Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Lime Jello & Pineapple

Some time ago I very much enjoyed a lime jello, crushed pineapple,
cool-whip salad(?) that was refrigerated in a Bundt pan. The woman
who made it could only tell me those three ingredients, but not the
measurements of any, nor the directions. I've googled to no
convincing avail, I do have all the ingredients here, so can someone
here tell me the how to make?
Thanks, Picky
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"JeanineAlyse" <...
> Some time ago I very much enjoyed a lime jello, crushed pineapple,
> cool-whip salad(?) that was refrigerated in a Bundt pan. The woman
> who made it could only tell me those three ingredients, but not the
> measurements of any, nor the directions. I've googled to no
> convincing avail, I do have all the ingredients here, so can someone
> here tell me the how to make?
> Thanks, Picky

Here you go - from the Jell-O cookbook

1 four serving size Jello lime flavor
3/4 cup boiling water ( I'd use whatever juice from draining the pineapple
and add water as needed to equal 3/4 cup)
1/2 cup cold water
ice cubes
1 cup thawed CoolWhip
1 20 oz can crushed pineapple drained

Completely dissolve gelatin in boiling drained juice + water to equal 3/4
cup
Combine cold water and ice cubes to make 1 1/4 cups.
Add to gelatin stirring until thickened. Discard unmelted ice.
Add whipped topping blending until smooth.
Stir in pineapple. (you can add mandarin orange sections [drained], a cup of
mini marshmallows and/or 1/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans if you like)
Pour into serving bowl. Chill until set - about 2 hours.
The Jell-O book also tells how to use a mold. I'll be happy to give you
details if you like. Never any need around here. Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

thanks for the memory... my grandmother used to make e this and an aprcot
ome that was really good, in a cassarole she put the aprocots, mixed up the
jello and covered them, then she stuch that in the freezer and beat in cool
whip or similar and spread it on top, again thanks for the memory
"Polly Esther" > wrote in message

> "JeanineAlyse" <...
>> Some time ago I very much enjoyed a lime jello, crushed pineapple,
>> cool-whip salad(?) that was refrigerated in a Bundt pan. The woman
>> who made it could only tell me those three ingredients, but not the
>> measurements of any, nor the directions. I've googled to no
>> convincing avail, I do have all the ingredients here, so can someone
>> here tell me the how to make?
>> Thanks, Picky

> Here you go - from the Jell-O cookbook
>
> 1 four serving size Jello lime flavor
> 3/4 cup boiling water ( I'd use whatever juice from draining the pineapple
> and add water as needed to equal 3/4 cup)
> 1/2 cup cold water
> ice cubes
> 1 cup thawed CoolWhip
> 1 20 oz can crushed pineapple drained
>
> Completely dissolve gelatin in boiling drained juice + water to equal 3/4
> cup
> Combine cold water and ice cubes to make 1 1/4 cups.
> Add to gelatin stirring until thickened. Discard unmelted ice.
> Add whipped topping blending until smooth.
> Stir in pineapple. (you can add mandarin orange sections [drained], a cup
> of mini marshmallows and/or 1/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans if you like)
> Pour into serving bowl. Chill until set - about 2 hours.
> The Jell-O book also tells how to use a mold. I'll be happy to give
> you details if you like. Never any need around here. Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/21/2011 8:07 AM, Storrmmee wrote:
> thanks for the memory... my grandmother used to make e this and an aprcot
> ome that was really good, in a cassarole she put the aprocots, mixed up the
> jello and covered them, then she stuch that in the freezer and beat in cool
> whip or similar and spread it on top, again thanks for the memory
> "Polly > wrote in message
>>
>> "JeanineAlyse"<...
>>> Some time ago I very much enjoyed a lime jello, crushed pineapple,
>>> cool-whip salad(?) that was refrigerated in a Bundt pan. The woman
>>> who made it could only tell me those three ingredients, but not the
>>> measurements of any, nor the directions. I've googled to no
>>> convincing avail, I do have all the ingredients here, so can someone
>>> here tell me the how to make?
>>> Thanks, Picky

>> Here you go - from the Jell-O cookbook
>>
>> 1 four serving size Jello lime flavor
>> 3/4 cup boiling water ( I'd use whatever juice from draining the pineapple
>> and add water as needed to equal 3/4 cup)
>> 1/2 cup cold water
>> ice cubes
>> 1 cup thawed CoolWhip
>> 1 20 oz can crushed pineapple drained
>>
>> Completely dissolve gelatin in boiling drained juice + water to equal 3/4
>> cup
>> Combine cold water and ice cubes to make 1 1/4 cups.
>> Add to gelatin stirring until thickened. Discard unmelted ice.
>> Add whipped topping blending until smooth.
>> Stir in pineapple. (you can add mandarin orange sections [drained], a cup
>> of mini marshmallows and/or 1/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans if you like)
>> Pour into serving bowl. Chill until set - about 2 hours.
>> The Jell-O book also tells how to use a mold. I'll be happy to give
>> you details if you like. Never any need around here. Polly

Just remember to use cooked pineapple or canned. Fresh pineapple
contains the enzyme bromelain that will digest the gelatin. If you
wanted fresh pineapple, I suppose you might be able to use agar but I've
never tried. Does anyone have any experience of that?

--

James Silverton, Potomac

I'm *not*
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Polly Esther" > wrote:
-snip-
>Here you go - from the Jell-O cookbook
>
>1 four serving size Jello lime flavor
>3/4 cup boiling water ( I'd use whatever juice from draining the pineapple
>and add water as needed to equal 3/4 cup)
>1/2 cup cold water
>ice cubes
>1 cup thawed CoolWhip
>1 20 oz can crushed pineapple drained

Sounds a bit like a dessert mom used to make with plain gelatin, a can
of fruit cocktail, some maraschino cherries and whipped cream.

She called it Bavarian Cream, but I see those recipes on the net are
all over the place with ingredients, so I don't know what a 'real'
Bavarian Cream might consist of.

We always had it in a bowl that had been carried from Germany by a
great-grandparent. I can still see the moment, 50 years ago, when it
slipped out of my hand as I was putting it away.

Jim

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 20, 8:41*pm, "Polly Esther" > wrote:
> Here you go - from the Jell-O cookboo

*Polly, with four packs of Jello and so little liquid this sounds like
it would set rather firm and not "big" enough. As in firm enough to
use small molds so as to set in toothpicks to eat lollypop style? The
dish I had (and am looking for now) level-filled a 10" Bundt pan and
was just firm enough to slice like you would a cake for serving. I
usually do not care for pineapple, but this was quite good and the
lime flavor was not super strong like this recipe seems it would be.

Hard to know if I've said this right, but can you help me with such
"picky" concerns?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 21, 9:54*am, JeanineAlyse > wrote:
> On May 20, 8:41*pm, "Polly Esther" > wrote:> Here you go - from the Jell-O cookboo
>
> *Polly, with four packs of Jello and so little liquid this sounds like
> it would set rather firm and not "big" enough. *As in firm enough to
> use small molds so as to set in toothpicks to eat lollypop style? *The
> dish I had (and am looking for now) level-filled a 10" Bundt pan and
> was just firm enough to slice like you would a cake for serving. *I
> usually do not care for pineapple, but this was quite good and the
> lime flavor was not super strong like this recipe seems it would be.
>
> Hard to know if I've said this right, but can you help me with such
> "picky" concerns?

Ugh, now I see that I had read the recipe as 4 packages, not 1 four
serving size pack. With that (picky-see-correction) it now simply
seems that to make the amopunt I want could just be a doubling of all
the ingredients. I do think I remember being told by the hostess that
she used just a little less liquid than was cqalled for, and that the
recipe was on a Jello box! Thank you so, now I think I am set to make
this and will report back!
....Picky2lime+pineapple+jell!!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

[...]

"JeanineAlyse" <>
> Polly, with four packs of Jello and so little liquid this sounds like
> it would set rather firm and not "big" enough. As in firm enough to
> use small molds so as to set in toothpicks to eat lollypop style? The
> dish I had (and am looking for now) level-filled a 10" Bundt pan and
> was just firm enough to slice like you would a cake for serving. I
> usually do not care for pineapple, but this was quite good and the
> lime flavor was not super strong like this recipe seems it would be.
>
> Hard to know if I've said this right, but can you help me with such
> "picky" concerns?

Ugh, now I see that I had read the recipe as 4 packages, not 1 four
serving size pack. With that (picky-see-correction) it now simply
seems that to make the amopunt I want could just be a doubling of all
the ingredients. I do think I remember being told by the hostess that
she used just a little less liquid than was cqalled for, and that the
recipe was on a Jello box! Thank you so, now I think I am set to make
this and will report back!
....Picky2lime+pineapple+jell!!!

Mercy! I surely am glad you read the recipe a 2nd time. Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 20 May 2011 19:57:19 -0700 (PDT), JeanineAlyse
> wrote:

>Some time ago I very much enjoyed a lime jello, crushed pineapple,
>cool-whip salad(?) that was refrigerated in a Bundt pan. The woman
>who made it could only tell me those three ingredients, but not the
>measurements of any, nor the directions. I've googled to no
>convincing avail, I do have all the ingredients here, so can someone
>here tell me the how to make?
>Thanks, Picky

I'm going to take a wild guess here that the proportions are - 1 can
crushed pineapple, 1 packet jello, and 1 carton of cool whip. One of
the ladies at our old church always made a strawberry version for
potlucks using sugar-free jello. It was surprisingly good.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sugar free jello is wonderful, i loved it until it sent me to the ER....
nutrea sweet strikes again, I will be so glad when someone comes out with a
splenda version, Lee
"Kajikit" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 20 May 2011 19:57:19 -0700 (PDT), JeanineAlyse
> > wrote:
>
>>Some time ago I very much enjoyed a lime jello, crushed pineapple,
>>cool-whip salad(?) that was refrigerated in a Bundt pan. The woman
>>who made it could only tell me those three ingredients, but not the
>>measurements of any, nor the directions. I've googled to no
>>convincing avail, I do have all the ingredients here, so can someone
>>here tell me the how to make?
>>Thanks, Picky

> I'm going to take a wild guess here that the proportions are - 1 can
> crushed pineapple, 1 packet jello, and 1 carton of cool whip. One of
> the ladies at our old church always made a strawberry version for
> potlucks using sugar-free jello. It was surprisingly good.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

i have tried and that isn't at all bad, but i am lazy enough to want the
box...

sorry to the rodent, what i usually write is nutracrap, lee
"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Storrmmee" > wrote:
>
>> sugar free jello is wonderful, i loved it until it sent me to the ER....
>> nutrea sweet strikes again, I will be so glad when someone comes out with
>> splenda version, Lee

> Try mixing unsweetened cool-aid with splenda and adding knox unflavored
> gelatin.
>
> And remember please that it's nutra-sweet or aspartame.
>
> A Nutrea is an aquatic rodent. ;-) Related distantly to beavers.
> --
> Peace, Om
> Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet>
>
> "Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have
> come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
> -- Mark Twain

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 22 May 2011 01:30:05 -0500, Omelet >
wrote:

>In article >,
> "Storrmmee" > wrote:
>
>> sugar free jello is wonderful, i loved it until it sent me to the ER....
>> nutrea sweet strikes again, I will be so glad when someone comes out with a
>> splenda version, Lee

>Try mixing unsweetened cool-aid with splenda and adding knox unflavored
>gelatin.
>
>And remember please that it's nutra-sweet or aspartame.
>
>A Nutrea is an aquatic rodent. ;-) Related distantly to beavers.

Or even better, instead of using Splenda, which will fake out your
body and still jack your blood sugar around, use Stevia as the
sweetener if you don't mind it's flavor and don't get the after-taste.

I'm one of the lucky ones. I either don't taste the bitterness or have
gotten used to it. Stevia tastes like sugar to me. Exactly like sugar,
and it doesn't even budge my blood sugar in the slightest.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 21, 8:05*am, Jim Elbrecht > wrote:
> "Polly Esther" > wrote:
>
> -snip-
>
> >Here you go - from the Jell-O cookbook

> >1 four serving size Jello lime flavor
> >3/4 cup boiling water ( I'd use whatever juice from draining the pineapple
> >and add water as needed to equal 3/4 cup)
> >1/2 cup cold water
> >ice cubes
> >1 cup thawed CoolWhip
> >1 20 oz can crushed pineapple *drained

> Sounds a bit like a dessert mom used to make with plain gelatin, a can
> of fruit cocktail, some maraschino cherries and whipped cream. * *
>
> She called it Bavarian Cream, but I see those recipes on the net are
> all over the place with ingredients, so I don't know what a 'real'
> Bavarian Cream *might consist of.
>
> We always had it in a bowl that had been carried from Germany by a
> great-grandparent. * I can still see the moment, 50 years ago, when it
> slipped out of my hand as I was putting it away. * *

Sure, but Polly and JeanineAlyse, both being trashy sorts, would go
for the Cool Whip.

> Jim

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 22, 1:30*am, Omelet > wrote:

> A Nutrea is an aquatic rodent. ;-) Related distantly to beavers.

It's spelled nutria.

> --
> Peace, Om

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> "Storrmmee" > wrote:
>
>> nutrea sweet strikes again ...

> And remember please that it's nutra-sweet or aspartame.
>
> A Nutrea is an aquatic rodent. ;-) Related distantly to beavers.

I wonder if nutrea is what I would call muskrat. I know there are some
in my neighborhood because one got caught in my back yard fence a few
years ago. We now have beavers as well. A few more trees came down
in the park near the city hall.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Nutria was Lime Jello & Pineapple

In article >,
Doug Freyburger > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> > "Storrmmee" > wrote:
> >
> >> nutrea sweet strikes again ...

> > And remember please that it's nutra-sweet or aspartame.
> >
> > A Nutrea is an aquatic rodent. ;-) Related distantly to beavers.

> I wonder if nutrea is what I would call muskrat. I know there are some
> in my neighborhood because one got caught in my back yard fence a few
> years ago. We now have beavers as well. A few more trees came down
> in the park near the city hall.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nutria

"The coypu (from the Mapudungun, koypu)[2][3] or nutria (Myocastor
coypus), is a large, herbivorous, semiaquatic rodent and the only member
of the family Myocastoridae."

"Coypu can also be mistaken for another widely dispersed semi-aquatic
rodent that occupies the same wetland habitats, the muskrat."

ObFood: Meat from the Nutria is edible, but nobody wants to eat it.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

splenda doesn't jack my bg levels, its something i tracked closely while
doing sugar level testing for a base line... the stevia does leave an after
taste but its not horrible... I am considering purchasing the plant for my
DF to grow so we can make the liquid ourselves...

Lee
"Landon" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 22 May 2011 01:30:05 -0500, Omelet >
> wrote:
>
>>In article >,
>> "Storrmmee" > wrote:
>>
>>> sugar free jello is wonderful, i loved it until it sent me to the ER....
>>> nutrea sweet strikes again, I will be so glad when someone comes out
>>> with a
>>> splenda version, Lee

>>Try mixing unsweetened cool-aid with splenda and adding knox unflavored
>>gelatin.
>>
>>And remember please that it's nutra-sweet or aspartame.
>>
>>A Nutrea is an aquatic rodent. ;-) Related distantly to beavers.

> Or even better, instead of using Splenda, which will fake out your
> body and still jack your blood sugar around, use Stevia as the
> sweetener if you don't mind it's flavor and don't get the after-taste.
>
> I'm one of the lucky ones. I either don't taste the bitterness or have
> gotten used to it. Stevia tastes like sugar to me. Exactly like sugar,
> and it doesn't even budge my blood sugar in the slightest.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On May 22, 11:03*am, "Storrmmee" > wrote:
> splenda doesn't jack my bg levels, its something i tracked closely while
> doing sugar level testing for a base line... the stevia does leave an after
> taste but its not horrible... I am considering purchasing the plant for my
> DF to grow so we can make the liquid ourselves...
>
> Lee"Landon" > wrote in message

> > On Sun, 22 May 2011 01:30:05 -0500, Omelet >
> > wrote:

> >>Try mixing unsweetened cool-aid with splenda and adding knox unflavored
> >>gelatin.

> >>And remember please that it's nutra-sweet or aspartame.

> >>A Nutrea is an aquatic rodent. ;-) Related distantly to beavers.

> > Or even better, instead of using Splenda, which will fake out your
> > body and still jack your blood sugar around, use Stevia as the
> > sweetener if you don't mind it's flavor and don't get the after-taste.

> > I'm one of the lucky ones. I either don't taste the bitterness or have
> > gotten used to it. Stevia tastes like sugar to me. Exactly like sugar,
> > and it doesn't even budge my blood sugar in the slightest.

The 'new' Stevia's don't have that aftertaste. The one I like most
is made by the Sugar in The Raw people.
Stevia In The Raw....quite good and no bitterness... and no licorice
taste.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bryan" <
Sure, but Polly and JeanineAlyse, both being trashy sorts, would go
for the Cool Whip.

> Jim

--Bryan

We're even worse than trashy sorts. We use fat-free Cool Whip instead of
heavy whipping cream. It's called staying alive. I wondered how long it
would take for this subject to take a hit from someone who's never made a
trip to cardio i.c.u. Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

some had the licorice and some used to have a vanillia, not much bitterness
to me... i looked trieva, sp, but didn't like the corn fillers, Lee

"ImStillMags" > wrote in message
On May 22, 11:03 am, "Storrmmee" > wrote:
> splenda doesn't jack my bg levels, its something i tracked closely while
> doing sugar level testing for a base line... the stevia does leave an
> after
> taste but its not horrible... I am considering purchasing the plant for my
> DF to grow so we can make the liquid ourselves...
>
> Lee"Landon" > wrote in message

> > On Sun, 22 May 2011 01:30:05 -0500, Omelet >
> > wrote:

> >>Try mixing unsweetened cool-aid with splenda and adding knox unflavored
> >>gelatin.

> >>And remember please that it's nutra-sweet or aspartame.

> >>A Nutrea is an aquatic rodent. ;-) Related distantly to beavers.

> > Or even better, instead of using Splenda, which will fake out your
> > body and still jack your blood sugar around, use Stevia as the
> > sweetener if you don't mind it's flavor and don't get the after-taste.

> > I'm one of the lucky ones. I either don't taste the bitterness or have
> > gotten used to it. Stevia tastes like sugar to me. Exactly like sugar,
> > and it doesn't even budge my blood sugar in the slightest.

The 'new' Stevia's don't have that aftertaste. The one I like most
is made by the Sugar in The Raw people.
Stevia In The Raw....quite good and no bitterness... and no licorice
taste.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 22 May 2011 13:03:37 -0500, "Storrmmee"
> wrote:

>splenda doesn't jack my bg levels, its something i tracked closely while
>doing sugar level testing for a base line... the stevia does leave an after
>taste but its not horrible... I am considering purchasing the plant for my
>DF to grow so we can make the liquid ourselves...

Splenda sure jacked up my blood sugar levels. OMG, after trying it
several times, in both short time and long time tests, my blood sugar
was off the charts as badly as using regular sugar would have been.

It got my butt chewed out by the Doc. I thought I was doing good and
his tests showed otherwise.

After switching to Stevia, my sugar count came down where it should
be. I love the stuff! I can have "Sweet" stuff again! Yeah!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

it doesn't mess with my bgl but if i use it even a couple of times in a
seven day time period i don't lose any weight, you aren't the first person i
have heard gets higher bgl when using it, Lee
"Landon" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 22 May 2011 13:03:37 -0500, "Storrmmee"
> > wrote:
>
>>splenda doesn't jack my bg levels, its something i tracked closely while
>>doing sugar level testing for a base line... the stevia does leave an
>>after
>>taste but its not horrible... I am considering purchasing the plant for my
>>DF to grow so we can make the liquid ourselves...

> Splenda sure jacked up my blood sugar levels. OMG, after trying it
> several times, in both short time and long time tests, my blood sugar
> was off the charts as badly as using regular sugar would have been.
>
> It got my butt chewed out by the Doc. I thought I was doing good and
> his tests showed otherwise.
>
> After switching to Stevia, my sugar count came down where it should
> be. I love the stuff! I can have "Sweet" stuff again! Yeah!

Member

Lime Jello & Pineapple is one of my favorite,I really enjoy lot Lime Jello & Pineapple,Whole grain bread dough bread frozen bowtie pesto pasta sauteed shrimp eye round lime jello cream cheese marshmallow pineapple salad rustic pie tomatoes breakfast cheesecake oreo ramano wine red fish raisins couscous avocado stuffed bell pepper cous cous rolls pastry apple turnover.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Kajikit > wrote:
> I'm going to take a wild guess here that the proportions are - 1 can
> crushed pineapple, 1 packet jello, and 1 carton of cool whip. One of
> the ladies at our old church always made a strawberry version for
> potlucks using sugar-free jello. It was surprisingly good.

Hey, Karen! Where've you been?

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
JeanineAlyse > wrote:

> Some time ago I very much enjoyed a lime jello, crushed pineapple,
> cool-whip salad(?) that was refrigerated in a Bundt pan. The woman
> who made it could only tell me those three ingredients, but not the
> measurements of any, nor the directions. I've googled to no
> convincing avail, I do have all the ingredients here, so can someone
> here tell me the how to make?
> Thanks, Picky

Hey, Miss Jeanine! I did a quick look on Foodily.com and it returned
this,
<http://www.foodily.com/s/lime-jell-o...hed-pineapple-
no-(cottage-cheese)>
Be sure to use the red slider bar next to the red Feedback to see more
than the three recipes on the page.
--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella
"Always in a jam, never in a stew; sometimes in a pickle."
Pepparkakor particulars posted 11-29-2010;
http://web.me.com/barbschaller

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Dan Abel > wrote:

> In article >,
> Doug Freyburger > wrote:
>
> > Omelet wrote:

> > > And remember please that it's nutra-sweet or aspartame.
> > >
> > > A Nutrea is an aquatic rodent. ;-) Related distantly to beavers.

> > I wonder if nutrea is what I would call muskrat. I know there are some
> > in my neighborhood because one got caught in my back yard fence a few
> > years ago. We now have beavers as well. A few more trees came down
> > in the park near the city hall.

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nutria
>
> "The coypu (from the Mapudungun, koypu)[2][3] or nutria (Myocastor
> coypus), is a large, herbivorous, semiaquatic rodent and the only member
> of the family Myocastoridae."
>
> "Coypu can also be mistaken for another widely dispersed semi-aquatic
> rodent that occupies the same wetland habitats, the muskrat."
>
> ObFood: Meat from the Nutria is edible, but nobody wants to eat it.

How in hell did this go from a Jell-O salad to rodents?

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella
"Always in a jam, never in a stew; sometimes in a pickle."
Pepparkakor particulars posted 11-29-2010;
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Posted to rec.food.cooking

my fault, i misspelled nutra crap whilst wining about being allergic, Lee