybe I should order a sample,
> braving the "beef traces."
>
> --Lisse <~~~~~~~~~~~~ long-term veggie-girl

As I recall, the taste was good. Definitely better then
storebought. No match for what I can get doing a three day build on
my starter these days, but a very nice introduction. And very
convenient.

I believe that the beef trace refers to the medium they grow their
stuff on (I seem to recall someone asking about that at the baking
class I went too that they offered.)

If your interested in trying it you might want to see if KA is
offering a baking class near you -- they give you a free sample packet
and a little cookbook. And the classes are nice.

Anna
Anna Ault

> That makes sense Anna,
> If the Lalvain microbiologists were very clever, they would have
> chosen or selectively bred lactobacilli that didn't survive cold well,
> so that you had to keep buying their product!
>
> I suppose the most important question is whether the taste is
> something special enough to be worth trying to keep. Can you describe
> it? Did you get the no.2 or the no.4? Maybe I should order a sample,
> braving the "beef traces."
>
> --Lisse <~~~~~~~~~~~~ long-term veggie-girl

As I recall, the taste was good. Definitely better then
storebought. No match for what I can get doing a three day build on
my starter these days, but a very nice introduction. And very
convenient.

I believe that the beef trace refers to the medium they grow their
stuff on (I seem to recall someone asking about that at the baking
class I went too that they offered.)

If your interested in trying it you might want to see if KA is
offering a baking class near you -- they give you a free sample packet
and a little cookbook. And the classes are nice.

Anna
Lisse Tuerie

"Ulrike Westphal" > wrote in message >...

> Hi Lisse,
> did you already hear from "DAS ECHTE"???
> Ulrike

Hi Ulrike,

DAS ECHTE. :-o

Das echte … was?

Nein, Ulrike, Ich wurde befreit. Aller Beweis meines Verbrechens wurde
gegessen! (Actually I thought the PUPO were much better mannered than
the FPF (Flics du Pain Français).

--Lisse
Lisse Tuerie

"Ulrike Westphal" > wrote in message >...

> Hi Lisse,
> did you already hear from "DAS ECHTE"???
> Ulrike

Hi Ulrike,

DAS ECHTE. :-o

Das echte … was?

Nein, Ulrike, Ich wurde befreit. Aller Beweis meines Verbrechens wurde
gegessen! (Actually I thought the PUPO were much better mannered than
the FPF (Flics du Pain Français).

--Lisse
Ulrike Westphal

"Lisse Tuerie" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
om...
> "Ulrike Westphal" > wrote in message

> > Hi Lisse,
> > did you already hear from "DAS ECHTE"???
> > Ulrike

> Hi Ulrike,
>
> DAS ECHTE. :-o
>
> Das echte . was?
>
> Nein, Ulrike, Ich wurde befreit. Aller Beweis meines Verbrechens wurde
> gegessen! (Actually I thought the PUPO were much better mannered than
> the FPF (Flics du Pain Français).
>
> --Lisse

Lisse,

PUPOS are well mannered, so you may bake "Weizenmischbrot" without baker's
yeast and with caraway seeds...
Chacun a son gout

Ulrike

Ulrike Westphal

"Lisse Tuerie" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
om...
> "Ulrike Westphal" > wrote in message

> > Hi Lisse,
> > did you already hear from "DAS ECHTE"???
> > Ulrike

> Hi Ulrike,
>
> DAS ECHTE. :-o
>
> Das echte . was?
>
> Nein, Ulrike, Ich wurde befreit. Aller Beweis meines Verbrechens wurde
> gegessen! (Actually I thought the PUPO were much better mannered than
> the FPF (Flics du Pain Français).
>
> --Lisse

Lisse,

PUPOS are well mannered, so you may bake "Weizenmischbrot" without baker's
yeast and with caraway seeds...
Chacun a son gout

Ulrike

Self-perpetuating Charities sf[_9_] General Cooking 40 31-10-2014 07:21 AM
Penzey's Summer Catalog jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 37 31-07-2011 10:21 PM
How to catalog or classify tea? Prof Wonmug Tea 14 27-09-2009 08:20 PM
2005 Klose Catalog TomD Barbecue 12 29-08-2005 04:10 AM
Chef's Catalog Scott Chocolate 7 16-12-2004 08:15 AM