Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Traditional dessert in England?

Oh pshaw, on Mon 04 Dec 2006 09:34:44p, Terry Pulliam Burd meant to say...

> On 4 Dec 2006 20:22:55 -0800, "Albert" >
> rummaged among random neurons and opined:
>
>>Hi, I'm researching about Christmas and I was wondering what the
>>traditional dessert in England was?
>>
>>Is it apple pie or plum pudding or what?

> Give a shot at a trifle:
>
> @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>
> Trifle
>
> desserts
>
> pound cake
> berries
> jam; same as berries
> American golden custard
> whipped cream
> sherry
>
> Cut cake to fit trifle bowl and soak with sherry (about 1/2 cup). Let
> sit overnight. Cook custard according to directions and chill. Shortly
> before serving, spread jam on cake, cover with jam, spread custard
> over jam and top with whipped cream. Top with berries.
>
> Contributor: Anne Hughes
>
> Yield: 12 servings

I love trifle, but I prefer using sponge cake over pound cake. It seems
like the sponge cake more readily takes up some of the moisture, but the
pound cake simply turns mushy. Maybe mine has more liquid, as I douse the
cake pieces lightly with brandy or rum.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Due to circumstances within our control, tomorrow
will be cancelled.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Hi, I'm researching about Christmas and I was wondering what the
traditional dessert in England was?

Is it apple pie or plum pudding or what?

Thanks

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Plum Pudding, doused with brandy and lit at the table, served with
brandy butter.

More "modern" of a Brit Christmas dessert is a fancily decorated round
cake - more like a fruit/nut type, not chocolate or yellow

Kris

Albert wrote:
> Hi, I'm researching about Christmas and I was wondering what the
> traditional dessert in England was?
>
> Is it apple pie or plum pudding or what?
>
> Thanks

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4 Dec 2006 20:22:55 -0800, "Albert" >
rummaged among random neurons and opined:

>Hi, I'm researching about Christmas and I was wondering what the
>traditional dessert in England was?
>
>Is it apple pie or plum pudding or what?

Give a shot at a trifle:

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Trifle

desserts

pound cake
berries
jam; same as berries
American golden custard
whipped cream
sherry

Cut cake to fit trifle bowl and soak with sherry (about 1/2 cup). Let
sit overnight. Cook custard according to directions and chill. Shortly
before serving, spread jam on cake, cover with jam, spread custard
over jam and top with whipped cream. Top with berries.

Contributor: Anne Hughes

Yield: 12 servings

Terry Pulliam Burd

"Most vigitaryans I iver see looked enough like their food to be
classed as cannybals."

Finley Peter Dunne (1900)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Albert wrote:
> Hi, I'm researching about Christmas and I was wondering what the
> traditional dessert in England was?
>
> Is it apple pie or plum pudding or what?

Whatever you do don't watch FoodTV.....I lost it after some dumb bitch
asked if Yorkshire Pudding was "dessert or what are we supposed to do
with this?".

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Albert wrote:
> Hi, I'm researching about Christmas and I was wondering what the
> traditional dessert in England was?
>
> Is it apple pie or plum pudding or what?

Traditional English Christmas pudding is a form of plum pudding. More
about it he
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plum_pudding
As is always the case with anything from wikipedia, verify it from
other sources if you're at all serious about your research. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Albert" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hi, I'm researching about Christmas and I was wondering what the
> traditional dessert in England was?
>
> Is it apple pie or plum pudding or what?

Surely there would have to be lots of traditional desserts. Why would a
whole country only have *one* dessert that was traditional?

Jen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Albert" > wrote in
ups.com:

> Hi, I'm researching about Christmas and I was wondering what the
> traditional dessert in England was?
>
> Is it apple pie or plum pudding or what?

Nope. It's called 'Spotted Dick'.

First, get a permanent marker (preferably a red one)......

then..............

:-)

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

'Enjoy today, it was paid for by a veteran'

http://www.beccycole.com/albums/vide...ter_girl.shtml

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Albert wrote:

> Hi, I'm researching about Christmas and I was wondering what the
> traditional dessert in England was?
>
> Is it apple pie or plum pudding or what?

My father's parents were English. The traditional Christmas
dessert was carrot pudding with caramel sauce, and there were
always plenty of mince meat tarts and shortbread cookies.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jen > wrote:

>"Albert" > wrote in message

>> Is it apple pie or plum pudding or what?

>Surely there would have to be lots of traditional desserts. Why would a
>whole country only have *one* dessert that was traditional?

Indeed.

However: Stilton and Port.

S.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Albert > wrote:

> Hi, I'm researching about Christmas and I was wondering what the
> traditional dessert in England was?
>
> Is it apple pie or plum pudding or what?

It's Christmas pudding, served doused in brandy and lit, with a holly
sprig in the top, and accompanied by your choice of custard, double
cream and/or brandy butter. Sometimes the hostess will provide a gateau
as well for those that really don't like Xmas pud. Traditionally the
pudding was made six months in advance, with all members of the family
having a stir of the mixture for luck, and some silver sixpences or
charms included in the mixture for the children, and allowed to mature,
but people often just get one in the supemarket now (after reading a few
reviews about which is this year's most tasty brand to buy!) (Sixpences
are no longer included)

Here's a typical recipe (watch the line wrap):
<http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/t...pudding,1234,R
C.html>

HTH

Deb (in Surrey, England)
--
http://www.scientific-art.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Hello, Jen!
You wrote on Tue, 05 Dec 2006 05:52:35 GMT:

J> "Albert" > wrote in message
J> ups.com...
??>> Hi, I'm researching about Christmas and I was wondering
??>> what the traditional dessert in England was?
??>>
??>> Is it apple pie or plum pudding or what?

J> Surely there would have to be lots of traditional desserts.
J> Why would a whole country only have *one* dessert that was
J> traditional?

I don't know, didn't Voltaire say that the English had a hundred
religions and one sauce?

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

LOL! I forgot that quote until now. Thanks for the chuckle...

Kris

James Silverton wrote:
> Hello, Jen!
> You wrote on Tue, 05 Dec 2006 05:52:35 GMT:
>

> J> "Albert" > wrote in message
> J> ups.com...
> ??>> Hi, I'm researching about Christmas and I was wondering
> ??>> what the traditional dessert in England was?
> ??>>
> ??>> Is it apple pie or plum pudding or what?
>
> J> Surely there would have to be lots of traditional desserts.
> J> Why would a whole country only have *one* dessert that was
> J> traditional?
>
> I don't know, didn't Voltaire say that the English had a hundred
> religions and one sauce?
>
> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland
>
> E-mail, with obvious alterations:
> not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 05 Dec 2006 01:08:44 -0500, in rec.food.cooking, Dave Smith wrote:

>Albert wrote:
>>
>> Hi, I'm researching about Christmas and I was wondering what the
>> traditional dessert in England was?
>>
>> Is it apple pie or plum pudding or what?

>My father's parents were English. The traditional Christmas
>dessert was carrot pudding with caramel sauce, and there were
>always plenty of mince meat tarts and shortbread cookies.

Never heard of it. Trying to find a recipe takes me to US sites.

However, if you go to
http://thefoody.com/sitemap.html
and wait for it to load, you will find a carrot pudding there along with a
lot of other British puddings. But the carrot pudding there is served with
custard.
Ah, here it is again, poor folks Victorian pudding:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A823286

Better yet:
According to the 1881 Household Cyclopedia, Carrot pudding can be made in
the following way.

Take 1/4 peck of carrots, boil and mash them well; then add 1/2 pound
flour, 1/2 pound currants, 1/2 pound raisins, 1/2 pound suet chopped fine,
1/2 cup of sugar, 2 tablespoonful of cinnamon, 1 tea" spoonful of
allspice. Boil four hours, and serve hot with sauce flavored with Madeira
wine.

See also:

* Wikipedia Cookbook

So, it looks as though it is an old British or English dessert no longer
in fashion. I like the idea of Madeira wine sauce!

In fact it is Mrs. Beeton's. So, it is a traditional 19th and early 20th
century dessert, fascinating. I'd prefer Eton Mess or Syllabub. Or Trifle,
which is very traditional.

I left out another very traditional dessert, bread and butter pudding.
Used to get it near at a diner near my parents' when they lived in
Alexandria Virginia. But very traditionally English.

As others have said, there is no traditional pudding. Christmas pudding
is traditional at Christmas, but not at other times.

Sponge pudding is typical. Eton Mess is delicious. Sticky toffee pudding
is traditional in some areas. Atholl Brose.
--
Doug Weller --
A Director and Moderator of The Hall of Ma'at http://www.hallofmaat.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jen wrote:
> "Albert" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> > Hi, I'm researching about Christmas and I was wondering what the
> > traditional dessert in England was?
> >
> > Is it apple pie or plum pudding or what?

> Surely there would have to be lots of traditional desserts. Why would a
> whole country only have *one* dessert that was traditional?
>

> Jen

Not only that, but my understanding (might be wrong) that "pudding" was
used as sort of an all-purpose term meaning "dessert," in general.

N.

(My Anglophile grandmama always made plum pudding, although no liquor
ever touched her lips, baked or otherwise.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Hello, Nancy2!
You wrote on 5 Dec 2006 12:28:32 -0800:

N> Jen wrote:
??>> "Albert" > wrote in message
??>>
ups.com...
??>>> Hi, I'm researching about Christmas and I was wondering
??>>> what the traditional dessert in England was?
??>>>
??>>> Is it apple pie or plum pudding or what?
??>>
??>> Surely there would have to be lots of traditional
??>> desserts. Why would a whole country only have *one*
??>> dessert that was traditional?
??>>
??>> Jen

N> Not only that, but my understanding (might be wrong) that
N> "pudding" was used as sort of an all-purpose term meaning
N> "dessert," in general.

To the best of my knowledge, based on being brought up in the
UK, reading books by British authors and watching PBS
television, you are quite correct. To quote, "Let's have
ice-cream for pudding".

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jke Jke is offline

"Albert" > schreef in bericht
ups.com...
> Hi, I'm researching about Christmas and I was wondering what the
> traditional dessert in England was?
>
> Is it apple pie or plum pudding or what?
>
> Thanks

May I recommend this website? Info and reliable recipes from a famous public
tv-station:

www.bbc.co.uk/food

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jke wrote:
> "Albert" > schreef in bericht
> ups.com...
>> Hi, I'm researching about Christmas and I was wondering what the
>> traditional dessert in England was?
>>
>> Is it apple pie or plum pudding or what?
>>
>> Thanks
>>

> May I recommend this website? Info and reliable recipes from a famous public
> tv-station:
>
> www.bbc.co.uk/food

I was directed to this website from someone from Scotland that I talked
to in another NG...It's for Christmas pudding...It looks very yummy!

http://www.britainexpress.com/articl...as-pudding.htm

--
"I'm a follower of the Tao of Peter Parker." Nicodemus must have been a
DC comics fan, because he didn't get it. - The Dresden Files
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jke Jke is offline

"Ravenlynne" > schreef in bericht
> Jke wrote:
>> "Albert" > schreef in bericht
>> ups.com...
>>> Hi, I'm researching about Christmas and I was wondering what the
>>> traditional dessert in England was?
>>>
>>> Is it apple pie or plum pudding or what?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>

>> May I recommend this website? Info and reliable recipes from a famous
>> public tv-station:
>>
>> www.bbc.co.uk/food

> I was directed to this website from someone from Scotland that I talked to
> in another NG...It's for Christmas pudding...It looks very yummy!
>
> http://www.britainexpress.com/articl...as-pudding.htm
>
>> Christmas Pudding
>> Cook it British!
>>
>> Brian Turner's Favourite British Recipes

It's funny: Brian Turner is a tv cook for the BBS.

It you're intersted in TV cooks, you might like this site, too:

http://www.uktvfood.co.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 04 Dec 2006 20:34:44 -0800, Terry Pulliam Burd
> wrote:

>On 4 Dec 2006 20:22:55 -0800, "Albert" >
>rummaged among random neurons and opined:
>
>>Hi, I'm researching about Christmas and I was wondering what the
>>traditional dessert in England was?
>>
>>Is it apple pie or plum pudding or what?

>Give a shot at a trifle:
>
>@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>
>Trifle
>
>desserts
>
> pound cake
> berries
> jam; same as berries
> American golden custard
> whipped cream
> sherry
>
>Cut cake to fit trifle bowl and soak with sherry (about 1/2 cup). Let
>sit overnight. Cook custard according to directions and chill. Shortly
>before serving, spread jam on cake, cover with jam, spread custard
>over jam and top with whipped cream. Top with berries.

that's not how you make a trifle! The ingredients are right but the
beauty of a trifle is that it all sits in the bowl together and melds
into a trifle-flavoured mush. You're meant to use a Swiss Roll (jam
roll) for the base. Cut it into slices and lay it in a bowl and
sprinkle port or sweet sherry on it... then put the fruit inside the
layer of cake and pour HOT custard over it all.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:
> On Mon, 04 Dec 2006 20:34:44 -0800, Terry Pulliam Burd
> > wrote:
>
>> On 4 Dec 2006 20:22:55 -0800, "Albert" >
>> rummaged among random neurons and opined:
>>
>>> Hi, I'm researching about Christmas and I was wondering what the
>>> traditional dessert in England was?
>>>
>>> Is it apple pie or plum pudding or what?

>> Give a shot at a trifle:
>>
>> @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>>
>> Trifle
>>
>> desserts
>>
>> pound cake
>> berries
>> jam; same as berries
>> American golden custard
>> whipped cream
>> sherry
>>
>> Cut cake to fit trifle bowl and soak with sherry (about 1/2 cup). Let
>> sit overnight. Cook custard according to directions and chill. Shortly
>> before serving, spread jam on cake, cover with jam, spread custard
>> over jam and top with whipped cream. Top with berries.

> that's not how you make a trifle! The ingredients are right but the
> beauty of a trifle is that it all sits in the bowl together and melds
> into a trifle-flavoured mush. You're meant to use a Swiss Roll (jam
> roll) for the base. Cut it into slices and lay it in a bowl and
> sprinkle port or sweet sherry on it... then put the fruit inside the
> layer of cake and pour HOT custard over it all.

I made one with pannetone...cube it, drizzle with brandy, top with
fruit...top the fruit with custard cream, repeat until bowl is full and
let sit in fridge for 24 hours.

--
"I'm a follower of the Tao of Peter Parker." Nicodemus must have been a
DC comics fan, because he didn't get it. - The Dresden Files

Anyone in new england got a gloop? hutchndi Sourdough 6 18-11-2008 02:28 AM
NEW ENGLAND COOK-IN Felice General Cooking 13 18-07-2008 05:13 PM
Tea growing in England Dog Ma 1 Tea 3 05-11-2005 02:38 AM
Tea in England Dave Croft Tea 2 27-01-2004 10:19 PM