Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Foods that use a lot of ketchup

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> > wrote in message
>> On Mon, 13 Jul 2015 06:48:11 -0700, sf > wrote:

>>>I'm not a soup lover by any means, but I like bean soup and I've never
>>>had an objection to split pea. I don't know how people can say they
>>>hate a general category when they're actually talking about a premade
>>>product in a can. I will say I hate chickpeas/garbanzos/cici beans
>>>unconditionally when they are whole and I can say that because I've
>>>eaten them both canned and reconstituted dry.

>> I hate canned soup, any canned soup. I make home-made soup even
>> though there is only me and then freeze it in single portions.
>> Quickest lunch going.

> Amen! I am not denigrating anyone here, but I get so disappointed when I
> read a US recipe and so often I find condensed soup as an ingredient I
> am sure there must be many recipes without, but I mostly seem to find the
> ones that do

It is actually hard to find recipes that don't contain the soup. I did buy
a Crockpot cookbook that has no soup in it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 13 Jul 2015 20:15:36 +0100, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>

>> > wrote in message

>> > I hate canned soup, any canned soup. I make home-made soup even
>> > though there is only me and then freeze it in single portions.
>> > Quickest lunch going.

>> Amen! I am not denigrating anyone here, but I get so disappointed when I
>> read a US recipe and so often I find condensed soup as an ingredient I
>> am
>> sure there must be many recipes without, but I mostly seem to find the
>> ones
>> that do

> Where are you finding those recipes? I subscribe to well over 100
> food blogs and I simply don't see current recipes that call for canned
> soup.

Look up a random casserole recipe online. It will have soup in it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 2015-07-13 9:48 AM, sf wrote:
>

>> I'm not a soup lover by any means, but I like bean soup and I've never
>> had an objection to split pea. I don't know how people can say they
>> hate a general category when they're actually talking about a premade
>> product in a can.

> One soup that we used to be fed a lot when I was a kid was cream of
> mushroom. That was pretty close to the bottom of my list of soup
> preferences. It would never occur to me to order it in a restaurant
> because just about anything else on the menu would have been more
> appealing, but I worked in a camp up north on summer and the chef made
> cream of mushroom soup one day. It was from a whole different planet than
> that stuff in a can.

I never ate it as soup but my mom used it a lot in casseroles.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/13/2015 3:54 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "Janet B" > wrote in message
>> On Mon, 13 Jul 2015 12:36:12 -0700, sf > wrote:

>>> Maybe they're processing them differently now, I'll give them another
>>> try sometime. Hubby loves them, so he would be happy if I started
>>> putting them in salads etc.

>>> I like tahini. I don't get a metallic flavor from it but I've never
>>> tried what is sold in jars. I like grocery store hummus, so I'd
>>> probably like the jarred stuff too. Do you like sesame seeds?

>> I like sesame seeds and use them frequently. Grocery store hummus?
>> What is that compared to jarred stuff?
>> I've made hummus and had hummus made by others, I've only tried the
>> Sabra once. I've used tahini in a couple of other things and was
>> bothered by the aftertaste. It is my taste buds and how they respond
>> to tahini. I'm going to try making hummus again without the usual
>> proportions and use less tahini and maybe more lemon juice.
>> Janet US

> I tried the Sabra and found it to be vile. Now maybe I bought an off
> batch or something but it was so bad, I never bought it again.

They're the ones that had a recall recently.

http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2015/0...contamination/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 13 Jul 2015 13:38:24 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Mon, 13 Jul 2015 14:16:19 -0600, Janet B >
>wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 13 Jul 2015 12:36:12 -0700, sf > wrote:

>> >Maybe they're processing them differently now, I'll give them another
>> >try sometime. Hubby loves them, so he would be happy if I started
>> >putting them in salads etc.

>> >I like tahini. I don't get a metallic flavor from it but I've never
>> >tried what is sold in jars. I like grocery store hummus, so I'd
>> >probably like the jarred stuff too. Do you like sesame seeds?

>> I like sesame seeds and use them frequently. Grocery store hummus?
>> What is that compared to jarred stuff?

>The grocery store hummus I buy is in the refrigerated section, brands
>like Sabra and Trader Joe's. I was talking about tahini, doesn't it
>come in jars on just on the shelves? I've only used fresh, that I
>scoop out and buy by the ounce from the refrigerated case at a co-op.

snip

O.k., I've never seen tahini in the refrigerated case at my Co-op.
I'll look for it. Thanks
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/13/2015 9:48 AM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Jul 2015 09:12:28 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:

>>> I loathe split pea soup. I even forbade a stranger next to
>>> me to order it when it was the soup of the day. It is up
>>> there with refried beans, to me. Blech.

>> It has always been one of my favourite soups, but there is a huge range
>> of the stuff. I was raised with Habitant pea soup, which I think is the
>> best commercially made split pea soup. Maybe it is because that was what
>> I was raised on. I make my own these days and it is infinitely better
>> than store bought. I always make some extra for my brother because he
>> loves it. His wife hates it with a passion.

> I'm not a soup lover by any means, but I like bean soup and I've never
> had an objection to split pea. I don't know how people can say they
> hate a general category when they're actually talking about a premade
> product in a can. I will say I hate chickpeas/garbanzos/cici beans
> unconditionally when they are whole and I can say that because I've
> eaten them both canned and reconstituted dry.

It's hard for me to understand how people can hate garbanzos, but
there you go. Something about them puts you off. That's how I
feel about split pea soup. The color, the smell, I just don't
want anything to do with it.

Yet I love lentil soup. No accounting for it.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> On 7/13/2015 4:59 PM, notbob wrote:
>> While I agree almost all canned soups are inedible, Juanita's Mexican
>> soup line is the exception. Very tasty and no carrageenan thickeners.
>> Problem is finding the right soup. Almost every sprmkt in US carries
>> Juanita's Menudo, but who likes tripe if you weren't raised on it.

> I do! I can't find Juanita's canned Menudo at the grocery store
> anymore, not even in the "Mexican" section. I'd try making it from
> scratch except I can't find tripe, either.
>
> Jill

That's sad. I was just eying a can of menudo in my pantry and telling
myself that I should consume it ere the can bursts. (The current can
isn't that old and looks fine, but I did once have a can of Juanita's
Menudo explode in my pantry.)

I also wasn't raised on tripe. Mom was an adventurous cook, but I don't
recall her cooking that. On rare occasions, I encountered an iota of it
in Campbell's pepperpot soup, but that was it. I rather like tripe and
have been known to cook it. I also order it at some Chinese restaurants
(as part of fu qi fei pian) and love encountering it or its relatives in
pho or in a Korean stew.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 13 Jul 2015 19:22:45 -0400, Nancy Young <replyto@inemail>
wrote:

> It's hard for me to understand how people can hate garbanzos, but
> there you go. Something about them puts you off.

It's a texture thing.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 13 Jul 2015 19:22:45 -0400, Nancy Young <replyto@inemail>
> wrote:
>
>> It's hard for me to understand how people can hate garbanzos, but
>> there you go. Something about them puts you off.

> It's a texture thing.
>
>> That's how I
>> feel about split pea soup. The color, the smell, I just don't
>> want anything to do with it.
>>
>> Yet I love lentil soup. No accounting for it.
>>
>> nancy

I don't dislike garbanzos but as beans go, they just don't have a lot of
flavor. The texture is fine to me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, July 12, 2015 at 1:57:56 PM UTC-4, sf wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Jul 2015 07:01:12 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
> > On Sunday, July 12, 2015 at 8:54:48 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
> >
> > > Everyone loves pea soup.

> > No. I like lots of things, but pea soup isn't one of them.
> >

> You don't like split pea soup?

I don't even like the smell of it cooking. Luckily, neither does
my husband.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, July 13, 2015 at 2:02:00 PM UTC-5, Acme Bully Control wrote:
> On 7/13/2015 1:00 PM, wrote:
>
> > I hate canned soup, any canned soup.

> Vulgur insults snipped.

For someone who thinks s/he can point out misogyny in others, you
do have a tendency to insult women using sexual terms. Why is that?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:
>sf wrote:
>>Nancy Young wrote:
>>>
>>> It's hard for me to understand how people can hate garbanzos, but
>>> there you go. Something about them puts you off.

>> It's a texture thing.
>>
>>> That's how I feel about split pea soup. The color, the smell, I just don't
>>> want anything to do with it.

That's because you haven't tasted my pea soup... and if you don't like
that shade of green try yellow peas:
http://i60.tinypic.com/2ps0dhk.jpg

>I don't dislike garbanzos but as beans go, they just don't have a lot of
>flavor.

Julie, that's because you don't cook:
http://www.thekitchn.com/15-more-way...roasted-106112

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, July 14, 2015 at 9:03:21 AM UTC-5, wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Jul 2015 06:26:22 -0700 (PDT), Michelle
> > wrote:

> >> Vulgur insults snipped.

> >For someone who thinks s/he can point out misogyny in others, you
> >do have a tendency to insult women using sexual terms. Why is that?

> I believe you have edited this to death. I don't recall making any
> vulgar insults, please repost the complete post and demonstrate where
> I was as you claim !
>
> ---

Sorry - I thought keeping the top names and the indents
kept the coherency. It's not you I was asking -
it's "Acme Bully Control".

I prefer to remove insults when possible, but in this instance
I shouldn't have, for clarity's sake.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-07-13, Nancy Young <replyto@inemail> wrote:

> It's hard for me to understand how people can hate garbanzos, but
> there you go. Something about them puts you off.

I hated 'em, at first. Knudsen usta make a 4 bean salad w/ garbanzos.
Loved the salad, but the mealy texture of garbo's put me off. I later
learned falafels and hummus, which I love, are pretty much all
garbanzos, so I hung in there until I could accept garbo's weird
texture. Now, I love 'em. I've even eaten a whole can --plain-- of
Kuner's Garbanzo Beans. Pretty tasty.

I think the change was from a recipe I've since lost. It was a simple
recipe favored by Buddist monks for garbanzos n' pork cubes inna curry
sauce. Now, one of my fave garbo's recipes is for a Moroccan tagine,
which is also a garbo bean curry, but is quite spicy. Obviously, I
prefer a pork version:

http://tinyurl.com/25e4yv2

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-07-14, > wrote:

> Now there's an idea - post your minestrone recipe and I will make a
> batch of that, nice for summer. Please/thanks

Can do!

Note that minestrone means "spring vegetables" or some such nonsense.
So, this means you can sub in any veggie you like. I sometimes add
cabbage, but always gotta have carrots n' onions. Seems I left
something outta the recipe, but can't recall what it is, now.

*************

notbob's Monster Minestrone

5-6 med carrots
2 med yel onion (or 1 lrg wht)
5-6 clv garlic
2 ozs olive oil
1 can diced tomato
5-6 C beef stock
2/3 C red wine
6-8 ozs proscuitto
1 can cannelloni or white beans (w/ juice)
3 zuchs (qrtr lngthwz, then chop bitesize)
2 bay leaves
1 T thyme
fresh basil (opt)
1 handfull small elbo macaroni
S&P (opt)

Peel and chop carrots to no larger than spoon size. Diagonal cut
looks nice. Course chop onions. Dice garlic. In OO, saute carrots,
onions, garlic till onions translucent.

Add stock, can of tomatoes, wine, proscuitto, thyme and bayleaf. Mash
half the can of beans. Do not drain liquid. That's perfectly good
bean juice!

Let simmer 15 mins or until carrots are about half done. Add zuchs.
When zuchs almost done (15-30 mins), add macaroni or other pasta you
may prefer. When pasta tender, it should be done.

NOTES: Naturally, you can use any beef stock combo you prefer, but it
must be beef. Chicken stock sucks. Veggie if you prefer, but then
it's not notbob's minestrone, is it!? I use one can of stock plus 4 C
water and T of Better'n Bullion. Note, it must be carrot heavy. More
carrots can't hurt. Only one taboo. NO celery!! Also, I discovered
years ago that it should have some proscuitto. Even cheapo US brand.
Learned that little trick at an very old Italian deli. I've since
discovered hard Italian salami will sub for the proscuitto. Makes all
the difference. Fresh basil is always better, but I can't always get
it in Winter. Not using it will not hurt this zuppa. No parsley,
sage, rosemary, Ital seasoning, etc. This is not a Simon and
Garfunkle song! A good red wine like chianti or zin, preferably, but
any good red will do. If whole thyme, rub between hands into pot.
Doneness is always determined by the tenderness of the carrots and
zukes. Skim while sim. Add water as needed.

Makes about 3-1/2 to 4-1/2 qts.

Top with parmesan cheese and serve with red wine and buttered SF
sourdough bread. Donate all remaining cans of Progresso Minestrone to
those less fortunate!

*************

Enjoy. =D
nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-07-14, > wrote:

> Now there's an idea - post your minestrone recipe and I will make a
> batch of that, nice for summer. Please/thanks

I thought I jes posted this, but do not see it. So, here it is,
again.

***************

notbob's Minestrone

5-6 med carrots
2 med yel onion (or 1 lrg wht)
5-6 clv garlic
2 ozs olive oil
1 can diced tomato
5-6 C beef stock
2/3 C red wine
6-8 ozs proscuitto
1 can cannelloni or white beans (w/ juice)
3 zuchs (qrtr lngthwz, then chop bitesize)
2 bay leaves
2 t thyme
[...]

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/14/2015 8:31 AM, Michelle wrote:
> On Tuesday, July 14, 2015 at 9:03:21 AM UTC-5, wrote:
>> On Tue, 14 Jul 2015 06:26:22 -0700 (PDT), Michelle
>> > wrote:

>>> For someone who thinks s/he can point out misogyny in others, you
>>> do have a tendency to insult women using sexual terms. Why is that?

>> I believe you have edited this to death. I don't recall making any
>> vulgar insults, please repost the complete post and demonstrate where
>> I was as you claim !
>>
>> ---

> Sorry - I thought keeping the top names and the indents
> kept the coherency. It's not you I was asking -
> it's "Acme Bully Control".

Already answered.

> I prefer to remove insults when possible, but in this instance
> I shouldn't have, for clarity's sake.

She earned them fair and square.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, July 14, 2015 at 10:03:53 AM UTC-6, Acme Bully Control wrote:
> On 7/14/2015 8:31 AM, Michelle wrote:
> > On Tuesday, July 14, 2015 at 9:03:21 AM UTC-5, wrote:
> >> On Tue, 14 Jul 2015 06:26:22 -0700 (PDT), Michelle

> >> I believe you have edited this to death. I don't recall making any
> >> vulgar insults, please repost the complete post and demonstrate where
> >> I was as you claim !
> >>
> >> ---

> > Sorry - I thought keeping the top names and the indents
> > kept the coherency. It's not you I was asking -
> > it's "Acme Bully Control".

> Already answered.
>
> > I prefer to remove insults when possible, but in this instance
> > I shouldn't have, for clarity's sake.

> She earned them fair and square.

Who in Hell do you think you are to sit in judgement on other posters?
A self appointed, self-serving, arbiter of pseudo-justice who gets in
the way of everyone posting and creates clutter and wastes bandwidth.
Begone ye varlet and infest some other forum with your crapola.
====
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 14 Jul 2015 05:59:42 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

> On Sunday, July 12, 2015 at 1:57:56 PM UTC-4, sf wrote:
> > On Sun, 12 Jul 2015 07:01:12 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > > wrote:

> > > No. I like lots of things, but pea soup isn't one of them.
> > >

> > You don't like split pea soup?

> I don't even like the smell of it cooking. Luckily, neither does
> my husband.

If that was the case, it wouldn't even be on my radar screen. You
must have been really scarred by split pea soup as a child!

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/14/2015 10:34 AM, Roy wrote:
> On Tuesday, July 14, 2015 at 10:03:53 AM UTC-6, Acme Bully Control wrote:

>>> Sorry - I thought keeping the top names and the indents
>>> kept the coherency. It's not you I was asking -
>>> it's "Acme Bully Control".

>> Already answered.
>>
>>> I prefer to remove insults when possible, but in this instance
>>> I shouldn't have, for clarity's sake.

>> She earned them fair and square.

> Who in Hell do you think you are to sit in judgement on other posters?

I am in every measurable way their better: not a Julie Bully.

> A self appointed, self-serving, arbiter of pseudo-justice who gets in
> the way of everyone posting and creates clutter and wastes bandwidth.

Oh boo ****ing hoo!

Cry me a river of your canuckleheaded crocodile tears!

> Begone ye varlet and infest some other forum with your crapola.
> ====

ESAD!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, July 6, 2015 at 9:35:24 AM UTC-10, dsi1 wrote:
> On 7/5/2015 6:40 AM, Acme Bully Control wrote:
> > On 7/4/2015 5:15 PM, dsi1 wrote:

> >> I have had Jufran. Mostly it's what the guys on the islands West of us
> >> like to use. OTOH, the bottles that I've checked recently looked
> >> funny. Translucent and gelatinous so I had to pass on them. I will be
> >> on the lookout though.
> >>

> > It's very cool tasting stuff, our bottle here are thick like ketchup.
> >
> > Perhaps yours are old?

> It might be that it's been sitting too long. The bottles of the stuff in
> the stores just don't look right. This morning I went to the store and
> checked it out again. This time I shook the bottle. This turns the
> product into what I expected - an opaque liquid with granular particles
> that coats the bottle when you move the air bubble around. I bought a
> bottle and I have great hopes that it will live up to my non-Newtonian
> expectations. Ha ha.

My bottle of Jufran has yet to return to it's translucent, semi-solid, state and it flows in a most easy-going manner. This can mean only one thing: I am blessed and God is looking down upon myself and my good works with a smile.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/0...n_6920624.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/14/2015 10:56 AM, notbob wrote:
> On 2015-07-14, > wrote:
>
>> Now there's an idea - post your minestrone recipe and I will make a
>> batch of that, nice for summer. Please/thanks

> Can do!
>
> Note that minestrone means "spring vegetables" or some such nonsense.
> So, this means you can sub in any veggie you like. I sometimes add
> cabbage, but always gotta have carrots n' onions. Seems I left
> something outta the recipe, but can't recall what it is, now.
>
> *************
>
> notbob's Monster Minestrone
>
> 5-6 med carrots
> 2 med yel onion (or 1 lrg wht)
> 5-6 clv garlic
> 2 ozs olive oil
> 1 can diced tomato
> 5-6 C beef stock
> 2/3 C red wine
> 6-8 ozs proscuitto
> 1 can cannelloni or white beans (w/ juice)
> 3 zuchs (qrtr lngthwz, then chop bitesize)
> 2 bay leaves
> 1 T thyme
> fresh basil (opt)
> 1 handfull small elbo macaroni
> S&P (opt)
>
> Peel and chop carrots to no larger than spoon size. Diagonal cut
> looks nice. Course chop onions. Dice garlic. In OO, saute carrots,
> onions, garlic till onions translucent.
>
> Add stock, can of tomatoes, wine, proscuitto, thyme and bayleaf. Mash
> half the can of beans. Do not drain liquid. That's perfectly good
> bean juice!
>
> Let simmer 15 mins or until carrots are about half done. Add zuchs.
> When zuchs almost done (15-30 mins), add macaroni or other pasta you
> may prefer. When pasta tender, it should be done.
>
> NOTES: Naturally, you can use any beef stock combo you prefer, but it
> must be beef. Chicken stock sucks. Veggie if you prefer, but then
> it's not notbob's minestrone, is it!? I use one can of stock plus 4 C
> water and T of Better'n Bullion. Note, it must be carrot heavy. More
> carrots can't hurt. Only one taboo. NO celery!! Also, I discovered
> years ago that it should have some proscuitto. Even cheapo US brand.
> Learned that little trick at an very old Italian deli. I've since
> discovered hard Italian salami will sub for the proscuitto. Makes all
> the difference. Fresh basil is always better, but I can't always get
> it in Winter. Not using it will not hurt this zuppa. No parsley,
> sage, rosemary, Ital seasoning, etc. This is not a Simon and
> Garfunkle song! A good red wine like chianti or zin, preferably, but
> any good red will do. If whole thyme, rub between hands into pot.
> Doneness is always determined by the tenderness of the carrots and
> zukes. Skim while sim. Add water as needed.
>
> Makes about 3-1/2 to 4-1/2 qts.
>
> Top with parmesan cheese and serve with red wine and buttered SF
> sourdough bread. Donate all remaining cans of Progresso Minestrone to
> those less fortunate!
>
> *************
>
> Enjoy. =D
> nb

Thanks for the recipe. I love carrots and the recipe says, "must be
carrot heavy", but too many carrots can make the broth taste overly
sweet. My question is, does that happen using this recipe? Thanks again.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 14 Jul 2015 15:42:32 -0500, Becca EmaNymton
> wrote:

> Thanks for the recipe. I love carrots and the recipe says, "must be
> carrot heavy", but too many carrots can make the broth taste overly
> sweet. My question is, does that happen using this recipe? Thanks again.

I will never grate a carrot into tomato sauce for that reason. The
first time I ate scratch tomato sauce it was almost inedible because
of how sweet the grated carrot made it.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 14 Jul 2015 15:42:32 -0500, Becca EmaNymton
> > wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the recipe. I love carrots and the recipe says, "must be
>> carrot heavy", but too many carrots can make the broth taste overly
>> sweet. My question is, does that happen using this recipe? Thanks
>> again.

> I will never grate a carrot into tomato sauce for that reason. The
> first time I ate scratch tomato sauce it was almost inedible because
> of how sweet the grated carrot made it.

I love grated or finely chopped carrot in my sauce but it has to be a very
small amount. Like 2 T. or less for about 6 servings.