Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cooking related gifts?

Christmas, Hanukkah etc. are not TOO far off. What would be a great
gift item (other than ingredients) for the ardent cook on your list?

I'd love a top notch mandoline, m'self.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 2, 3:11*pm, Kalmia > wrote:
> Christmas, Hanukkah etc. are not TOO far off. *What would be a great
> gift item (other than ingredients) for the ardent cook on your list?
>
> *I'd love a top notch mandoline, m'self.

Kitchenaid accessories - my top picks would be the scraper paddle or
the ice cream maker.

Kris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 2, 2:11 pm, Kalmia > wrote:
> Christmas, Hanukkah etc. are not TOO far off. What would be a great
> gift item (other than ingredients) for the ardent cook on your list?
>
> I'd love a top notch mandoline, m'self.

....a gift card to a kitchen supply place - either something like
Williams-Sonoma (which wants top dollar for everything) or a
restaurant supply where your dollar will buy more, and probably make
the ardent cook even more ardent.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:
> On Oct 2, 2:11 pm, Kalmia > wrote:
>> Christmas, Hanukkah etc. are not TOO far off. What would be a great
>> gift item (other than ingredients) for the ardent cook on your list?
>>
>> I'd love a top notch mandoline, m'self.

> ...a gift card to a kitchen supply place - either something like
> Williams-Sonoma (which wants top dollar for everything) or a
> restaurant supply where your dollar will buy more, and probably make
> the ardent cook even more ardent.
>
> N.

It's hard to buy kitchen gifts for other people unless you know
--what they have
--what their cooking style is
--what they need
--what they want.

Someone who has it all might be as thrilled with pretty new dish towels
as another person would be with a KA or a breadmaker. It's all
relative. Unless a new gadget is truly earth shattering, someone with
limited space probably will send it to a charity resale shop within 6
months.

When in doubt or on a budget, homemade food is usually appreciated.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 02 Oct 2009 14:48:29 -0600, Gloria P >
wrote:

>Nancy2 wrote:
>> On Oct 2, 2:11 pm, Kalmia > wrote:
>>> Christmas, Hanukkah etc. are not TOO far off. What would be a great
>>> gift item (other than ingredients) for the ardent cook on your list?
>>>
>>> I'd love a top notch mandoline, m'self.

>> ...a gift card to a kitchen supply place - either something like
>> Williams-Sonoma (which wants top dollar for everything) or a
>> restaurant supply where your dollar will buy more, and probably make
>> the ardent cook even more ardent.

I don't understand the problem, no cook has too much wine.

>It's hard to buy kitchen gifts for other people unless you know
>--what they have
>--what their cooking style is
>--what they need
>--what they want.
>
>Someone who has it all might be as thrilled with pretty new dish towels
>as another person would be with a KA or a breadmaker. It's all
>relative. Unless a new gadget is truly earth shattering, someone with
>limited space probably will send it to a charity resale shop within 6
>months.
>
>When in doubt or on a budget, homemade food is usually appreciated.
>
>gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Kalmia > wrote:

> Christmas, Hanukkah etc. are not TOO far off. What would be a great
> gift item (other than ingredients) for the ardent cook on your list?
>
> I'd love a top notch mandoline, m'self.

I got my baby sister a couple of silpats last Christmas. She liked that.
I may get her a bamboo cutting board this year, or some bamboo kitchen
utensils. Another consideration is one of the more unusual cook books,
if I can find it. Sis' and brother in law are semi-active in the SCA, so
the books I'm on the lookout for (I can probably get them from Amazon)
are a couple posted about here by Wayne Boatright a bit back:

To the Queen's Taste (Elizabethan Feasts and Recipes Adapted for Modern
Cooking): Lorna J Sass

To the King's taste (Richard II's book of feasts and recipes adapted for
modern cooking): Lorna J. Sass
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/home?tab=mq>

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia wrote:

> Christmas, Hanukkah etc. are not TOO far off. What would be a great
> gift item (other than ingredients) for the ardent cook on your list?
>
> I'd love a top notch mandoline, m'self.

The Maternal Unit (who is hardly an ardent cook) is hinting for a
ceramic knife.
A gift card from the local restaurant supply would do me just fine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gloria P" > wrote in message
> Nancy2 wrote:
>> On Oct 2, 2:11 pm, Kalmia > wrote:
>>> Christmas, Hanukkah etc. are not TOO far off. What would be a great
>>> gift item (other than ingredients) for the ardent cook on your list?
>>>
>>> I'd love a top notch mandoline, m'self.

>> ...a gift card to a kitchen supply place - either something like
>> Williams-Sonoma (which wants top dollar for everything) or a
>> restaurant supply where your dollar will buy more, and probably make
>> the ardent cook even more ardent.
>>
>> N.

> It's hard to buy kitchen gifts for other people unless you know
> --what they have
> --what their cooking style is
> --what they need
> --what they want.
>
> Someone who has it all might be as thrilled with pretty new dish towels as
> another person would be with a KA or a breadmaker. It's all relative.
> Unless a new gadget is truly earth shattering, someone with limited space
> probably will send it to a charity resale shop within 6 months.
>
> When in doubt or on a budget, homemade food is usually appreciated.
>
> gloria p

It depends on the cleanliness and skill of the cook. There are gifts of
food I get that we don't eat. Often the only time someone cooks is at
holiday time to make that "special" gift. And it is usually awful.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gloria wrote:

> It's hard to buy kitchen gifts for other people unless you know
> --what they have
> --what their cooking style is
> --what they need
> --what they want.
>
> Someone who has it all might be as thrilled with pretty new dish towels as
> another person would be with a KA or a breadmaker. It's all relative.
> Unless a new gadget is truly earth shattering, someone with limited space
> probably will send it to a charity resale shop within 6 months.

Don't forget offbeat ingredients. My wish list has contained mosto cotto for
quite some time. It's not all that expensive, but it's one of those things
I'd use only now and again, so I haven't bothered to seek it out and buy it.

> When in doubt or on a budget, homemade food is usually appreciated.

True, but then you get into the whole arena of likes, dislikes, allergies,
cholesterol count, net carbohydrates, and similar considerations.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger said...

> Gloria wrote:
>
>> It's hard to buy kitchen gifts for other people unless you know
>> --what they have
>> --what their cooking style is
>> --what they need
>> --what they want.
>>
>> Someone who has it all might be as thrilled with pretty new dish towels
>> as another person would be with a KA or a breadmaker. It's all
>> relative. Unless a new gadget is truly earth shattering, someone with
>> limited space probably will send it to a charity resale shop within 6
>> months.

> Don't forget offbeat ingredients. My wish list has contained mosto cotto
> for quite some time. It's not all that expensive, but it's one of those
> things I'd use only now and again, so I haven't bothered to seek it out
> and buy it.
>

>> When in doubt or on a budget, homemade food is usually appreciated.

> True, but then you get into the whole arena of likes, dislikes,
> allergies, cholesterol count, net carbohydrates, and similar
> considerations.
>
> Bob

Real SAFFRON!!!

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kalmia" ha scritto nel messaggio

> Christmas, Hanukkah etc. are not TOO far off. What would be a great> gift
> item (other than ingredients) for the ardent cook on your list?
>
> I'd love a top notch mandoline, m'self.

I am buying a three screen food mill for my daughter and hoping for a cast
iron hand meat grinder for me.

(I use my Benriner 10 X as often as my expensive mandolins.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" > wrote in message ...
> Bob Terwilliger said...

snip
>> Don't forget offbeat ingredients. My wish list has contained mosto cotto
>> for quite some time. It's not all that expensive, but it's one of those
>> things I'd use only now and again, so I haven't bothered to seek it out
>> and buy it.

snip
>> Bob

> Real SAFFRON!!!
>
> Andy

Yes!!! Remember, 'Good things come in little packages.' I've got to
remember saffron -- that's perfect.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Bostwick said...

> "Andy" > wrote in message news:Xns9C991F07677BBCotD@

216.196.97.131...
>> Bob Terwilliger said...

> snip
>>> Don't forget offbeat ingredients. My wish list has contained mosto

cotto
>>> for quite some time. It's not all that expensive, but it's one of those
>>> things I'd use only now and again, so I haven't bothered to seek it out
>>> and buy it.

> snip
>>> Bob

>> Real SAFFRON!!!
>>
>> Andy

> Yes!!! Remember, 'Good things come in little packages.' I've got to
> remember saffron -- that's perfect.
> Janet

Janet,

I've never gifted saffron to anyone.

Mom would be proud of both of us!

Best,

Andy

--
I don't play games people play
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 3, 4:27*am, Nancy2 > wrote:
> On Oct 2, 2:11 pm, Kalmia > wrote:
>
> > Christmas, Hanukkah etc. are not TOO far off. *What would be a great
> > gift item (other than ingredients) for the ardent cook on your list?

> > *I'd love a top notch mandoline, m'self.

> ...a gift card to a kitchen supply place - either something like
> Williams-Sonoma (which wants top dollar for everything) or a
> restaurant supply where your dollar will buy more, and probably make
> the ardent cook even more ardent.
>
> N.

Agree Gift vouchers seem to be the safest bet and allows the
giftee a choice or even to pass it on to others .
The sort of gift that keeps on giving

I am forever greatful to a an old girlfriend and has turned out to be
a (along with her husband of 15 yeaqrs) long term mates who sent me
a victorknox gift voucher
ages ago that allowed with some additional cash to purchase a
beautiful set of kitchen knives and finishing steel sharpeners etc
That I use almost every day .

Certainly not the unkindest cut of all .

At the moment which has become a sort of tradition making up gifts
of home made liquers and Christmas puddings ready for distribution in
December
Basicly very simple boiled fruit cakes with HEAVY infusion of whisky
or brandy (also home made )

But they go down a treat if the requests are any indication
The real problem is getting the tins back so can post all over
the place .
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 2 Oct 2009 22:22:52 -0600, "Janet Bostwick"
> wrote:

>"Gloria P" > wrote in message
>> Nancy2 wrote:

>>> ...a gift card to a kitchen supply place - either something like
>>> Williams-Sonoma (which wants top dollar for everything) or a
>>> restaurant supply where your dollar will buy more, and probably make
>>> the ardent cook even more ardent.
>>>
>>> N.

>> It's hard to buy kitchen gifts for other people unless you know
>> --what they have
>> --what their cooking style is
>> --what they need
>> --what they want.
>>
>> Someone who has it all might be as thrilled with pretty new dish towels as
>> another person would be with a KA or a breadmaker. It's all relative.
>> Unless a new gadget is truly earth shattering, someone with limited space
>> probably will send it to a charity resale shop within 6 months.
>>
>> When in doubt or on a budget, homemade food is usually appreciated.
>>
>> gloria p

>It depends on the cleanliness and skill of the cook. There are gifts of
>food I get that we don't eat. Often the only time someone cooks is at
>holiday time to make that "special" gift. And it is usually awful.
>Janet

The best "theme" gift is always a gift certificate for a store that
specializes in products within that theme... if you're buying a gift
for someone who cooks the last thing you want to do is to choose their
cookware... buying a cook a pot is tantamount to buying a 34 B for a
gal who wears a 36 C.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 2 Oct 2009 22:22:52 -0600, "Janet Bostwick"
> > wrote:

snip
> The best "theme" gift is always a gift certificate for a store that
> specializes in products within that theme... if you're buying a gift
> for someone who cooks the last thing you want to do is to choose their
> cookware... buying a cook a pot is tantamount to buying a 34 B for a
> gal who wears a 36 C.

I'd say worse than than. IMO, pot and pan selection is very personal. A
gadget is a little different. If the gadget was something that I had newly
discovered and really liked and I knew the recipient very well, I'd give a
gadget. With the caveat, 'try this, see what you think.'
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 02 Oct 2009 14:48:29 -0600, Gloria P wrote:

> Nancy2 wrote:
>> On Oct 2, 2:11 pm, Kalmia > wrote:
>>> Christmas, Hanukkah etc. are not TOO far off. What would be a great
>>> gift item (other than ingredients) for the ardent cook on your list?
>>>
>>> I'd love a top notch mandoline, m'self.

>> ...a gift card to a kitchen supply place - either something like
>> Williams-Sonoma (which wants top dollar for everything) or a
>> restaurant supply where your dollar will buy more, and probably make
>> the ardent cook even more ardent.
>>
>> N.

> It's hard to buy kitchen gifts for other people unless you know
> --what they have
> --what their cooking style is
> --what they need
> --what they want.
>
> Someone who has it all might be as thrilled with pretty new dish towels
> as another person would be with a KA or a breadmaker. It's all
> relative. Unless a new gadget is truly earth shattering, someone with
> limited space probably will send it to a charity resale shop within 6
> months.
>
> When in doubt or on a budget, homemade food is usually appreciated.
>
> gloria p

i was thinking along the same lines. most people have the equipment they
would like, so maybe a comestible would be better - maybe something they
(meaning me) thinks is too expensive to buy. like a certificate to a nice
a nice butcher shop.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tudor5 > wrote in
on
Oct Sat 2009 09:15 am

> On Oct 3, 4:27*am, Nancy2 > wrote:
>> On Oct 2, 2:11 pm, Kalmia > wrote:
>>
>> > Christmas, Hanukkah etc. are not TOO far off. *What would be a
>> > great gift item (other than ingredients) for the ardent cook on
>> > your list?

>> > *I'd love a top notch mandoline, m'self.

>> ...a gift card to a kitchen supply place - either something like
>> Williams-Sonoma (which wants top dollar for everything) or a
>> restaurant supply where your dollar will buy more, and probably make
>> the ardent cook even more ardent.
>>
>> N.

> Agree Gift vouchers seem to be the safest bet and allows the
> giftee a choice or even to pass it on to others .
> The sort of gift that keeps on giving
>
> I am forever greatful to a an old girlfriend and has turned out to be
> a (along with her husband of 15 yeaqrs) long term mates who sent me
> a victorknox gift voucher
> ages ago that allowed with some additional cash to purchase a
> beautiful set of kitchen knives and finishing steel sharpeners etc
> That I use almost every day .
>
> Certainly not the unkindest cut of all .
>
> At the moment which has become a sort of tradition making up gifts
> of home made liquers and Christmas puddings ready for distribution in
> December
> Basicly very simple boiled fruit cakes with HEAVY infusion of whisky
> or brandy (also home made )
>
> But they go down a treat if the requests are any indication
> The real problem is getting the tins back so can post all over
> the place .

Recently an old friend of mine got married again. For both of them it
was their 2nd marriage. I gifted them with a penzey's gift box, mainly
because of their ages and situations they had all the other stuff they
wanted such as toasters, lamps and gravy boats. So the spice box set
was the route I went, they seemed to like it.

--
Is that your nose, or are you eatting a banana? -Jimmy Durante

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 3 Oct 2009 09:03:11 -0600, "Janet Bostwick"
> wrote:

>"brooklyn1" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Fri, 2 Oct 2009 22:22:52 -0600, "Janet Bostwick"
>> > wrote:

>snip
>> The best "theme" gift is always a gift certificate for a store that
>> specializes in products within that theme... if you're buying a gift
>> for someone who cooks the last thing you want to do is to choose their
>> cookware... buying a cook a pot is tantamount to buying a 34 B for a
>> gal who wears a 36 C.
>>

>I'd say worse than than. IMO, pot and pan selection is very personal. A
>gadget is a little different. If the gadget was something that I had newly
>discovered and really liked and I knew the recipient very well, I'd give a
>gadget. With the caveat, 'try this, see what you think.'
>Janet

I suppose that would depend on the occasion... for most occasions I'd
not consider the typical $10 gadget a suitable gift... maybe include
the unique gadget with the gift certificate.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia wrote:

> Christmas, Hanukkah etc. are not TOO far off. What would be a great
> gift item (other than ingredients) for the ardent cook on your list?

One of the best cooking-related gifts I ever got was a set of oven
mitts. Close second was a Dutch oven.

Of course, IMHO, cookbooks make great gifts too...
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"brooklyn1" wrote
> "Janet Bostwick" wrote:

>>I'd say worse than than. IMO, pot and pan selection is very personal. A
>>gadget is a little different. If the gadget was something that I had
>>newly
>>discovered and really liked and I knew the recipient very well, I'd give a
>>gadget. With the caveat, 'try this, see what you think.'

> I suppose that would depend on the occasion... for most occasions I'd
> not consider the typical $10 gadget a suitable gift... maybe include
> the unique gadget with the gift certificate.

Yes, would depend on the occasion/circumstances. Say a work gift exchange
where they usually set a limit (often 10$, never over 20$ in the one's I've
been in). Then you get creative to find something within the range.

Here's a foodie gift I did when in Sasebo Japan. (rules were 10$ and not
much over or under) I drew the Dept Heads name. He has a mega sweet tooth.
I took a pretty tin from some cookies and stuck some velcro on the back (we
were on a ship, this was so it wouldnt roll around). I filled it with
1000yen (a little under 10$) worth of pretty individually wrapped japanese
candies.

The person who drew my name knew I loved fancy flavored coffees so got me an
assortment of those small vacumn sealed packs (the kind where 1 pack is
about right for a 12 cup machine, and with my 6 cup little model was perfect
to make 2 pots each).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Bostwick wrote:

> It depends on the cleanliness and skill of the cook. There are gifts of
> food I get that we don't eat. Often the only time someone cooks is at
> holiday time to make that "special" gift. And it is usually awful.
> Janet

That's because you've never received a gift food
from Barb Schaller (or me!)

;-)

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 3 Oct 2009 09:03:11 -0600, "Janet Bostwick"
> > wrote:
>

>>"brooklyn1" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Fri, 2 Oct 2009 22:22:52 -0600, "Janet Bostwick"

>>snip
>>> The best "theme" gift is always a gift certificate for a store that
>>> specializes in products within that theme... if you're buying a gift
>>> for someone who cooks the last thing you want to do is to choose their
>>> cookware... buying a cook a pot is tantamount to buying a 34 B for a
>>> gal who wears a 36 C.
>>>

>>I'd say worse than than. IMO, pot and pan selection is very personal. A
>>gadget is a little different. If the gadget was something that I had
>>newly
>>discovered and really liked and I knew the recipient very well, I'd give a
>>gadget. With the caveat, 'try this, see what you think.'
>>Janet
>>

> I suppose that would depend on the occasion... for most occasions I'd
> not consider the typical $10 gadget a suitable gift... maybe include
> the unique gadget with the gift certificate.

Read gadget with quotes around it. Most that I'm imagining would be $25
plus (at least) because it would be something new on the market. A friend
and I do this every Christmas. That way we get to try stuff that we
wouldn't spend the money on for ourselves because it was a 'gadget.' It's
hard to buy for someone that you've known for a long time. In this kind of
situation, the gift is truly a remembrance of friendship and it can't be
represented by money but by really spending time searching something out.
Otherwise you can go the soulless Harry and David route -- I'd rather have a
gift certificate.
Janet
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gloria P wrote:
> Janet Bostwick wrote:
>
>> It depends on the cleanliness and skill of the cook. There are gifts
>> of food I get that we don't eat. Often the only time someone cooks
>> is at holiday time to make that "special" gift. And it is usually
>> awful.
>> Janet
>>

> That's because you've never received a gift food
> from Barb Schaller (or me!)
>
> ;-)
>
> gloria p

Or my sister, who is a great cook. I love of her home made pralines,
divinity, fudge and fruit cake cookies (don't be a hater! lol Some of
us love those cookies).

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christine Dabney" wrote
> ChattyCathy wrote:

>>Of course, IMHO, cookbooks make great gifts too...

> I would qualify that statement (just speaking for myself here).

Me too. Same reasons. In my case, I am often gifted with duplicates ;-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christine Dabney" wrote
> "cshenk" wrote:

> I haven't gotten duplicates, but it's often a cookbook someone saw in
> a gift shop, or airport, or something like that.

Yeah, pretty pictures and terrible recipes. My husband is a good cook but
not much of a reader (dyslexia) so he buys them for me based on the
pictures. I have a shelf i privately call the 'Don Shelf' with things like
that. Paula Deen just joined it this past year.

> The only times I have gotten cookbooks that I really liked were from
> folks that do cook, and from folks on this newsgroup. And when I
> give cookbooks, it is usually a very good one from a reputable author,
> and one I know is really good.

*smile*.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gloria P" > wrote in message
> Janet Bostwick wrote:
>
>> It depends on the cleanliness and skill of the cook. There are gifts of
>> food I get that we don't eat. Often the only time someone cooks is at
>> holiday time to make that "special" gift. And it is usually awful.
>> Janet

> That's because you've never received a gift food
> from Barb Schaller (or me!)
>
> ;-)
>
> gloria p

Well, actually, I did. ;o}
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:

> The only times I have gotten cookbooks that I really liked were from
> folks that do cook, and from folks on this newsgroup. And when I
> give cookbooks, it is usually a very good one from a reputable author,
> and one I know is really good.

'Nuff said.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Christine Dabney wrote:
>
> The only times I have gotten cookbooks that I really liked were from
> folks that do cook, and from folks on this newsgroup. And when I
> give cookbooks, it is usually a very good one from a reputable author,
> and one I know is really good.

Do you enjoy community cookbooks like our rfc version?

Many of them are hit or miss but some, like the first two
Denver Jr. League volumes (Colorado Cache and Taste of Colorado),
have terrific recipes that are a hit every time.

gloria P
who has no connection to the "JunyaLeeg".
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine wrote:

> I would qualify that statement (just speaking for myself here). As
> someone who has a cookbook addiction, a lot of folks think that giving
> me a cookbook is the best idea around. It isn't really... Oftentimes
> the person giving me a cookbook sees one in a store and says..oh I bet
> Christine would love that, she likes cookbooks. The cookbook is
> usually one that really isn't very good...and I have to find a place
> for it in my crowded bookshelves.
>
> My word to those buying cookbooks for others: know your giftee and
> their likes and dislikes in cookbooks. And if you are a good cook
> yourself, look through the cookbook and take a gander at the
> recipes....just to see if they look to be any good. Also keep an ear
> out for whatever cookbook your giftee has expressed an interest in,
> if they do talk about cookbooks at all.
>
> Otherwise, your gift cookbook is liable to end up in Goodwill a few
> years hence..LOL.

Does this bode poorly for _The Asian Flavors of Jean-Georges_? :-}

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kalmia" > wrote in message
> Christmas, Hanukkah etc. are not TOO far off. What would be a great
> gift item (other than ingredients) for the ardent cook on your list?
>
> I'd love a top notch mandoline, m'self.

I never try to give foodies cooking-related gifts. IMHO, it's a bad idea.
It's sort of like giving your wife a toaster for your wedding anniversary
But seriously, most people who love to cook will already have most
everything they want. And if they don't, whatever you give them isn't going
to be exactly what they would have bought for themselves. They'll be
gracious and say "thank you". Then it will go in the closet for 20 years or
be offered up at a future garage sale. If you want to give what you call
"ardent cooks" a gift, give them a gift certificate from Penzeys. Or order a
gift box of spices http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penze...ift_Boxes.html

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown said...

> "Kalmia" > wrote in message
>> Christmas, Hanukkah etc. are not TOO far off. What would be a great
>> gift item (other than ingredients) for the ardent cook on your list?
>>
>> I'd love a top notch mandoline, m'self.

> I never try to give foodies cooking-related gifts. IMHO, it's a bad
> idea. It's sort of like giving your wife a toaster for your wedding
> anniversary But seriously, most people who love to cook will already
> have most everything they want. And if they don't, whatever you give
> them isn't going to be exactly what they would have bought for
> themselves. They'll be gracious and say "thank you". Then it will go
> in the closet for 20 years or be offered up at a future garage sale. If
> you want to give what you call "ardent cooks" a gift, give them a gift
> certificate from Penzeys. Or order a gift box of spices
> http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penze...ift_Boxes.html
>
> Jill

I love the disposable paper chef hats available at party stores. Currently
at $4.00/ea. seems like a bit of price gouging is in play.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" wrote

> I never try to give foodies cooking-related gifts. IMHO, it's a bad idea.
> It's sort of like giving your wife a toaster for your wedding anniversary

Ah, but note that her question is pretty open ended. I will always get my
husband Don, something 'foodie' and he will get me something. This in
addition to other things ;-)

We keep it simple. He gets something he knows he would like to cook with
and thinks I will enjoy too, and I do the same. Since we both know what we
have already, it's pretty easy.

Generally if he flubs one, it's a cook book but he's gotten me lots of good
ones too.

> But seriously, most people who love to cook will already have most
> everything they want. And if they don't, whatever you give them isn't
> going to be exactly what they would have bought for themselves. They'll
> be gracious and say "thank you". Then it will go in the closet for 20
> years or be offered up at a future garage sale. If you want to give what
> you call "ardent cooks" a gift, give them a gift certificate from Penzeys.
> Or order a gift box of spices
> http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penze...ift_Boxes.html

Actually, I'd advise against the gift box of spices. Most foodies will have
them already. I'd be happy with the gift certificate though.
(Glancing at spice cabinet, I have over 100 though a few are dead and need
replacement)

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

cshenk wrote:

> "jmcquown" wrote
>
> > I never try to give foodies cooking-related gifts. IMHO, it's a bad idea.
> > It's sort of like giving your wife a toaster for your wedding anniversary
> >

> Ah, but note that her question is pretty open ended. I will always get my
> husband Don, something 'foodie' and he will get me something. This in
> addition to other things ;-)
>
> We keep it simple. He gets something he knows he would like to cook with
> and thinks I will enjoy too, and I do the same. Since we both know what we
> have already, it's pretty easy.
>
> Generally if he flubs one, it's a cook book but he's gotten me lots of good
> ones too.
>
> > But seriously, most people who love to cook will already have most
> > everything they want. And if they don't, whatever you give them isn't
> > going to be exactly what they would have bought for themselves. They'll
> > be gracious and say "thank you". Then it will go in the closet for 20
> > years or be offered up at a future garage sale. If you want to give what
> > you call "ardent cooks" a gift, give them a gift certificate from Penzeys.
> > Or order a gift box of spices
> > http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penze...ift_Boxes.html

> Actually, I'd advise against the gift box of spices. Most foodies will have
> them already. I'd be happy with the gift certificate though.
> (Glancing at spice cabinet, I have over 100 though a few are dead and need
> replacement)

The way I figure it is .... if the gift is something I'd want to have
for myself and the giftee doesn't already have 'it', then I think that'd
be a good gift Sometimes, I'll even buy one for myself, whatever
'it' is and if I can.

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Kalmia > wrote:

> Christmas, Hanukkah etc. are not TOO far off. What would be a great
> gift item (other than ingredients) for the ardent cook on your list?

A Visa gift card loaded with $100-$300. I could buy a bottle of vanilla
and have a facial and a full body massage.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Yes, I Can! blog - check

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article
> >,
> Kalmia > wrote:
>
>> Christmas, Hanukkah etc. are not TOO far off. What would be a great
>> gift item (other than ingredients) for the ardent cook on your list?

> A Visa gift card loaded with $100-$300. I could buy a bottle of vanilla
> and have a facial and a full body massage.

Once, many years ago, my daughter bought me a session at the place I used to
go for a massage. It was quite a lot and I had to have several treatments
to use up the money on it.

I won't tell you everything I had done, but my eyes still water thinking
about it and I never had those done again!!