Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Sig. Stamps (WAS: Charities)

On 2/21/2013 8:59 AM, James Silverton wrote:

> I have an ink stamp; they don't cost much, last for a long time and
> don't have me looking for those tacky stickers.
>
> --

ink stamps: Not related to charities, but my mother used to bemoan
the fact her handwriting had gotten so bad her signature was sometimes
almost illegible. After my dad died I drove her to the lawyer's office
to sign some papers. She made the same comment. I suggested she have a
signature stamp made. She asked is that legal? The lawyer said of
course it's legal.

People get checks like that all the time. Before the days of direct
deposit you can be darn sure the head of a large company wasn't
personally signing everyones' paycheck. They had a machine for that.
Sig. stamps if it was a smaller company.

I may go the signature stamp route myself. I type much more than I
write so my handwriting is starting to get a little sloppy.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Charities

On 2/21/2013 8:56 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 20/02/2013 7:43 PM, sf wrote:
>

>> You obviously DO care. Grow a pair and kill me here - even better,
>> try never nymshifting. I know you can't do it because you have
>> absolutely ZERO will power, so flushing you out is as easy as shooting
>> fish in a barrel.

> You should know by now that he lives for the attention and that he gets
> that from your your responses. Kill files can be a good thing if you
> don't want to be faced with temptation to stoop to his level, but you
> have to learn to try to ignore that same idiot under his aliases. You
> don't even need to bother filtering the new names because the pathetic
> fool will have a new one by the time the other one is in your filter.

I was skimming this very quickly, you wrote "have a new one by the
time". For a second my eyes saw "have to *buy* a new one"! Now that
would be funny, if someone had to buy/pay for a new nym each time

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 21/02/2013 9:42 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 2/21/2013 8:56 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 20/02/2013 7:43 PM, sf wrote:
>>

>>> You obviously DO care. Grow a pair and kill me here - even better,
>>> try never nymshifting. I know you can't do it because you have
>>> absolutely ZERO will power, so flushing you out is as easy as shooting
>>> fish in a barrel.

>> You should know by now that he lives for the attention and that he gets
>> that from your your responses. Kill files can be a good thing if you
>> don't want to be faced with temptation to stoop to his level, but you
>> have to learn to try to ignore that same idiot under his aliases. You
>> don't even need to bother filtering the new names because the pathetic
>> fool will have a new one by the time the other one is in your filter.
>>

> I was skimming this very quickly, you wrote "have a new one by the
> time". For a second my eyes saw "have to *buy* a new one"! Now that
> would be funny, if someone had to buy/pay for a new nym each time

LOL thinking of one idiot who posts in can.politics who I started
filtering last year. She keeps nymshifting and I keep putting the new
names in the filter. Using TB I just click on the name and opt to create
a filter from the name. I could delete the old names but decided to
leave them there just to see how many times she will change. She is
already up to 35.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 21/02/2013 9:42 AM, jmcquown wrote:

>>> You should know by now that he lives for the attention and that he gets
>>> that from your your responses. Kill files can be a good thing if you
>>> don't want to be faced with temptation to stoop to his level, but you
>>> have to learn to try to ignore that same idiot under his aliases. You
>>> don't even need to bother filtering the new names because the pathetic
>>> fool will have a new one by the time the other one is in your filter.
>>>

>> I was skimming this very quickly, you wrote "have a new one by the
>> time". For a second my eyes saw "have to *buy* a new one"! Now that
>> would be funny, if someone had to buy/pay for a new nym each time
>>

> LOL thinking of one idiot who posts in can.politics who I started
> filtering last year. She keeps nymshifting and I keep putting the new
> names in the filter. Using TB I just click on the name and opt to create a
> filter from the name. I could delete the old names but decided to leave
> them there just to see how many times she will change. She is already up
> to 35.

There's a Dutchman on a music group who is well into double-digits as well.
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/21/2013 8:20 AM, jmcquown wrote:

> If they (presumeably the doctor's you mentioned upthread) can't figure
> out which is which it's time to change doctors.

Really, it's a return address label, not a What's in the envelope label.
They open it and deal with what's inside it.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 21/02/2013 11:24 AM, graham wrote:

>> LOL thinking of one idiot who posts in can.politics who I started
>> filtering last year. She keeps nymshifting and I keep putting the new
>> names in the filter. Using TB I just click on the name and opt to create a
>> filter from the name. I could delete the old names but decided to leave
>> them there just to see how many times she will change. She is already up
>> to 35.
>>

> There's a Dutchman on a music group who is well into double-digits as well.
> Graham

Can you imagine any normal person going to such efforts? That is well
past the point where you have accepted the sad truth that you are a
complete loser.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 21 Feb 2013 09:33:19 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 2/21/2013 8:59 AM, James Silverton wrote:
>>>

>> I have an ink stamp; they don't cost much, last for a long time and
>> don't have me looking for those tacky stickers.
>>
>> --

> ink stamps: Not related to charities, but my mother used to bemoan
>the fact her handwriting had gotten so bad her signature was sometimes
>almost illegible. After my dad died I drove her to the lawyer's office
>to sign some papers. She made the same comment. I suggested she have a
>signature stamp made. She asked is that legal? The lawyer said of
>course it's legal.
>
>People get checks like that all the time. Before the days of direct
>deposit you can be darn sure the head of a large company wasn't
>personally signing everyones' paycheck. They had a machine for that.
>Sig. stamps if it was a smaller company.
>
>I may go the signature stamp route myself. I type much more than I
>write so my handwriting is starting to get a little sloppy.

If you can type as well as you claim (120 wpm) there is no way your
handwriting is shaky. And a rubber stamp sig is not always legal or
acceptible unless notarized, and even then many institutions won't
acept a rubber stamp sig... they'll require you give someone power of
attorny to sign for you.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, February 20, 2013 4:51:02 PM UTC-5, Sqwertz wrote:

> The only two non-profit charities I work with (and for) do their own
>
> fundraising. They design all their own literature, maintain all their
>
> own mailing (email and snail) lists, and the only thing outsourced is
>
> the printing and mailings. Any returned mail is processed in-house.

What's the tipoff that a middleman fundraiser is being used? A PO Box? Conversely, what's the tipoff that contributions are received in house, as you call it? I sure would like to know.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, February 21, 2013 8:59:19 AM UTC-5, James Silverton wrote:
> I have an ink stamp; they don't cost much, last for a long time and
>
> don't have me looking for those tacky stickers.

I can write an abbreviated return address in less time than I can find and wield an ink stamp.

e.g.

123 main
02567

This would get it back to me at 123 Main St., Anytown, ST 02567. And really, how many times does stuff need to come back to you? Maybe we worry too much about return addresses. Live dangerously and leave that corner blank if you're mailing something of little or no consequence.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 20 Feb 2013 21:54:14 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Wed, 20 Feb 2013 20:07:28 -0500, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>
>> I don't think I will be getting too many calls when it'll be very rare
>> this phone is turned on. I think some are missing that I really meant
>> it when I said this phone is strictly for emergency use.

>Yet you're complaining that you're getting messages. It must be one
>of those magic phones that works even when it's turned off.

You illiterate dwarf... I said I just turned it on to drive into into
town.

>And don't be surprised when your magic phone battery is dead when it
>comes time for an emergency.

It comes with two chargers, one for indoors and one that I already
plugged into my car's cigarette lighter.

Hehe, I drove into town again this morning (top round roasts were on
sale but the butcher was at lunch yesterday and I didn't feel like
waiting) and I totally forgot the phone, never occurred to me... now
that is the way it won't do me any good. I have a strong suspician
that for me this cell phone will be more trouble than it's worth...
especially that it's bundled with the PIA Dwarf App. LOL-LOL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 21 Feb 2013 08:58:04 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 20/02/2013 9:19 PM, Cheryl wrote:
>

>> I don't understand that tactic, either. And the ones that send out self
>> addressed stamped envelopes. Not the postage paid one that they are
>> only charged for when they're used, but real stamps.

>I prefer them to affix stamps. I can steam them off and use them on
>other mail.

You can't steam off the new self stick stamps... the adhesive is not
water soluable. You can't steam open the self sealing envelopes
either, same reason.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, February 21, 2013 2:59:10 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> Up until a couple of years ago, I would have agreed with you - however
>
> when I looked at the bottom line of our local food bank and saw that
>
> the woman running it takes home $140,000 + per year

I hope you TOLD them you were done. I'm sure she works hard, but 140? OutRAGEous.

I vol at a food pantry run by a church and there is absolutely no salary paid. A guy donates the money for the gas to run the van down to the pickup point, and all the shelvers and baggers etc are vols. Church members are even asked to donate their used plastic groc bags so the recips can bring the stuff home. One gal cooks a big lunch meal for the vols who work there when the pantry is open to the public. And she draws upon the pantries food.. I have never seen a penny change hands.

It's pretty sad - some of the recips ask sheepishly if we have a roll of t.t. to give them, or even a disposable razor.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kalmia" > wrote in message
On Thursday, February 21, 2013 2:59:10 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> Up until a couple of years ago, I would have agreed with you - however
>
> when I looked at the bottom line of our local food bank and saw that
>
> the woman running it takes home $140,000 + per year

I hope you TOLD them you were done. I'm sure she works hard, but 140?
OutRAGEous.

I vol at a food pantry run by a church and there is absolutely no salary
paid. A guy donates the money for the gas to run the van down to the pickup
point, and all the shelvers and baggers etc are vols. Church members are
even asked to donate their used plastic groc bags so the recips can bring
the stuff home. One gal cooks a big lunch meal for the vols who work there
when the pantry is open to the public. And she draws upon the pantries
food. I have never seen a penny change hands.

It's pretty sad - some of the recips ask sheepishly if we have a roll of
t.t. to give them, or even a disposable razor.

==========

I've never been paid for volunteering, I wouldn't accept it if offered.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia wrote:
> On Thursday, February 21, 2013 2:59:10 PM UTC-5,
> wrote:
>> Up until a couple of years ago, I would have agreed with you -
>> however
>>
>> when I looked at the bottom line of our local food bank and saw that
>>
>> the woman running it takes home $140,000 + per year

> I hope you TOLD them you were done. I'm sure she works hard, but 140?
> OutRAGEous.
>
> I vol at a food pantry run by a church and there is absolutely no
> salary paid. A guy donates the money for the gas to run the van down
> to the pickup point, and all the shelvers and baggers etc are vols.
> Church members are even asked to donate their used plastic groc bags
> so the recips can bring the stuff home. One gal cooks a big lunch
> meal for the vols who work there when the pantry is open to the
> public. And she draws upon the pantries food. I have never seen a
> penny change hands.
>
> It's pretty sad - some of the recips ask sheepishly if we have a roll
> of t.t. to give them, or even a disposable razor.

I have never actually been to our local food bank but I have been to their
website. They are run by some sort of religous people and I don't really
like that aspect of it but it doesn't appear that they are all preachy or
anything like that.

I do not think they take a salary and I believe they are all volunteers.
They do ask for donations of specific things. For a time they did not want
any junk food but I see now that they have changed that and at Christmas
asked for small packages of candy. They also now ask for birthday packages
that would include a cake mix, icing, candles, paper plates, etc. for a
kid's birthday party. They also wanted blankets, gloves, hats, scarves,
socks, toiletries, toilet paper, tissues, paper towels, dish soap and stuff
along those lines. For a time they said they did not need beans because
they had a supplier but they no longer have that. I also wish they would
update their wish list. It still lists what they needed for Christmas. Oh!
And they also ask for pet food. And toys for the children.

It is easy for us to donate because they have a bin in the store near my
daughter's dance studio. The bin is emptied frequently although often there
is nothing in it. We do try to give as often as we can. Not just around
the holiday times. And we try to give stuff they can use. Not stuff like
mustard and hot sauce. Not that people don't want that but... People can
tend to give tons of that stuff because they can get it for free.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/21/2013 3:41 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Feb 2013 08:58:04 -0500, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
>> On 20/02/2013 9:19 PM, Cheryl wrote:
>>

>>> I don't understand that tactic, either. And the ones that send out self
>>> addressed stamped envelopes. Not the postage paid one that they are
>>> only charged for when they're used, but real stamps.

>> I prefer them to affix stamps. I can steam them off and use them on
>> other mail.

> You can't steam off the new self stick stamps... the adhesive is not
> water soluable. You can't steam open the self sealing envelopes
> either, same reason.

No, but you can cut the stamp off with scizzors and glue it to a fresh
envelope. The post office doesn't care as long as the stamp hasn't been
cancelled.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> On 2/21/2013 3:41 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> > On Thu, 21 Feb 2013 08:58:04 -0500, Dave Smith
> > > wrote:

> >> I prefer them to affix stamps. I can steam them off and use them on
> >> other mail.

> > You can't steam off the new self stick stamps... the adhesive is not
> > water soluable. You can't steam open the self sealing envelopes
> > either, same reason.
> >

> No, but you can cut the stamp off with scizzors and glue it to a fresh
> envelope. The post office doesn't care as long as the stamp hasn't been
> cancelled.
>
> Jill

Years ago, when my daughter was attending college at UVA, she sent me a
letter. I think the stamps at the time cost 33 cents. Rather than put a
stamp on the letter, she taped 3 dimes and 3 pennies to it. LOL!

The post office actually sent it on to me and didn't even remove the coins.
The post office ppl probably just got a good laugh out of it. A dumbass
college prank/thing, I suppose.

Gary
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/21/2013 1:10 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Feb 2013 09:33:19 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> On 2/21/2013 8:59 AM, James Silverton wrote:
>>>>
>>> I have an ink stamp; they don't cost much, last for a long time and
>>> don't have me looking for those tacky stickers.
>>>
>>> --

>> ink stamps: Not related to charities, but my mother used to bemoan
>> the fact her handwriting had gotten so bad her signature was sometimes
>> almost illegible. After my dad died I drove her to the lawyer's office
>> to sign some papers. She made the same comment. I suggested she have a
>> signature stamp made. She asked is that legal? The lawyer said of
>> course it's legal.
>>
>> People get checks like that all the time. Before the days of direct
>> deposit you can be darn sure the head of a large company wasn't
>> personally signing everyones' paycheck. They had a machine for that.
>> Sig. stamps if it was a smaller company.
>>
>> I may go the signature stamp route myself. I type much more than I
>> write so my handwriting is starting to get a little sloppy.

> If you can type as well as you claim (120 wpm) there is no way your
> handwriting is shaky.

Did I say it was shaky? Mom's was shaky... she was in her 80's. I just
don't write longhand very often and my handwriting was never that great
to begin with. Besides, you *know* I can type fast... remember the days
of yore when you'd sometimes drop into the rfc chat room? That was
real-time typing, even allowing for my backspacing to correct for typos
or change the way I wrote something.

And a rubber stamp sig is not always legal or
> acceptible unless notarized, and even then many institutions won't
> acept a rubber stamp sig... they'll require you give someone power of
> attorny to sign for you.

I'm not talking about things that require a notary and witnesses.
Presidents in this country have been using an auto-pen to sign routine
correspondence for a very long time. (Before the auto-pen, Presidents
often had their secretaries sign correspondence for them.) I'm talking
about routine every day things.

And yes, you can use a signature stamp on personal checks, not that I
write many checks these days.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 21/02/2013 8:58 PM, graham wrote:

> I stopped giving to the sallies when I found out that in the middle of our
> vicious winters, they still turn away anyone who is under the influence,
> whereas a nearby non-religious charity *never* turns anyone away. So here
> you have a secular charity that is more "christian" than a supposedly
> christian charity.
> Graham

I don't donate to religious charities either, but I can understand their
stand on that. They deal with a lot of people who are in those
situations because they drink too much.

I know a guy who had new found respect for the Salvation Army when he
immigrated here from Scotland in the early 1950s. He had been raised to
hate the SA and they used to taunt them and throw things at them in the
streets back in Scotland. When he got off the boat on a cold winter day
in Halifax the Salvation Army was on the dock handing out free coffee.

Never the less, I think it hilarious that the dress in a sort of uniform
and have ranks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/22/2013 8:21 AM, Gary wrote:

> Years ago, when my daughter was attending college at UVA, she sent me a
> letter. I think the stamps at the time cost 33 cents. Rather than put a
> stamp on the letter, she taped 3 dimes and 3 pennies to it. LOL!
>
> The post office actually sent it on to me and didn't even remove the coins.
> The post office ppl probably just got a good laugh out of it. A dumbass
> college prank/thing, I suppose.

In high school, a friend would simply write CL where the stamp was
supposed to be. It would always be delivered. Those magic letters
stood for chain letter. Yeah, I'm sure the post office had no idea
what that meant.

I'm sure they wouldn't overlook that today.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 22 Feb 2013 08:30:43 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

> And yes, you can use a signature stamp on personal checks, not that I
> write many checks these days.

If they ever come up with a signature stamp that can be used on those
credit card machines at the grocery store, I'll be happy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/22/2013 11:04 AM, sf wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Feb 2013 08:30:43 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>>
>> And yes, you can use a signature stamp on personal checks, not that I
>> write many checks these days.
>>

> If they ever come up with a signature stamp that can be used on those
> credit card machines at the grocery store, I'll be happy.

Gawd I hate those machines where you have to sign your name on the screen.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 22 Feb 2013 11:35:29 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

> On 2/22/2013 11:04 AM, sf wrote:
> > On Fri, 22 Feb 2013 08:30:43 -0500, jmcquown >
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> And yes, you can use a signature stamp on personal checks, not that I
> >> write many checks these days.
> >>

> > If they ever come up with a signature stamp that can be used on those
> > credit card machines at the grocery store, I'll be happy.
> >

> Gawd I hate those machines where you have to sign your name on the screen.

So, I'm not the only one? It seems to me that it should be the first
technology to take a fingerprint as a signature. Our fingerprints are
on file at the DMV, so why not?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/22/2013 11:43 AM, sf wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Feb 2013 11:35:29 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> On 2/22/2013 11:04 AM, sf wrote:
>>>>
>>> If they ever come up with a signature stamp that can be used on those
>>> credit card machines at the grocery store, I'll be happy.
>>>

>> Gawd I hate those machines where you have to sign your name on the screen.
>>

> So, I'm not the only one? It seems to me that it should be the first
> technology to take a fingerprint as a signature. Our fingerprints are
> on file at the DMV, so why not?

I don't know why they bother. My signature usually turns out to be a
scribble nothing like my normal signature. You can pay online without a
signature for amounts much exceeding most grocery bills.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/22/2013 11:04 AM, sf wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Feb 2013 08:30:43 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>>
>> And yes, you can use a signature stamp on personal checks, not that I
>> write many checks these days.
>>

> If they ever come up with a signature stamp that can be used on those
> credit card machines at the grocery store, I'll be happy.

When they eventually switch to chip&pin, you won't need to sign or stamp.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 22 Feb 2013 12:16:28 -0500, James Silverton
> wrote:

> On 2/22/2013 11:43 AM, sf wrote:
> > On Fri, 22 Feb 2013 11:35:29 -0500, jmcquown >
> > wrote:

> >> Gawd I hate those machines where you have to sign your name on the screen.
> >>

> > So, I'm not the only one? It seems to me that it should be the first
> > technology to take a fingerprint as a signature. Our fingerprints are
> > on file at the DMV, so why not?
> >

> I don't know why they bother. My signature usually turns out to be a
> scribble nothing like my normal signature. You can pay online without a
> signature for amounts much exceeding most grocery bills.

Yeah, mine too. Why bother? I dunno.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 22 Feb 2013 12:20:18 -0500, S Viemeister
> wrote:

> On 2/22/2013 11:04 AM, sf wrote:
> > On Fri, 22 Feb 2013 08:30:43 -0500, jmcquown >
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> And yes, you can use a signature stamp on personal checks, not that I
> >> write many checks these days.
> >>

> > If they ever come up with a signature stamp that can be used on those
> > credit card machines at the grocery store, I'll be happy.
> >

> When they eventually switch to chip&pin, you won't need to sign or stamp.

No idea what chip and pin is.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/22/2013 11:35 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 2/22/2013 11:04 AM, sf wrote:
>> On Fri, 22 Feb 2013 08:30:43 -0500, jmcquown >
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> And yes, you can use a signature stamp on personal checks, not that I
>>> write many checks these days.
>>>

>> If they ever come up with a signature stamp that can be used on those
>> credit card machines at the grocery store, I'll be happy.
>>

> Gawd I hate those machines where you have to sign your name on the screen.

Makes me laugh, you look like you have some traumatic nerve issues.
Bad enough you're signing at a weird angle, the thing makes your
writing look really jiggly.

And it isn't as if they have any idea if I'm the owner of the card
anyway, they almost never even look at it.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/22/2013 11:43 AM, sf wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Feb 2013 11:35:29 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> On 2/22/2013 11:04 AM, sf wrote:

>>> If they ever come up with a signature stamp that can be used on those
>>> credit card machines at the grocery store, I'll be happy.
>>>

>> Gawd I hate those machines where you have to sign your name on the screen.
>>

> So, I'm not the only one? It seems to me that it should be the first
> technology to take a fingerprint as a signature. Our fingerprints are
> on file at the DMV, so why not?

Fingerprints?! I just looked at my drivers license. No fingerprint. I
seem to remember way back in the day they asked for fingerprints.
Before photographs, even. But back then what database were they going
to be able to run it through? I'm thinking 30 years ago and not much
networking.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"S Viemeister" > wrote in message
> On 2/22/2013 11:04 AM, sf wrote:
>> On Fri, 22 Feb 2013 08:30:43 -0500, jmcquown >
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> And yes, you can use a signature stamp on personal checks, not that I
>>> write many checks these days.
>>>

>> If they ever come up with a signature stamp that can be used on those
>> credit card machines at the grocery store, I'll be happy.
>>

> When they eventually switch to chip&pin, you won't need to sign or stamp.

That isn't used in US?

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/22/2013 12:37 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 2/22/2013 11:35 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>> On 2/22/2013 11:04 AM, sf wrote:

>>> If they ever come up with a signature stamp that can be used on those
>>> credit card machines at the grocery store, I'll be happy.
>>>

>> Gawd I hate those machines where you have to sign your name on the
>> screen.

> Makes me laugh, you look like you have some traumatic nerve issues.
> Bad enough you're signing at a weird angle, the thing makes your
> writing look really jiggly.

It's difficult to write on the "line" on the screen. Also, they're
usually on a swivel base so it easily moves around making your signature
appear slightly skewed.

> And it isn't as if they have any idea if I'm the owner of the card
> anyway, they almost never even look at it.
>
> nancy

I agree, they usually don't even look. All they care is the transaction
went through.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/22/2013 1:09 PM, Ophelia wrote:
> "S Viemeister" > wrote

>>> If they ever come up with a signature stamp that can be used on those
>>> credit card machines at the grocery store, I'll be happy.
>>>

>> When they eventually switch to chip&pin, you won't need to sign or stamp.

> That isn't used in US?

Not really, no.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/22/2013 12:30 PM, sf wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Feb 2013 12:20:18 -0500, S Viemeister
> > wrote:
>
>> On 2/22/2013 11:04 AM, sf wrote:

>>> If they ever come up with a signature stamp that can be used on those
>>> credit card machines at the grocery store, I'll be happy.
>>>

>> When they eventually switch to chip&pin, you won't need to sign or stamp.

> No idea what chip and pin is.

<http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2399772,00.asp>

I've found it increasingly difficult to use US-issued cards in the UK
(in other than heavily touristed areas), as most US cards only have the
magnetic strips.
Fortunately, I also have a UK-issued card.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"S Viemeister" > wrote in message
> On 2/22/2013 1:09 PM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> When they eventually switch to chip&pin, you won't need to sign or
>>> stamp.

>> That isn't used in US?
>>

> Not really, no.

Good heavens! As you are well aware, we've had them for years!!

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/22/2013 1:56 PM, Ophelia wrote:
> "S Viemeister" > wrote
>> On 2/22/2013 1:09 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>>> "S Viemeister" > wrote
>>> That isn't used in US?

>> Not really, no.

> Good heavens! As you are well aware, we've had them for years!!

Indeed. Which is why I'm very glad that I have a RBoS account, as well
as my US cards!
US Visa and MasterCard were supposed to have chip&pin by April of this
year, but very few have been issued as yet - mostly cards with hefty
fees, or corporate ones. This article claims that perhaps they'll be
available by sometime in 2015...

<http://www.ricksteves.com/tms/article.cfm?id=243&extras=false>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 22 Feb 2013 13:43:28 -0500, S Viemeister
> wrote:

> On 2/22/2013 12:30 PM, sf wrote:
> > On Fri, 22 Feb 2013 12:20:18 -0500, S Viemeister
> >>>
> >> When they eventually switch to chip&pin, you won't need to sign or stamp.

> > No idea what chip and pin is.
> >

> <http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2399772,00.asp>
>
> I've found it increasingly difficult to use US-issued cards in the UK
> (in other than heavily touristed areas), as most US cards only have the
> magnetic strips.
> Fortunately, I also have a UK-issued card.

Oh, okay. We've only been in tourist areas, so haven't had a problem.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 22 Feb 2013 18:56:31 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

> "S Viemeister" > wrote in message
> > On 2/22/2013 1:09 PM, Ophelia wrote:
> >> "S Viemeister" > wrote

> >> That isn't used in US?
> >>

> > Not really, no.

> Good heavens! As you are well aware, we've had them for years!!

You've had a lot of things for years. The thing I liked best that I
saw on my very first trip to Europe was that waiters had a handheld
credit card machine, took care of the transaction on the spot and your
credit card never left your sight. We've never seen waiters here use
them and have no idea why it hasn't caught on.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/22/2013 2:57 PM, sf wrote:

> You've had a lot of things for years. The thing I liked best that I
> saw on my very first trip to Europe was that waiters had a handheld
> credit card machine, took care of the transaction on the spot and your
> credit card never left your sight. We've never seen waiters here use
> them and have no idea why it hasn't caught on.

About 15 years ago, I took my daughter on the train from London to
Inverness. She really enjoyed the trip (the weather was good, so the
scenery was visible), but what really impressed her was the dining car
with its white tablecloths and attentive waiters who treated her like a
grown-up - and when the bill came, the waiter whipped out one of those
card readers. "But it's a _train_! How can they authorise your card on a
_train_?"

I really hate having my card disappear from sight, as happens in US
restaurants.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"S Viemeister" > wrote in message
> On 2/22/2013 2:57 PM, sf wrote:
>
>> You've had a lot of things for years. The thing I liked best that I
>> saw on my very first trip to Europe was that waiters had a handheld
>> credit card machine, took care of the transaction on the spot and your
>> credit card never left your sight. We've never seen waiters here use
>> them and have no idea why it hasn't caught on.
>>

> About 15 years ago, I took my daughter on the train from London to
> Inverness. She really enjoyed the trip (the weather was good, so the
> scenery was visible), but what really impressed her was the dining car
> with its white tablecloths and attentive waiters who treated her like a
> grown-up - and when the bill came, the waiter whipped out one of those
> card readers. "But it's a _train_! How can they authorise your card on a
> _train_?"
>
> I really hate having my card disappear from sight, as happens in US
> restaurants.

I wouldn't allow it!

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 22 Feb 2013 08:07:58 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 2/21/2013 3:41 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> On Thu, 21 Feb 2013 08:58:04 -0500, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:

>>> I prefer them to affix stamps. I can steam them off and use them on
>>> other mail.

>> You can't steam off the new self stick stamps... the adhesive is not
>> water soluable. You can't steam open the self sealing envelopes
>> either, same reason.
>>

>No, but you can cut the stamp off with scizzors and glue it to a fresh
>envelope. The post office doesn't care as long as the stamp hasn't been
>cancelled.

Actually they do care, they won't accept a snipped stamp just because
the canceller missed it, and they can prosecute for attempting a
fraud. Affixing a steamed off stamp is also considered attempted
fraud.
Read 1.3d and 1.8: http://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/604.htm
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 22 Feb 2013 12:55:02 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 2/22/2013 11:43 AM, sf wrote:
>> On Fri, 22 Feb 2013 11:35:29 -0500, jmcquown >
>> wrote:

>>> Gawd I hate those machines where you have to sign your name on the screen.
>>>

>> So, I'm not the only one? It seems to me that it should be the first
>> technology to take a fingerprint as a signature. Our fingerprints are
>> on file at the DMV, so why not?
>>

>Fingerprints?! I just looked at my drivers license. No fingerprint. I
>seem to remember way back in the day they asked for fingerprints.
>Before photographs, even. But back then what database were they going
>to be able to run it through? I'm thinking 30 years ago and not much
>networking.
>
>Jill

I've never seen a driver's licence with finger print ID. Passports
don't have finger print ID. Even military IDs don't have finger
prints.