Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default cooking related

In article >,
Serene Vannoy > wrote:

> On 06/28/2010 10:00 PM, Omelet wrote:
>
> > I will likely use omni site builder for now, until I find someone else
> > that is as reliable but less expensive. ;-)

> Wordpress is free, and I like it, but I may go with something else if my
> blogging friends make a good case for it.
>

> > Good luck and good hunting!

> Thanks!
>
> ObFood: James made sandwiches of fresh mozzarella, heirloom tomatoes,
> and fresh basil on baguette. Oh. My. God.
>
> Serene

Sounds a lot like this:

<http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...w?feat=directl
ink>

Stuff like that is the gods. ;-d
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 06/28/2010 10:19 PM, Omelet wrote:

> Sounds a lot like this:
>
> <http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...w?feat=directl
> ink>
>
> Stuff like that is the gods. ;-d

This is how we usually do it. We call them caprese sandwiches.

http://pics.livejournal.com/serenejo...ic/0001chgf/g5

Serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 28, 2:43*pm, Omelet > wrote:
> In article >,
>
> *sf > wrote:
> > On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 06:53:26 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > > wrote:

> > > Gets me back to a usable command line. *I've hated
> > > Windows since the first day I used it.

> > Opposite reaction from me. *I remember the first day I used windows.
> > The heavens opened, the sun shined brightly and there was a choir
> > singing from above.

> I hate DOS and command lines!
> Too damned much memory work.

Years ago, my parents decided to upgrade from windows 3.0 to windows
95. Unfortunately, the old computer was able to run it well, so it
slowed down the computer. My mom got so frustrated that she put
windows into the trash can and emptied the trash. Apparently, the
programmers never considered somebody like my mom, so it actually
worked. I had to transfer all the files off with dos so that we could
redo the hard drive.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Doug Freyburger wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> Well, it certainly takes all kinds. I can make the Unix shell sit up
>> and do tricks, but Windows just sits there staring at me, waiting for
>> me to click in the wrong place and do something I didn't want it to
>> do. Or worse, click in the right place, and have to reassure it that
>> I really did want to do that.

> One time some of my folks asked why I use the command line all the time.
> One day we needed to add 3 print queues to 50 machines at once. I asked
> who wanted to do it how. Person A signed up to wander the halls and add
> all 3 to each machine. Person B signed up to sit at her own machine and
> run the GUI remotely. I asked them to check in every 10 minutes. Then
> I used the GUI on the 3 machines that were cabled to the printers to add
> the queues there. Then I typed in a loop to add the first queue on the
> other 49. Command line edit for the next 49. Command line edit for the
> next 49. At the first check in call the other two folks reported the
> queue was already there on a lot of hosts. I invited them to my desk to
> look at my screen.

Since XP windows has become a bit more admin-friendly, but now it
suffers from verbal diarrhea. I easily can remember something like
"ifconfig eth0 192.168.10.10/24". To do the same thing in windows, it
becomes something like "netsh interface ip set address name="Local Area
Connection" source=static addr=192.168.10.10 255.255.255.0". Looks like
somebody got told to 'make it possible through the command line, so we
can shut up the detractors, but make it so difficult that we can still
claim GUI is faster. Oh, and don't make it easy to find'

IBM did right with AIX and smitty: they implemented the best of both
worlds, with a GUI (text-based if all you had was a text console) that
showed the command-line equivalent with one keypress (F5 or F6 IIRC).
Pity lots of the commands were a bit verbose.

-j

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Serene Vannoy > wrote:

> On 06/28/2010 10:19 PM, Omelet wrote:
>

> > Sounds a lot like this:
> >
> > <http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...w?feat=directl
> > ink>
> >
> > Stuff like that is the gods. ;-d

> This is how we usually do it. We call them caprese sandwiches.
>
> http://pics.livejournal.com/serenejo...ic/0001chgf/g5
>
> Serene

Ooh thanks for that! I like that idea. :-)
What's it dressed with?

Next time I make the "mini-caprese" appetizers for potluck, I'll have to
take pics. I just did not have time last time!

They are made with either cubes or pre-made grape sized balls of the
cheese and a frilly toothpick. <g>
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
" > wrote:

> On Jun 28, 2:43*pm, Omelet > wrote:
> > In article >,
> >
> > *sf > wrote:
> > > On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 06:53:26 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton

> > > Opposite reaction from me. *I remember the first day I used windows.
> > > The heavens opened, the sun shined brightly and there was a choir
> > > singing from above.

> > I hate DOS and command lines!
> > Too damned much memory work.
> >

> Years ago, my parents decided to upgrade from windows 3.0 to windows
> 95. Unfortunately, the old computer was able to run it well, so it
> slowed down the computer. My mom got so frustrated that she put
> windows into the trash can and emptied the trash. Apparently, the
> programmers never considered somebody like my mom, so it actually
> worked. I had to transfer all the files off with dos so that we could
> redo the hard drive.

But you knew how to do it. <g> I'm not that good!
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 28, 5:42*pm, Omelet > wrote:
> In article
> >,
> *Cindy Hamilton > wrote:
>

> > On Jun 25, 4:24 pm, sf > wrote:
> > > On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 13:10:04 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton

> > > I had to look it up. Linux. "Primitive" was the word used, but I
> > > can't argue with that because I like simple... I just want a few other
> > > functions too.

> > Linux. *Pah. *Linux is a johnny-come-lately OS.

> > Still, I'm happy that our company is developing a product for
> > Linux. *Gets me back to a usable command line. *I've hated
> > Windows since the first day I used it.

> > Cindy Hamilton

> Please ask your company to fix Sunquest LIS (aka "Smart term") to dump
> the dammed DOS and turn it into a REAL computer program with a software
> update!

Sorry, my company doesn't have anything to do with that. Here's us:

http://www.adi.com

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 28, 5:43*pm, Omelet > wrote:
> In article >,
>
> *sf > wrote:
> > On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 06:53:26 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > > wrote:

> > > Gets me back to a usable command line. *I've hated
> > > Windows since the first day I used it.

> > Opposite reaction from me. *I remember the first day I used windows.
> > The heavens opened, the sun shined brightly and there was a choir
> > singing from above.

> I hate DOS and command lines!
> Too damned much memory work.
>
> I like programs that are intuitive like Mysis and HLLC. :-)

Well, everybody's different. I have an excellent memory, and
I find that intuitive programs are only intuitive if you think the
way the designer did.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 06/29/2010 03:18 AM, Omelet wrote:
> In >,
> Serene > wrote:
>
>> On 06/28/2010 10:19 PM, Omelet wrote:
>>

>>> Sounds a lot like this:
>>>
>>> <http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...w?feat=directl
>>> ink>
>>>
>>> Stuff like that is the gods. ;-d

>> This is how we usually do it. We call them caprese sandwiches.
>>
>> http://pics.livejournal.com/serenejo...ic/0001chgf/g5
>>
>> Serene

> Ooh thanks for that! I like that idea. :-)
> What's it dressed with?

Little bit of good olive oil, sprinkle of salt. Sometimes a drizzle of
balsamic vinegar.

> Next time I make the "mini-caprese" appetizers for potluck, I'll have to
> take pics. I just did not have time last time!

Oh, I almost made caprese kabobs for the thing on Saturday, but someone
in the group is allergic to raw tomatoes, so I skipped it.

> They are made with either cubes or pre-made grape sized balls of the
> cheese and a frilly toothpick.<g>

Cool.

Serene

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Cindy Hamilton > wrote:

> On Jun 28, 5:42*pm, Omelet > wrote:
> > In article

> > > Still, I'm happy that our company is developing a product for
> > > Linux. *Gets me back to a usable command line. *I've hated
> > > Windows since the first day I used it.

> > > Cindy Hamilton

> > Please ask your company to fix Sunquest LIS (aka "Smart term") to dump
> > the dammed DOS and turn it into a REAL computer program with a software
> > update!

> Sorry, my company doesn't have anything to do with that. Here's us:
>
> http://www.adi.com
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Okay, it was worth a shot. <g>
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Cindy Hamilton > wrote:

> On Jun 28, 5:43*pm, Omelet > wrote:
> > In article >,
> >
> > *sf > wrote:
> > > On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 06:53:26 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton

> > > Opposite reaction from me. *I remember the first day I used windows.
> > > The heavens opened, the sun shined brightly and there was a choir
> > > singing from above.

> > I hate DOS and command lines!
> > Too damned much memory work.
> >
> > I like programs that are intuitive like Mysis and HLLC. :-)

> Well, everybody's different. I have an excellent memory, and
> I find that intuitive programs are only intuitive if you think the
> way the designer did.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Hm, I guess what I mean by intuitive is that the icons and drop down
menus make logical sense and are well organized. :-) All I have to do is
to look at the screen to tell what I need to do...
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Serene Vannoy > wrote:

> >> This is how we usually do it. We call them caprese sandwiches.
> >>
> >> http://pics.livejournal.com/serenejo...ic/0001chgf/g5
> >>
> >> Serene

> > Ooh thanks for that! I like that idea. :-)
> > What's it dressed with?

> Little bit of good olive oil, sprinkle of salt. Sometimes a drizzle of
> balsamic vinegar.

Similar to what I do but I do add a little pepper to that. :-)

> > Next time I make the "mini-caprese" appetizers for potluck, I'll have to
> > take pics. I just did not have time last time!

> Oh, I almost made caprese kabobs for the thing on Saturday, but someone
> in the group is allergic to raw tomatoes, so I skipped it.

Too bad. :-(

> > They are made with either cubes or pre-made grape sized balls of the
> > cheese and a frilly toothpick.<g>

> Cool.
>
> Serene

Cheers!

I never thought of kabobing more than one bite like that tho'.
Interesting idea! It'd make it easier for each person in line to take a
good portion.
--
Peace! Om