Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default yes Virginia you can spatchcock a turkey with a chef's knife

http://ftupet.com/~tert/img/misc/mis...isc/turkey.JPG

it helps if it's a 13.5 pounder, and it also helps if you have some violent
tendencies to work out

overall not recommended

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 22 Nov 2012 05:59:29 +0000 (UTC), tert in seattle wrote:
>
>> http://ftupet.com/~tert/img/misc/mis...isc/turkey.JPG
>>
>> it helps if it's a 13.5 pounder, and it also helps if you have some
>> violent
>> tendencies to work out

> Uh, that's not spatchcocked.

No, it's not.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/22/2012 12:50 AM, Cheri wrote:
> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>> On Thu, 22 Nov 2012 05:59:29 +0000 (UTC), tert in seattle wrote:
>>
>>> http://ftupet.com/~tert/img/misc/mis...isc/turkey.JPG
>>>
>>> it helps if it's a 13.5 pounder, and it also helps if you have some
>>> violent
>>> tendencies to work out

>> Uh, that's not spatchcocked.

> No, it's not.

Well... it looks somewhat of a mess, but cook it right and no one will
know the difference.

You gave it a good try and I hope you have a wonderful dinner.

George L
Posted to rec.food.cooking

tert in seattle wrote:

>http://ftupet.com/~tert/img/misc/mis...isc/turkey.JPG
>
>it helps if it's a 13.5 pounder, and it also helps if you have some violent
>tendencies to work out

That's not spatchcocked... not even close... that's splathacked.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 22 Nov 2012 07:38:35 -0600, George Leppla
> wrote:

>On 11/22/2012 12:50 AM, Cheri wrote:

>>> Uh, that's not spatchcocked.

>> No, it's not.

>Well... it looks somewhat of a mess, but cook it right and no one will
>know the difference.

Actually it's sort of ruined, it's halved so won't cook evenly unless
it's at least quartered, better eighthed. For spatchcocked I slice
out the back bone, remove the rib bones, and flatten... I've seen many
who slice through the breast bone, that is so wrong. I don't think a
Thanksgiving holiday bird should be spatchcocked anyway.

Mine just before it went into the oven:
http://i47.tinypic.com/34rvkew.jpg
The nicest turkey I ever bought, perfectly clean inside and out and no
scars. It's the Grand Union store brand "Best Yet", paid $7.12 for a
15 1/2 pounder. I don't do the giblets, crows already ate those...
this time they got the neck too. I'm doing a lazy man's dinner, no
kasha varnishkas either, gonna make rice and beans pilaf instead,
gonna start it shortly.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Nov 2012 07:38:35 -0600, George Leppla
> wrote:

>>> No, it's not.

>>Well... it looks somewhat of a mess, but cook it right and no one will
>>know the difference.

> Actually it's sort of ruined, it's halved so won't cook evenly unless
> it's at least quartered, better eighthed. For spatchcocked I slice
> out the back bone, remove the rib bones, and flatten... I've seen many
> who slice through the breast bone, that is so wrong. I don't think a
> Thanksgiving holiday bird should be spatchcocked anyway.
>
> Mine just before it went into the oven:
> http://i47.tinypic.com/34rvkew.jpg
> The nicest turkey I ever bought, perfectly clean inside and out and no
> scars. It's the Grand Union store brand "Best Yet", paid $7.12 for a
> 15 1/2 pounder. I don't do the giblets, crows already ate those...
> this time they got the neck too. I'm doing a lazy man's dinner, no
> kasha varnishkas either, gonna make rice and beans pilaf instead,
> gonna start it shortly.

I wanted it in half anyway -- can only fit half a turkey on my grill:

http://www.ftupet.com/upload/t.jpg

it cooked evenly just fine, the breast is moist and tender

I used mesquite which to me is better than hickory for poultry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote:
> tert in seattle wrote:
>>
>>http://ftupet.com/~tert/img/misc/mis...isc/turkey.JPG
>>
>>it helps if it's a 13.5 pounder, and it also helps if you have some violent
>>tendencies to work out

> That's not spatchcocked... not even close... that's splathacked.

look at the way it's posed though - it looks like a (headless, footless,
featherless...) turkey was running down the street and ran through one
of those giant vertically oriented circular saws

happy THanksgiving

Posted to rec.food.cooking

George Leppla wrote:
> On 11/22/2012 12:50 AM, Cheri wrote:

>>> Uh, that's not spatchcocked.

>> No, it's not.

> Well... it looks somewhat of a mess, but cook it right and no one will
> know the difference.
>
> You gave it a good try and I hope you have a wonderful dinner.
>
> George L

thanks George

it did turn out better than I expected - my five-year-old who loves bbq
thanked me for the turkey, and really his opinion is the only one that
matters

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 22 Nov 2012 22:19:24 +0000 (UTC), tert in seattle
> wrote:

>Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> On Thu, 22 Nov 2012 07:38:35 -0600, George Leppla
> wrote:

>>>Well... it looks somewhat of a mess, but cook it right and no one will
>>>know the difference.

>> Actually it's sort of ruined, it's halved so won't cook evenly unless
>> it's at least quartered, better eighthed. For spatchcocked I slice
>> out the back bone, remove the rib bones, and flatten... I've seen many
>> who slice through the breast bone, that is so wrong. I don't think a
>> Thanksgiving holiday bird should be spatchcocked anyway.
>>
>> Mine just before it went into the oven:
>> http://i47.tinypic.com/34rvkew.jpg
>> The nicest turkey I ever bought, perfectly clean inside and out and no
>> scars. It's the Grand Union store brand "Best Yet", paid $7.12 for a
>> 15 1/2 pounder. I don't do the giblets, crows already ate those...
>> this time they got the neck too. I'm doing a lazy man's dinner, no
>> kasha varnishkas either, gonna make rice and beans pilaf instead,
>> gonna start it shortly.

>I wanted it in half anyway -- can only fit half a turkey on my grill:
>
>http://www.ftupet.com/upload/t.jpg
>
>it cooked evenly just fine, the breast is moist and tender
>
>I used mesquite which to me is better than hickory for poultry

Hmm, any other time it would be fine, I guess, but for Thanksgiving it
sure looks grotesque.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/22/2012 12:00 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> Mine just before it went into the oven:
> http://i47.tinypic.com/34rvkew.jpg
> The nicest turkey I ever bought, perfectly clean inside and out and no
> scars. It's the Grand Union store brand "Best Yet", paid $7.12 for a
> 15 1/2 pounder. I don't do the giblets, crows already ate those...
> this time they got the neck too. I'm doing a lazy man's dinner, no
> kasha varnishkas either, gonna make rice and beans pilaf instead,
> gonna start it shortly.

Looks good! Can you cook it with that plastic ring thing on the legs
though? Awesome that you got that for 53 cents a pound? Wow.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/22/2012 5:19 PM, tert in seattle wrote:

> I wanted it in half anyway -- can only fit half a turkey on my grill:
>
> http://www.ftupet.com/upload/t.jpg
>
> it cooked evenly just fine, the breast is moist and tender
>
> I used mesquite which to me is better than hickory for poultry

Looks pretty good! I've never grilled a turkey so I'd have to take your
word for halving it. I hope you enjoyed it!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 22 Nov 2012 22:20:57 +0000 (UTC), tert in seattle
> wrote:
snip
>look at the way it's posed though - it looks like a (headless, footless,
>featherless...) turkey was running down the street and ran through one
>of those giant vertically oriented circular saws

snip
you got many of those around your place???
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheryl wrote:
>Brooklyn1 wrote:
>
>> Mine just before it went into the oven:
>> http://i47.tinypic.com/34rvkew.jpg
>> The nicest turkey I ever bought, perfectly clean inside and out and no
>> scars. It's the Grand Union store brand "Best Yet", paid $7.12 for a
>> 15 1/2 pounder. I don't do the giblets, crows already ate those...
>> this time they got the neck too. I'm doing a lazy man's dinner, no
>> kasha varnishkas either, gonna make rice and beans pilaf instead,
>> gonna start it shortly.
>>

>Looks good! Can you cook it with that plastic ring thing on the legs
>though?

That's the purpose of that plastic thing, to hold the legs together,
those Dem gals should be fitted with one for birth control. LOL
I think it's actually nylon or delrin, same material inside your water
faucets, they used to be made of metal, like a coat hanger, and while
wrestling them they could easily puncture ones hand. These plastic
ones are a big improvement.

>Awesome that you got that for 53 cents a pound? Wow.

It was 49¢/lb, it was a little heavier than 15 1/2 lb, I rounded it
off. Here it is right from the oven:
http://i48.tinypic.com/2jed5qh.jpg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/22/2012 8:10 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

>> Looks good! Can you cook it with that plastic ring thing on the legs
>> >though?

> That's the purpose of that plastic thing, to hold the legs together,
> those Dem gals should be fitted with one for birth control. LOL
> I think it's actually nylon or delrin, same material inside your water
> faucets, they used to be made of metal, like a coat hanger, and while
> wrestling them they could easily puncture ones hand. These plastic
> ones are a big improvement.
>
>> >Awesome that you got that for 53 cents a pound? Wow.

> It was 49¢/lb, it was a little heavier than 15 1/2 lb, I rounded it
> off. Here it is right from the oven:
> http://i48.tinypic.com/2jed5qh.jpg

It does look good, but one of the things that happen when you use that
plastic leg retainer is that you get a lot of juices that pool up inside
the bird... and they aren't always cooked through, even when the flesh is.

We were talking about this the other day and decided that the next time
we roast a turkey, I am going to leave the plastic retainer on but cut
out the spine. The retainer and the V-shaped turkey rack will keep the
bird together, but the juices will be able to run out into the pan and
cook to be used for gravy.

And gravy is a good thing!

George L

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/22/2012 9:10 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

>> Looksgood! Can you cook it with that plastic ring thing on the legs
>> >though?

> That's the purpose of that plastic thing, to hold the legs together,
> those Dem gals should be fitted with one for birth control. LOL
> I think it's actually nylon or delrin, same material inside your water
> faucets, they used to be made of metal, like a coat hanger, and while
> wrestling them they could easily puncture ones hand. These plastic
> ones are a big improvement.
>
>> >Awesome that you got that for 53 cents a pound? Wow.

> It was 49¢/lb, it was a little heavier than 15 1/2 lb, I rounded it
> off. Here it is right from the oven:
> http://i48.tinypic.com/2jed5qh.jpg

You and the cats had quite a feast on that bird. How did Newt like it?
I know, silly question.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/23/2012 8:44 AM, George Leppla wrote:
> On 11/22/2012 8:10 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>
>>> Looks good! Can you cook it with that plastic ring thing on the legs

>> That's the purpose of that plastic thing, to hold the legs together,
>> those Dem gals should be fitted with one for birth control. LOL
>> I think it's actually nylon or delrin, same material inside your water
>> faucets, they used to be made of metal, like a coat hanger, and while
>> wrestling them they could easily puncture ones hand. These plastic
>> ones are a big improvement.

>> It was 49¢/lb, it was a little heavier than 15 1/2 lb, I rounded it
>> off. Here it is right from the oven:
>> http://i48.tinypic.com/2jed5qh.jpg

> It does look good, but one of the things that happen when you use that
> plastic leg retainer is that you get a lot of juices that pool up inside
> the bird... and they aren't always cooked through, even when the flesh is.
>
> We were talking about this the other day and decided that the next time
> we roast a turkey, I am going to leave the plastic retainer on but cut
> out the spine. The retainer and the V-shaped turkey rack will keep the
> bird together, but the juices will be able to run out into the pan and
> cook to be used for gravy.
>
> And gravy is a good thing!

Sure is. I'm making another batch of gravy right now with the drippings
I didn't use yesterday. This part has stuffing in it that leaked out of
the bird while it cooked. Should be interesting.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheryl wrote:
> On 11/22/2012 5:19 PM, tert in seattle wrote:
>
>> I wanted it in half anyway -- can only fit half a turkey on my grill:
>>
>> http://www.ftupet.com/upload/t.jpg
>>
>> it cooked evenly just fine, the breast is moist and tender
>>
>> I used mesquite which to me is better than hickory for poultry

> Looks pretty good! I've never grilled a turkey so I'd have to take your
> word for halving it. I hope you enjoyed it!

thanks! still enjoying it...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 23 Nov 2012 07:44:00 -0600, George Leppla
> wrote:

>On 11/22/2012 8:10 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>
>>> Looks good! Can you cook it with that plastic ring thing on the legs

>> That's the purpose of that plastic thing, to hold the legs together,
>> those Dem gals should be fitted with one for birth control. LOL
>> I think it's actually nylon or delrin, same material inside your water
>> faucets, they used to be made of metal, like a coat hanger, and while
>> wrestling them they could easily puncture ones hand. These plastic
>> ones are a big improvement.

>> It was 49¢/lb, it was a little heavier than 15 1/2 lb, I rounded it
>> off. Here it is right from the oven:
>> http://i48.tinypic.com/2jed5qh.jpg

>It does look good, but one of the things that happen when you use that
>plastic leg retainer is that you get a lot of juices that pool up inside
>the bird... and they aren't always cooked through, even when the flesh is.
>
>We were talking about this the other day and decided that the next time
>we roast a turkey, I am going to leave the plastic retainer on but cut
>out the spine. The retainer and the V-shaped turkey rack will keep the
>bird together, but the juices will be able to run out into the pan and
>cook to be used for gravy.
>
>And gravy is a good thing!
>
>George L

You'll end up with a very dry turkey, most of that juice is reabsorbed
while the bird rests. And you wouldn't have more juices in the pan,
they will spread out over all that hot surface and quickly evaporate
same as if they dripped into a hot frying pan... what you'll have in
the pan is fat. If you want to more easily make good gravy put about
a quarter inch of water in the pan from the onset. The most important
part of having a juicy turkey is not to let all its juices escape.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/23/2012 10:25 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Nov 2012 07:44:00 -0600, George Leppla
> > wrote:

>>> That's the purpose of that plastic thing, to hold the legs together,
>>> those Dem gals should be fitted with one for birth control. LOL
>>> I think it's actually nylon or delrin, same material inside your water
>>> faucets, they used to be made of metal, like a coat hanger, and while
>>> wrestling them they could easily puncture ones hand. These plastic
>>> ones are a big improvement.

>>> It was 49¢/lb, it was a little heavier than 15 1/2 lb, I rounded it
>>> off. Here it is right from the oven:
>>> http://i48.tinypic.com/2jed5qh.jpg

>> It does look good, but one of the things that happen when you use that
>> plastic leg retainer is that you get a lot of juices that pool up inside
>> the bird... and they aren't always cooked through, even when the flesh is.
>>
>> We were talking about this the other day and decided that the next time
>> we roast a turkey, I am going to leave the plastic retainer on but cut
>> out the spine. The retainer and the V-shaped turkey rack will keep the
>> bird together, but the juices will be able to run out into the pan and
>> cook to be used for gravy.
>>
>> And gravy is a good thing!
>>
>> George L

> You'll end up with a very dry turkey, most of that juice is reabsorbed
> while the bird rests. And you wouldn't have more juices in the pan,
> they will spread out over all that hot surface and quickly evaporate
> same as if they dripped into a hot frying pan... what you'll have in
> the pan is fat. If you want to more easily make good gravy put about
> a quarter inch of water in the pan from the onset. The most important
> part of having a juicy turkey is not to let all its juices escape.

I agree with having water in the pan. When I roast a turkey, I put the
neck and giblets in a sauce pan with coarsely chopped onions and a bit
of celery and some peppe.... cover with water and simmer. That water
gets added to the turkey pan as needed and if any is left, gets added to
de-glaze the pan to make the gravy.

I'm not sure about the liquid inside the turkey being absorbed back into
the meat. If you look at the bottom of the turkey cavity, you have the
spine and ribs, etc... very little meat to support any capillary action
that would get moisture back into the breast. But I may try roasting
the bird upside down for the first half of the roasting time and see
what happens.

Becca sometimes injects the bird with a mixture of butter and
herbs/spices and that may be more than enough to keep everything juicy.

We'll try this at Christmas and report back.

George L

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/23/2012 10:25 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Nov 2012 07:44:00 -0600, George Leppla
> > wrote:

>>> That's the purpose of that plastic thing, to hold the legs together,
>>> those Dem gals should be fitted with one for birth control. LOL
>>> I think it's actually nylon or delrin, same material inside your water
>>> faucets, they used to be made of metal, like a coat hanger, and while
>>> wrestling them they could easily puncture ones hand. These plastic
>>> ones are a big improvement.

>>> It was 49¢/lb, it was a little heavier than 15 1/2 lb, I rounded it
>>> off. Here it is right from the oven:
>>> http://i48.tinypic.com/2jed5qh.jpg

>> It does look good, but one of the things that happen when you use that
>> plastic leg retainer is that you get a lot of juices that pool up inside
>> the bird... and they aren't always cooked through, even when the flesh is.
>>
>> We were talking about this the other day and decided that the next time
>> we roast a turkey, I am going to leave the plastic retainer on but cut
>> out the spine. The retainer and the V-shaped turkey rack will keep the
>> bird together, but the juices will be able to run out into the pan and
>> cook to be used for gravy.
>>
>> And gravy is a good thing!
>>
>> George L

> You'll end up with a very dry turkey, most of that juice is reabsorbed
> while the bird rests. And you wouldn't have more juices in the pan,
> they will spread out over all that hot surface and quickly evaporate
> same as if they dripped into a hot frying pan... what you'll have in
> the pan is fat. If you want to more easily make good gravy put about
> a quarter inch of water in the pan from the onset. The most important
> part of having a juicy turkey is not to let all its juices escape.

I agree with having water in the pan. When I roast a turkey, I put the
neck and giblets in a sauce pan with coarsely chopped onions and a bit
of celery and some peppe.... cover with water and simmer. That water
gets added to the turkey pan as needed and if any is left, gets added to
de-glaze the pan to make the gravy.

I'm not sure about the liquid inside the turkey being absorbed back into
the meat. If you look at the bottom of the turkey cavity, you have the
spine and ribs, etc... very little meat to support any capillary action
that would get moisture back into the breast. But I may try roasting
the bird upside down for the first half of the roasting time and see
what happens.

Becca sometimes injects the bird with a mixture of butter and
herbs/spices and that may be more than enough to keep everything juicy.

We'll try this at Christmas and report back.

George L

Posted to rec.food.cooking

George Leppla wrote:

> But I may try roasting
> the bird upside down for the first half of the roasting time and see
> what happens.

I'm doing that today for the first time. Turkey just went into the oven.
Time with stuffing is approx 4 hours. After 2 hours, I'll turn it over to
finish.

Gary
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 23 Nov 2012 21:03:54 -0500, Cheryl >
wrote:

>On 11/22/2012 9:10 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>
>>> Looksgood! Can you cook it with that plastic ring thing on the legs

>> That's the purpose of that plastic thing, to hold the legs together,
>> those Dem gals should be fitted with one for birth control. LOL
>> I think it's actually nylon or delrin, same material inside your water
>> faucets, they used to be made of metal, like a coat hanger, and while
>> wrestling them they could easily puncture ones hand. These plastic
>> ones are a big improvement.

>> It was 49¢/lb, it was a little heavier than 15 1/2 lb, I rounded it
>> off. Here it is right from the oven:
>> http://i48.tinypic.com/2jed5qh.jpg

>You and the cats had quite a feast on that bird. How did Newt like it?
> I know, silly question.

Newt eats very well, he cleans his dish. But he's still healing and
hurting so I let him be. This is going to take a while before he can
be introduced to the other cats.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 24 Nov 2012 07:30:55 -0600, George Leppla
> wrote:

>I'm not sure about the liquid inside the turkey being absorbed back into
>the meat. If you look at the bottom of the turkey cavity, you have the
>spine and ribs, etc... very little meat to support any capillary action
>that would get moisture back into the breast.

Most of that liquid is indeed reabsorbed... that's the only reason to
rest any kind of meat... as meat cools is sucks up the available
moisture. Had I taken a picture 15 minutes later you'd not see any
liquid... I didn't take the second picture because I foolishly assumed
that people here had roasted poultry before.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/24/2012 8:33 AM, George Leppla wrote:

> I agree with having water in the pan. When I roast a turkey, I put the
> neck and giblets in a sauce pan with coarsely chopped onions and a bit
> of celery and some peppe.... cover with water and simmer. That water
> gets added to the turkey pan as needed and if any is left, gets added to
> de-glaze the pan to make the gravy.

I didn't put any water into the pan with my dry brine ~13 lb turkey. I
read about doing that later, but by the time I read that, there were so
many drippings already that I don't think it needed water. At that
point I guess it would just add more humidity but there was plenty of
water that dripped out of the turkey during cooking. I could only tell
because I poured it all into a separating cup. So I guess my vote is
that water doesn't need to go into the pan at the start of roasting.

> I'm not sure about the liquid inside the turkey being absorbed back into
> the meat. If you look at the bottom of the turkey cavity, you have the
> spine and ribs, etc... very little meat to support any capillary action
> that would get moisture back into the breast. But I may try roasting
> the bird upside down for the first half of the roasting time and see
> what happens.

If upside down is breast down, that's how I did it. The way my mom
always did. I just flip it over for the last half hour.

> Becca sometimes injects the bird with a mixture of butter and
> herbs/spices and that may be more than enough to keep everything juicy.
>
> We'll try this at Christmas and report back.

Looking forward to it!

Looking for chef's knife recommendations spamtrap1888 General Cooking 90 06-12-2011 12:05 PM
Spatchcock a turkey Janet Bostwick General Cooking 18 23-11-2011 05:56 AM
chef's knife elaine General Cooking 6 20-11-2004 06:43 AM
World's Best Chef Knife? Fred Cooking Equipment 16 02-09-2004 05:18 PM
Chef's knife question scyld Preserving 5 15-03-2004 04:00 PM