Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Ezell's Chicken

I got this for lunch/dinner. Because of all the time I spent at the
hospital over the weekend, I was unable to do any grocery shopping and there
wasn't even time for me to stop what I was doing to heat up a Hormel entree
for husband. He came home starving. I had to go get a prescription and a
new Ezell's opened next door.

Of course he was furious of the sh*t food that I brought back. Spicy
chicken tenders, coleslaw, mac and cheese, BBQ beans, rolls and sweet potato
pie. Everything on the menu is carb city. I did not see one thing that was
not. I could not get any feedback from him on the taste of the food because
he was so angry about it. Odd because this is usually the kind of food that
he likes! And I did want to know about the taste because my parents said it
was so horrible they wouldn't eat it again. Yet everyone else I know, raves
about it.

I did try the beans and was pleasantly surprised. I rarely like BBQ beans
because they are too sweet and smoky tasting and have a super thick sauce.
But they told that there was no meat in them. That could be why I like
them. Although I do like bacon in beans. I really did like these but am
sure they are loaded with carbs. The rolls look good too but I've no clue
what is in them so won't try. Only other thing I saw on the menu that I
might have been able to eat was corn on the cob but I had that last night
and that is enough to hold me for the next 5 years or so. Nothing really
against corn. Just not a fave.

Daughter loved the food although she didn't try the chicken. It did look
greasy. Probably won't be going there again unless I am in need of some
beans and coleslaw and am on my way home from somewhere.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" wrote in message ...

[...]

Never heard of someone with such a visceral opinion of Ezell's. Personally,
I love it, as do many people in the Seattle area. Regular or spicy(spicy is
my choice). Also a favorite of Oprah. She would have it sent to her in
Chicago.

One small tip on buying retail fried chicken. When you place your order, ask
them to make it from scratch. Otherwise, they will take what is already
fried, and hiding under the heat lamps.

Alan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Alan wrote:

> "Julie Bove" wrote in message ...
>
> I got this for lunch/dinner. Because of all the time I spent at the
> hospital over the weekend, I was unable to do any grocery shopping and there
> wasn't even time for me to stop what I was doing to heat up a Hormel entree
> for husband. He came home starving. I had to go get a prescription and a
> new Ezell's opened next door.
>
> Of course he was furious of the sh*t food that I brought back. Spicy
> chicken tenders, coleslaw, mac and cheese, BBQ beans, rolls and sweet potato
> pie. Everything on the menu is carb city. I did not see one thing that was
> not. I could not get any feedback from him on the taste of the food because
> he was so angry about it. Odd because this is usually the kind of food that
> he likes! And I did want to know about the taste because my parents said it
> was so horrible they wouldn't eat it again. Yet everyone else I know, raves
> about it.
>
> I did try the beans and was pleasantly surprised. I rarely like BBQ beans
> because they are too sweet and smoky tasting and have a super thick sauce.
> But they told that there was no meat in them. That could be why I like
> them. Although I do like bacon in beans. I really did like these but am
> sure they are loaded with carbs. The rolls look good too but I've no clue
> what is in them so won't try. Only other thing I saw on the menu that I
> might have been able to eat was corn on the cob but I had that last night
> and that is enough to hold me for the next 5 years or so. Nothing really
> against corn. Just not a fave.
>
> Daughter loved the food although she didn't try the chicken. It did look
> greasy. Probably won't be going there again unless I am in need of some
> beans and coleslaw and am on my way home from somewhere.
>
> Never heard of someone with such a visceral opinion of Ezell's. Personally,
> I love it, as do many people in the Seattle area. Regular or spicy(spicy is
> my choice). Also a favorite of Oprah. She would have it sent to her in
> Chicago.
>
> One small tip on buying retail fried chicken. When you place your order, ask
> them to make it from scratch. Otherwise, they will take what is already
> fried, and hiding under the heat lamps.
>
> Alan

This reminds me of a 100% true story from one of my literally hundreds of
visits to Harold's Chicken Shack in Chicago, the local chain with the
animated neon sign of a guy (must be Harold) wielding a hatchet & chasing
a chicken. This woman takes her order back to the bullet proof window
rotating thingy and says she wants a refund - because "these wings are
GREASY." She didn't say they're *too* greasy - just greasy. People started
smiling and looking at each other and then some guy said "man, you're at
the wrong place!" Then everyone burst out laughing. The woman didn't get
a refund.

My problem with Ezell's is it's not greasy enough but that's probably
because my baseline fried chicken is Harold's. And, they have some
freakishly large wings - not quite sure what that's all about.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, November 11, 2013 6:44:32 PM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:
> I got this for lunch/dinner. Because of all the time I spent at the
>
> hospital over the weekend, I was unable to do any grocery shopping and there
>
> wasn't even time for me to stop what I was doing to heat up a Hormel entree
>
> for husband. He came home starving. I had to go get a prescription and a
>
> new Ezell's opened next door.
>

> Of course he was furious of the sh*t food that I brought back. Spicy
>
> chicken tenders, coleslaw, mac and cheese, BBQ beans, rolls and sweet potato
>
> pie. Everything on the menu is carb city. I did not see one thing that was
>
> not. I could not get any feedback from him on the taste of the food because
>
> he was so angry about it. Odd because this is usually the kind of food that
>
> he likes! And I did want to know about the taste because my parents said it
>
> was so horrible they wouldn't eat it again. Yet everyone else I know, raves
>
> about it.
>

> I did try the beans and was pleasantly surprised. I rarely like BBQ beans
>
> because they are too sweet and smoky tasting and have a super thick sauce.
>
> But they told that there was no meat in them. That could be why I like
>
> them. Although I do like bacon in beans. I really did like these but am
>
> sure they are loaded with carbs. The rolls look good too but I've no clue
>
> what is in them so won't try. Only other thing I saw on the menu that I
>
> might have been able to eat was corn on the cob but I had that last night
>
> and that is enough to hold me for the next 5 years or so. Nothing really
>
> against corn. Just not a fave.
>

> Daughter loved the food although she didn't try the chicken. It did look
>
> greasy. Probably won't be going there again unless I am in need of some
>
> beans and coleslaw and am on my way home from somewhere.

I'm sorry your abusive husband and piece of shit kid didn't like the food. Tell them to feed themselves. Why are you people so WEIRD????
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"tert in seattle" > wrote in message
> [...]

> This reminds me of a 100% true story from one of my literally hundreds of
> visits to Harold's Chicken Shack in Chicago, the local chain with the
> animated neon sign of a guy (must be Harold) wielding a hatchet & chasing
> a chicken. This woman takes her order back to the bullet proof window
> rotating thingy and says she wants a refund - because "these wings are
> GREASY." She didn't say they're *too* greasy - just greasy. People
> started
> smiling and looking at each other and then some guy said "man, you're at
> the wrong place!" Then everyone burst out laughing. The woman didn't get
> a refund.
>
> My problem with Ezell's is it's not greasy enough but that's probably
> because my baseline fried chicken is Harold's. And, they have some
> freakishly large wings - not quite sure what that's all about.

Ha! That's funny! They put the strips in one of those paper containers in
a paper bag but there was so much grease that it soaked clear through the
container. The entire bottom of the paper bag was soaked and it was
starting to creep up the sides. I was also amazed at how little food there
was. Only six tiny pieces of chicken that seemed to be mostly breading.
They also listed the 3 piece as a serving. Perhaps for a toddler. Here I
thought I had enough food for two days. Nope! There's perhaps 1/2 a
serving of slaw left and 2 rolls. I did buy extra rolls because the claimed
to be so good.

And the mac and cheese didn't get eaten. Daughter said it was nasty. I had
asked her if she liked it before she had taken a bite of it. It did look
rather gluey.

I was also amazed at how much precooked chicken they had under the warming
tray. Put me right off!

I did pick up a menu and see that they do sandwiches and salads. I didn't
see those listed on the menu in the store. Perhaps I will get those next
time. If there is a next time. I did like the beans but... I paid about
$32 for a meal for two, with no drinks. I can do better than that at a full
service restaurant with drinks and good vegetables!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message

> I'm sorry your abusive husband and piece of shit kid didn't like the food.
> Tell them to feed themselves. Why are you people so WEIRD????

Husband can't get up and walk around and you can refrain from calling my
child names!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> > wrote in message
>
> > I'm sorry your abusive husband and piece of shit kid didn't like the food.
> > Tell them to feed themselves. Why are you people so WEIRD????

> Husband can't get up and walk around and you can refrain from calling my
> child names!

if your husband can't get up and walk around, how does he get out of the
house so that he can come back mad
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> > wrote in message
>>
>> > I'm sorry your abusive husband and piece of shit kid didn't like the
>> > food.
>> > Tell them to feed themselves. Why are you people so WEIRD????

>> Husband can't get up and walk around and you can refrain from calling my
>> child names!

> if your husband can't get up and walk around, how does he get out of the
> house so that he can come back mad

He is going to work where he sits. But at home he is supposed to rest.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, November 11, 2013 6:59:53 PM UTC-8, wrote:
> On Monday, November 11, 2013 6:44:32 PM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:
>
> > I got this for lunch/dinner. Because of all the time I spent at the

> > hospital over the weekend, I was unable to do any grocery shopping and there

> > wasn't even time for me to stop what I was doing to heat up a Hormel entree

> > for husband. He came home starving. I had to go get a prescription and a

> > new Ezell's opened next door.

> > Of course he was furious of the sh*t food that I brought back. Spicy

> > chicken tenders, coleslaw, mac and cheese, BBQ beans, rolls and sweet potato

> > pie. Everything on the menu is carb city. I did not see one thing that was

> > not. I could not get any feedback from him on the taste of the food because

> > he was so angry about it. Odd because this is usually the kind of food that

> > he likes! And I did want to know about the taste because my parents said it

> > was so horrible they wouldn't eat it again. Yet everyone else I know, raves

> > about it.

> > I did try the beans and was pleasantly surprised. I rarely like BBQ beans

> > because they are too sweet and smoky tasting and have a super thick sauce.

> > But they told that there was no meat in them. That could be why I like

> > them. Although I do like bacon in beans. I really did like these but am

> > sure they are loaded with carbs. The rolls look good too but I've no clue

> > what is in them so won't try. Only other thing I saw on the menu that I

> > might have been able to eat was corn on the cob but I had that last night

> > and that is enough to hold me for the next 5 years or so. Nothing really

> > against corn. Just not a fave.

> > Daughter loved the food although she didn't try the chicken. It did look

> > greasy. Probably won't be going there again unless I am in need of some

> > beans and coleslaw and am on my way home from somewhere.

> I'm sorry your abusive husband and piece of shit kid didn't like the food. Tell them to feed themselves. Why are you people so WEIRD????

they're from Nebraska.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> "Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" > wrote in message

> >> Husband can't get up and walk around and you can refrain from calling my
> >> child names!

> > if your husband can't get up and walk around, how does he get out of the
> > house so that he can come back mad

> He is going to work where he sits. But at home he is supposed to rest.

can't he sit while he operates a microwave?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> "Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" > wrote in message

>> > if your husband can't get up and walk around, how does he get out of
>> > the
>> > house so that he can come back mad

>> He is going to work where he sits. But at home he is supposed to rest.

> can't he sit while he operates a microwave?

And then what? You would expect him to eat the soup right there in front of
the microwave? My point is that he would be unable to carry a hot bowl or
mug of anything from there to his recliner where he would eat it. We have a
very small kitchen and no table in it.

He could carry something packaged up with a lid on it or in a bag.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message

> they're from Nebraska.

No.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Alan wrote:

> [...]
>
> Alan

This reminds me of a 100% true story from one of my literally hundreds of
visits to Harold's Chicken Shack in Chicago, the local chain with the
animated neon sign of a guy (must be Harold) wielding a hatchet & chasing
a chicken. This woman takes her order back to the bullet proof window
rotating thingy and says she wants a refund - because "these wings are
GREASY." She didn't say they're *too* greasy - just greasy. People started
smiling and looking at each other and then some guy said "man, you're at
the wrong place!" Then everyone burst out laughing. The woman didn't get
a refund.

My problem with Ezell's is it's not greasy enough but that's probably
because my baseline fried chicken is Harold's. And, they have some
freakishly large wings - not quite sure what that's all about.

Thighs and legs are great!

Alan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" wrote in message ...

> [...]

thought I had enough food for two days. Nope! There's perhaps 1/2 a
serving of slaw left and 2 rolls. I did buy extra rolls because the claimed
to be so good.

And the mac and cheese didn't get eaten. Daughter said it was nasty. I had
asked her if she liked it before she had taken a bite of it. It did look
rather gluey.

I was also amazed at how much precooked chicken they had under the warming
tray. Put me right off!

I did pick up a menu and see that they do sandwiches and salads. I didn't
see those listed on the menu in the store. Perhaps I will get those next
time. If there is a next time. I did like the beans but... I paid about
$32 for a meal for two, with no drinks. I can do better than that at a full
service restaurant with drinks and good vegetables!

That's interesting. I once weighed them at home. The half pound order was
half pound. Not too much breading. Could be dependent upon which location we
went to.

Alan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Alan" > wrote in message

> [...]

> And the mac and cheese didn't get eaten. Daughter said it was nasty. I
> had
> asked her if she liked it before she had taken a bite of it. It did look
> rather gluey.
>
> I was also amazed at how much precooked chicken they had under the warming
> tray. Put me right off!
>
> I did pick up a menu and see that they do sandwiches and salads. I didn't
> see those listed on the menu in the store. Perhaps I will get those next
> time. If there is a next time. I did like the beans but... I paid about
> $32 for a meal for two, with no drinks. I can do better than that at a
> full
> service restaurant with drinks and good vegetables!
>
> That's interesting. I once weighed them at home. The half pound order was
> half pound. Not too much breading. Could be dependent upon which location

I also don't know if this is the real Ezell's or not. There was one by my
parent's house with the same or similar menu. Owner's last name was Ezell
but he was not related to the chain. He was forced to shut down. But he
had been in business for many years. Place used to be a KFC and is now an
Indian place.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> "Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" > wrote in message
> > In article >,

> >> He is going to work where he sits. But at home he is supposed to rest.

> > can't he sit while he operates a microwave?

> And then what? You would expect him to eat the soup right there in front of
> the microwave? My point is that he would be unable to carry a hot bowl or
> mug of anything from there to his recliner where he would eat it. We have a
> very small kitchen and no table in it.
>
> He could carry something packaged up with a lid on it or in a bag.

there you go...he can microwave something packaged with a lid on it and
then hobble to his recliner
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> "Alan" > wrote in message
> >

> > "Julie Bove" wrote in message ...

> >> This reminds me of a 100% true story from one of my literally hundreds of
> >> visits to Harold's Chicken Shack in Chicago, the local chain with the
> >> animated neon sign of a guy (must be Harold) wielding a hatchet & chasing
> >> a chicken. This woman takes her order back to the bullet proof window
> >> rotating thingy and says she wants a refund - because "these wings are
> >> GREASY." She didn't say they're *too* greasy - just greasy. People
> >> started
> >> smiling and looking at each other and then some guy said "man, you're at
> >> the wrong place!" Then everyone burst out laughing. The woman didn't
> >> get
> >> a refund.
> >>
> >> My problem with Ezell's is it's not greasy enough but that's probably
> >> because my baseline fried chicken is Harold's. And, they have some
> >> freakishly large wings - not quite sure what that's all about.

> > Ha! That's funny! They put the strips in one of those paper containers
> > in
> > a paper bag but there was so much grease that it soaked clear through the
> > container. The entire bottom of the paper bag was soaked and it was
> > starting to creep up the sides. I was also amazed at how little food
> > there
> > was. Only six tiny pieces of chicken that seemed to be mostly breading.
> > They also listed the 3 piece as a serving. Perhaps for a toddler. Here I
> > thought I had enough food for two days. Nope! There's perhaps 1/2 a
> > serving of slaw left and 2 rolls. I did buy extra rolls because the
> > claimed
> > to be so good.
> >
> > And the mac and cheese didn't get eaten. Daughter said it was nasty. I
> > had
> > asked her if she liked it before she had taken a bite of it. It did look
> > rather gluey.
> >
> > I was also amazed at how much precooked chicken they had under the warming
> > tray. Put me right off!
> >
> > I did pick up a menu and see that they do sandwiches and salads. I didn't
> > see those listed on the menu in the store. Perhaps I will get those next
> > time. If there is a next time. I did like the beans but... I paid about
> > $32 for a meal for two, with no drinks. I can do better than that at a
> > full
> > service restaurant with drinks and good vegetables!
> >
> > That's interesting. I once weighed them at home. The half pound order was
> > half pound. Not too much breading. Could be dependent upon which location
> > we went to.

> I also don't know if this is the real Ezell's or not. There was one by my
> parent's house with the same or similar menu. Owner's last name was Ezell
> but he was not related to the chain. He was forced to shut down. But he
> had been in business for many years. Place used to be a KFC and is now an
> Indian place.

The original Ezell's is in the Central District, across the street from
Garfield High School. Ezell is no longer with Ezell's, but he's opened
up his own joint on Lake City Way just south of 145th St. The SO stopped
at the latter a month or so ago.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Fuller" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> "Alan" > wrote in message

>> > Ha! That's funny! They put the strips in one of those paper
>> > containers
>> > in
>> > a paper bag but there was so much grease that it soaked clear through
>> > the
>> > container. The entire bottom of the paper bag was soaked and it was
>> > starting to creep up the sides. I was also amazed at how little food
>> > there
>> > was. Only six tiny pieces of chicken that seemed to be mostly
>> > breading.
>> > They also listed the 3 piece as a serving. Perhaps for a toddler.
>> > Here I
>> > thought I had enough food for two days. Nope! There's perhaps 1/2 a
>> > serving of slaw left and 2 rolls. I did buy extra rolls because the
>> > claimed
>> > to be so good.
>> >
>> > And the mac and cheese didn't get eaten. Daughter said it was nasty.
>> > had
>> > asked her if she liked it before she had taken a bite of it. It did
>> > look
>> > rather gluey.
>> >
>> > I was also amazed at how much precooked chicken they had under the
>> > warming
>> > tray. Put me right off!
>> >
>> > I did pick up a menu and see that they do sandwiches and salads. I
>> > didn't
>> > see those listed on the menu in the store. Perhaps I will get those
>> > next
>> > time. If there is a next time. I did like the beans but... I paid
>> > about
>> > $32 for a meal for two, with no drinks. I can do better than that at a
>> > full
>> > service restaurant with drinks and good vegetables!
>> >
>> > That's interesting. I once weighed them at home. The half pound order
>> > was
>> > half pound. Not too much breading. Could be dependent upon which
>> > location
>> > we went to.

>> I also don't know if this is the real Ezell's or not. There was one by
>> my
>> parent's house with the same or similar menu. Owner's last name was
>> Ezell
>> but he was not related to the chain. He was forced to shut down. But he
>> had been in business for many years. Place used to be a KFC and is now an
>> Indian place.

> The original Ezell's is in the Central District, across the street from
> Garfield High School. Ezell is no longer with Ezell's, but he's opened
> up his own joint on Lake City Way just south of 145th St. The SO stopped
> at the latter a month or so ago.

The one I refer to is on 196th in Edmonds or Lynnwood. Most likely it is
Lynnwood on that side of the street but not sure.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Alan" > wrote in message

> That one is called Heaven Sent. It is actually owned by Ezell Stephens. He
> has one or two more by the same name. The original Ezell's also located in
> Mill Creek, Lynwood, 2 in Renton, Kent and Tacoma.

I don't know of one in Mill Creek. The new one is in Bothell. The one in
Lynnwood has been gone for a while and is now an Indian place.

> Heaven Sent also located in Everett and Rainier Ave S.
>
> The menus at both chains are identical. Prices pretty much the same.
> Regular and spicy at both. Quality is identical.
>
> I love both. But I would reiterate, never get what was under the lamp.
> Wait for fresh fried.

They had tons under the lamp. But seeing as how they are new they are also
quite busy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking