Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Does sushi come from Japan

When you buy sushi in the United States, does the ingredients come
from Japan or it most of it grown or harvested in the United States.

Thanks

Tom
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tom wrote

> When you buy sushi in the United States, does the ingredients come
> from Japan or it most of it grown or harvested in the United States.

It depends but mostly it's local grown Texas or California rice, local fresh
veggies and seafoods off our own shores. IE: mostly USA stuff. Sushi is a
recipe. Nothing in it need come from Japan. The most likely 'import' is
the nori (seaweed) wrapper and that can come from several countries
including northern Europe.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Pope" wrote

> A large fraction of "sushi grade" fish is trans-shipped through Tokyo,
> where there is gigantic wholesale sushi-fish market.

Interesting but not supported by facts.

> Not sure about the rice and seaweed.

The seaweed may come from several places, including USA and Japan but also
northern Europe. My current nori is from Canada, Newfoundland. The rice is
from California. The sushi vinegar is from California and the soybeans from
Virginia as are the ginger pickled slivers. The 'wasabi' isnt real wasabi
but it tastes fine and comes from NY.

I'd be very suprised if any part of a sushi bought in the USA or Canada,
came from Japan other than perhaps the nori *might*.

BTW, 'sushi' is a rice item and it may or may not use fish as all. What you
meant above was 'sashimi grade fish' (fish of a quality to be eaten raw) and
even there, in the USA you are generally getting 'local' wild caught or in
salmon, may be farm raised.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk > wrote:

>"Steve Pope" wrote

>> A large fraction of "sushi grade" fish is trans-shipped through Tokyo,
>> where there is gigantic wholesale sushi-fish market.

>Interesting but not supported by facts.

Look up Tsukiji Fish Market.

>I'd be very suprised if any part of a sushi bought in the USA or Canada,
>came from Japan other than perhaps the nori *might*.

In Berkeley, Tokyo Fish Market sells all sorts of sushi grade fish
labeled as being from Japan, Vietnam, and New Zealand, as well as more
nearby places like Hawaii and Canada. I seem to recall a lot of the
farmed fish is from Japan.

(Note that fish from, say, Vietnam may have made a stopover
in Tokyo. I believe only the country of origin must be identified,
not intermediate countries.)

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/19/2011 8:28 PM, cshenk wrote:
> "Steve Pope" wrote
>
>> A large fraction of "sushi grade" fish is trans-shipped through Tokyo,
>> where there is gigantic wholesale sushi-fish market.

> Interesting but not supported by facts.
>
>> Not sure about the rice and seaweed.

> The seaweed may come from several places, including USA and Japan but
> also northern Europe. My current nori is from Canada, Newfoundland. The
> rice is from California. The sushi vinegar is from California and the
> soybeans from Virginia as are the ginger pickled slivers. The 'wasabi'
> isnt real wasabi but it tastes fine and comes from NY.
>
> I'd be very suprised if any part of a sushi bought in the USA or Canada,
> came from Japan other than perhaps the nori *might*.
>
> BTW, 'sushi' is a rice item and it may or may not use fish as all. What
> you meant above was 'sashimi grade fish' (fish of a quality to be eaten
> raw) and even there, in the USA you are generally getting 'local' wild
> caught or in salmon, may be farm raised.

Yes, in the US a lot of sashimi grade tuna comes right from the coast of
LI. My buddies business partner likes to fish and actually makes a nice
extra income fishing for tuna which are immediately sold whole off the
docks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Pope" wrote
> cshenk wrote:

>>> A large fraction of "sushi grade" fish is trans-shipped through Tokyo,
>>> where there is gigantic wholesale sushi-fish market.

>>Interesting but not supported by facts.

> Look up Tsukiji Fish Market.

Big market, doesn't happen to be involved in fish sold in the USA.

>>I'd be very suprised if any part of a sushi bought in the USA or Canada,
>>came from Japan other than perhaps the nori *might*.

> In Berkeley, Tokyo Fish Market sells all sorts of sushi grade fish
> labeled as being from Japan, Vietnam, and New Zealand, as well as more
> nearby places like Hawaii and Canada. I seem to recall a lot of the
> farmed fish is from Japan.

Ah, snooty Berkely. Paying markup for frozen sashimi grade from Tokyo. Got
it. The farmed fish would be from the Philippenes largely.

> (Note that fish from, say, Vietnam may have made a stopover
> in Tokyo. I believe only the country of origin must be identified,
> not intermediate countries.)

Steve, the local Sasebo Japan fish market I used if you account for the size
of the town, is bigger percentage wise. Because of it's shipping location,
you are far more likely to have had fish shipped from there if you ever had
any fish from actual Japan. Look at a map, Sasebo is a more likely stopover
for most of what you mention. Tokyo for one *is on the wrong side* of a
long large island. What they do from Korea and Vietnam is take a speed boat
to Fukuoka (3-6 hours depending on location) then train to Sasebo (2 hours)
and ship out.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George" wrote
> cshenk wrote:
>> "Steve Pope" wrote

>>> A large fraction of "sushi grade" fish is trans-shipped through Tokyo,
>>> where there is gigantic wholesale sushi-fish market.

>> Interesting but not supported by facts.

>> BTW, 'sushi' is a rice item and it may or may not use fish as all. What
>> you meant above was 'sashimi grade fish' (fish of a quality to be eaten
>> raw) and even there, in the USA you are generally getting 'local' wild
>> caught or in salmon, may be farm raised.

> Yes, in the US a lot of sashimi grade tuna comes right from the coast of
> LI. My buddies business partner likes to fish and actually makes a nice
> extra income fishing for tuna which are immediately sold whole off the
> docks.

Yup. They ship it up here to Norfolk area too. We've got a good market as
well for the sea bass and some other things which seem mostly locally caught
wild.

Either way, there's traditional confusion that sashimi = sushi when it
doesnt. Something like 60% of the sushi types are vegetarian. Only about
10% use raw fish.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> When you buy sushi in the United States, does the ingredients come
> from Japan or it most of it grown or harvested in the United States.
>
> Thanks
>
> Tom

Usually.

Rice - local USA
Vinegar powder - Japan
Seaweed - Asia not necessarily Japan
Egg -local
Fish - local USA or imported.
Shellfish - local USA or imported.
Veggies - local

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

tombates wrote:

> When you buy sushi in the United States, do the ingredients come
> from Japan or is most of it grown or harvested in the United States.

Yes... from Walmartharu.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/2417762
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 21, 11:24 am, "Dimitri" > wrote:

> Vinegar powder - Japan

Ah! I learned something today! Thanks, Dimitri!

I didn't even know there was such stuff.

Why does this interest me?

Because as much as I like the sushi I get at good Japanese places, and
as much as I like my own work (done with traditional (liquid) rice
vinegar), there is *something* about mass-produced grocery-store sushi
that appeals to me. Not the texture or the flavor of the (sometimes
less than perfectly fresh?) sashimi, but something in the sushi
itself. And I'll betcha that vinegar *powder* is it!

Will scrounge some and try it!

(Should I go for the "glow-in-the-dark" version or plain? :-) )

--
Silvar Beitel
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:

> The 'wasabi' isnt real wasabi
> but it tastes fine and comes from NY.

Most of the green stuff at sushi places is actually made from
horseradish and then it has some coloring and chemicals added to it to
make it taste different. Because wasabi and horseradish have the same
main active chemical it works as long as you never have real wasabi and
straight horseradish side by side.

Once I have real wasabi (I watched the chef grate it) and straight
horseradish (I watched the chef grate it) side by side on otherwise
identical fish dishes. The difference was obvious side by side. That's
not the same thing as saying I could tell if I were to taste some green
stuff today several years later and be able to tell on its own. The
fake wasabi isn't a bad immitation.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Doug Freyburger > wrote:

>Most of the green stuff at sushi places is actually made from
>horseradish and then it has some coloring and chemicals added to it to
>make it taste different. Because wasabi and horseradish have the same
>main active chemical it works as long as you never have real wasabi and
>straight horseradish side by side.

I'm not sure most imitation wasabi has "chemicals". The most common
flavoring ingredient besides horseradish is spirulina. And an
increasing number of such products have some real wasabi in them.

I actually like the spirulina flavor.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/21/2011 12:25 PM, Silvar Beitel wrote:
> Why does this interest me?
>
> Because as much as I like the sushi I get at good Japanese places, and
> as much as I like my own work (done with traditional (liquid) rice
> vinegar), there is *something* about mass-produced grocery-store sushi
> that appeals to me. Not the texture or the flavor of the (sometimes
> less than perfectly fresh?) sashimi, but something in the sushi
> itself. And I'll betcha that vinegar *powder* is it!
>
> Will scrounge some and try it!
>
> (Should I go for the "glow-in-the-dark" version or plain? :-) )
>
> --
> Silvar Beitel

Kroger sells sushi, you can watch them make it, slice it and plate it.
My favorite is called the Red River Roll. They stick a label on it that
says it is spicy and they are right. I love it.

Becca