Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Makin' waffles. Was: crisco?

jmcquown said...

> Andy wrote:
>> jmcquown said...
>>
>> Funny you should mention it. I NEVER used crisco before, until just
>> this week. I made a batch of Jiffy Cornbread waffles and it called
>> for 2 Tbs. of the stuff (butter-flavor, melted in the nuker).
>>
>> The waffle iron made it's first three waffles. They cooked up great
>> and fell right out of the iron (I'm guessing crisco).
>>
>> First three waffles I'VE ever made, come to think of it.
>>
>> Andy

> Oh no, Andy! You mentioned Jiffy Cornbread Mix AND Butter Crisco in the
> same post! Oh, the humanity! LOL Glad you enjoyed the waffles, though

> Jill

Jill,

It was fun but I didn't have the hang of spreading out the batter. The
outer portion of the waffles had holes instead of nooks (??). Spread too
thin, obviously.

The cuisinart is a plain, not Belgian waffle iron.

I was gonna make Wayne's waffle recipe but wimped out on the "cheapness" of
the Jiffy recipe.

The #5 (highest) setting made crispy waffles, the way I like 'em.

Andy
Waffle! Waffle!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Mon 04 Dec 2006 03:26:55a, Andy meant to say...

> jmcquown said...
>
>> Andy wrote:
>>> jmcquown said...
>>>
>>> Funny you should mention it. I NEVER used crisco before, until just
>>> this week. I made a batch of Jiffy Cornbread waffles and it called
>>> for 2 Tbs. of the stuff (butter-flavor, melted in the nuker).
>>>
>>> The waffle iron made it's first three waffles. They cooked up great
>>> and fell right out of the iron (I'm guessing crisco).
>>>
>>> First three waffles I'VE ever made, come to think of it.
>>>
>>> Andy

>> Oh no, Andy! You mentioned Jiffy Cornbread Mix AND Butter Crisco in
>> the same post! Oh, the humanity! LOL Glad you enjoyed the waffles,
>> though

>> Jill

> Jill,
>
> It was fun but I didn't have the hang of spreading out the batter. The
> outer portion of the waffles had holes instead of nooks (??). Spread too
> thin, obviously.
>
> The cuisinart is a plain, not Belgian waffle iron.
>
> I was gonna make Wayne's waffle recipe but wimped out on the "cheapness"
> of the Jiffy recipe.
>
> The #5 (highest) setting made crispy waffles, the way I like 'em.
>
> Andy
> Waffle! Waffle!

Andy, whatever batter you use to make waffles needs to be thin enough to be
pourable and should not require spreading out on the waffle iron. The
"trick" of course, is to pour enough batter but not so much that it
overflows. As you're experimenting with batters and quantities, measure
what you pour in and make a note of how much it takes to fill the iron
completely. In my case, it's 1/2 cup. After that, measure for each
waffle.

If you like the crunchiness/crispness of cornmeal, you can sub 1/2 cup of
cornmeal for 1/2 cup flour in the recipe I posted. You may need to adjust
the liquid because cornmeal absorbs differently than flour.

Good luck!

--
Wayne Boatwright

I don't necessarily agree with everything I say.
(Marshall McLuhan)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Mon 04 Dec 2006 06:07:02a, Ravenlynne meant to say...

> Andy wrote:
>> jmcquown said...

>>> Oh no, Andy! You mentioned Jiffy Cornbread Mix AND Butter Crisco in
>>> the same post! Oh, the humanity! LOL Glad you enjoyed the waffles,
>>> though ) Jill

>> Jill,
>>
>> It was fun but I didn't have the hang of spreading out the batter. The
>> outer portion of the waffles had holes instead of nooks (??). Spread
>> too thin, obviously.
>>
>> The cuisinart is a plain, not Belgian waffle iron.
>>
>> I was gonna make Wayne's waffle recipe but wimped out on the
>> "cheapness" of the Jiffy recipe.
>>
>> The #5 (highest) setting made crispy waffles, the way I like 'em.
>>
>> Andy
>> Waffle! Waffle!

> My iron only has two settings, off and on :-( I need a better iron...

None of the waffle irons I've owned had different settings, and it's never
been a problem.

--
Wayne Boatwright

I don't necessarily agree with everything I say.
(Marshall McLuhan)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Mon 04 Dec 2006 06:52:50a, Andy meant to say...

> Wayne Boatwright said...
>

>> Andy, whatever batter you use to make waffles needs to be thin enough
>> to be pourable and should not require spreading out on the waffle iron.
>> The "trick" of course, is to pour enough batter but not so much that it
>> overflows. As you're experimenting with batters and quantities,
>> measure what you pour in and make a note of how much it takes to fill
>> the iron completely. In my case, it's 1/2 cup. After that, measure
>> for each waffle.
>>
>> If you like the crunchiness/crispness of cornmeal, you can sub 1/2 cup
>> of cornmeal for 1/2 cup flour in the recipe I posted. You may need to
>> adjust the liquid because cornmeal absorbs differently than flour.
>>
>> Good luck!

> Wayne,
>
> No, no, no, I fully intend to make your waffle recipe! I was just plum
> out of buttermilk when the inspiration struck.

Understsood, no problem. I like cornmeal in both waffles and pancakes on
occasion. I really like the texture.

> In days gone by, I'd use the frozen waffles for hamburger buns, just for
> a texture change. I was hoping the waffle iron would help me recreate
> them but it makes friggin' huge waffles!

Friggin' huge burgers?

> The manual reccomends 1/2 cup of batter too.
>
> It cleans up kinda/sorta OK. I cooked wet damp paper towels for a minute
> then let it dry and then whipped out the dust-buster and vacuumed the
> crumbs. I imagine the Belgian waffle iron is easier to clean.

The damp paper towels are a great idea to help cleanup. I use a pastry
brush to get the crumbs out. I don't know about the Belgian waffle iron as
I've never owned one. I don't much care for Belgian waffles.

> BTW, in waffle nomenclature, are they nooks or crannies or what?

I wish I knew. I've often wondered that myself.

--
Wayne Boatwright

I don't necessarily agree with everything I say.
(Marshall McLuhan)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> jmcquown said...
>
>> Andy wrote:
>>> jmcquown said...
>>>
>>> Funny you should mention it. I NEVER used crisco before, until just
>>> this week. I made a batch of Jiffy Cornbread waffles and it called
>>> for 2 Tbs. of the stuff (butter-flavor, melted in the nuker).
>>>
>>> The waffle iron made it's first three waffles. They cooked up great
>>> and fell right out of the iron (I'm guessing crisco).
>>>
>>> First three waffles I'VE ever made, come to think of it.
>>>
>>> Andy

>> Oh no, Andy! You mentioned Jiffy Cornbread Mix AND Butter Crisco in the
>> same post! Oh, the humanity! LOL Glad you enjoyed the waffles, though

>> Jill

> Jill,
>
> It was fun but I didn't have the hang of spreading out the batter. The
> outer portion of the waffles had holes instead of nooks (??). Spread too
> thin, obviously.
>
> The cuisinart is a plain, not Belgian waffle iron.
>
> I was gonna make Wayne's waffle recipe but wimped out on the "cheapness" of
> the Jiffy recipe.
>
> The #5 (highest) setting made crispy waffles, the way I like 'em.
>
> Andy
> Waffle! Waffle!

My iron only has two settings, off and on :-( I need a better iron...

--

Class oozes out of my every orifice. - Harry Dresden

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Mon 04 Dec 2006 07:14:37a, Andy meant to say...

> Wayne Boatwright said...
>
>>> In days gone by, I'd use the frozen waffles for hamburger buns, just
>>> for a texture change. I was hoping the waffle iron would help me
>>> recreate them but it makes friggin' huge waffles!

>> Friggin' huge burgers?

> I studied the iron pattern, and wondered about just 1/4 cup of batter
> but there's no inner concentric ring to neatly make smaller waffles. The
> result as it stands would be a fairly round waffle with stray "strands".
>
> I hadn't thought about "friggin' huge burgers" at the time!
>
> You brainiac!
>
> Andy

:-)

--
Wayne Boatwright

I don't necessarily agree with everything I say.
(Marshall McLuhan)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright said...

> Andy, whatever batter you use to make waffles needs to be thin enough to
> be pourable and should not require spreading out on the waffle iron.
> The "trick" of course, is to pour enough batter but not so much that it
> overflows. As you're experimenting with batters and quantities, measure
> what you pour in and make a note of how much it takes to fill the iron
> completely. In my case, it's 1/2 cup. After that, measure for each
> waffle.
>
> If you like the crunchiness/crispness of cornmeal, you can sub 1/2 cup
> of cornmeal for 1/2 cup flour in the recipe I posted. You may need to
> adjust the liquid because cornmeal absorbs differently than flour.
>
> Good luck!

Wayne,

No, no, no, I fully intend to make your waffle recipe! I was just plum out
of buttermilk when the inspiration struck.

In days gone by, I'd use the frozen waffles for hamburger buns, just for a
texture change. I was hoping the waffle iron would help me recreate them
but it makes friggin' huge waffles!

The manual reccomends 1/2 cup of batter too.

It cleans up kinda/sorta OK. I cooked wet damp paper towels for a minute
then let it dry and then whipped out the dust-buster and vacuumed the
crumbs. I imagine the Belgian waffle iron is easier to clean.

BTW, in waffle nomenclature, are they nooks or crannies or what?

All the best,

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright said...

>> In days gone by, I'd use the frozen waffles for hamburger buns, just for
>> a texture change. I was hoping the waffle iron would help me recreate
>> them but it makes friggin' huge waffles!

> Friggin' huge burgers?

I studied the iron pattern, and wondered about just 1/4 cup of batter but
there's no inner concentric ring to neatly make smaller waffles. The result
as it stands would be a fairly round waffle with stray "strands".

I hadn't thought about "friggin' huge burgers" at the time!

You brainiac!

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Mon 04 Dec 2006 08:37:07a, Andy meant to say...

> Dave Smith said...

>>> None of the waffle irons I've owned had different settings, and it's
>>> never been a problem.

>> My parents had one. I was given one many years ago and bought a
>> new one about two years ago. None of them had heat settings, nor
>> did any I say in stores. I cook them until they stop steaming.
>> It is important to cook them completely before opening the lid.

> Dave,
>
> The Cuisinart has a red/green light. Red for coming up to temp --> Green
> to add batter --> back to Red while cooking --> Green again, when the
> waffle is finished cooking. It loops back to Red after the waffle is
> removed and the iron is reheating.
>
> Kinda/sorta idiot proof, in the right hands.
>
> Andy

Well, you're no idiot, but I hope your colorblind! :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright

I don't necessarily agree with everything I say.
(Marshall McLuhan)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Mon 04 Dec 2006 08:57:01a, Andy meant to say...

> Wayne Boatwright said...
>
>>> The Cuisinart has a red/green light. Red for coming up to temp -->

Green
>>> to add batter --> back to Red while cooking --> Green again, when the
>>> waffle is finished cooking. It loops back to Red after the waffle is
>>> removed and the iron is reheating.
>>>
>>> Kinda/sorta idiot proof, in the right hands.
>>>
>>> Andy
>>>

>> Well, you're no idiot, but I hope your colorblind! :-)

> Wayne,
>
> Why yes... yes I am!
>
> Andy

Uh, I *meant* to say I hope you're *not* colorblind. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright

I don't necessarily agree with everything I say.
(Marshall McLuhan)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> > My iron only has two settings, off and on :-( I need a better iron...
> >

> None of the waffle irons I've owned had different settings, and it's never
> been a problem.

My parents had one. I was given one many years ago and bought a
new one about two years ago. None of them had heat settings, nor
did any I say in stores. I cook them until they stop steaming.
It is important to cook them completely before opening the lid.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith said...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>

>> > My iron only has two settings, off and on :-( I need a better iron...
>> >

>> None of the waffle irons I've owned had different settings, and it's

never
>> been a problem.

> My parents had one. I was given one many years ago and bought a
> new one about two years ago. None of them had heat settings, nor
> did any I say in stores. I cook them until they stop steaming.
> It is important to cook them completely before opening the lid.

Dave,

The Cuisinart has a red/green light. Red for coming up to temp --> Green to
add batter --> back to Red while cooking --> Green again, when the waffle
is finished cooking. It loops back to Red after the waffle is removed and
the iron is reheating.

Kinda/sorta idiot proof, in the right hands.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Mon 04 Dec 2006 09:32:40a, Andy meant to say...

> Wayne Boatwright said...
>
>> Oh pshaw, on Mon 04 Dec 2006 08:57:01a, Andy meant to say...
>>
>>> Wayne Boatwright said...

>>> Wayne,
>>>
>>> Why yes... yes I am!
>>>
>>> Andy
>>>

>> Uh, I *meant* to say I hope you're *not* colorblind. :-)

> Wayne,
>
> Why yes... that too!
>
> Andy
> Fickle Foodie

See how you are!

--
Wayne Boatwright

I don't necessarily agree with everything I say.
(Marshall McLuhan)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright said...

>> The Cuisinart has a red/green light. Red for coming up to temp --> Green
>> to add batter --> back to Red while cooking --> Green again, when the
>> waffle is finished cooking. It loops back to Red after the waffle is
>> removed and the iron is reheating.
>>
>> Kinda/sorta idiot proof, in the right hands.
>>
>> Andy
>>

> Well, you're no idiot, but I hope your colorblind! :-)

Wayne,

Why yes... yes I am!

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright said...

> Oh pshaw, on Mon 04 Dec 2006 08:57:01a, Andy meant to say...
>
>> Wayne Boatwright said...

> Green

>>> Well, you're no idiot, but I hope your colorblind! :-)

>> Wayne,
>>
>> Why yes... yes I am!
>>
>> Andy
>>

> Uh, I *meant* to say I hope you're *not* colorblind. :-)

Wayne,

Why yes... that too!

Andy
Fickle Foodie

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright said...

> Oh pshaw, on Mon 04 Dec 2006 09:32:40a, Andy meant to say...
>
>> Wayne Boatwright said...
>>
>>> Oh pshaw, on Mon 04 Dec 2006 08:57:01a, Andy meant to say...

>>> Uh, I *meant* to say I hope you're *not* colorblind. :-)

>> Wayne,
>>
>> Why yes... that too!
>>
>> Andy
>> Fickle Foodie
>>

> See how you are!

Every morning!

/)

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article 9>, Wayne
Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> says...
> Andy, whatever batter you use to make waffles needs to be thin enough to be
> pourable and should not require spreading out on the waffle iron. The
> "trick" of course, is to pour enough batter but not so much that it
> overflows. As you're experimenting with batters and quantities, measure
> what you pour in and make a note of how much it takes to fill the iron
> completely. In my case, it's 1/2 cup. After that, measure for each
> waffle.
>
> If you like the crunchiness/crispness of cornmeal, you can sub 1/2 cup of
> cornmeal for 1/2 cup flour in the recipe I posted. You may need to adjust
> the liquid because cornmeal absorbs differently than flour.
>
> Good luck!

The best waffles are yeast-based and rise overnight (the batter). It
takes a little planning ahead but it is worth it. There's a recipe on my
website (below)

--
Peter Aitken
Visit my recipe and kitchen myths pages at www.pgacon.com/cooking.htm
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

> BTW, in waffle nomenclature, are they nooks or crannies or what?

Hi Andy:

I think they're "pockets". Belgian waffles have bigger pockets than
regular waffles.

The wife got one of the fancy rotate-the-iron Belgian wafflemakers.
Adjustable temperature is nice as the family has different preferences.
The girls like it so much that they use it more than the wife does. I
rarely eat waffles anymore. Not cause I don't like 'em.....but because
I DO.... :-)

Best -- Terry
....who is trying to avoid looking like a balloon with feet....

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

> The Cuisinart has a red/green light. Red for coming up to temp --> Green to
> add batter --> back to Red while cooking --> Green again, when the waffle
> is finished cooking. It loops back to Red after the waffle is removed and
> the iron is reheating.
>
> Kinda/sorta idiot proof, in the right hands.

The key words being "in the right hands" :-)
My Proctor just has an range light to indicate that is is heating
up. It goes out when it reaches it's cooking temperature, and
it's going out just means the iron is a the prescribed
temperature, and not that the waffle is done.

I watch for the steam to stop and then lift gently. It it doesn't
come up easily it tells me that the dough is still elastic and
therefore not done.

REC: Gingersnaps (made with Crisco) Damsel in dis Dress[_1_] General Cooking 0 25-06-2007 07:34 AM
Trans-fat free Crisco Steve Pope General Cooking 22 26-12-2006 05:24 PM
crisco? Jen General Cooking 32 05-12-2006 01:54 PM
Crisco's GrilledCornSalad [email protected] Recipes (moderated) 0 29-08-2006 03:33 AM
Crisco Pie Pastry Christine Dabney General Cooking 29 03-11-2005 01:04 AM