Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default The Colonoscopy Diet

Mark Thorson > wrote in :

> Never having had a colonoscopy before, I'm dreading
> the prep.
>
> http://www.drugs.com/pro/gavilyte-g.html
>

> The day after doesn't sound like a picnic. One person
> told me he farted all day.

Farting is good. Sharting isn't :-)

> I'll be receiving fentanyl
> during the procedure, which as an opiate has the side
> effect of constipation. I'm wondering what I should
> eat after the procedure to counteract that. I'm
> thinking brown rice, and maybe some yogurt to restore
> intestinal flora. Any suggestions?

A nice spicy curry? That used to get me going :-)

*And* you can throw some yoghurt in it as well.

--
Peter Lucas
Hobart

Nothing ever truely dies
the Universe wastes nothing
everything is simply... transformed
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:

> Never having had a colonoscopy before, I'm dreading
> the prep.
>
> http://www.drugs.com/pro/gavilyte-g.html
>
> I was wondering whether a gourmet, artisan form
> was possible, but after reading that description
> I think not.

My prep involved several Dulcolax pills and quite a bit of
Miralax dissolved in Gatorade. It wasn't all that much fun,
and oh, full of surprises, too! but it wasn't all that bad.

I did eat yogurt the day after, but I didn't have a lot of
side winds ... I mean, effects, I just went back to my usual
diet.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Never having had a colonoscopy before, I'm dreading
the prep.

http://www.drugs.com/pro/gavilyte-g.html

I was wondering whether a gourmet, artisan form
was possible, but after reading that description
I think not. It's supposed to cause copious diarrhea,
and there's no way to make that fun.

I've heard that the hard part is choking it all down.
I have to drink a gallon of it, 8 oz at a time.
People I've talked to say this is the worst part
about a colonoscopy.

Bet they'd sell a lot more of this if you could put
vodka in it, but the instructions I was given are
clear it's just this and water during the latter
part of the day before the colonoscopy. Actually,
a very technical reading of the instructions does
not exclude vodka or other clear liquids during the
first part of that day, but I don't know what the
interaction would be like. Probably not a good idea.

The day after doesn't sound like a picnic. One person
told me he farted all day. I'll be receiving fentanyl
during the procedure, which as an opiate has the side
effect of constipation. I'm wondering what I should
eat after the procedure to counteract that. I'm
thinking brown rice, and maybe some yogurt to restore
intestinal flora. Any suggestions?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

The day before *is* the worst part. When they suggest you eat lightly
that day, do so. The less you have to process, the less unpleasant the
symptoms are. Make the prep liquid as cold as you can--it has less
taste that way.

Since you'll be sedated, the actual procedure will be over before you
know it. They always give me a juice box and a few cookies immediately
afterward. I've never had any repercussions (as it were) that I recall.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote:
> Mark Thorson wrote:
>
>> Never having had a colonoscopy before, I'm dreading
>> the prep.
>>> http://www.drugs.com/pro/gavilyte-g.html
>>> I was wondering whether a gourmet, artisan form

>> was possible, but after reading that description
>> I think not.

> My prep involved several Dulcolax pills and quite a bit of Miralax
> dissolved in Gatorade. It wasn't all that much fun,
> and oh, full of surprises, too! but it wasn't all that bad.
> I did eat yogurt the day after, but I didn't have a lot of side winds ...
> I mean, effects, I just went back to my usual
> diet.
>
> nancy

Same diet here with Ducolax and Gatorade with Miralax. I actually felt
pretty good having that light weight feeling. They put me to sleep for my
test. They went down the throat and up the ... They found nothing wrong, no
polyps, no nothing. After the test I was just groggy from being asleep. The
only pain afterwords was the co pays for the procedure. I went in for a
celiac biopsy test and they found nothing wrong. I still eat wheat but not
as much because it still bothers me with a mild skin rash afterwords. Also
tested negative for wheat allergies.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 26/03/2011 11:12 PM, Mark Thorson wrote:
> Never having had a colonoscopy before, I'm dreading
> the prep.
>
> http://www.drugs.com/pro/gavilyte-g.html
>
> I was wondering whether a gourmet, artisan form
> was possible, but after reading that description
> I think not. It's supposed to cause copious diarrhea,
> and there's no way to make that fun.

Good luck with that. Watch this video to give you a humorous perspective
on what is an view of otherwise embarassing procedure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBMsPNI6EZE
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
> Never having had a colonoscopy before, I'm dreading
> the prep.
>
> http://www.drugs.com/pro/gavilyte-g.html
>
> I was wondering whether a gourmet, artisan form
> was possible, but after reading that description
> I think not. It's supposed to cause copious diarrhea,
> and there's no way to make that fun.
>
> I've heard that the hard part is choking it all down.
> I have to drink a gallon of it, 8 oz at a time.
> People I've talked to say this is the worst part
> about a colonoscopy.
>
> Bet they'd sell a lot more of this if you could put
> vodka in it, but the instructions I was given are
> clear it's just this and water during the latter
> part of the day before the colonoscopy. Actually,
> a very technical reading of the instructions does
> not exclude vodka or other clear liquids during the
> first part of that day, but I don't know what the
> interaction would be like. Probably not a good idea.
>
> The day after doesn't sound like a picnic. One person
> told me he farted all day. I'll be receiving fentanyl
> during the procedure, which as an opiate has the side
> effect of constipation. I'm wondering what I should
> eat after the procedure to counteract that. I'm
> thinking brown rice, and maybe some yogurt to restore
> intestinal flora. Any suggestions?

Been there, done that - twice. Just eat normally after the procedure. Your
gut flora and fauna are not being wiped out by antibiotics. After mine I
went to a diner and had the large ranch breakfast. No problemo. The trick
to getting down the liquid is to keep it cold. Try to slam it down fast and
that way the texture won't be so bad. It kind of has a little sliminess to
it. Do not take the first glass and think you have some time for it to kick
in. You don't. Stay near the can. You won't believe how fast it works.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking
tom tom is offline

"Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
> Never having had a colonoscopy before, I'm dreading
> the prep.
>
> http://www.drugs.com/pro/gavilyte-g.html
>
> I was wondering whether a gourmet, artisan form
> was possible, but after reading that description
> I think not. It's supposed to cause copious diarrhea,
> and there's no way to make that fun.

The worst part is paying for what Ins doesn't cover and the prep. The prep
isn't pleasant but not that bad. Choking down a half gallon of what tastes
like seawater in a short period of time is no fun but mixing it with a
little\a lot of Vodka helps. I felt no ill effects the day after for either
one of my 2 procedures and stopped on the way home afterwards for large
breakfasts both times. The anesthesia was quite mild and I felt no pain. I
was conscious both times and actually found it quite interesting to watch my
intestines being probed on my own monitor. The drugs administered were quite
pleasant. The only gas problems were expelling some of the gas they
introduced into me to inflate my abdomen to help with the procedure but I
did what was suggested and let her rip with no significant unpleasant side
effects. Another pleasant aside for me is that both times they found nothing
and I didn't need to repeat the procedure for 5 years. In my opinion
anticipation is much greater than realization and I would suggest you not
make any worse than you need to.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
> Never having had a colonoscopy before, I'm dreading
> the prep.
>
> http://www.drugs.com/pro/gavilyte-g.html
>
> I was wondering whether a gourmet, artisan form
> was possible, but after reading that description
> I think not. It's supposed to cause copious diarrhea,
> and there's no way to make that fun.
>
> I've heard that the hard part is choking it all down.
> I have to drink a gallon of it, 8 oz at a time.
> People I've talked to say this is the worst part
> about a colonoscopy.

You have to drink "most" of it. Once you run clear, you've had enough. The
sitting on the throne is no big deal, drinking the stuff down can be
difficult. Get it as cold as you can, hold your nose and chug it.

Last time I went, II was laying in the OR thinking "they said they would
give me something to relax me, I wonder when they will" Then some nurse or
aid was asking me it I wanted some juice and a muffin or cookies. Over and
done, no pain, no strain.

As for the farts, don't worry about them; everyone is different, but they
did not last all that long. They won't stink at all since you are clean
inside. I just went back to my regular diet after.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
> Never having had a colonoscopy before, I'm dreading
> the prep.
>
> http://www.drugs.com/pro/gavilyte-g.html
>
> I was wondering whether a gourmet, artisan form
> was possible, but after reading that description
> I think not. It's supposed to cause copious diarrhea,
> and there's no way to make that fun.
>
> I've heard that the hard part is choking it all down.
> I have to drink a gallon of it, 8 oz at a time.
> People I've talked to say this is the worst part
> about a colonoscopy.
>
> Bet they'd sell a lot more of this if you could put
> vodka in it, but the instructions I was given are
> clear it's just this and water during the latter
> part of the day before the colonoscopy. Actually,
> a very technical reading of the instructions does
> not exclude vodka or other clear liquids during the
> first part of that day, but I don't know what the
> interaction would be like. Probably not a good idea.
>
> The day after doesn't sound like a picnic. One person
> told me he farted all day. I'll be receiving fentanyl
> during the procedure, which as an opiate has the side
> effect of constipation. I'm wondering what I should
> eat after the procedure to counteract that. I'm
> thinking brown rice, and maybe some yogurt to restore
> intestinal flora. Any suggestions?

The product you're consuming, polypropylene glycol 3350, is the same as
Miralax, the OTC osmotic laxative. It's not that big a deal to slurp it
down. It is about 14 days the usual Miralax dosage. Don't sweat that.

Since you're going to this degree, I suggest giving yourself a Riteaid enema
shortly before going to get it. This will make the lower bowel easier for
the endoscopist to see.

Most Important, these days people are trying to save money and reduce
procedure time so they can do more in a morning. Someone is going to ask you
what your stress-pain tolerance is, to let them decide how much to sedate,
and how much to give opiates. In my own case I tell them on a scale from
1-10 I have a pain tolerance of 0-1, or none. I don't want someone shoving
me through the procedure for their own convenience. You've gone through a
fair effort at this point. Make it as comfortable for you as possible.

A "colo" isn't a big deal. With normal findings, life will be more
comfortable, more than you might think.

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kent" > wrote in message

> "Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
>> Never having had a colonoscopy before, I'm dreading
>> the prep.
>>
>> http://www.drugs.com/pro/gavilyte-g.html
>>
>> I was wondering whether a gourmet, artisan form
>> was possible, but after reading that description
>> I think not. It's supposed to cause copious diarrhea,
>> and there's no way to make that fun.
>>
>> I've heard that the hard part is choking it all down.
>> I have to drink a gallon of it, 8 oz at a time.
>> People I've talked to say this is the worst part
>> about a colonoscopy.
>>
>> Bet they'd sell a lot more of this if you could put
>> vodka in it, but the instructions I was given are
>> clear it's just this and water during the latter
>> part of the day before the colonoscopy. Actually,
>> a very technical reading of the instructions does
>> not exclude vodka or other clear liquids during the
>> first part of that day, but I don't know what the
>> interaction would be like. Probably not a good idea.
>>
>> The day after doesn't sound like a picnic. One person
>> told me he farted all day. I'll be receiving fentanyl
>> during the procedure, which as an opiate has the side
>> effect of constipation. I'm wondering what I should
>> eat after the procedure to counteract that. I'm
>> thinking brown rice, and maybe some yogurt to restore
>> intestinal flora. Any suggestions?
>>

> The product you're consuming, polypropylene glycol 3350, is the same as
> Miralax, the OTC osmotic laxative. It's not that big a deal to slurp it
> down. It is about 14 days the usual Miralax dosage. Don't sweat that.
>
> Since you're going to this degree, I suggest giving yourself a Riteaid
> enema shortly before going to get it. This will make the lower bowel
> easier for the endoscopist to see.
>
> Most Important, these days people are trying to save money and reduce
> procedure time so they can do more in a morning. Someone is going to ask
> you what your stress-pain tolerance is, to let them decide how much to
> sedate, and how much to give opiates. In my own case I tell them on a
> scale from 1-10 I have a pain tolerance of 0-1, or none. I don't want
> someone shoving me through the procedure for their own convenience. You've
> gone through a fair effort at this point. Make it as comfortable for you
> as possible.

In my case I would describe the first experience as blinding pain. A couple
of blood curdling screams from me and they injected something wonderful into
the IV and I was out like a light. No pain afterwards, though and I was
back at work the next day. The second one I just said I wanted it and I'
pay the extra for it.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> Watch this video to give you a humorous perspective on what is an view of
> otherwise embarassing procedure.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBMsPNI6EZE

Bill Engvall also has a routine about his colonoscopy experience. Funny you
should have posted what you did, since his routine ends with the line, "I
better not see this on youtube!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZndnyK1OHdY

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 26 Mar 2011 19:12:26 -0800, Mark Thorson >
wrote:

>Never having had a colonoscopy before, I'm dreading
>the prep.
>
>http://www.drugs.com/pro/gavilyte-g.html

Hmmm... different from my prep, though mine was 3.5 years ago. No
solid food the day before; hard candy, black coffee/tea, beef/chicken
broth, etc. A bottle of magnesium citrate laxative and some tablet
laxatives.

I suspect that my specific prep may have triggered, or at least helped
out, my type 2 diabetes. :-( Already pre-diabetic I'm sure; I
sucked on hard candy most of the day before, and the morning of, with
little else in the way of calories. Within a few weeks I noticed
nightly toilet visits and the vision started to change from
nearsighted to normal. Then farsighted. Very farsighted. Dropped
about 30 lb. Fasting glucose was 300...

Oh well. Keeping it pretty well controlled now.
--
Best -- Terry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>Never having had a colonoscopy before, I'm dreading
>the prep.
>
>http://www.drugs.com/pro/gavilyte-g.html

Sounds like the stuff I took last month.
-snip-

>I've heard that the hard part is choking it all down.
>I have to drink a gallon of it, 8 oz at a time.
>People I've talked to say this is the worst part
>about a colonoscopy.

Without a doubt- my wife's was a week before mine & I thought she
was carrying on a bit about the taste. Nope. I can choke down
some pretty gross stuff, but this is spoiled sea-water.

And the results are pretty spectacular, too.<g>

>Bet they'd sell a lot more of this if you could put
>vodka in it, but the instructions I was given are
>clear it's just this and water during the latter
>part of the day before the colonoscopy. Actually,
>a very technical reading of the instructions does
>not exclude vodka or other clear liquids during the
>first part of that day, but I don't know what the
>interaction would be like. Probably not a good idea.

Yeah-- I joked with the nurses that I'd stuck to clear liquids for the
24 hrs before, but that I prefer Bourbon to vodka and gin.
[didn't mention the bottle of White Dog at the bar]

Alcohol wouldn't affect the test, but you're going to be a bit
dehydrated anyway, so it probably isn't a good idea.

For our clear liquid day I made a big batch of consomme. Makes the
whole dieting thing tolerable & it is pretty satisfying as well as
nutritious. I tried making some jello from white juices [grape,
apple & cranberry] and plain gelatin but it wasn't real successful.

>The day after doesn't sound like a picnic. One person
>told me he farted all day.

I noticed nothing different. I was a little tired-- but that isn't
real unusual for me.

>I'll be receiving fentanyl
>during the procedure, which as an opiate has the side
>effect of constipation. I'm wondering what I should
>eat after the procedure to counteract that. I'm

You'll have nothing in your system to constipate-- eat what you want.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, says...

> Never having had a colonoscopy before, I'm dreading
> the prep.

I've been on a long bowel-cancer screening program and have had three
colonoscopies. The only hard part of the whole thing, is swallowing the
sheer volume of not very palatable prep liquid.

It is really, really in your best interest to follow the
preparation fasting instructions to the absolute letter, and drink every
drop of prep at the time suggested. The cleaner emptier and more washed-
out your colon is, the easier it is to put in the scope, the better the
view the doc gets of its lining,and spot any problems. IOW, even when you
reach the prep stage of just passing clear liquid like ****, do not stop
drinking the prop. Keep going till you have finished the lot, flushing
your colon spotless.

IME there's no pain discomfort or accidental incontinence during the prep
but the alteration of salt balance makes me feel slightly tired. My tactic
is to have a quiet day at home with the prep, some DVD's and a timer;
drink each timed glass down briskly as if you were thirsty, rather than
slow sipping. I take it neat because I find added flavouring just makes
the slightly salty fluid more weird. Forget the vodka idea. You're going
to be given a highly effective relaxant shot into your bloodstream (the
rush is the highlight of the whole experience :-)), not a good idea to mix
it with alcohol. During the procedure they inflate the colon with air for
a better look, and for an hour or so after wards all that air is going to
fart back out. Everybody else will be doing the same and too medication-
relaxed to care.

The clinic I go to, after the scope you wake up back in bed, as if from
a light doze, and they bring tea and buttered toast, which is very
welcome.The relaxant used has a side effect of temporary amnesia but wears
off much faster than a GA. I've never remembered anything that happened
between the fun rush and the tea and toast arriving :-) Then you get
dressed and go home (don't drive yourself). I've always just gone straight
back to a normal diet and never had any constipation or after effects.

Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nad R wrote:
> "Nancy Young" > wrote:

>> My prep involved several Dulcolax pills and quite a bit of Miralax
>> dissolved in Gatorade.

> Same diet here with Ducolax and Gatorade with Miralax. I actually felt
> pretty good having that light weight feeling.

Yeah, turns out I like the idea of a Jello day now and then. Give
my gut a rest once in a while.

> They put me to sleep for my test.

Same here, I think they call it twilight, but I was out for whatever,
15 minutes? Then I was perfectly ready to go, but they made
me eat a donut and have some juice.

> They went down the throat and up the ... They found
> nothing wrong, no polyps, no nothing.

The doctor made me laugh, every time he walked by me in the
recovery area, he'd give me thumbs up, PERFECT! Of course,
I was relieved, I'm sure you were, too.

> After the test I was just
> groggy from being asleep. The only pain afterwords was the co pays
> for the procedure. I went in for a celiac biopsy test and they found
> nothing wrong. I still eat wheat but not as much because it still
> bothers me with a mild skin rash afterwords. Also tested negative for
> wheat allergies.

It's good to know.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Paul M. Cook wrote:

> won't be so bad. It kind of has a little sliminess to it. Do not
> take the first glass and think you have some time for it to kick in.
> You don't. Stay near the can. You won't believe how fast it works.

The three guys on Men of a Certain Age decided to make a weekend
of having theirs done. It was comical when the stuff kicked in and they
all were stuck waiting for the elevator.

I didn't have any reaction for some time, I wondered if it was going
to work at all. Then it was off to the races.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 26, 11:12*pm, Mark Thorson > wrote:
> Never having had a colonoscopy before, I'm dreading
> the prep.
>
> http://www.drugs.com/pro/gavilyte-g.html
>
> I was wondering whether a gourmet, artisan form
> was possible, but after reading that description
> I think not. *It's supposed to cause copious diarrhea,
> and there's no way to make that fun.
>
> I've heard that the hard part is choking it all down.
> I have to drink a gallon of it, 8 oz at a time.
> People I've talked to say this is the worst part
> about a colonoscopy.
>
> Bet they'd sell a lot more of this if you could put
> vodka in it, but the instructions I was given are
> clear it's just this and water during the latter
> part of the day before the colonoscopy. *Actually,
> a very technical reading of the instructions does
> not exclude vodka or other clear liquids during the
> first part of that day, but I don't know what the
> interaction would be like. *Probably not a good idea.
>
> The day after doesn't sound like a picnic. *One person
> told me he farted all day. *I'll be receiving fentanyl
> during the procedure, which as an opiate has the side
> effect of constipation. *I'm wondering what I should
> eat after the procedure to counteract that. *I'm
> thinking brown rice, and maybe some yogurt to restore
> intestinal flora. *Any suggestions?

You'd be smart if you set up a chair near the bathroom.
If your in a far away part of the house, you'll never make it.
Sometimes the Dr pumps too much air in there and that's
what causes all that gas after your done. Once he put so much
air in there I was in such pain I could hardly stand up. I had
trouble getting home.
Good luck.

Lucille

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I had a Colonscopy last Monday. I was given the choice of taking the
liquid or taking 32 horse pills, and everybody I talked to told me to
take the pills because the liquid was nasty. The day before the only
semi-solid food I could eat was green Jello. I could drink any clear
liquid (including broth) except for pulpy fruit juices and anything
red like Cheerwine or Redpop, and alcohol was OK. I was very hungry
Sunday night, and chewed on a piece of swiss cheese but spit it out
before swallowing it. The day after, there was some gas, immediately
after I was discharged I ate, and went home and slept for a couple
hours. I was somewhat constipated for a couple days after, but am
fine now. Fortunately, the Colonoscopy was clean. I am only 47, but
my dad died of Colon Cancer at 55 and I am taking steps now to avoid
what happened to him; eighteen months ago I had one and they cut out
four polyps, but because I was clean this time I will not have to do
this again for another three years.

The best advice for a Colonscopy is to schedule it on a Monday morning
as early as possible, and do all your preparation Sunday at home.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
tom tom is offline

"MoviPrep is a nuclear laxative. I don't want to be too graphic, here, but:
Have you ever seen a space shuttle launch? This is pretty much the MoviPrep
experience, with you as the shuttle. There are times when you wish the
commode had a seat belt. You spend several hours pretty much confined to the
bathroom, spurting violently. You eliminate everything. And then, when you
figure you must be totally empty, you have to drink another liter of
MoviPrep, at which point, as far as I can tell, your bowels travel into the
future and start eliminating food that you have not even eaten yet."

http://www.miamiherald.com/2009/02/1...-my-colon.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Terry" > wrote in message
news
> On Sat, 26 Mar 2011 19:12:26 -0800, Mark Thorson >
> wrote:
>
>>Never having had a colonoscopy before, I'm dreading
>>the prep.
>>
>>http://www.drugs.com/pro/gavilyte-g.html
>>

> Hmmm... different from my prep, though mine was 3.5 years ago. No
> solid food the day before; hard candy, black coffee/tea, beef/chicken
> broth, etc. A bottle of magnesium citrate laxative and some tablet
> laxatives.

Was it a full colonoscopy?
They gave me that routine for a partial, lower portion only. For the full,
we get the gallon of stuff.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote:
> Nad R wrote:
>> "Nancy Young" > wrote:

>>> My prep involved several Dulcolax pills and quite a bit of Miralax
>>> dissolved in Gatorade.

>> Same diet here with Ducolax and Gatorade with Miralax. I actually felt
>> pretty good having that light weight feeling.

> Yeah, turns out I like the idea of a Jello day now and then. Give
> my gut a rest once in a while.
>
>> They put me to sleep for my test.

> Same here, I think they call it twilight, but I was out for whatever,
> 15 minutes? Then I was perfectly ready to go, but they made
> me eat a donut and have some juice.
>> They went down the throat and up the ... They found
>> nothing wrong, no polyps, no nothing.

> The doctor made me laugh, every time he walked by me in the
> recovery area, he'd give me thumbs up, PERFECT! Of course,
> I was relieved, I'm sure you were, too.
>> After the test I was just
>> groggy from being asleep. The only pain afterwords was the co pays
>> for the procedure. I went in for a celiac biopsy test and they found
>> nothing wrong. I still eat wheat but not as much because it still
>> bothers me with a mild skin rash afterwords. Also tested negative for
>> wheat allergies.

> It's good to know.
> nancy

For those that are curious. The total cost for the double exam for down the
throat and up the... Was around $5,000 U.S. two years ago and my 20% co-pay
was $1,000 US. I reached my max co pay over night, so future medical
expenses cost me nothing out of pocket for the rest of the year. Peace of
mind... Priceless

One grand still leaves a pain in the ...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 00:07:06 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"
> wrote:

>"Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
>> Never having had a colonoscopy before, I'm dreading
>> the prep.
>>
>> http://www.drugs.com/pro/gavilyte-g.html
>>
>> I was wondering whether a gourmet, artisan form
>> was possible, but after reading that description
>> I think not. It's supposed to cause copious diarrhea,
>> and there's no way to make that fun.
>>
>> I've heard that the hard part is choking it all down.
>> I have to drink a gallon of it, 8 oz at a time.
>> People I've talked to say this is the worst part
>> about a colonoscopy.

>You have to drink "most" of it. Once you run clear, you've had enough. The
>sitting on the throne is no big deal, drinking the stuff down can be
>difficult. Get it as cold as you can, hold your nose and chug it.
>
>Last time I went, II was laying in the OR thinking "they said they would
>give me something to relax me, I wonder when they will" Then some nurse or
>aid was asking me it I wanted some juice and a muffin or cookies. Over and
>done, no pain, no strain.
>
>As for the farts, don't worry about them; everyone is different, but they
>did not last all that long. They won't stink at all since you are clean
>inside. I just went back to my regular diet after.

After my ordeal the doc said you're fine, I'll see you in ten years...
I said no you won't. There is no part of a colonoscopy that's
pleasant... I'd much rather have another wisdom tooth extracted.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, says...

> "MoviPrep is a nuclear laxative. I don't want to be too graphic, here, but:
> Have you ever seen a space shuttle launch? This is pretty much the MoviPrep
> experience, with you as the shuttle. There are times when you wish the
> commode had a seat belt. You spend several hours pretty much confined to the
> bathroom, spurting violently. You eliminate everything. And then, when you
> figure you must be totally empty, you have to drink another liter of
> MoviPrep, at which point, as far as I can tell, your bowels travel into the
> future and start eliminating food that you have not even eaten yet."

http://www.miamiherald.com/2009/02/1...-my-colon.html

Far more importantly, he goes on

"And then it was time, the moment I had been dreading for more than a
decade. If you are squeamish, prepare yourself, because I am going to tell
you, in explicit detail, exactly what it was like.

I have no idea. Really. I slept through it. One moment, Abba was shrieking
``Dancing Queen! Feel the beat from the tambourine . . .''

.. . . and the next moment, I was back in the other room, waking up in a
very mellow mood. Andy was looking down at me and asking me how I felt. I
felt excellent. I felt even more excellent when Andy told me that it was
all over, and that my colon had passed with flying colors. I have never
been prouder of an internal organ.

But my point is this: In addition to being a pathetic medical weenie, I
was a complete moron. For more than a decade I avoided getting a procedure
that was, essentially, nothing. There was no pain and, except for the
MoviPrep, no discomfort. I was risking my life for nothing.

Read mo http://www.miamiherald.com/2009/02/1.../dave-barry-a-
journey-into-my-colon.html#ixzz1HoMy6Rrh

Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>Never having had a colonoscopy before, I'm dreading
>the prep.
>
>http://www.drugs.com/pro/gavilyte-g.html

Well, having had many colonoscopies (my last one was my thirteenth), I
have to say the prep is definitely the worst part. Over the years I've
been given three different clean out routines and the worst is having
to drink 2 gallons of that slimy glycol based Liquid Plumber stuff.
Here's a little bit of related humour. I think it was on about my
fifth or sixth procedure that I ran into an old school friend in
surgical daycare. I asked him why he was there and he told me he was
having some stomach trouble so they were going to stick some scope
down his throat and have a look. I told him I was there for a scoping
as well but they would be putting the scope in from the other end.
His reply, 'Jeez, I hope they do me first!'

Ross.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

<Ross@home> wrote in message
> On Sat, 26 Mar 2011 19:12:26 -0800, Mark Thorson >
> wrote:
>
>>Never having had a colonoscopy before, I'm dreading
>>the prep.
>>
>>http://www.drugs.com/pro/gavilyte-g.html
>>

> Well, having had many colonoscopies (my last one was my thirteenth), I
> have to say the prep is definitely the worst part. Over the years I've
> been given three different clean out routines and the worst is having
> to drink 2 gallons of that slimy glycol based Liquid Plumber stuff.
> Here's a little bit of related humour. I think it was on about my
> fifth or sixth procedure that I ran into an old school friend in
> surgical daycare. I asked him why he was there and he told me he was
> having some stomach trouble so they were going to stick some scope
> down his throat and have a look. I told him I was there for a scoping
> as well but they would be putting the scope in from the other end.
> His reply, 'Jeez, I hope they do me first!'

<g>

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote

> After my ordeal the doc said you're fine, I'll see you in ten years...
> I said no you won't. There is no part of a colonoscopy that's
> pleasant... I'd much rather have another wisdom tooth extracted.

I said the same thing after the first, but since they found a small benign
polyp, I figured I go back after five years. The procedure is nothing, the
prep is horrid, but the peace of mind makes it worth it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Brooklyn1 says...

> After my ordeal the doc said you're fine, I'll see you in ten years...
> I said no you won't. There is no part of a colonoscopy that's
> pleasant... I'd much rather have another wisdom tooth extracted.

Compared with bowel cancer, a wisdom tooth extraction is a walk in the
park

Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet wrote:

> The UK's NHS also has a nationwide bowel cancer screening program
> (available every two years to anyone in the target group)It's a very easy
> sample procedure, done at home with a kit provided then posted for lab
> testing. Good reassurance between colonoscopies :-)
> Don't know if it's available in the USA.

Yes, it is. I do that every year.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I've had two. One was just the normal "you are at that age" one and I
learned from that one that when you are living in your RV, you need a
site with a sewer hookup. Since we didn't have one, we had to call the
"honey wagon" to pump us out. I slept through it.

The second one was after I had had my emergency colostomy from the pain
meds of my radiation treatment (cancer of the tongue) rupturing my
colon. They needed to do a colonoscopy before they could do the
reconnection surgery.

They didn't put me totally out and I started to come around a bit. I
began laughing and they stopped to see what was so funny. There I was
lying on my back! They were putting the scope in the colostomy hole in
my stomach. I thought it was very funny to be able to get a colonoscopy
while lying on my back.

My next one will probably be due at the end of this year. I expect I'll
be placed on my side like a normal person, TG!

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/27/2011 10:43 AM, Janet wrote:
> In >, Brooklyn1 says...
>>
>> After my ordeal the doc said you're fine, I'll see you in ten years...
>> I said no you won't. There is no part of a colonoscopy that's
>> pleasant... I'd much rather have another wisdom tooth extracted.

> Compared with bowel cancer, a wisdom tooth extraction is a walk in the
> park

I definitely see your point. Hope you stay well.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 26, 11:12*pm, Mark Thorson > wrote:
> Never having had a colonoscopy before, I'm dreading
> the prep.
>
> http://www.drugs.com/pro/gavilyte-g.html
>
> I was wondering whether a gourmet, artisan form
> was possible, but after reading that description
> I think not. *It's supposed to cause copious diarrhea,
> and there's no way to make that fun.
>
> I've heard that the hard part is choking it all down.
> I have to drink a gallon of it, 8 oz at a time.
> People I've talked to say this is the worst part
> about a colonoscopy.
>
> Bet they'd sell a lot more of this if you could put
> vodka in it, but the instructions I was given are
> clear it's just this and water during the latter
> part of the day before the colonoscopy. *Actually,
> a very technical reading of the instructions does
> not exclude vodka or other clear liquids during the
> first part of that day, but I don't know what the
> interaction would be like. *Probably not a good idea.
>
> The day after doesn't sound like a picnic. *One person
> told me he farted all day. *I'll be receiving fentanyl
> during the procedure, which as an opiate has the side
> effect of constipation. *I'm wondering what I should
> eat after the procedure to counteract that. *I'm
> thinking brown rice, and maybe some yogurt to restore
> intestinal flora. *Any suggestions?

Just stay real close to a bathroom the night before. And be sure to
have a ride home or take a cab. You'll want to go straight to bed and
sleep a good while.

Yeah, the prep far outweighs the procedure in unpleasantness. But,
it's fer yer health, dude.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 16:43:46 +0100, Janet > wrote:

>In article >, Brooklyn1 says...
>>
>> After my ordeal the doc said you're fine, I'll see you in ten years...
>> I said no you won't. There is no part of a colonoscopy that's
>> pleasant... I'd much rather have another wisdom tooth extracted.

> Compared with bowel cancer, a wisdom tooth extraction is a walk in the
>park

If they found something I'd do it again, but at age 66 they found
nothing the first time, who knows if I'll be here in ten years. Won't
be ten years it'll be easier and cheaper to swallow one of those micro
camera capsules, it'll check the entire alimentary canal, not just the
lower GI... they'll include a mailer for sending it to the lab. I
realize they can snip while on the table but why go to that extent
until they see/suspect something. My doctor says sending a stool
sample to the lab every five years is adequate for most people, which
is what I've been doing. The only reason I decided to have the
colonoscopy is because my brother was having a problem with pain and
they found a couple of benign polyps. I think many medical procedures
are over kill just to jack up billing... as soon as a doctor knows
someone has good medical coverage the diagnostic exams snowball. How
often should one undergo all those medical procedures, every six
months, every year, every five years, every ten years... it's a lot of
guessing is all... odds are anything occurs it will be shortly after a
test or during the period waiting for the next test... or they'll miss
it altogether. I have a dental exam every six months but I'm not
going to have a colonoscopy twice a year... they gotta come up with a
much better procedure than a trip to the roto-rooter guy, and once
every decade I think is pretty worthless. I've had a pulmonoscopy
too, I'd not want to suffer that again, I'd rather dental work. I
think it best not to dwell on what-ifs, reading medical journals can
actually make one ill. Most medical professionals will tell you that
everyone dies of something.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 10:27:22 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"
> wrote:

>"Terry" > wrote in message
>news
>> On Sat, 26 Mar 2011 19:12:26 -0800, Mark Thorson >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Never having had a colonoscopy before, I'm dreading
>>>the prep.
>>>
>>>http://www.drugs.com/pro/gavilyte-g.html
>>>

>> Hmmm... different from my prep, though mine was 3.5 years ago. No
>> solid food the day before; hard candy, black coffee/tea, beef/chicken
>> broth, etc. A bottle of magnesium citrate laxative and some tablet
>> laxatives.

>Was it a full colonoscopy?
>They gave me that routine for a partial, lower portion only. For the full,
>we get the gallon of stuff.

My understanding is that they went all they way in. Down my throat,
too. I remember almost nothing. Watched the tile walls get wavy
after the injection.... then I was looking at a screen where the
doctor was snipping away a polyp --- just one, the size of a BB --- he
said "that's all we found" or something to that effect, then just
vagueness until I was getting dressed, with the wife*** helping me.

I'll ask more about the specifics in another year and a half. As
others have noted, the prep isn't pleasant but the process was a
breeze. OATMEAL when I got home, yum!
--
***Just FWIW, relative to a comment about the term "the wife" that was
made in another thread. In my case "the wife" is anything but a

Best -- Terry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Brooklyn1 says...

> On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 16:43:46 +0100, Janet > wrote:
>
> >In article >, Brooklyn1 says...
> >>
> >> After my ordeal the doc said you're fine, I'll see you in ten years...
> >> I said no you won't. There is no part of a colonoscopy that's
> >> pleasant... I'd much rather have another wisdom tooth extracted.

> > Compared with bowel cancer, a wisdom tooth extraction is a walk in the
> >park

> If they found something I'd do it again, but at age 66 they found
> nothing the first time, who knows if I'll be here in ten years.

http://info.cancerresearchuk.org/can.../incidence/#By

quote

"The occurrence of large bowel cancer is strongly related to age, with
86% of cases arising in people who are 60 years or older ( Figure 1.2). 1-
4 Until age 50, men and women have similar rates for bowel cancer, but in
later life male rates predominate. In numerical terms, there are more male
cases of bowel cancer in almost all age-groups up to the age of 84, after
which female cases are in the majority, even though their rates are lower,
as women make up a larger proportion of the elderly population. Overall
the male:female ratio is 11:10."

I think many medical procedures
> are over kill just to jack up billing... as soon as a doctor knows
> someone has good medical coverage the diagnostic exams snowball.

Well, in the NHS we never have to worry about that issue; doctors
here don't get paid for investigation/diagnostic referrals. The patient
doesn't pay for it either. There's no billing to jack up.

> How often should one undergo all those medical procedures,

Depends on risk factors. People known to be at very high risk (of any
illness) are sensible to get screened/ reviewed regularly.

Janet
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote:

> If they found something I'd do it again, but at age 66 they found
> nothing the first time, who knows if I'll be here in ten years. Won't
> be ten years it'll be easier and cheaper to swallow one of those micro
> camera capsules, it'll check the entire alimentary canal, not just the
> lower GI... they'll include a mailer for sending it to the lab. I

No, those cameras can only inspect the small intestine.
They can't properly inspect the large intestine because
it has too many folds.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson > wrote in
:

> Never having had a colonoscopy before, I'm dreading
> the prep.
>
> http://www.drugs.com/pro/gavilyte-g.html
>
> I was wondering whether a gourmet, artisan form
> was possible, but after reading that description
> I think not. It's supposed to cause copious diarrhea,
> and there's no way to make that fun.
>
> I've heard that the hard part is choking it all down.
> I have to drink a gallon of it, 8 oz at a time.
> People I've talked to say this is the worst part
> about a colonoscopy.

Yes. 8 oz. every tem minutes is no fun. Especially if you are not
a big drinker in the first place. I set the timer to 10 minutes
after each chugging down of the 8 oz. of the flavored (my choice
lemon-lime, cherry, orange or pineapple) poluethykene glycol
elctrolyte solotion. I was told to take a 1/2 break if you get
nauseous toward the end. Then start back up to finish.

I had a light breakfast & lunch the day before. No solid food
after 6 p.m. Could not drink anything with red or purple dyes.

The moring of the procedure I started the drinking about 7 a.m.
Knocked out at 2 p.m. and awake at 3 p.m.. My ride and I went to
the grocery store before dropping me home. When I got home I
conked out for about 3 hours. Had a regular full dinner and had no
problems with any bodily function that evening, the next day etc.
What you eat afterwords, I am guessing, is up to you and how your
body functions with various foods.

Since I had an afternoon procedure I could not drive to work the
next day... so had a nice 2nd day off work with no problems. :-)

When I had to do it again I would opt for a Very early morning
colonoscopy.

Enjoy!

> Bet they'd sell a lot more of this if you could put
> vodka in it, but the instructions I was given are
> clear it's just this and water during the latter
> part of the day before the colonoscopy. Actually,
> a very technical reading of the instructions does
> not exclude vodka or other clear liquids during the
> first part of that day, but I don't know what the
> interaction would be like. Probably not a good idea.
>
> The day after doesn't sound like a picnic. One person
> told me he farted all day. I'll be receiving fentanyl
> during the procedure, which as an opiate has the side
> effect of constipation. I'm wondering what I should
> eat after the procedure to counteract that. I'm
> thinking brown rice, and maybe some yogurt to restore
> intestinal flora. Any suggestions?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Just stay real close to a bathroom the night before. *And be sure to
> have a ride home or take a cab. *You'll want to go straight to bed and
> sleep a good while.
>
> Yeah, the prep far outweighs the procedure in unpleasantness. *But,
> it's fer yer health, dude.

The clinic I went to forced me to bring somebody with me; I don't
drive and they would not let me call a taxi when it was over because I
was still a little bit loopy afterwards, so my brother took me. I
guess it was a half hour or 45 minutes after I woke up when they were
wheeling me out.