Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Bare minimum pantry necessities?

Heya folks,

I am unpacking my kitchen stuff and gradually getting my tiny little
kitchen here in this apartment together. Yesterday, I had to go out
to get some of my basics. However, I am trying to keep my
fridge/pantry contents to a basic/bare minimum.

I got onions, carrots, celery, garlic, Italian parsley, and some
ginger. I didn't see any lemons I would want to buy (at least for the
price they were!!). I also got some apples, some bread, milk, and
cream and some sugar (brown and granulated). And a can or two of
tomatoes.

I had brought some things already, like flour, yeast, spices,
ingredients for Asian cooking, a few types of vinegars I use
regularly, oils I use regularly. A few baking ingredients, such as
baking powder, baking soda, and some Wondra flour. I had some dried
fruits already, so I brought those with me. I have tea and coffee
already. I didn't bring any Worcestershire sauce, so I know if I need
that, I will probably have to get some.

At home, I have a very extensive pantry. All kinds of grains, beans,
flours, condiments, etc. When I was packing up to come here, I tried
to bring stuff I knew I would be using regularly.

I was just going over all this in my mind, and I was wondering what
you all think of as your essential pantry: those ingredients that you
use a lot and want to always have on hand. I am not thinking of
exhaustive lists...in some cases less is more. I find myself coming
around to this more and more.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney > wrote in
:

> I was just going over all this in my mind, and I was wondering what
> you all think of as your essential pantry: those ingredients that you
> use a lot and want to always have on hand. I am not thinking of
> exhaustive lists...in some cases less is more. I find myself coming
> around to this more and more.
>
> Christine

add
rice, potatoes, pasta, hot sauce, mustard flour, eggs, milk, cheese,
garlic, bread crumbs, bacon, ap flour, stock, sherry, herbs of choice,
dried mushrooms...with fresh veggies and fresh meat many things are
possible.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Elbonian Folklore

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:

> I got onions, carrots, celery, garlic, Italian parsley, and some
> ginger. I didn't see any lemons I would want to buy (at least for the
> price they were!!). I also got some apples, some bread, milk, and
> cream and some sugar (brown and granulated). And a can or two of
> tomatoes.
>
> I had brought some things already, like flour, yeast, spices,
> ingredients for Asian cooking, a few types of vinegars I use
> regularly, oils I use regularly. A few baking ingredients, such as
> baking powder, baking soda, and some Wondra flour. I had some dried
> fruits already, so I brought those with me. I have tea and coffee
> already. I didn't bring any Worcestershire sauce, so I know if I need
> that, I will probably have to get some.

No salt? I'd have salt before lots of the stuff
you mention. Mustard is nice, too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

:

>add
>rice, potatoes, pasta, hot sauce, mustard flour, eggs, milk, cheese,
>garlic, bread crumbs, bacon, ap flour, stock, sherry, herbs of choice,
>dried mushrooms...with fresh veggies and fresh meat many things are
>possible.

That's your bare minimum? I am not talking about a complete pantry
here...just what are the absolute basic things you have to have...not
the complete pantry.

I love all of those things myself...but those aren't my bare minimum
needs.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine wrote on Sat, 01 Mar 2008 18:52:34 -0800:

CD> I am unpacking my kitchen stuff and gradually getting my
CD> tiny little kitchen here in this apartment together.
CD> Yesterday, I had to go out to get some of my basics.
CD> However, I am trying to keep my fridge/pantry contents to a
CD> basic/bare minimum.

CD> I got onions, carrots, celery, garlic, Italian parsley, and
CD> some ginger. I didn't see any lemons I would want to buy

We often went thro' this process when we rented apartments in
faraway places, like Hawaii and Switzerland. There was usually a
supermarket within reach where we could buy the makings of the
first meal and I would say that we made sure we had salt and
pepper (the last renter usually left these), milk, orange juice,
onions, garlic, lemons or limes, olive oil, some fruit and bread
for our first breakfast and soy sauce. Others were added as
needed, with luck being bought in quantities small enough to
leave without regrets.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 01 Mar 2008 19:03:17 -0800, Mark Thorson >
wrote:

>No salt? I'd have salt before lots of the stuff
>you mention. Mustard is nice, too.

I said spices: I include salt and pepper in those spices. Yes..mustard
is nice, but not a bare minimum necessity for me. What I have
currently is not necessarily bare minimum.

Okay, my bare minimum are these things, to give you all an idea of
what I mean. I listed those things that I have on hand now, but they
set off my train of thinking of what I could get by with at the
minimum.

Olive oil, herbs and spices, celery, carrots, onions, garlic. I could
probably do without the ginger, but the other 4 are essential items to
much of what I cook. I use canned tomatoes a lot, so at least one can
of them in the pantry. I use cannola oil for the other major cooking
oil. I can live without many Asian ingredients.

Eggs are essential..as is butter, cream, milk. If I start to run low
or out, I had better get some soon, cause I use them a lot. Parmesan
cheese is almost essential to my cooking too. Other cheeses not so
much, although maybe I would put cheddar on my list. Bread is
essential to me.

Pasta is nice, but I don't have to have it. Same with rice and beans.
I use a lot of Italian parsley, so that goes on my essential list. Tea
is my caffeine drink of choice, so I need that. I use sugar in
various things, and I use flour in baking. So those go on the
essential lists. I could make pasta with flour, salt, water and eggs,
if I needed too: I would already have the essential ingredients.

I know I am forgetting a lot of things that I consider essential. I
know mustard is nice..and maybe I should put Dijon mustard on the
essential list, as it goes into many dishes I fix.

Anyway...this may give you a better idea.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 02 Mar 2008 03:09:31 GMT, "James Silverton"
> wrote:

>We often went thro' this process when we rented apartments in
>faraway places, like Hawaii and Switzerland. There was usually a
>supermarket within reach where we could buy the makings of the
>first meal and I would say that we made sure we had salt and
>pepper (the last renter usually left these), milk, orange juice,
>onions, garlic, lemons or limes, olive oil, some fruit and bread
>for our first breakfast and soy sauce. Others were added as
>needed, with luck being bought in quantities small enough to
>leave without regrets.

Okay, this is more of the idea I had in mind. I am getting together
what I consider essential items..with others to be gotten later on. I
can do a hell of a lot with just the basics (what I consider my
basics). I realize that others may consider their basics to be
totally different.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

James wrote to Christine Dabney on Sun, 02 Mar 2008 03:09:31
GMT:

CD>> I am unpacking my kitchen stuff and gradually getting my
CD>> tiny little kitchen here in this apartment together.
CD>> Yesterday, I had to go out to get some of my basics.
CD>> However, I am trying to keep my fridge/pantry contents to
CD>> a basic/bare minimum.

CD>> I got onions, carrots, celery, garlic, Italian parsley,
CD>> and some ginger. I didn't see any lemons I would want to
CD>> buy

JS> We often went thro' this process when we rented apartments
JS> in faraway places, like Hawaii and Switzerland. There was
JS> usually a supermarket within reach where we could buy the
JS> makings of the first meal and I would say that we made sure
JS> we had salt and pepper (the last renter usually left
JS> these), milk, orange juice, onions, garlic, lemons or
JS> limes, olive oil, some fruit and bread for our first
JS> breakfast and soy sauce. Others were added as needed, with
JS> luck being bought in quantities small enough to leave
JS> without regrets.

I should also add sugar and we brought instant coffee and
teabags with us. Usually, I'd buy ground real coffee if there
was a coffee maker in the apartment.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney > wrote in
:

> On Sun, 02 Mar 2008 03:01:23 GMT, hahabogus > wrote:
>
>>Christine Dabney > wrote in
m:

>>add
>>rice, potatoes, pasta, hot sauce, mustard flour, eggs, milk, cheese,
>>garlic, bread crumbs, bacon, ap flour, stock, sherry, herbs of choice,
>>dried mushrooms...with fresh veggies and fresh meat many things are
>>possible.

> That's your bare minimum? I am not talking about a complete pantry
> here...just what are the absolute basic things you have to have...not
> the complete pantry.
>
> I love all of those things myself...but those aren't my bare minimum
> needs.
>
> Christine

Bare minium would be only salt and pepper...but to truly enjoy a meal
those are the things I keep in stock at all times. Not just a item added
to fix one book recipe that interested me, but for those times I drag my
ass home from work tired and feel like making something fast and easy.
Oh...and canola oil as well.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Elbonian Folklore

Posted to rec.food.cooking

:

>>>add
>>>rice, potatoes, pasta, hot sauce, mustard flour, eggs, milk, cheese,
>>>garlic, bread crumbs, bacon, ap flour, stock, sherry, herbs of choice,
>>>dried mushrooms...with fresh veggies and fresh meat many things are
>>>possible.

>> That's your bare minimum? I am not talking about a complete pantry
>> here...just what are the absolute basic things you have to have...not
>> the complete pantry.
>>
>> I love all of those things myself...but those aren't my bare minimum
>> needs.
>>
>> Christine
>>

> Bare minium would be only salt and pepper...but to truly enjoy a meal
> those are the things I keep in stock at all times. Not just a item added
> to fix one book recipe that interested me, but for those times I drag my
> ass home from work tired and feel like making something fast and easy.
> Oh...and canola oil as well.

We make a lot of moves. I always travel with salt and pepper, peanut
butter, would now take almond butter as well since daughter has peanut
allergy, canned green beans, canned kidney beans, asst. nuts and various
bars that would include things like granola, pumpkin seed, gluten free fruit
bars, etc. I would also pack some gluten free cookies for daughter and
perhaps some tortilla or corn chips. I would have some dried and/or fresh
fruit, baby carrots, celery, and perhaps some peppers. These days I would
also pack some cereal because it is difficult for us to eat breakfast out,
given our food allergies. I would also pack some regular and gluten free
crackers and bread.

This would not be an all inclusive diet because I would add things to it as
I could. But when I am away from home, I try to avoid cooking as much as
possible. Exception being if I am staying with a relative or something and
am cooking for them. If I am staying in a motel/hotel with a kitchenette or
even just a table, fridge and microwave, I do the best I can with fresh
foods that do not require cooking. I will buy whatever vegetables and
fruits I can find that are raw. I used to buy cheese. We no longer eat
dairy. I will buy tortillas and canned refried beans to make a quick meal
with added veggies. I will buy cans/pouches of tuna and chicken breast that
can be mixed with veggies and dressed with a squeeze of lemon. Sometimes I
would buy cooked boiled eggs.

When we lived on Cape Cod, we would often go to PA for the weekend or a week
or so at a time and would stay at my BIL's cabin. They did have a stove
there but it was a pain to use and they didn't have a lot of cookware.
There was a microwave and a fridge. I would try to buy only as much as we'd
need for the time we were there. Sometimes the Schwann's man would come by
and I might buy a few things from him that could be eaten as is or simply
put in the microwave.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:

> I was just going over all this in my mind, and I was wondering what
> you all think of as your essential pantry: those ingredients that you
> use a lot and want to always have on hand. I am not thinking of
> exhaustive lists...in some cases less is more. I find myself coming
> around to this more and more.

For James's breakfasts:

bread or potatoes
either eggs or cottage cheese
coffee beans
butter or margarine

Baking basics:

bread flour
yeast
salt
sugar
cocoa powder
baking soda and powder

Cooking basics

beans (especially garbanzos, pintos, black beans, and lentils, but
also red lentils, chana dal, and small white beans)
rice, several kinds
potatoes
fresh veggies, all sorts, but especially garlic and onions
pasta, any kind
pepper (salt is already on the list)

With those things and some fresh fruit, we're good to go.

Optional, but highly desired:

good olive oil
vinegar of some kind
lemons
soy sauce
ginger
ketchup
TVP
vital wheat gluten
cornmeal
wheatberries
canned tuna
fresh or dried herbs

Serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christine Dabney" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Heya folks,
>
> I am unpacking my kitchen stuff and gradually getting my tiny little
> kitchen here in this apartment together. Yesterday, I had to go out
> to get some of my basics. However, I am trying to keep my
> fridge/pantry contents to a basic/bare minimum.
>
> I got onions, carrots, celery, garlic, Italian parsley, and some
> ginger. I didn't see any lemons I would want to buy (at least for the
> price they were!!). I also got some apples, some bread, milk, and
> cream and some sugar (brown and granulated). And a can or two of
> tomatoes.
>

> I was just going over all this in my mind, and I was wondering what
> you all think of as your essential pantry: those ingredients that you
> use a lot and want to always have on hand. I am not thinking of
> exhaustive lists...in some cases less is more. I find myself coming
> around to this more and more.
>
> Christine

What I must have and what delights me are different. I must have flour,
salt, sugar, oils, yeast in the pantry and obviously other things that are
fresh outside the pantry. I had reason to pull out the spare dried pasta
yesterday and it weighs about 30 pounds, so I've obviously either made some
great buys or big mistakes. I certainly didn't set out to become a
collectionist, but my favorite from Gragnano is getting hard to find and I
got desperate.

I would not care to live without my spices nor in winter without canned
tomatoes. The whole grains like farro, barley, hominy, etc. are important
as are the dried chick peas and beans of various types.

I currently feel lucky to have a variety of dried peppers brought by a Texan
friend as well as some really good dried fruit. I can get on without them,
but it makes life tastier with them.
--
http://www.judithgreenwood.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christine Dabney" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> On Sun, 02 Mar 2008 03:01:23 GMT, hahabogus > wrote:
>
>>Christine Dabney > wrote in
m:

>>add
>>rice, potatoes, pasta, hot sauce, mustard flour, eggs, milk, cheese,
>>garlic, bread crumbs, bacon, ap flour, stock, sherry, herbs of choice,
>>dried mushrooms...with fresh veggies and fresh meat many things are
>>possible.

> That's your bare minimum? I am not talking about a complete pantry
> here...just what are the absolute basic things you have to have...not
> the complete pantry.
>
> I love all of those things myself...but those aren't my bare minimum
> needs.
>
> Christine

I'd need rice, too, added to my already embarrassingly long list. I hate
getting bored with my diet.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christine Dabney"

> Olive oil, herbs and spices, celery, carrots, onions, garlic. I could
> probably do without the ginger, but the other 4 are essential items to
> much of what I cook. I use canned tomatoes a lot, so at least one can
> of them in the pantry. I use cannola oil for the other major cooking
> oil. I can live without many Asian ingredients.
>
> Eggs are essential..as is butter, cream, milk. If I start to run low
> or out, I had better get some soon, cause I use them a lot. Parmesan
> cheese is almost essential to my cooking too. > Christine

it only confused me more, because my pantry is not refrigerated and much on
your list wouldn't keep in my pantry.

If you start adding lists that are fresh or refrigerated most lists get
ridiculously long.
--
http://www.judithgreenwood.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Giusi" > wrote:

> "Christine Dabney"
> >

> > Olive oil, herbs and spices, celery, carrots, onions, garlic. I could
> > probably do without the ginger, but the other 4 are essential items to
> > much of what I cook. I use canned tomatoes a lot, so at least one can
> > of them in the pantry. I use cannola oil for the other major cooking
> > oil. I can live without many Asian ingredients.
> >
> > Eggs are essential..as is butter, cream, milk. If I start to run low
> > or out, I had better get some soon, cause I use them a lot. Parmesan
> > cheese is almost essential to my cooking too. > Christine

> it only confused me more, because my pantry is not refrigerated and much on
> your list wouldn't keep in my pantry.
>
> If you start adding lists that are fresh or refrigerated most lists get
> ridiculously long.

Non-refrigerated pantry list:
olive oil
peanut oil
red wine and rice vinegars
soy sauce (although SO insists on refrigerating it)
fish sauce
rice
pasta
flour--bread, whole wheat, and unbleached
yeast (although I buy in bulk and freeze)
sugar
salt
pepper
baking powder and soda
canned tomatoes
dried herbs: oregano, basil, thyme
spices: cinnamon, cumin, cayenne
dried and canned legumes
tea
coffee (for SO)
garlic
onions

Refrigerated essentials:
milk
eggs
Parmesan cheese
Tabasco sauce
carrots

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ray Ray is offline

> Refrigerated essentials:
> milk
> eggs
> Parmesan cheese
> Tabasco sauce
> carrots

There's no need to refrigerate Tabasco. And I agree with your husband about
the soy sauce. In fact, it says so on the bottle too.

"Cindy Fuller" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Giusi" > wrote:
>
>> "Christine Dabney"
>> >

>> > Olive oil, herbs and spices, celery, carrots, onions, garlic. I could
>> > probably do without the ginger, but the other 4 are essential items to
>> > much of what I cook. I use canned tomatoes a lot, so at least one can
>> > of them in the pantry. I use cannola oil for the other major cooking
>> > oil. I can live without many Asian ingredients.
>> >
>> > Eggs are essential..as is butter, cream, milk. If I start to run low
>> > or out, I had better get some soon, cause I use them a lot. Parmesan
>> > cheese is almost essential to my cooking too. > Christine

>> it only confused me more, because my pantry is not refrigerated and much
>> on
>> your list wouldn't keep in my pantry.
>>
>> If you start adding lists that are fresh or refrigerated most lists get
>> ridiculously long.

> Non-refrigerated pantry list:
> olive oil
> peanut oil
> red wine and rice vinegars
> soy sauce (although SO insists on refrigerating it)
> fish sauce
> rice
> pasta
> flour--bread, whole wheat, and unbleached
> yeast (although I buy in bulk and freeze)
> sugar
> salt
> pepper
> baking powder and soda
> canned tomatoes
> dried herbs: oregano, basil, thyme
> spices: cinnamon, cumin, cayenne
> dried and canned legumes
> tea
> coffee (for SO)
> garlic
> onions
>
> Refrigerated essentials:
> milk
> eggs
> Parmesan cheese
> Tabasco sauce
> carrots
>
> Cindy
>
> --
> C.J. Fuller
>
> Delete the obvious to email me

Posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, Cindy Fuller > said:

<snip>

> Refrigerated essentials:

> Tabasco sauce

Why do you refrigerate Tabasco? Just curious...

--
Jani in WA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:

> Heya folks,
>
> I am unpacking my kitchen stuff and gradually getting my tiny little
> kitchen here in this apartment together. �Yesterday, I had to go out
> to get some of my basics. �However, I am trying to keep my
> fridge/pantry contents to a basic/bare minimum.

Bare minimum... all you really need is beer, peanuts, and the menu for
the nearest Chinese take out.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 03 Mar 2008 03:35:33 GMT, "Ray" >
wrote:

>> Refrigerated essentials:
>> milk
>> eggs
>> Parmesan cheese
>> Tabasco sauce
>> carrots

>There's no need to refrigerate Tabasco. And I agree with your husband about
>the soy sauce. In fact, it says so on the bottle too.

i don't refrigerate tabasco or soy (bottle be damned), but they're
used up pretty quickly in my household.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake wrote on Mon, 03 Mar 2008 15:52:31 GMT:

??>>> Refrigerated essentials:
??>>> milk
??>>> eggs
??>>> Parmesan cheese
??>>> Tabasco sauce
??>>> carrots
??>>
??>> There's no need to refrigerate Tabasco. And I agree with
??>> your husband about the soy sauce. In fact, it says so on
??>> the bottle too.
??>>
bm> i don't refrigerate tabasco or soy (bottle be damned), but
bm> they're used up pretty quickly in my household.

When I buy soy sauce, I buy a gallon can and it keeps pretty
well at room temperature for months being opened to fill the
table bottle.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 01 Mar 2008 18:52:34 -0800, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

>Heya folks,
>
>I am unpacking my kitchen stuff and gradually getting my tiny little
>kitchen here in this apartment together. Yesterday, I had to go out
>to get some of my basics. However, I am trying to keep my
>fridge/pantry contents to a basic/bare minimum.

Vegetables - Onions, Big baking Potatoes

If you have a freezer, a couple of bags of basic frozen vegetables,
otherwise a bag of carrots and a bunch of broccoli

Salad ingredients - bagged lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber and/or radish,
plus bottled salad dressing

Apples

Meat - chicken breast (either cook your own or even buy pre-cooked),
bacon, canned tuna.

Eggs

Pita bread and whole wheat bread

Cereal and milk

Mustard, balsamic vinegar, mayonnaise, salsa, Mrs Dash

Canned corn, canned tomato, canned chilli beans

You can eat well with a supermarket chicken, a bag-o-lettuce, a
tomato, and a loaf of bread.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

(Little Malice) wrote:
> Cindy Fuller > said:
>
> > Refrigerated essentials:
> > Tabasco sauce

> Why do you refrigerate Tabasco? Just curious...

I store it in the fridge along with the Sriracha (red rooster)
and Maggi sauces. It makes them easier to find no matter
that they need no refrigeration. To me they are there for
organizational reasons.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Doug Freyburger" > wrote in message
> (Little Malice) wrote:
>> Cindy Fuller > said:
>>
>> > Refrigerated essentials:
>> > Tabasco sauce

>> Why do you refrigerate Tabasco? Just curious...

> I store it in the fridge along with the Sriracha (red rooster)
> and Maggi sauces. It makes them easier to find no matter
> that they need no refrigeration. To me they are there for
> organizational reasons.

Also, if you leave it out it turns a weird, light, browny-green color.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 03 Mar 2008 16:05:53 GMT, "James Silverton"
> wrote:

> blake wrote on Mon, 03 Mar 2008 15:52:31 GMT:
>
> ??>>> Refrigerated essentials:
> ??>>> milk
> ??>>> eggs
> ??>>> Parmesan cheese
> ??>>> Tabasco sauce
> ??>>> carrots
> ??>>
> ??>> There's no need to refrigerate Tabasco. And I agree with
> ??>> your husband about the soy sauce. In fact, it says so on
> ??>> the bottle too.
> ??>>
> bm> i don't refrigerate tabasco or soy (bottle be damned), but
> bm> they're used up pretty quickly in my household.
>
>When I buy soy sauce, I buy a gallon can and it keeps pretty
>well at room temperature for months being opened to fill the
>table bottle.
>
>James Silverton

i used to do that as well, but then the pricing at giant changed so
the price per quart was just about the same for the can as the smaller
bottle. but soy definitely keeps.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 4, 11:09*am, "cybercat" > wrote:

> Also, if you leave it out it turns a weird, light, browny-green color.

We don't need to hear about your crotch, please.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake wrote on Tue, 04 Mar 2008 18:32:45 GMT:

??>> blake wrote on Mon, 03 Mar 2008 15:52:31 GMT:
??>>
??>>>>> Refrigerated essentials:
??>>>>> milk
??>>>>> eggs
??>>>>> Parmesan cheese
??>>>>> Tabasco sauce
??>>>>> carrots
??>>>>
??>>>> There's no need to refrigerate Tabasco. And I agree
??>>>> with your husband about the soy sauce. In fact, it says
??>>>> so on the bottle too.
??>>>>
bm>>> i don't refrigerate tabasco or soy (bottle be damned),
bm>>> but they're used up pretty quickly in my household.
??>>
??>> When I buy soy sauce, I buy a gallon can and it keeps
??>> pretty well at room temperature for months being opened to
??>> fill the table bottle.
??>>
??>> James Silverton

bm> i used to do that as well, but then the pricing at giant
bm> changed so the price per quart was just about the same for
bm> the can as the smaller bottle. but soy definitely keeps.

Giant's pricing can be a bit weird, usually higher priced than
other chains altho' recently they were selling leeks by the
bunch for the price other chains charged per pound. I weighed a
bunch and it was pretty close to 2 lbs. I buy my soy sauce in a
Chinese supermarket.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 2, 2:15*am, Serene > wrote:
> Optional, but highly desired:
>
> good olive oil
> Serene

Who would buy BAD olive oil? Nobody here!! VBG!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 4 Mar 2008 14:52:50 -0800 (PST), Brawny >
wrote:

>On Mar 2, 2:15*am, Serene > wrote:
>> Optional, but highly desired:
>>
>> good olive oil
>> Serene

>Who would buy BAD olive oil? Nobody here!! VBG!

Olive oil is a basic necessity in my household. I try to find good
olive oil...but in some places it is really hard. When I was in
Richmond last year, it was hard to find good olive oil without paying
out the whazzoo.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 04 Mar 2008 20:50:26 GMT, "James Silverton"
> wrote:

> blake wrote on Tue, 04 Mar 2008 18:32:45 GMT:
>
> ??>> When I buy soy sauce, I buy a gallon can and it keeps
> ??>> pretty well at room temperature for months being opened to
> ??>> fill the table bottle.
> ??>>
> ??>> James Silverton
>
> bm> i used to do that as well, but then the pricing at giant
> bm> changed so the price per quart was just about the same for
> bm> the can as the smaller bottle. but soy definitely keeps.
>
>Giant's pricing can be a bit weird, usually higher priced than
>other chains altho' recently they were selling leeks by the
>bunch for the price other chains charged per pound. I weighed a
>bunch and it was pretty close to 2 lbs. I buy my soy sauce in a
>Chinese supermarket.
>
>James Silverton

yeah, lately i've been buying pearl river bridge brand at the asian
market. it's pretty cheap even in the bottle (500 ml, 16.9 oz.).

i got a bottle of mushroom soy as well, but i haven't figured out what
to use it for.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake wrote on Wed, 05 Mar 2008 16:22:20 GMT:

??>> blake wrote on Tue, 04 Mar 2008 18:32:45 GMT:
??>>
??>>>> When I buy soy sauce, I buy a gallon can and it keeps
??>>>> pretty well at room temperature for months being opened
??>>>> to fill the table bottle.
??>>>>
??>>>> James Silverton
??>>
bm>>> i used to do that as well, but then the pricing at giant
bm>>> changed so the price per quart was just about the same
bm>>> for the can as the smaller bottle. but soy definitely
bm>>> keeps.
??>>
??>> Giant's pricing can be a bit weird, usually higher priced
??>> than other chains altho' recently they were selling leeks
??>> by the bunch for the price other chains charged per pound.
??>> I weighed a bunch and it was pretty close to 2 lbs. I buy
??>> my soy sauce in a Chinese supermarket.
??>>
??>> James Silverton

bm> yeah, lately i've been buying pearl river bridge brand at
bm> the asian market. it's pretty cheap even in the bottle
bm> (500 ml, 16.9 oz.).

bm> i got a bottle of mushroom soy as well, but i haven't
bm> figured out what to use it for.

Don't know about that but "Vegetarian Oyster Sauce" is made from
mushrooms.