Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Sig. Stamps (WAS: Charities)

On Fri, 22 Feb 2013 12:37:11 -0500, Nancy Young
> wrote:

>On 2/22/2013 11:35 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>> On 2/22/2013 11:04 AM, sf wrote:

>>> If they ever come up with a signature stamp that can be used on those
>>> credit card machines at the grocery store, I'll be happy.
>>>

>> Gawd I hate those machines where you have to sign your name on the screen.

>Makes me laugh, you look like you have some traumatic nerve issues.
>Bad enough you're signing at a weird angle, the thing makes your
>writing look really jiggly.
>
>And it isn't as if they have any idea if I'm the owner of the card
>anyway, they almost never even look at it.

They don't care about your sig, they just want to get you into the
correct position to take your mug shot.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Charities

On 2/22/2013 4:16 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> No, but you can cut the stamp off with scizzors and glue it to a fresh
>> >envelope. The post office doesn't care as long as the stamp hasn't been
>> >cancelled.

> Actually they do care, they won't accept a snipped stamp just because
> the canceller missed it, and they can prosecute for attempting a
> fraud. Affixing a steamed off stamp is also considered attempted
> fraud.
> Read 1.3d and 1.8:http://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/604.htm

Tell that to the postal workers who have never noticed. You don't
really think they stand there scrutinizing every letter?

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 22 Feb 2013 15:14:22 -0500, S Viemeister
> wrote:

> On 2/22/2013 2:57 PM, sf wrote:
>
> > You've had a lot of things for years. The thing I liked best that I
> > saw on my very first trip to Europe was that waiters had a handheld
> > credit card machine, took care of the transaction on the spot and your
> > credit card never left your sight. We've never seen waiters here use
> > them and have no idea why it hasn't caught on.
> >

> About 15 years ago, I took my daughter on the train from London to
> Inverness. She really enjoyed the trip (the weather was good, so the
> scenery was visible), but what really impressed her was the dining car
> with its white tablecloths and attentive waiters who treated her like a
> grown-up - and when the bill came, the waiter whipped out one of those
> card readers. "But it's a _train_! How can they authorise your card on a
> _train_?"
>
> I really hate having my card disappear from sight, as happens in US
> restaurants.

You never know what happens. Fortunately for us, most service workers
are honest... but that portable card reader is so much better for
customer goodwill, conservation of staff energy - well, you know.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 22 Feb 2013 20:42:32 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

> "S Viemeister" > wrote in message
> > On 2/22/2013 2:57 PM, sf wrote:
> >
> >> You've had a lot of things for years. The thing I liked best that I
> >> saw on my very first trip to Europe was that waiters had a handheld
> >> credit card machine, took care of the transaction on the spot and your
> >> credit card never left your sight. We've never seen waiters here use
> >> them and have no idea why it hasn't caught on.
> >>

> > About 15 years ago, I took my daughter on the train from London to
> > Inverness. She really enjoyed the trip (the weather was good, so the
> > scenery was visible), but what really impressed her was the dining car
> > with its white tablecloths and attentive waiters who treated her like a
> > grown-up - and when the bill came, the waiter whipped out one of those
> > card readers. "But it's a _train_! How can they authorise your card on a
> > _train_?"
> >
> > I really hate having my card disappear from sight, as happens in US
> > restaurants.

> I wouldn't allow it!

That means you'd have to get up and go to the register where they do
the transactions, because it's not coming to you.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 22 Feb 2013 20:42:32 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:

>> > About 15 years ago, I took my daughter on the train from London to
>> > Inverness. She really enjoyed the trip (the weather was good, so the
>> > scenery was visible), but what really impressed her was the dining car
>> > with its white tablecloths and attentive waiters who treated her like a
>> > grown-up - and when the bill came, the waiter whipped out one of those
>> > card readers. "But it's a _train_! How can they authorise your card on
>> > _train_?"
>> >
>> > I really hate having my card disappear from sight, as happens in US
>> > restaurants.

>> I wouldn't allow it!
>>

> That means you'd have to get up and go to the register where they do
> the transactions, because it's not coming to you.

Yes! I would do that! Why ever not?

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/22/2013 3:14 PM, S Viemeister wrote:

> I really hate having my card disappear from sight, as happens in US
> restaurants.

If someone wants to use your card nefariously, it sure doesn't
need to leave your sight. There are plenty of ways someone
dishonest can steal your info and all you need to do is watch
your statements for fraudulent charges. I've had it happen to
me and the charges are removed from your balance, pronto.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 22/02/2013 4:24 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

>> Fingerprints?! I just looked at my drivers license. No fingerprint. I
>> seem to remember way back in the day they asked for fingerprints.
>> Before photographs, even. But back then what database were they going
>> to be able to run it through? I'm thinking 30 years ago and not much
>> networking.
>>
>> Jill

> I've never seen a driver's licence with finger print ID. Passports
> don't have finger print ID. Even military IDs don't have finger
> prints.

I worked in commercial vehicle enforcement and were in the same branch
as the driver licence people. I even did a short stint as a driver
examiner. Dealing with drivers from all ten provinces and the
territories, and all 50 US states, plus some European and Mexican
drivers..... never saw any with fingerprints, and the literature we had
about licences from all those other states, provinces and country....
never mentioned anything about finger prints. Before we had one piece
photo licences, driver licences had to be signed in ink.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 22/02/2013 4:39 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 2/22/2013 4:16 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>> No, but you can cut the stamp off with scizzors and glue it to a fresh
>>> been

>> Actually they do care, they won't accept a snipped stamp just because
>> the canceller missed it, and they can prosecute for attempting a
>> fraud. Affixing a steamed off stamp is also considered attempted
>> fraud.
>> Read 1.3d and 1.8:http://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/604.htm

> Tell that to the postal workers who have never noticed. You don't
> really think they stand there scrutinizing every letter?

I think he is confused there, which is surprising because Sheldon is
sometimes right about things when there is a link to it. I think
1.3.d refers to those printed stamps on cards, not stuck on. So you
can't buy some prepaid metered type of mailer and then cut out the
corner with the meter stamp. The other one, 1.8 would appear to refer to
re-using a stamp that was not properly cancelled. There should be no
problem with one that has not been used in a sent letter. A stamp is,
after all, a form of currency. You should be able to change your mind
about what it is to be used for.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/22/2013 4:41 PM, sf wrote:
> > wrote:
>> On 2/22/2013 2:57 PM, sf wrote:
>>> You've had a lot of things for years. The thing I liked best that I
>>> saw on my very first trip to Europe was that waiters had a handheld
>>> credit card machine, took care of the transaction on the spot and your
>>> credit card never left your sight. We've never seen waiters here use
>>> them and have no idea why it hasn't caught on.
>>>

>> About 15 years ago, I took my daughter on the train from London to
>> Inverness. She really enjoyed the trip (the weather was good, so the
>> scenery was visible), but what really impressed her was the dining car
>> with its white tablecloths and attentive waiters who treated her like a
>> grown-up - and when the bill came, the waiter whipped out one of those
>> card readers. "But it's a _train_! How can they authorise your card on a
>> _train_?"
>>
>> I really hate having my card disappear from sight, as happens in US
>> restaurants.

> You never know what happens. Fortunately for us, most service workers
> are honest... but that portable card reader is so much better for
> customer goodwill, conservation of staff energy - well, you know.

Yup. It would make good business sense.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 22 Feb 2013 16:39:55 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 2/22/2013 4:16 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>> No, but you can cut the stamp off with scizzors and glue it to a fresh

>> Actually they do care, they won't accept a snipped stamp just because
>> the canceller missed it, and they can prosecute for attempting a
>> fraud. Affixing a steamed off stamp is also considered attempted
>> fraud.
>> Read 1.3d and 1.8:http://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/604.htm

>Tell that to the postal workers who have never noticed. You don't
>really think they stand there scrutinizing every letter?

Cops don't catch every drunk driver. On occasion I've repasted used
but uncancelled stamps myself but it's illegal.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/22/2013 5:41 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 2/22/2013 3:14 PM, S Viemeister wrote:
>
>> I really hate having my card disappear from sight, as happens in US
>> restaurants.

> If someone wants to use your card nefariously, it sure doesn't
> need to leave your sight. There are plenty of ways someone
> dishonest can steal your info and all you need to do is watch
> your statements for fraudulent charges. I've had it happen to
> me and the charges are removed from your balance, pronto.

Not necessarily 'pronto'!

It took us _months_ to sort out false charges on our American Express
card, even though it was fairly obvious that my husband couldn't have
made gasoline purchases in both New Jersey and Texas within an hour of
each other - and the fake purchases in Texas were apparently for large
commercial vehicles, while the NJ charges were within his usual pattern
at the time.

Months, it took!!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 22 Feb 2013 18:05:26 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>>> Actually they do care, they won't accept a snipped stamp just because
>>> the canceller missed it, and they can prosecute for attempting a
>>> fraud. Affixing a steamed off stamp is also considered attempted
>>> fraud.
>>> Read 1.3d and 1.8:http://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/604.htm

>> Tell that to the postal workers who have never noticed. You don't
>> really think they stand there scrutinizing every letter?
>>

>I think he is confused there, which is surprising because Sheldon is
>sometimes right about things when there is a link to it. I think
>1.3.d refers to those printed stamps on cards, not stuck on. So you
>can't buy some prepaid metered type of mailer and then cut out the
>corner with the meter stamp. The other one, 1.8 would appear to refer to
>re-using a stamp that was not properly cancelled. There should be no
>problem with one that has not been used in a sent letter. A stamp is,
>after all, a form of currency. You should be able to change your mind
>about what it is to be used for.

Read more carefully... but more importantly use some common sense...
what makes you think the postal service wants folks to reuse stamps
just because the machinery failed to print the cancellation... didn't
you read where some attempt to circumvent cancellation by waxing the
stamps.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 22/02/2013 7:05 PM, S Viemeister wrote:

> It took us _months_ to sort out false charges on our American Express
> card, even though it was fairly obvious that my husband couldn't have
> made gasoline purchases in both New Jersey and Texas within an hour of
> each other - and the fake purchases in Texas were apparently for large
> commercial vehicles, while the NJ charges were within his usual pattern
> at the time.

On two occasions I have had calls from credit card companies asking
about unusual purchase patterns, both at Christmas. I rarely used my
credit cards so a sudden spree set off their alarms.

I am only aware of one instance of false charges and that was an
expensive lunch for which I was charged twice, the original amount I had
charged and then the same amount plus a few pennies a day or two later.
I contacted Visa as soon as the bill came in. They called the restaurant
and they got a cock and bull story about how they were a new business
and thought the charge had not gone through. They were supposed to issue
a credit.

The credit did not appear on the next month's bill so I called back.
Visa told me they were going to ask the restaurant for a hard copy and
if they did not get it within 45 days I would not be liable.

Two months later and no credit, I was in the area and stopped at the
restaurant and demanded my money. It probably helped that I was in
uniform and threatening to have charges laid. They gave me a cheque and
I cashed it ASAP. By coincidence, Visa called that night and asked if I
had had any resolution with the restaurant, and when I told her that I
had just been paid that day she said that was a good because it would be
hard to get it straightened out after so much time had passed

????
I reported it as as soon as I got the bill with the fraudulent charge.
They had contacted the restaurant that day and said there would be
credit issued.

This is the same company with which I had, years before, had zero
balance for several months, and then I got a bill with zero balance but
15 cents interest on the unpaid balance. After I ignored it for several
months they started sending me letters demanding payment of their 15
cents, then 16 cents, then 17 cents.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/22/2013 7:05 PM, S Viemeister wrote:
> On 2/22/2013 5:41 PM, Nancy Young wrote:

>> your statements for fraudulent charges. I've had it happen to
>> me and the charges are removed from your balance, pronto.
>>

> Not necessarily 'pronto'!
>
> It took us _months_ to sort out false charges on our American Express
> card, even though it was fairly obvious that my husband couldn't have
> made gasoline purchases in both New Jersey and Texas within an hour of
> each other - and the fake purchases in Texas were apparently for large
> commercial vehicles, while the NJ charges were within his usual pattern
> at the time.
>
> Months, it took!!!

Wow, American Express removed mine right away. Even so, you do not
have to pay charges that are in dispute until it's settled.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/22/2013 7:59 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 2/22/2013 7:05 PM, S Viemeister wrote:
>> On 2/22/2013 5:41 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
>>> your statements for fraudulent charges. I've had it happen to
>>> me and the charges are removed from your balance, pronto.
>>>

>> Not necessarily 'pronto'!
>>
>> It took us _months_ to sort out false charges on our American Express
>> card, even though it was fairly obvious that my husband couldn't have
>> made gasoline purchases in both New Jersey and Texas within an hour of
>> each other - and the fake purchases in Texas were apparently for large
>> commercial vehicles, while the NJ charges were within his usual pattern
>> at the time.
>>
>> Months, it took!!!

> Wow, American Express removed mine right away. Even so, you do not
> have to pay charges that are in dispute until it's settled.

That's what I thought - but we had to reopen the dispute, more than once
- they claimed that since a _card_ had been used to charge the fuel in
Texas, it must have been legitimate...so we had to go through all the
"look at that month's charges - does that look to be physically
possible" thing again.
It was eventually sorted out, but it took far longer than it should
have. The card had been cloned.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 20 Feb 2013 21:19:34 -0500, Cheryl >
wrote:

>On 2/20/2013 7:11 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
>
>> How to alienate donors: use all the money they sent you on constant
>> mailings and free labels. Just so you know you threw money down a
>> hole.

>I don't understand that tactic, either. And the ones that send out self
>addressed stamped envelopes. Not the postage paid one that they are
>only charged for when they're used, but real stamps.

It is to give you a guilt trip not using that stamp. I'm sure the
method has been tested and proven to work.

There is only one charity I give to with my name. It is a donation
near the end of the year and I do it on line. They don't bug me the
rest of the year and I appreciate that.

During the course of the year, I give cash to a couple that I know
actually use the money for real and not fund raising.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/22/2013 12:20 PM, S Viemeister wrote:
> On 2/22/2013 11:04 AM, sf wrote:
>> On Fri, 22 Feb 2013 08:30:43 -0500, jmcquown >
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> And yes, you can use a signature stamp on personal checks, not that I
>>> write many checks these days.
>>>

>> If they ever come up with a signature stamp that can be used on those
>> credit card machines at the grocery store, I'll be happy.
>>

> When they eventually switch to chip&pin, you won't need to sign or stamp.

Sorry, I'm not buying into this:

"We're moving toward a world beyond plastic, where consumers will shop
and pay in a way that best fits their needs and lifestyles with a simple
tap, click or touch in-store, online or on a mobile device," said Chris
McWilton, president of U.S. markets for MasterCard. "Our roadmap
represents a transformational shift..."

I love the marketing hype. "Transformational shift". LOL

I do shop online. But I won't ever be doing it with a "simple tap,
click or touch" since I don't carry mobile devices around with me. what
a wonderful way to promote rampant consumerism. Yay!

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 Feb 2013 00:10:21 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On Wed, 20 Feb 2013 21:19:34 -0500, Cheryl >
>wrote:
>
>>On 2/20/2013 7:11 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
>>
>>> How to alienate donors: use all the money they sent you on constant
>>> mailings and free labels. Just so you know you threw money down a
>>> hole.

>>I don't understand that tactic, either. And the ones that send out self
>>addressed stamped envelopes. Not the postage paid one that they are
>>only charged for when they're used, but real stamps.

>It is to give you a guilt trip not using that stamp. I'm sure the
>method has been tested and proven to work.
>
>There is only one charity I give to with my name. It is a donation
>near the end of the year and I do it on line. They don't bug me the
>rest of the year and I appreciate that.
>
> During the course of the year, I give cash to a couple that I know
>actually use the money for real and not fund raising.

About 20 years ago I got snookered into giving to Children's Christian
Fund... after about a year of sending money and receiving snail mail
from a child that supposedly resided in central Mexico I discovered
that the letters are forged by an adult and there are no needy
children, it's a scam. When I phoned for making arrangements to visit
the kid they stopped sending me mail. I felt much better about giving
the neighborhood winos a few bucks for muscatel... on Long Island
there was one old wino who pushed a cart filled with all his worldly
possesions and his two cats, I always gave him cans of cat food and a
few bucks so he could eat too but I'm sure he drank it up. At least I
wasn't scammed, I knew right up front that he was an alkie, and he did
take very good care of his two cats. In winter I'd give the bums warm
clothing, I'd see them wearing it. I'd never again give money to an
organization, may as well flush it down the toilet.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 22 Feb 2013 19:59:43 -0500, Nancy Young
> wrote:

> On 2/22/2013 7:05 PM, S Viemeister wrote:
> > On 2/22/2013 5:41 PM, Nancy Young wrote:

> >> your statements for fraudulent charges. I've had it happen to
> >> me and the charges are removed from your balance, pronto.
> >>

> > Not necessarily 'pronto'!
> >
> > It took us _months_ to sort out false charges on our American Express
> > card, even though it was fairly obvious that my husband couldn't have
> > made gasoline purchases in both New Jersey and Texas within an hour of
> > each other - and the fake purchases in Texas were apparently for large
> > commercial vehicles, while the NJ charges were within his usual pattern
> > at the time.
> >
> > Months, it took!!!

> Wow, American Express removed mine right away. Even so, you do not
> have to pay charges that are in dispute until it's settled.

Disputed charges are always removed immediately from our credit cards
too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/23/2013 12:10 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Feb 2013 21:19:34 -0500, Cheryl >
> wrote:
>
>> On 2/20/2013 7:11 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
>>
>>> How to alienate donors: use all the money they sent you on constant
>>> mailings and free labels. Just so you know you threw money down a
>>> hole.

>> I don't understand that tactic, either. And the ones that send out self
>> addressed stamped envelopes. Not the postage paid one that they are
>> only charged for when they're used, but real stamps.

> It is to give you a guilt trip not using that stamp. I'm sure the
> method has been tested and proven to work.
>
> There is only one charity I give to with my name. It is a donation
> near the end of the year and I do it on line. They don't bug me the
> rest of the year and I appreciate that.
>
> During the course of the year, I give cash to a couple that I know
> actually use the money for real and not fund raising.

I do that, too. My sister is my charity these days. It isn't her kids
fault that she can't provide for them properly. She is finally getting
child support but her husband spent 5 years in jail and she didn't get a
dime.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/21/2013 11:26 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 2/21/2013 8:20 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> If they (presumeably the doctor's you mentioned upthread) can't figure
>> out which is which it's time to change doctors.

> Really, it's a return address label, not a What's in the envelope label.
> They open it and deal with what's inside it.
>
> nancy

I can't even imagine them looking at a return address sticker on an
envelope anyway. The just slice open the envelope and keep what's
inside and trash/recycle the rest.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/22/2013 4:42 PM, sf wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Feb 2013 20:42:32 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:

>>> About 15 years ago, I took my daughter on the train from London to
>>> Inverness. She really enjoyed the trip (the weather was good, so the
>>> scenery was visible), but what really impressed her was the dining car
>>> with its white tablecloths and attentive waiters who treated her like a
>>> grown-up - and when the bill came, the waiter whipped out one of those
>>> card readers. "But it's a _train_! How can they authorise your card on a
>>> _train_?"
>>>
>>> I really hate having my card disappear from sight, as happens in US
>>> restaurants.

>> I wouldn't allow it!
>>

> That means you'd have to get up and go to the register where they do
> the transactions, because it's not coming to you.

Or use cash.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/22/2013 4:41 PM, sf wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Feb 2013 15:14:22 -0500, S Viemeister
> > wrote:
>
>> On 2/22/2013 2:57 PM, sf wrote:
>>
>>> You've had a lot of things for years. The thing I liked best that I
>>> saw on my very first trip to Europe was that waiters had a handheld
>>> credit card machine, took care of the transaction on the spot and your
>>> credit card never left your sight. We've never seen waiters here use
>>> them and have no idea why it hasn't caught on.
>>>

>> About 15 years ago, I took my daughter on the train from London to
>> Inverness. She really enjoyed the trip (the weather was good, so the
>> scenery was visible), but what really impressed her was the dining car
>> with its white tablecloths and attentive waiters who treated her like a
>> grown-up - and when the bill came, the waiter whipped out one of those
>> card readers. "But it's a _train_! How can they authorise your card on a
>> _train_?"
>>
>> I really hate having my card disappear from sight, as happens in US
>> restaurants.

> You never know what happens. Fortunately for us, most service workers
> are honest... but that portable card reader is so much better for
> customer goodwill, conservation of staff energy - well, you know.

There are always the weirdos. Back in the days of writing checks for
purchases I had the unfortunate luck to have to give a check to someone
who actually took my phone number off of the check and called me at home
a day or two later. I was stunned.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 Feb 2013 22:30:14 -0500, Cheryl >
wrote:

>There are always the weirdos. Back in the days of writing checks for
>purchases I had the unfortunate luck to have to give a check to someone
>who actually took my phone number off of the check and called me at home
>a day or two later. I was stunned.

Good Lord!! What did they want?

Doris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 Feb 2013 07:25:43 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>I do shop online. But I won't ever be doing it with a "simple tap,
>click or touch" since I don't carry mobile devices around with me. what
>a wonderful way to promote rampant consumerism. Yay!
>
>Jill

Do you carry a credit card? That is all you will need to tap.

Oh, they are working on fingerprint recognition. You can be naked and
carry nothing, but still charge to your CC.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message

> I'm not sure how charities work in the UK but I'm tending to think
> it's just as bad there as it is here. The UK has an equivilent
> concentration of bleeding hearts as most "progressive" American
> cities.
>
> Please research your charities carefully. There are too many people
> getting stinking rich off of the kindness of others.

Yes, you are quite right! The only charities we support these days are the
one in my sig and the Dog's Trust. The biggest animal trust in uk is the
RSPCA and it stinks. I could tell you many stories about how they big waste
money. One story in particular makes me very angry. They are often left
money and property in wills. One man had nurtured a piece of land as a
haven for wildlife. In his will he left it to the RSPCA requesting it be
cared for as he had done. They promptly sold it to a property developer.

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
news
> Oh, they are working on fingerprint recognition. You can be naked and
> carry nothing, but still charge to your CC.

I think you might cause a bit of a riot in a restaurant <g>

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> news >
> > Oh, they are working on fingerprint recognition. You can be naked and
> > carry nothing, but still charge to your CC.

> I think you might cause a bit of a riot in a restaurant <g>

Disturbing? heheh Check out this story. Humans are just weird, imo.
http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2013/0...ntcmp=features
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
>> news >>
>> > Oh, they are working on fingerprint recognition. You can be naked and
>> > carry nothing, but still charge to your CC.

>> I think you might cause a bit of a riot in a restaurant <g>
>>

> Disturbing? heheh Check out this story. Humans are just weird, imo.
> http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2013/0...ntcmp=features

Oh dear I wonder if they used their thumbs to gain entry ...
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/23/2013 10:15 PM, Cheryl wrote:
> On 2/21/2013 11:26 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
>> On 2/21/2013 8:20 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>>
>>> If they (presumeably the doctor's you mentioned upthread) can't figure
>>> out which is which it's time to change doctors.

>> Really, it's a return address label, not a What's in the envelope label.
>> They open it and deal with what's inside it.
>>
>> nancy
>>

> I can't even imagine them looking at a return address sticker on an
> envelope anyway. The just slice open the envelope and keep what's
> inside and trash/recycle the rest.

Exactly. In the mid-1980's I was a secretary. I opened and sorted all
the department mail (unless it was marked 'personal'). I never paid one
bit of attention to the return address, label or not.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/23/2013 11:08 PM, Doris Night wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Feb 2013 22:30:14 -0500, Cheryl >
> wrote:
>
>> There are always the weirdos. Back in the days of writing checks for
>> purchases I had the unfortunate luck to have to give a check to someone
>> who actually took my phone number off of the check and called me at home
>> a day or two later. I was stunned.

> Good Lord!! What did they want?
>
> Doris

With weirdos you just never know. Cheryl is lucky the person didn't
just show up at her house. Many years ago I took a cab home from the
airport. Chit-chatting with the driver, I must have mentioned I worked
with computers. About a week later he knocked on my door! Could I
teach him about computers? Sorry, no. Then he asked if I'd like to go
out with him! Uh, no thanks. I did report him to the cab company; this
was completely inappropriate.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/24/2013 3:52 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
>> That's interesting. I mentioned earlier about a donation we gave to a
>> >charity. We were in Glasgow and canvassers were on the streets approaching
>> >people for the charity we had decided on. When we mentioned the sum, they
>> >told us they couldn't take it and put us directly onto the charity. It
>> >seems they were only able to sign people up for regular donations. That
>> >surprised me.

> I'm not sure how charities work in the UK but I'm tending to think
> it's just as bad there as it is here. The UK has an equivilent
> concentration of bleeding hearts as most "progressive" American
> cities.
>
> Please research your charities carefully. There are too many people
> getting stinking rich off of the kindness of others.
>
> -sw

There used to be a charity called Angel Food Ministries. Hell, even I
bought boxes of food from them a few times. I'm sure I mentioned this
some years back.

You didn't have to be on welfare or receive food stamps to qualify.
Anyone could buy food from this place. Just place your order (they had
different types of "food boxes" to choose from). Average cost was about
$30 for a box of food. On the specified day that month you'd go to the
sponsor church, bring a box or a cooler and pick up your food.

It worked like a cafeteria. You took your empty box down a line of
folding tables where volunteers would add items, depending upon which
box you'd ordered. Unless it was a vegetable box there was always meat.
Sometimes vac-packed steaks or a bag of frozen chicken breast halves.
Move down the line, a bag of frozen vegetables. Also dried spaghetti
and a jar or can of pasta sauce. Sometimes a bag of rice. A carton of
shelf-stable milk. Cookies or a frozen pie for dessert. Lastly, a
carton of eggs. The food was mostly donated by restaurant supply
companies. The goal was to provide enough food to feed a family of four
for a week.

Worked well for a while. Then they got greedy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angel_Food_Ministries

"The ministry closed in September 2011 as a result of a federal fraud
investigation."

The founders (and their adult son) were living high on the hog.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/24/2013 4:27 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>
>> I'm not sure how charities work in the UK but I'm tending to think
>> it's just as bad there as it is here. The UK has an equivilent
>> concentration of bleeding hearts as most "progressive" American
>> cities.
>>
>> Please research your charities carefully. There are too many people
>> getting stinking rich off of the kindness of others.

> Yes, you are quite right! The only charities we support these days are
> the one in my sig and the Dog's Trust. The biggest animal trust in uk
> is the RSPCA and it stinks. I could tell you many stories about how
> they big waste money. One story in particular makes me very angry.
> They are often left money and property in wills. One man had nurtured a
> piece of land as a haven for wildlife. In his will he left it to the
> RSPCA requesting it be cared for as he had done. They promptly sold it
> to a property developer.

I know someone whose elderly but well-loved and well cared-for cat had
wandered off. She'd been searching frantically. Some woman picked the
cat up, thinking it was a stray. She took it to the RSPCA. Without
even attempting to find the owner, they euthanized her cat!

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 2/24/2013 4:27 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>>
>>> I'm not sure how charities work in the UK but I'm tending to think
>>> it's just as bad there as it is here. The UK has an equivilent
>>> concentration of bleeding hearts as most "progressive" American
>>> cities.
>>>
>>> Please research your charities carefully. There are too many people
>>> getting stinking rich off of the kindness of others.

>> Yes, you are quite right! The only charities we support these days are
>> the one in my sig and the Dog's Trust. The biggest animal trust in uk
>> is the RSPCA and it stinks. I could tell you many stories about how
>> they big waste money. One story in particular makes me very angry.
>> They are often left money and property in wills. One man had nurtured a
>> piece of land as a haven for wildlife. In his will he left it to the
>> RSPCA requesting it be cared for as he had done. They promptly sold it
>> to a property developer.
>>

> I know someone whose elderly but well-loved and well cared-for cat had
> wandered off. She'd been searching frantically. Some woman picked the
> cat up, thinking it was a stray. She took it to the RSPCA. Without even
> attempting to find the owner, they euthanized her cat!

Sounds right I would never take any animal to the RSPCA (The Royal Society
for the Preventions of Cruelty to Animals)

*spit*
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 2/24/2013 3:52 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
>>> That's interesting. I mentioned earlier about a donation we gave to a

>> I'm not sure how charities work in the UK but I'm tending to think
>> it's just as bad there as it is here. The UK has an equivilent
>> concentration of bleeding hearts as most "progressive" American
>> cities.
>>
>> Please research your charities carefully. There are too many people
>> getting stinking rich off of the kindness of others.
>>
>> -sw

> There used to be a charity called Angel Food Ministries. Hell, even I
> bought boxes of food from them a few times. I'm sure I mentioned this
> some years back.
>
> You didn't have to be on welfare or receive food stamps to qualify. Anyone
> could buy food from this place. Just place your order (they had different
> types of "food boxes" to choose from). Average cost was about $30 for a
> box of food. On the specified day that month you'd go to the sponsor
> church, bring a box or a cooler and pick up your food.
>
> It worked like a cafeteria. You took your empty box down a line of folding
> tables where volunteers would add items, depending upon which box you'd
> ordered. Unless it was a vegetable box there was always meat. Sometimes
> vac-packed steaks or a bag of frozen chicken breast halves. Move down the
> line, a bag of frozen vegetables. Also dried spaghetti and a jar or can
> of pasta sauce. Sometimes a bag of rice. A carton of shelf-stable milk.
> Cookies or a frozen pie for dessert. Lastly, a carton of eggs. The food
> was mostly donated by restaurant supply companies. The goal was to
> provide enough food to feed a family of four for a week.
>
> Worked well for a while. Then they got greedy.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angel_Food_Ministries
>
> "The ministry closed in September 2011 as a result of a federal fraud
> investigation."
>
> The founders (and their adult son) were living high on the hog.

As do many xtian ministry bosses! But for "high on the hog" you should see
how much those perfectly quoiffed televangelists pay them selves!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On 2/22/2013 4:41 PM, sf wrote:
>> On Fri, 22 Feb 2013 15:14:22 -0500, S Viemeister
>> > wrote:

>>> About 15 years ago, I took my daughter on the train from London to
>>> Inverness. She really enjoyed the trip (the weather was good, so the
>>> scenery was visible), but what really impressed her was the dining car
>>> with its white tablecloths and attentive waiters who treated her like a
>>> grown-up - and when the bill came, the waiter whipped out one of those
>>> card readers. "But it's a _train_! How can they authorise your card on a
>>> _train_?"
>>>
>>> I really hate having my card disappear from sight, as happens in US
>>> restaurants.

>> You never know what happens. Fortunately for us, most service workers
>> are honest... but that portable card reader is so much better for
>> customer goodwill, conservation of staff energy - well, you know.
>>

>There are always the weirdos. Back in the days of writing checks for
>purchases I had the unfortunate luck to have to give a check to someone
>who actually took my phone number off of the check and called me at home
>a day or two later. I was stunned.

Why do you need your phone number printed on your checks? I stopped
having my phone number printed on my checks about the time rotary
phones were replaced with keypad phones. I don't have my address
printed on my checks either, I have my POBox printed instead... why
help the scammers...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 Feb 2013 23:08:25 -0500, Doris Night
> wrote:

>On Sat, 23 Feb 2013 22:30:14 -0500, Cheryl >
>wrote:
>
>>There are always the weirdos. Back in the days of writing checks for
>>purchases I had the unfortunate luck to have to give a check to someone
>>who actually took my phone number off of the check and called me at home
>>a day or two later. I was stunned.

>Good Lord!! What did they want?
>
>Doris

What do you think... her bra size natcherly! LOL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/23/2013 11:08 PM, Doris Night wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Feb 2013 22:30:14 -0500, Cheryl >
> wrote:
>
>> There are always the weirdos. Back in the days of writing checks for
>> purchases I had the unfortunate luck to have to give a check to someone
>> who actually took my phone number off of the check and called me at home
>> a day or two later. I was stunned.

> Good Lord!! What did they want?
>
> Doris

A date.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 Feb 2013 17:33:05 -0500, Cheryl >
wrote:

>On 2/23/2013 11:08 PM, Doris Night wrote:
>> On Sat, 23 Feb 2013 22:30:14 -0500, Cheryl >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> There are always the weirdos. Back in the days of writing checks for
>>> purchases I had the unfortunate luck to have to give a check to someone
>>> who actually took my phone number off of the check and called me at home
>>> a day or two later. I was stunned.

>> Good Lord!! What did they want?
>>
>> Doris
>>

>A date.

Could've been Andy.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/24/2013 3:49 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> here are always the weirdos. Back in the days of writing checks for
>> >purchases I had the unfortunate luck to have to give a check to someone
>> >who actually took my phone number off of the check and called me at home
>> >a day or two later. I was stunned.

> Why do you need your phone number printed on your checks? I stopped
> having my phone number printed on my checks about the time rotary
> phones were replaced with keypad phones. I don't have my address
> printed on my checks either, I have my POBox printed instead... why
> help the scammers...

Not everyone has a PO Box. But no, I have never had my phone number
printed on my checks. Back in the day (before computers asked for your
phone number in some places) some stores would still ask for your phone
number and write it on the check.

I'm still shredding 20 years worth of my parents' cancelled checks.
They had their SSN's printed on them. Even though those SSN's have been
out of circulation for years some nefarious person might try to use them.

Jill