Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default cooking related

I just discovered by accident that if you're saving a Word document
(recipe), hit F12 and the last folder you saved to comes up instantly.

I didn't know!

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2010-06-24, sf > wrote:

> I just discovered by accident that if you're saving a Word document
> (recipe), hit F12 and the last folder you saved to comes up instantly.
>
> I didn't know!

What's a "Word document"?

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> I just discovered by accident that if you're saving a Word document
> (recipe), hit F12 and the last folder you saved to comes up instantly.
>
> I didn't know!

That's good to know. Mine always end up in the Documents folder and then
I have to sort through all the other stuff in there.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2010-06-24, sf > wrote:
>>
>> I just discovered by accident that if you're saving a Word document
>> (recipe), hit F12 and the last folder you saved to comes up instantly.
>>
>> I didn't know!

> What's a "Word document"?
>
> nb

MS Word - a word processing document using Microsoft Word as the word
processing program. AKA Word Document.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 18:26:15 GMT, notbob > wrote:

> On 2010-06-24, sf > wrote:
> >
> > I just discovered by accident that if you're saving a Word document
> > (recipe), hit F12 and the last folder you saved to comes up instantly.
> >
> > I didn't know!

> What's a "Word document"?

You don't use Microsoft anymore.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
. com...
> sf wrote:
>> I just discovered by accident that if you're saving a Word document
>> (recipe), hit F12 and the last folder you saved to comes up instantly.
>>
>> I didn't know!
>>

> That's good to know. Mine always end up in the Documents folder and then I
> have to sort through all the other stuff in there.

If you remember the file name start typing in the box & it usually will
bring up the title.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 15:06:51 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> sf wrote:
> > I just discovered by accident that if you're saving a Word document
> > (recipe), hit F12 and the last folder you saved to comes up instantly.
> >
> > I didn't know!
> >

> That's good to know.

I usually save a .doc via "save as", but hit F12 by accident and my
recipe file flew open. I checked it out and by golly you can skip
"save as". You have to navigate the tree on your first save though.

> Mine always end up in the Documents folder and then I have to
> sort through all the other stuff in there.

You save them in My Documents? Do you know how to create a folder
with subfolders? If you don't want to plop it onto your C drive, you
can put it on your desktop. I can help you with that the next time I
see you in chat, here or by email, if you'd like to know how.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 24, 2:42*pm, sf > wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 15:06:51 -0400, Dave Smith
>

> > Mine always end up in the Documents folder and then I have to
> > sort through all the other stuff in there.

> You save them in My Documents? *Do you know how to create a folder
> with subfolders? *If you don't want to plop it onto your C drive, you
> can put it on your desktop. *I can help you with that the next time I
> see you in chat, here or by email, if you'd like to know how.

I always save mine to my desktop too. For me it's just easier seeing
them right there and not saved to my C drive. But I guess whatever is
convenient is best for that person. Having the folders is a nice
feature.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

>> Mine always end up in the Documents folder and then I have to
>> sort through all the other stuff in there.

> You save them in My Documents? Do you know how to create a folder
> with subfolders? If you don't want to plop it onto your C drive, you
> can put it on your desktop. I can help you with that the next time I
> see you in chat, here or by email, if you'd like to know how.

Thanks for the offer, but I know how. I just haven't bothered.

Wait a sec..... I'll do it right now.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> sf wrote:
>
>>> Mine always end up in the Documents folder and then I have to sort
>>> through all the other stuff in there.

>> You save them in My Documents? Do you know how to create a folder
>> with subfolders? If you don't want to plop it onto your C drive, you
>> can put it on your desktop. I can help you with that the next time I
>> see you in chat, here or by email, if you'd like to know how.

> Thanks for the offer, but I know how. I just haven't bothered.
>
> Wait a sec..... I'll do it right now.

Okay.... it's done ;-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 20:19:35 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> Dave Smith wrote:

> >> You save them in My Documents? Do you know how to create a folder
> >> with subfolders? If you don't want to plop it onto your C drive, you
> >> can put it on your desktop. I can help you with that the next time I
> >> see you in chat, here or by email, if you'd like to know how.

> > Thanks for the offer, but I know how. I just haven't bothered.
> >
> > Wait a sec..... I'll do it right now.
> >

> Okay.... it's done ;-)

YAY! No more hunting. I add subfolders as I see "themes" build.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> You save them in My Documents? Do you know how to create a folder
> with subfolders? If you don't want to plop it onto your C drive, you
> can put it on your desktop. I can help you with that the next time I
> see you in chat, here or by email, if you'd like to know how.

Ehm? Unless one has a seriously non-standard windoze install, both "My
Documents" and "Desktop" are part of one's C drive. So if one doesn't
want to 'plop it onto one's C drive', one would better navigate away
from predefined things like 'My Documents' or 'Desktop'......

-j
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 24, 3:42*pm, sf > wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 15:06:51 -0400, Dave Smith
>
> > wrote:
> > sf wrote:
> > > I just discovered by accident that if you're saving a Word document
> > > (recipe), hit F12 and the last folder you saved to comes up instantly..

> > > I didn't know!

> > That's good to know.

> I usually save a .doc via "save as", *but hit F12 by accident and my
> recipe file flew open. *I checked it out and by golly you can skip
> "save as". *You have to navigate the tree on your first save though.
>
> > Mine always end up in the Documents folder and then I have to
> > sort through all the other stuff in there.

> You save them in My Documents? *Do you know how to create a folder
> with subfolders? *If you don't want to plop it onto your C drive, you
> can put it on your desktop. *I can help you with that the next time I
> see you in chat, here or by email, if you'd like to know how.

My husband teaches an intro to computers class at the local continuing
education program. It's a two night course for beginner computer
users. Students fill out a simple evaluation at the end where they are
given the opportunity to say how they liked or didn't like the course.
One of his first students wrote that the best/coolest thing she
learned was how to make folders.

Tracy

-Chicken wings tonight. Not sure yet how I will make them. Usually I
marinate them in a combination of Frank's hot sauce, Italian dressing
and touch of soy and bake them until they nearly burnt. It's the way
my son likes them.

If it's not too hot, I might fry them instead and use this recipe
which I have tried once before and really liked. The wings are fried
then glazed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=le1uwHm4T4E

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 18:26:15 GMT, notbob > wrote:
>
>> On 2010-06-24, sf > wrote:
>>> I just discovered by accident that if you're saving a Word document
>>> (recipe), hit F12 and the last folder you saved to comes up instantly.
>>>
>>> I didn't know!

>> What's a "Word document"?
>>

> You don't use Microsoft anymore.

I don't. I use Word Perfect which will open and create Word (*.doc)
files for me very nicely. I also use Open Office which is free.

I need a "grown-up" word processor. Word is fine, if you've never used
anything else. Once you have, Word just doesn't cut it. JMHO

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> sf wrote:
>> I just discovered by accident that if you're saving a Word document
>> (recipe), hit F12 and the last folder you saved to comes up instantly.
>>
>> I didn't know!
>>

> That's good to know. Mine always end up in the Documents folder and then
> I have to sort through all the other stuff in there.

One of the reasons I don't like Word

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Wilder wrote:
> Dave Smith wrote:
>> sf wrote:
>>> I just discovered by accident that if you're saving a Word document
>>> (recipe), hit F12 and the last folder you saved to comes up instantly.
>>>
>>> I didn't know!
>>>

>> That's good to know. Mine always end up in the Documents folder and
>> then I have to sort through all the other stuff in there.

> One of the reasons I don't like Word

I'm coming into this late but... don't you all make folders up to store
specific items within your documents files? Just tell the computer to
save your work to the specific folder and you won't have any trouble
finding it again.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 12:17:18 -0500, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

> sf wrote:

> >> What's a "Word document"?
> >>

> > You don't use Microsoft anymore.
> >

> I don't. I use Word Perfect which will open and create Word (*.doc)
> files for me very nicely. I also use Open Office which is free.
>
> I need a "grown-up" word processor. Word is fine, if you've never used
> anything else. Once you have, Word just doesn't cut it. JMHO

I have both Open Office and Word Perfect. HATE both of them and think
Word is the grown up word processor.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 07:36:06 -0700 (PDT), Tracy >
wrote:

> My husband teaches an intro to computers class at the local continuing
> education program. It's a two night course for beginner computer
> users. Students fill out a simple evaluation at the end where they are
> given the opportunity to say how they liked or didn't like the course.
> One of his first students wrote that the best/coolest thing she
> learned was how to make folders.

I've thought it might be fun to teach a computer class at a senior
center.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 12:17:41 -0500, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

> Dave Smith wrote:
> > sf wrote:
> >> I just discovered by accident that if you're saving a Word document
> >> (recipe), hit F12 and the last folder you saved to comes up instantly.
> >>
> >> I didn't know!
> >>

> > That's good to know. Mine always end up in the Documents folder and then
> > I have to sort through all the other stuff in there.

> One of the reasons I don't like Word

Good grief. Both of you sound like rank armatures.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 12:05:24 -0700, sf wrote:

> I've thought it might be fun to teach a computer class at a senior
> center.

Why limit yourself to senior centers, sf? I'm sure Microsoft would have an
opening for one with computer skills such as yours?

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 12:17:18 -0500, Janet Wilder
> > wrote:
>
>> sf wrote:

>>> You don't use Microsoft anymore.
>>>

>> I don't. I use Word Perfect which will open and create Word (*.doc)
>> files for me very nicely. I also use Open Office which is free.
>>
>> I need a "grown-up" word processor. Word is fine, if you've never used
>> anything else. Once you have, Word just doesn't cut it. JMHO

> I have both Open Office and Word Perfect. HATE both of them and think
> Word is the grown up word processor.

My guess is that you only need a very basic word processor. Open Office
and Word Perfect are more sophisticated and do a lot more things, but
they do require a learning curve.

I have used Microsoft Word on other people's computers and I always get
so frustrated because the tools I normally use just aren't there.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 14:53:20 -0500, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

> My guess is that you only need a very basic word processor. Open Office
> and Word Perfect are more sophisticated and do a lot more things, but
> they do require a learning curve.
>
> I have used Microsoft Word on other people's computers and I always get
> so frustrated because the tools I normally use just aren't there.

Your feelings about Word are mine toward the other two. They simply
can not do what Word does.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 25, 3:06*pm, sf > wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 12:17:41 -0500, Janet Wilder
>
> > wrote:
> > Dave Smith wrote:

> > > That's good to know. Mine always end up in the Documents folder and then
> > > I have to sort through all the other stuff in there.

> > One of the reasons I don't like Word

> Good grief. *Both of you sound like rank armatures.

I don't like Word, either. I prefer vi.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 21:21:38 +0200, ChattyCathy
> wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 12:05:24 -0700, sf wrote:
>
> > I've thought it might be fun to teach a computer class at a senior
> > center.

> Why limit yourself to senior centers, sf? I'm sure Microsoft would have an
> opening for one with computer skills such as yours?

I am a rank armature, Cathy, but thanks for the compliment. I know
enough to teach senior citizens who barely know how to turn on a
computer, that's about it.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 13:10:04 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

> I don't like Word, either. I prefer vi.

I had to look it up. Linux. "Primitive" was the word used, but I
can't argue with that because I like simple... I just want a few other
functions too.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 16:42:18 -0500, heyjoe >
wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 13:10:04 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>
> > I don't like Word, either. I prefer vi.

> Yahbut . . . vi isn't a word processor and Word sux at plain text. Horses
> for courses.

Why would brag about plain text? It's simple enough to strip
formatting using Word, but you wouldn't know that.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Wilder wrote:
> Dave Smith wrote:
>> sf wrote:
>>> I just discovered by accident that if you're saving a Word document
>>> (recipe), hit F12 and the last folder you saved to comes up instantly.
>>>
>>> I didn't know!
>>>

>> That's good to know. Mine always end up in the Documents folder and
>> then I have to sort through all the other stuff in there.

> One of the reasons I don't like Word

??? I use Word and save documents to wherever I want--which for
me means the desktop, from which I might move it into a folder.
(I could save directly to folders, of course.)

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 18:41:41 -0400, "Jean B." > wrote:

> Janet Wilder wrote:
> > Dave Smith wrote:

> >> That's good to know. Mine always end up in the Documents folder and
> >> then I have to sort through all the other stuff in there.

> > One of the reasons I don't like Word
> >

> ??? I use Word and save documents to wherever I want--which for
> me means the desktop, from which I might move it into a folder.
> (I could save directly to folders, of course.)

If their mind is already made up, they'll find one reason or another
not to like it - even if the reason isn't a very good one.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 21:21:38 +0200, ChattyCathy
> > wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 12:05:24 -0700, sf wrote:
>>
>>> I've thought it might be fun to teach a computer class at a senior
>>> center.

>> Why limit yourself to senior centers, sf? I'm sure Microsoft would have an
>> opening for one with computer skills such as yours?

> I am a rank armature, Cathy, but thanks for the compliment. I know
> enough to teach senior citizens who barely know how to turn on a
> computer, that's about it.

My husband is always telling me I should teach a class. He is the IT
guy, not me. I get my way around fine enough, but trying to teach
others, in a classroom?, I don't think I could do that.

On the other hand, I am constantly surprised by the number of people
"out there" who have no idea how to even read an email and I have always
been the person in the office people ask "how do I?" and I am usually
able to figure it out. So...I continue to consider it. It might actually
be fun.

Tracy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 18:41:41 -0400, "Jean B." > wrote:
>
>> Janet Wilder wrote:

>>> One of the reasons I don't like Word
>>>

>> ??? I use Word and save documents to wherever I want--which for
>> me means the desktop, from which I might move it into a folder.
>> (I could save directly to folders, of course.)

> If their mind is already made up, they'll find one reason or another
> not to like it - even if the reason isn't a very good one.

Yup. I have a whole set of folders I use to save various documents.
Word works fine for me.

I will say that my recipe folder has gotten rather large, so now I tend
to print them out and put them in a binder.

Tracy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 14:53:20 -0500, Janet Wilder
> > wrote:
>
>> My guess is that you only need a very basic word processor. Open Office
>> and Word Perfect are more sophisticated and do a lot more things, but
>> they do require a learning curve.
>>
>> I have used Microsoft Word on other people's computers and I always get
>> so frustrated because the tools I normally use just aren't there.

> Your feelings about Word are mine toward the other two. They simply
> can not do what Word does.

All the major word processors now have roughly the same functionality,
it's just that the controls to accomplish it are different. If one is
used to WordPerfect, working with Word becomes a prolonged 'it should be
able to do this, but where the ^&$@ did they hide that function?'
experience and vice versa.

That aside, like or dislike for one of the other probably goes back to
the philosophy behind them - WordPerfect started out as a no-frills word
processor for writing structured content (legalese, manuals etc.) and
Word started out as a 'we can make your letter look sooooo pretty, look
we can use 17 different fonts in one paragraph' thing to compete with
MacWrite. Which functions are 'easy' and which ones are 'there, but you
have to look for it' is still a legacy of that difference.

-j
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 16:42:18 -0500, heyjoe >
> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 13:10:04 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>
>>> I don't like Word, either. I prefer vi.

>> Yahbut . . . vi isn't a word processor and Word sux at plain text. Horses
>> for courses.

> Why would brag about plain text? It's simple enough to strip
> formatting using Word, but you wouldn't know that.

Someone who is proficient in vi would probably be know how to either
save as plaintext from word, or to open the .docx file generated by Word
(which is plain text XML) and write a vi macro to remove all formatting.

And why brag about text editors? Because with a text editor one can edit
a configuration file sitting right at the machine, or over a shaky 2400
baud remote link. Try doing that with a 'word processor'.

And because vi is one of the most complete text editors *** kitchen
sinks around (besides Emacs that is) - programmable, extensible,
supports tag files, with a few scripts it can be turned into a simple
IDE that opens the file you need, with the cursor where you need it. And
it is available on almost all operating systems: DOS, any Windoze
version, OS/2, Linux, Mac, embedded OS's like QNX or VxWorks, you name
it. And the controls have been stable for at least 30 years - no need to
re-learn using the editor every couple of years because some bright
spark decides that a 'ribbon' would be a better way to hide functions or
some such.

-j
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 23:22:00 -0400, Tracy > wrote:

> I will say that my recipe folder has gotten rather large, so now I tend
> to print them out and put them in a binder.

My recipe folder has sub folders and some of them have sub folders. I
print out recipes, but that's when I actually use them. Which reminds
me, I need to get some ink to put in my printer.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> Good grief. Both of you sound like rank armatures.

Twice in this thread you used the word "armature." Are you SURE that's the
word you mean?

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 09:04:30 +0200, jack > wrote:

> And why brag about text editors? Because with a text editor one can edit
> a configuration file sitting right at the machine, or over a shaky 2400
> baud remote link. Try doing that with a 'word processor'.

Somebody is still living in the dinosaur age.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 07:32:46 -0700, sf wrote:

> On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 09:04:30 +0200, jack > wrote:
>
>> And why brag about text editors? Because with a text editor one can edit
>> a configuration file sitting right at the machine, or over a shaky 2400
>> baud remote link. Try doing that with a 'word processor'.

> Somebody is still living in the dinosaur age.

Well, last time I checked, Jack was pretty agile for somebody from that
age. Besides, "vi" - as much as you'd like to "poo-poo" it (because it's
completely "text-based") is not too shabby either. As a matter of fact,
quite a bit of code for the current RFC site was written using vi...

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 16:47:35 +0200, ChattyCathy
> wrote:

> On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 07:32:46 -0700, sf wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 09:04:30 +0200, jack > wrote:
> >
> >> And why brag about text editors? Because with a text editor one can edit
> >> a configuration file sitting right at the machine, or over a shaky 2400
> >> baud remote link. Try doing that with a 'word processor'.

> > Somebody is still living in the dinosaur age.

> Well, last time I checked, Jack was pretty agile for somebody from that
> age. Besides, "vi" - as much as you'd like to "poo-poo" it (because it's
> completely "text-based") is not too shabby either. As a matter of fact,
> quite a bit of code for the current RFC site was written using vi...

Using Vi on your Linux?

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 09:04:30 +0200, jack > wrote:
>
>> And why brag about text editors? Because with a text editor one can edit
>> a configuration file sitting right at the machine, or over a shaky 2400
>> baud remote link. Try doing that with a 'word processor'.

> Somebody is still living in the dinosaur age.

Where I am, 2400bd is a tertiary backup, in case the high-speed links go
down and for some reason 3G and/or GSM doesn't work. But it can still
get the job done. And from what I read about U.S. network coverage, in
some places somewhere on the interstate in the middle between A and B
one would be lucky to have enough signal to have even a slow link.
And before you say that's far-fetched - BTDT, fixing things remotely
using laptop+cellphone 100 miles from the nearest town.

-j
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 08:11:14 -0700, sf wrote:

> On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 16:47:35 +0200, ChattyCathy
> > wrote:

>> > Somebody is still living in the dinosaur age.

>> Well, last time I checked, Jack was pretty agile for somebody from that
>> age. Besides, "vi" - as much as you'd like to "poo-poo" it (because it's
>> completely "text-based") is not too shabby either. As a matter of fact,
>> quite a bit of code for the current RFC site was written using vi...

> Using Vi on your Linux?

Of course. Where else? I haven't used Windoze since *before* I took over
as webmistress.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 17:20:16 +0200, ChattyCathy
> wrote:

> Of course. Where else? I haven't used Windoze since *before* I took over
> as webmistress.

Now we've come full circle.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.