Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default USDA to let Hawaii ship avocados to mainland US

On 9/15/2013 1:11 AM, sf wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Sep 2013 19:04:48 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> The ceramic shade you're talking about is called celedon. It's actually
>> quite lovely. I gave my brother a set of celedon plates and bowls when
>> he became interested in Chinese cooking. He later bought a matching tea
>> set.

> I think he's talking about the green that used to be in waiting rooms
> - it was more of a lime than celedon. Celedon is lovely, lime green
> of the '60s wasn't.

Oh, that minty hospital green I remember from the military hospital
of my youth. I'm left with a serious aversion to it. I painted my
bedroom three times because the sage I wanted looked minty when it
was up. Shudder.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> Oh, that minty hospital green I remember from the military hospital
> of my youth. I'm left with a serious aversion to it. I painted my
> bedroom three times because the sage I wanted looked minty when it
> was up. Shudder.

I think I know the awful green that was so popular so many years ago.
I've repainted many houses to get rid of that color as new people buy
the homes. The main problem with that was that walls and woodwork
were painted the same green. Doing the woodwork the same color was the
problem that made it look drab.

I switched to a green in my living room many years ago and I still
love it. I mixed the color myself and I describe it as "wintergreen,"
thinking of wintergreen tic-tac breath mints. It's close to that.
It's a "beachy" color and I live at the beach. What makes it nice
though is to have lots of white in the room too. My living room has
white ceiling and woodwork...and also LOTS of white
furniture...picture frames, bookshelves, chairs, etc. 15 or more
years now and I still like it. You keep it tidy and it always looks
so fresh and open and.....beachy.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/15/2013 9:31 AM, Gary wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote:
>>
>> Oh, that minty hospital green I remember from the military hospital
>> of my youth. I'm left with a serious aversion to it. I painted my
>> bedroom three times because the sage I wanted looked minty when it
>> was up. Shudder.

> I think I know the awful green that was so popular so many years ago.

I remember that Sears had premixed paint colors ... blue, green and
off white ... probably a yellow, too.

I think that's where everyone got that minty-yet-depressing shade.

> I've repainted many houses to get rid of that color as new people buy
> the homes. The main problem with that was that walls and woodwork
> were painted the same green.

I know exactly what you mean, I can see it in my mind's eye. It's
a pet peeve of mine.

When we bought this place, our bedroom was pumpkin orange. Off
a pumpkin, it's not a great color, and yes, all the woodwork was
the same color. The view out the window framed in this unappealing
orange.

> Doing the woodwork the same color was the
> problem that made it look drab.
>
> I switched to a green in my living room many years ago and I still
> love it. I mixed the color myself

Ha, same as my bedroom now, we'd never be able to duplicate the
color.

> and I describe it as "wintergreen,"
> thinking of wintergreen tic-tac breath mints. It's close to that.
> It's a "beachy" color and I live at the beach. What makes it nice
> though is to have lots of white in the room too. My living room has
> white ceiling and woodwork...and also LOTS of white
> furniture...picture frames, bookshelves, chairs, etc. 15 or more
> years now and I still like it. You keep it tidy and it always looks
> so fresh and open and.....beachy.

That sounds really nice. I approve. (laugh)

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Sep 2013 12:31:23 -0400, Nancy Young
> wrote:

> When we bought this place, our bedroom was pumpkin orange. Off
> a pumpkin, it's not a great color, and yes, all the woodwork was
> the same color. The view out the window framed in this unappealing
> orange.

You too? God it was awful! My bedroom was papered in a very
expensive grass cloth with an orange backing and all the woodwork was
painted an orange to match that backing. I got rid of it ASAP.
Unfortunately, my kitchen didn't change as quickly. It had pink &
white tiles, with pink/lime green flowered walls and stripes on the
ceiling in matching colors. The walls and ceiling were painted
eventually, but I lived with those tiles for way too many years. TG
pink was just the trim.

Okay Sky-all about Avocados, esp. from Hawaii pure kona[_2_] General Cooking 10 04-08-2011 10:10 PM
Cruise Ship Sushi BD[_1_] Sushi 11 21-12-2007 06:44 PM
A mainland version of Taiwan GaoShan Space Cowboy Tea 5 11-10-2006 03:21 PM
can anyone help me to buy and ship yeast and others ? Alireza Winemaking 1 15-08-2005 09:58 PM