Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Okay Sky-all about Avocados, esp. from Hawaii

> Heck, I didn't even know there were other avocado varieties
>other than Haas & Calvado. Sky

I had to ask a friend (Ken Love) who knows everything about Hawaiian
fruit and here is what he said about Calvo (The California PAC that
keeps Hawaii's avocados from going anywhere!): "They do to the active
marketing in Calif. where they spend over $1.4 million per year to
market Hass from Calif. Mexico and Chile -- According to the Mexican
D of Ag, Calif growers own 68% of the Mex fields and some 42% of the
Chilean fields. (This is what I was told 3 years ago)
Calvo is only the marketing company not a type of avocado. -- There
are 1411 types that were listed in a data base at UC Riverside, in CA.
We have over 200 named types in Kona alone with hundreds of other
seedlings and types on other islands."
*********
Here is an easy place to see lots of different Hawaiian avocados
http://www.hawaiifruit.net/AVOVAR/index.html

And here is Ken Love's fabulous poster of Hawaii's avocados! WARNING!
It is 39 inches by 27, so it is hard to see on a computer, but it is
beautiful- so if you want one to decorate your kitchen wall by placing
it in a frame: get one here
http://www.hawaiifruit.net/Avocado.pdf
I am sure Ken would be happy to send you one for a small sum. The guy
works extremely hard to promote Hawaii's abundant fruit. He's an
angel.

FYI, now we have Sharwil avocados dropping from our tree, and in the
winter, we have super-delicious Kahaluu Avocados.

Okay, there you go. We live in avocado heaven.

aloha,
Cea
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 2 Aug 2011 19:58:34 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Tue, 02 Aug 2011 14:09:01 -1000, pure kona wrote:
>
>> I had to ask a friend (Ken Love) who knows everything about Hawaiian
>> fruit and here is what he said about Calvo (The California PAC that
>> keeps Hawaii's avocados from going anywhere!)

>This is what's wrong with America. Too many lobbies and back
>scratching of greedy politicians. And it'll only get worse.
>
>-sw

Absolutely. In this case, keeping out US avocados from Hawaii, but
buying avocados from Mexico and Chile. And Hawaii's, I believe, are
superior.

aloha,
Cea
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

On 8/2/2011 7:09 PM, pure kona wrote:
>> Heck, I didn't even know there were other avocado varieties
>> other than Haas& Calvado. Sky

> I had to ask a friend (Ken Love) who knows everything about Hawaiian
> fruit and here is what he said about Calvo (The California PAC that
> keeps Hawaii's avocados from going anywhere!): "They do to the active
> marketing in Calif. where they spend over $1.4 million per year to
> market Hass from Calif. Mexico and Chile -- According to the Mexican
> D of Ag, Calif growers own 68% of the Mex fields and some 42% of the
> Chilean fields. (This is what I was told 3 years ago)
> Calvo is only the marketing company not a type of avocado. -- There
> are 1411 types that were listed in a data base at UC Riverside, in CA.
> We have over 200 named types in Kona alone with hundreds of other
> seedlings and types on other islands."
> *********
> Here is an easy place to see lots of different Hawaiian avocados
> http://www.hawaiifruit.net/AVOVAR/index.html
>
> And here is Ken Love's fabulous poster of Hawaii's avocados! WARNING!
> It is 39 inches by 27, so it is hard to see on a computer, but it is
> beautiful- so if you want one to decorate your kitchen wall by placing
> it in a frame: get one here
> http://www.hawaiifruit.net/Avocado.pdf
> I am sure Ken would be happy to send you one for a small sum. The guy
> works extremely hard to promote Hawaii's abundant fruit. He's an
> angel.
>
> FYI, now we have Sharwil avocados dropping from our tree, and in the
> winter, we have super-delicious Kahaluu Avocados.
>
> Okay, there you go. We live in avocado heaven.

Thanks for the information about avocados and the links. I never knew
there were so many different varieties! That poster is really kewl,
too! Too bad they don't grow in the upper midwest ;/ That is, unless
there's a handy greenhouse to survive the winter!

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/2/2011 2:09 PM, pure kona wrote:
>> Heck, I didn't even know there were other avocado varieties
>> other than Haas& Calvado. Sky

> I had to ask a friend (Ken Love) who knows everything about Hawaiian
> fruit and here is what he said about Calvo (The California PAC that
> keeps Hawaii's avocados from going anywhere!): "They do to the active
> marketing in Calif. where they spend over $1.4 million per year to
> market Hass from Calif. Mexico and Chile -- According to the Mexican
> D of Ag, Calif growers own 68% of the Mex fields and some 42% of the
> Chilean fields. (This is what I was told 3 years ago)
> Calvo is only the marketing company not a type of avocado. -- There
> are 1411 types that were listed in a data base at UC Riverside, in CA.
> We have over 200 named types in Kona alone with hundreds of other
> seedlings and types on other islands."
> *********
> Here is an easy place to see lots of different Hawaiian avocados
> http://www.hawaiifruit.net/AVOVAR/index.html
>
> And here is Ken Love's fabulous poster of Hawaii's avocados! WARNING!
> It is 39 inches by 27, so it is hard to see on a computer, but it is
> beautiful- so if you want one to decorate your kitchen wall by placing
> it in a frame: get one here
> http://www.hawaiifruit.net/Avocado.pdf
> I am sure Ken would be happy to send you one for a small sum. The guy
> works extremely hard to promote Hawaii's abundant fruit. He's an
> angel.
>
> FYI, now we have Sharwil avocados dropping from our tree, and in the
> winter, we have super-delicious Kahaluu Avocados.
>
> Okay, there you go. We live in avocado heaven.

I get big and beautiful avocados that people bring to this office that
they grow in their yard. Some are green and some are black and some are
round and some are pear shaped. A lot of the locals here call it a
"pear" which is kind of strange but whatever they call it, it's
appreciated greatly.

When I go into the Safeway, the ones they sell are so pitiful looking
that I'd have to be pretty desperate to ever purchase a store fruit.

> aloha,
> Cea

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 03 Aug 2011 00:57:40 -0700, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

> On Tue, 02 Aug 2011 21:45:49 -1000, dsi1 > wrote:
>
> >A lot of the locals here call it a
> >"pear" which is kind of strange but whatever they call it, it's
> >appreciated greatly.

> Years and years and years ago, I think avocados used to be called
> Alligator pears. I remember reading about that from James Beard and
> other cooks from his era.

Kiwis had a different original name too,,,, it all boils down to
marketing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

My boys started an avocado plant from the pit this summer. They
pushed toothpicks around the middle and set it on top of a jar of
water. The pit was dried and cracked by the time we started it, so I
wasn't feeling too confident. A few weeks later, we have a long white
root growing from the bottom and a tiny green leaf inside a large
crack in the pit.

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 03 Aug 2011 08:07:22 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Wed, 03 Aug 2011 00:57:40 -0700, Christine Dabney
> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 02 Aug 2011 21:45:49 -1000, dsi1 > wrote:
>>
>> >A lot of the locals here call it a
>> >"pear" which is kind of strange but whatever they call it, it's
>> >appreciated greatly.

>> Years and years and years ago, I think avocados used to be called
>> Alligator pears. I remember reading about that from James Beard and
>> other cooks from his era.

They're still called alligator pears by many people, especially in
areas where they originated in Central America. The word 'avocado'
comes from the Mexican Spanish aguacate which in turn comes from the
Nahuatl word ahuácatl (scrotum, a reference to the shape of the
fruit). BTW, there is no such thing as a CA or a FL avocado unless
one is interested in where they were grown... avocados of all types
are grown in several places around the world... avocado is neither
native to CA or FL. In markets they're not typically individually
labeled with where grown. Avocados are sometimes labeled by grower,
like bananas are labeled Chiquita, and citrus is labeled Tropicana,
Sunkist, etc. Banana and citrus are native to southeast Asia

>Kiwis had a different original name too,,,, it all boils down to
>marketing.

Kiwi was always kiwi (a flightless bird). It's kiwifruit that had a
different name (Chinese gooseberry).
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/2/2011 9:57 PM, Christine Dabney wrote:
> On Tue, 02 Aug 2011 21:45:49 -1000, > wrote:
>
>> A lot of the locals here call it a
>> "pear" which is kind of strange but whatever they call it, it's
>> appreciated greatly.

> Years and years and years ago, I think avocados used to be called
> Alligator pears. I remember reading about that from James Beard and
> other cooks from his era.
>
> Christine

Thanks for the info. I had one last night. I like how the skin separates
from the inside. The skin is quite beautiful and in fact, does look like
animal leather - maybe even reptile. :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tara wrote:

>My boys started an avocado plant from the pit this summer. They
>pushed toothpicks around the middle and set it on top of a jar of
>water. The pit was dried and cracked by the time we started it, so I
>wasn't feeling too confident. A few weeks later, we have a long white
>root growing from the bottom and a tiny green leaf inside a large
>crack in the pit.

Holy Guacamole... show me your Tequillas! LOL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/3/2011 12:43 PM, Tara wrote:
> My boys started an avocado plant from the pit this summer. They
> pushed toothpicks around the middle and set it on top of a jar of
> water. The pit was dried and cracked by the time we started it, so I
> wasn't feeling too confident. A few weeks later, we have a long white
> root growing from the bottom and a tiny green leaf inside a large
> crack in the pit.
>
> Tara

It is wonderful for children to work with plants and see them grow. It
is fun and educational.

Becca

USDA to let Hawaii ship avocados to mainland US pure kona[_2_] General Cooking 48 15-09-2013 07:36 PM
Avocados Damsel General Cooking 8 30-05-2009 07:25 PM
BUM avocados. Andy[_2_] General Cooking 2 19-02-2007 07:55 PM
Avocados Connie TenClay Preserving 2 04-10-2004 10:18 PM
Avocados ScratchMonkey General Cooking 7 08-10-2003 07:30 AM