Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Would you put a frozen roast in the crock pot

I never tried it. Thawing one out first kind of seems pointless.
Bad idea?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry said...

> I never tried it. Thawing one out first kind of seems pointless.
> Bad idea?

I might try it if it could rest on a "rack" so heat could circulate around
the roast on all sides?? Maybe flip every so often?

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry wrote:
> I never tried it. Thawing one out first kind of seems pointless.
> Bad idea?

I've done it with an electric roaster; not sure a crock pot has enough
watts. At least it should thaw a lot faster than sitting on the kitchen
counter dripping bloody "juice" all over the place.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I have one of the older crockpots from the 70's, so it's not as hot as the
current ones. I put a frozen turkey breast in there every so often with
some cranberry gel and onion soup mix squish up in it. Sounds odd, but it
turns out delicious and done by dinner time.

Lynne

"Terry" > wrote in message
ups.com...
>I never tried it. Thawing one out first kind of seems pointless.
> Bad idea?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 13, 1:49�pm, "Terry" > wrote:
> I never tried it. *Thawing one out first kind of seems pointless.
> Bad idea?

Not smart... what if it's a large roast and takes two days to
defrost... and you don't even say what kind of roast, what if it's a
turkey breast. Try it, let us know if you live. I think with a slow
cooker is the very worst way to defrost meat, or anything.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 13 Mar 2007 11:54:56 -0700, "Sheldon" > wrote:

>On Mar 13, 1:49?pm, "Terry" > wrote:
>> I never tried it. hawing one out first kind of seems pointless.
>> Bad idea?

>Not smart... what if it's a large roast and takes two days to
>defrost... and you don't even say what kind of roast, what if it's a
>turkey breast. Try it, let us know if you live. I think with a slow
>cooker is the very worst way to defrost meat, or anything.
>
>Sheldon

I agree with this. Plus, while it is defrosting in the crockpot, it
is spending much too long a time in the danger zone, where tons of bad
microbes can grow. It needs to get up past the danger zone fast, so
that any dangerous microbes are killed off.

I personally wouldn't risk it.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry wrote on 13 Mar 2007 in rec.food.cooking

> I never tried it. Thawing one out first kind of seems pointless.
> Bad idea?

I've done frozen ribs in a crockpot but never tried a frozen roast.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry wrote:
> I never tried it. Thawing one out first kind of seems pointless.
> Bad idea?

I don't know about the crock pot but my aunt used to do a chuck roast on the
stovetop in a covered skillet for a couple of hours. She said add 3-4 cups
water, a couple of bay leaves, salt & pepper and then just bring it to a
simmer and let it simmer for 2-3 hours.

It was actually a very good "from frozen" pot roast. She needed simple.
She was legally blind.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Terry" > wrote in message
ups.com...
>I never tried it. Thawing one out first kind of seems pointless.
> Bad idea?

I think so--because the browned flavor makes it, to me. Gotta brown it first
or it won't be delicious!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Terry" > wrote in message
ups.com...
>I never tried it. Thawing one out first kind of seems pointless.
> Bad idea?

I always thaw the meat, so I can brown it well, and deglaze the frying pan
with either water or wine & add that to the crock pot. For this type of
cooking chuck is the best.

Harriet & critters

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Harriet Neal wrote:
> "Terry" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>> I never tried it. Thawing one out first kind of seems pointless.
>> Bad idea?

> I always thaw the meat, so I can brown it well, and deglaze the frying pan
> with either water or wine & add that to the crock pot. For this type of
> cooking chuck is the best.
>
> Harriet & critters

One *could* brown the meat while it's still mostly frozen. That would
also kill most of the bacteria on the surface that could cause spoilage
if it took too long to thaw in the cp.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Reg Reg is offline

Terry wrote:

> I never tried it. Thawing one out first kind of seems pointless.
> Bad idea?

Yep, bad idea. Rapid thawing will ruin the texture and you'll
end up with dry meat after cooking, even using a wet cooking
method.

--
Reg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 13, 5:35�pm, Reg > wrote:
> Terry wrote:
> > I never tried it. *Thawing one out first kind of seems pointless.
> > Bad idea?

> Yep, bad idea. Rapid thawing will ruin the texture and you'll
> end up with dry meat after cooking, even using a wet cooking
> method.

With stew it makes no differece to texture whether meat is thawed slow
or fast (so long as it's thawed safe), with stew the only thing that
affects texture is length of time cooked. And if someone is cooking a
meat dish where texture matters, like a rib roast rare, then it never
should have been frozen. Of course for those who cook rib roast well
done nothing matters, those have taste in ass disease so doesn't make
any difference if you feed them shit.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Well, I will wade in with my results. I've done both a frozen roast
and frozen chicken parts, breasts to be exact. Had perfect results
each time and nobody died or even got sick. Mine is a West Bend
rectangle slow cooker/crockpot that sits on a separate heating unit.
The dial goes from 1-5 and I pretty much cook things on 3 - 3 1/2. I
didn't try browning it first and it turned out great. Within about 2
hours, perhaps a bit more, of expected dinner time I chunked in a
bunch of veggies such as potatoes, carrots, whole pearl onions, and
fresh button mushrooms. From start to finish was 8-9 hours, depending
on the size of the roast.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote:
> Well, I will wade in with my results. *I've done both a frozen roast
> and frozen chicken parts, breasts to be exact. *

You allude to a roast but then quickly switch to chicken parts...
chicken parts do not qualify as a roast... you're being deceptive. So
now if you try back pedaling I wouldn't believe you if your keyboard
were notarized.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 13 Mar 2007 10:49:58 -0700, "Terry" > wrote:

>I never tried it. Thawing one out first kind of seems pointless.
>Bad idea?

I put frozen meat -- chicken, chuck roast, pork butt -- in my
crockpot. You aren't supposed to, but I do. I'm not dead yet.

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Reg Reg is offline

Sheldon wrote:

> On Mar 13, 5:35�pm, Reg > wrote:
>

>>Yep, bad idea. Rapid thawing will ruin the texture and you'll
>>end up with dry meat after cooking, even using a wet cooking
>>method.

> With stew it makes no differece to texture whether meat is thawed slow
> or fast (so long as it's thawed safe), with stew the only thing that
> affects texture is length of time cooked.

I couldn't disagree more, but it's hardly the first time.

--
Reg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:
> On Mar 13, 5:35�pm, Reg > wrote:
>> Terry wrote:
>>> I never tried it. �Thawing one out first kind of seems pointless.
>>> Bad idea?

>> Yep, bad idea. Rapid thawing will ruin the texture and you'll
>> end up with dry meat after cooking, even using a wet cooking
>> method.

> With stew it makes no differece to texture whether meat is thawed slow
> or fast (so long as it's thawed safe), with stew the only thing that
> affects texture is length of time cooked. And if someone is cooking a
> meat dish where texture matters, like a rib roast rare, then it never
> should have been frozen. Of course for those who cook rib roast well
> done nothing matters, those have taste in ass disease so doesn't make
> any difference if you feed them shit.
>
> Sheldon

yule figure it out

YOUR MUTHER****ING DADDY
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 13, 6:16 pm, Tara > wrote:
> On 13 Mar 2007 10:49:58 -0700, "Terry" > wrote:
>
> >I never tried it. Thawing one out first kind of seems pointless.
> >Bad idea?

> I put frozen meat -- chicken, chuck roast, pork butt -- in my
> crockpot. You aren't supposed to, but I do. I'm not dead yet.
>
> Tara

I've had no problem either with putting frozen meats in the crockpot.
Like you, I've done chicken, chuck roast, and I did forget to mention
in my previous post that on Sunday I did a nice Boston Butt. Frozen
as hard as a concrete block and came out fall apart tender. Sheldon,
are you reading this?? That's right, I also do chicken breasts in the
crockpot - FROZEN when they are put in there.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 12:59:30 -0600, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

>On 13 Mar 2007 11:54:56 -0700, "Sheldon" > wrote:
>
>>On Mar 13, 1:49?pm, "Terry" > wrote:
>>> I never tried it. hawing one out first kind of seems pointless.
>>> Bad idea?

>>Not smart... what if it's a large roast and takes two days to
>>defrost... and you don't even say what kind of roast, what if it's a
>>turkey breast. Try it, let us know if you live. I think with a slow
>>cooker is the very worst way to defrost meat, or anything.
>>
>>Sheldon

>I agree with this. Plus, while it is defrosting in the crockpot, it
>is spending much too long a time in the danger zone, where tons of bad
>microbes can grow. It needs to get up past the danger zone fast, so
>that any dangerous microbes are killed off.
>
>I personally wouldn't risk it.

Ok I will be safe and not sorry.

Thanks all

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I have cooked tens, if not hundreds of roasts in my crock pot. I almost
always put them in frozen solid (otherwise they cook way too fast). I have
also done whole chickens (not my favourite but many love chicken done this
way), but my fave is beef, pot roast- blade, cheap rump, or silverside,
corned or not corned. Always, always turns out great, and no signs of
anyone getting even a teensy bit sick, ever. I am on a large crock pot list
and this topic comes up very regularly, I have never heard of any bad
outcome from putting frozen roasts straight into the CP, and cooking them
from frozen. Well other than maybe overcooked meat sometimes ;-)
ups.com...