Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Foods that use a lot of ketchup

On 7/5/2015 6:40 AM, Acme Bully Control wrote:
> On 7/4/2015 5:15 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>> On Saturday, July 4, 2015 at 10:40:00 AM UTC-10, Acme Bully Control
>> wrote:

>>> I have one word - Jufran!
>>>
>>> http://www.nutriasia.com/products/pr...ail/jufran&l=4

>> I have had Jufran. Mostly it's what the guys on the islands West of us
>> like to use. OTOH, the bottles that I've checked recently looked
>> funny. Translucent and gelatinous so I had to pass on them. I will be
>> on the lookout though.
>>

> It's very cool tasting stuff, our bottle here are thick like ketchup.
>
> Perhaps yours are old?

It might be that it's been sitting too long. The bottles of the stuff in
the stores just don't look right. This morning I went to the store and
checked it out again. This time I shook the bottle. This turns the
product into what I expected - an opaque liquid with granular particles
that coats the bottle when you move the air bubble around. I bought a
bottle and I have great hopes that it will live up to my non-Newtonian
expectations. Ha ha.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/5/2015 2:28 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "dsi1" > wrote in message
>>> even >> get
>>> days.

>>> for
>>> interesting.
>>> >>

>>> http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/ar...on-appetit-way

>>> day.
>>> made >> BBQ

>>> I >> do
>>> and >> that

>>> company

>>> Crockpot
>>> they >> had

>>> that >> I'm

>>> way

>>> like >> to

>>> a > lot.
>>> cooks - > but
>>> mysterious
>>>
>>> I decided to have a wee Google ...
>>>
>>> http://www.lifehacker.co.uk/2014/08/...tomato-ketchup
>>>

>>> http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/home...p-uses-catsup/
>>>
>>> http://www.thekitchn.com/ways-to-use...-kitchn-207006
>>>

>>> http://www.bhg.com/recipes/dinner/10...-with-ketchup/
>>>

>>> http://www.kitchendaily.com/read/7-u...s-uses-ketchup
>>>
>>> --
>>> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

>> Thanks for the links. I will go through them.
>>
>> I'm sorta famous in this family for my ketchup based steak sauce that
>> I've made for years. One time, I mixed up a batch in a restaurant.

> What did the chef think to that?

I was using the stuff at the table. I encourage everybody to mix up
their own sauces using what's available on the table. :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On 7/5/2015 2:28 AM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> Thanks for the links. I will go through them.
>>>
>>> I'm sorta famous in this family for my ketchup based steak sauce that
>>> I've made for years. One time, I mixed up a batch in a restaurant.

>> What did the chef think to that?
>>

> I was using the stuff at the table. I encourage everybody to mix up their
> own sauces using what's available on the table. :-)

Oh I see I thought you were teaching the chef

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/6/2015 1:35 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 7/5/2015 6:40 AM, Acme Bully Control wrote:
>> On 7/4/2015 5:15 PM, dsi1 wrote:

>>> I have had Jufran. Mostly it's what the guys on the islands West of us
>>> like to use. OTOH, the bottles that I've checked recently looked
>>> funny. Translucent and gelatinous so I had to pass on them. I will be
>>> on the lookout though.
>>>

>> It's very cool tasting stuff, our bottle here are thick like ketchup.
>>
>> Perhaps yours are old?

> It might be that it's been sitting too long. The bottles of the stuff in
> the stores just don't look right. This morning I went to the store and
> checked it out again. This time I shook the bottle. This turns the
> product into what I expected - an opaque liquid with granular particles
> that coats the bottle when you move the air bubble around. I bought a
> bottle and I have great hopes that it will live up to my non-Newtonian
> expectations. Ha ha.

Oooh it's a physics food experiment!

Hee hee
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/6/2015 1:37 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 7/5/2015 2:28 AM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> Thanks for the links. I will go through them.
>>>
>>> I'm sorta famous in this family for my ketchup based steak sauce that
>>> I've made for years. One time, I mixed up a batch in a restaurant.

>> What did the chef think to that?
>>

> I was using the stuff at the table. I encourage everybody to mix up
> their own sauces using what's available on the table. :-)

You don't have PF Chang's over that way?

They always used to offer to mix a sauce at the table, lately not so much.

https://www.pfchangs.com/

I believe the condiments to be mixed include dark rice vinegar, red
chile paste, hot mustard, etc.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/6/2015 10:04 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "dsi1" > wrote in message

>>> What did the chef think to that?
>>>

>> I was using the stuff at the table. I encourage everybody to mix up
>> their own sauces using what's available on the table. :-)

> Oh I see I thought you were teaching the chef

Teaching a chef is one thing I do not want to do. That's dangerous
grounds right there! OTOH, I did show my daughter's boyfriend how I make
pizza dough. I also gave him a recipe for custard pie that he made for
the restaurant he works for. They told him they might add it to their
menu. I don't know what became of that.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/6/2015 10:13 AM, Acme Bully Control wrote:
> On 7/6/2015 1:37 PM, dsi1 wrote:

>>> What did the chef think to that?
>>>

>> I was using the stuff at the table. I encourage everybody to mix up
>> their own sauces using what's available on the table. :-)

> You don't have PF Chang's over that way?
>
> They always used to offer to mix a sauce at the table, lately not so much.
>
> https://www.pfchangs.com/
>
> I believe the condiments to be mixed include dark rice vinegar, red
> chile paste, hot mustard, etc.

Sounds like my kind of place! Unfortunately, they're located in Waikiki.
I have to be carried kicking a screaming to venture out into the Waikiki
jungle. :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message

>>> I was using the stuff at the table. I encourage everybody to mix up
>>> their own sauces using what's available on the table. :-)

>> Oh I see I thought you were teaching the chef
>>

> Teaching a chef is one thing I do not want to do. That's dangerous grounds
> right there! OTOH, I did show my daughter's boyfriend how I make pizza
> dough. I also gave him a recipe for custard pie that he made for the
> restaurant he works for. They told him they might add it to their menu. I
> don't know what became of that.

Nevertheless, that was very kind of you

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/6/2015 2:33 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 7/6/2015 10:13 AM, Acme Bully Control wrote:

>>> I was using the stuff at the table. I encourage everybody to mix up
>>> their own sauces using what's available on the table. :-)

>> You don't have PF Chang's over that way?
>>
>> They always used to offer to mix a sauce at the table, lately not so
>> much.
>>
>> https://www.pfchangs.com/
>>
>> I believe the condiments to be mixed include dark rice vinegar, red
>> chile paste, hot mustard, etc.
>>

> Sounds like my kind of place! Unfortunately, they're located in Waikiki.
> I have to be carried kicking a screaming to venture out into the Waikiki
> jungle. :-)

Lol.

Call that man a cab!

I will say this, they're getting pricey, but what isn't?

Some of their recipes are westernized to the point of futility.

But some of them are so on the money it's brilliant.

"Northern-Style Spare Ribs

Slow-braised and dry rubbed with Chang’s five-spice seasoning"

....is not to be missed.

Also:

"Chang's Chicken Lettuce Wraps

Our signature appetizer. Wok-seared chicken, mushrooms, green onions and
water chestnuts over crispy rice sticks, with crisp lettuce cups

Salt & Pepper Prawns

Crispy prawns in aromatic spices with chili peppers, black beans, ginger
and green onions"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 7/5/2015 6:40 AM, Acme Bully Control wrote:
> > On 7/4/2015 5:15 PM, dsi1 wrote:

> > > I have had Jufran. Mostly it's what the guys on the islands West
> > > of us like to use. OTOH, the bottles that I've checked recently
> > > looked funny. Translucent and gelatinous so I had to pass on
> > > them. I will be on the lookout though.
> > >

> > It's very cool tasting stuff, our bottle here are thick like
> > ketchup.
> >
> > Perhaps yours are old?

> It might be that it's been sitting too long. The bottles of the stuff
> in the stores just don't look right. This morning I went to the store
> and checked it out again. This time I shook the bottle. This turns
> the product into what I expected - an opaque liquid with granular
> particles that coats the bottle when you move the air bubble around.
> I bought a bottle and I have great hopes that it will live up to my
> non-Newtonian expectations. Ha ha.

Smile, it's not ketcup but it looks similar. It should be much thicker
and hard to get out of the jar for one. The jar is ketchup classic
shaped pretty much so you can bang on the end.

Jufran is a brand, and I am pretty sure the one we are talking about is
the Banana sauce. They also make some other things like chile sauces.

A trick to some asian quisines is the term 'ketchup' can be very
generic and quite often doesnt mean a tomato product at all. A lot
often gets lost when those recipes are translated to english. I can't
tell you how many I run into that say '1/8ts fish sauce'. They don't
mean soy sauce, they mean patis. 1/2 a mashed anchovey is a reasonable
substitute.

Carol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/6/2015 10:54 AM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> Oh I see I thought you were teaching the chef
>>>

>> Teaching a chef is one thing I do not want to do. That's dangerous
>> grounds
>> right there! OTOH, I did show my daughter's boyfriend how I make pizza
>> dough. I also gave him a recipe for custard pie that he made for the
>> restaurant he works for. They told him they might add it to their menu. I
>> don't know what became of that.

> Nevertheless, that was very kind of you

I can't say if it was kind. OTOH, it's important that a chef learn how
to make a basic Italian/French dough. Well, that's my opinion - but it's
Awesome! :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/6/2015 11:06 AM, Acme Bully Control wrote:
> On 7/6/2015 2:33 PM, dsi1 wrote:

>>> You don't have PF Chang's over that way?
>>>
>>> They always used to offer to mix a sauce at the table, lately not so
>>> much.
>>>
>>> https://www.pfchangs.com/
>>>
>>> I believe the condiments to be mixed include dark rice vinegar, red
>>> chile paste, hot mustard, etc.
>>>

>> Sounds like my kind of place! Unfortunately, they're located in Waikiki.
>> I have to be carried kicking a screaming to venture out into the Waikiki
>> jungle. :-)

> Lol.
>
> Call that man a cab!
>
> I will say this, they're getting pricey, but what isn't?
>
> Some of their recipes are westernized to the point of futility.
>
> But some of them are so on the money it's brilliant.
>
> "Northern-Style Spare Ribs
>
> Slow-braised and dry rubbed with Chang’s five-spice seasoning"
>
> ...is not to be missed.
>
> Also:
>

> "Chang's Chicken Lettuce Wraps
>
> Our signature appetizer. Wok-seared chicken, mushrooms, green onions and
> water chestnuts over crispy rice sticks, with crisp lettuce cups
>

> Salt & Pepper Prawns
>
> Crispy prawns in aromatic spices with chili peppers, black beans, ginger
> and green onions"

All that stuff sounds great! I might go to Waikiki one day but I'm gonna
need a car that drives itself first! It's funny when a mainland chain
comes here with Asian dishes. Because they're not really Asian but
hybrids suited for people on the mainland. OTOH, that's ok because I'm
kinda tired of the usual Asian fare on this rock.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/6/2015 11:07 AM, cshenk wrote:
> dsi1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>>> It's very cool tasting stuff, our bottle here are thick like
>>> ketchup.
>>>
>>> Perhaps yours are old?

>> It might be that it's been sitting too long. The bottles of the stuff
>> in the stores just don't look right. This morning I went to the store
>> and checked it out again. This time I shook the bottle. This turns
>> the product into what I expected - an opaque liquid with granular
>> particles that coats the bottle when you move the air bubble around.
>> I bought a bottle and I have great hopes that it will live up to my
>> non-Newtonian expectations. Ha ha.

> Smile, it's not ketcup but it looks similar. It should be much thicker
> and hard to get out of the jar for one. The jar is ketchup classic
> shaped pretty much so you can bang on the end.
>
> Jufran is a brand, and I am pretty sure the one we are talking about is
> the Banana sauce. They also make some other things like chile sauces.
>
> A trick to some asian quisines is the term 'ketchup' can be very
> generic and quite often doesnt mean a tomato product at all. A lot
> often gets lost when those recipes are translated to english. I can't
> tell you how many I run into that say '1/8ts fish sauce'. They don't
> mean soy sauce, they mean patis. 1/2 a mashed anchovey is a reasonable
> substitute.
>
> Carol

I've had the product before. I've even bought some before. I'm gonna
have to think of something special to make with it. Maybe make banana
cake with it.

The Filipinos or Micronesian or Tongans that work at the hospital
probably hooked my wife up with a bottle. They always bring foods from
their islands to work. They sound like one funny crew. I heard that my
son, who works there too, wore a lava lava i.e., a skirt to work
recently. Ha ha. I sure hope I don't see him in one - the shock might be
too great for my heart.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/6/2015 3:15 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 7/6/2015 11:06 AM, Acme Bully Control wrote:

>>> Sounds like my kind of place! Unfortunately, they're located in Waikiki.
>>> I have to be carried kicking a screaming to venture out into the Waikiki
>>> jungle. :-)

>> Lol.
>>
>> Call that man a cab!
>>
>> I will say this, they're getting pricey, but what isn't?
>>
>> Some of their recipes are westernized to the point of futility.
>>
>> But some of them are so on the money it's brilliant.
>>
>> "Northern-Style Spare Ribs
>>
>> Slow-braised and dry rubbed with Chang’s five-spice seasoning"
>>
>> ...is not to be missed.
>>
>> Also:
>>

>> "Chang's Chicken Lettuce Wraps
>>
>> Our signature appetizer. Wok-seared chicken, mushrooms, green onions and
>> water chestnuts over crispy rice sticks, with crisp lettuce cups
>>

>> Salt & Pepper Prawns
>>
>> Crispy prawns in aromatic spices with chili peppers, black beans, ginger
>> and green onions"
>>

> All that stuff sounds great! I might go to Waikiki one day but I'm gonna
> need a car that drives itself first!

Goo Goo is working on that for you.

> It's funny when a mainland chain
> comes here with Asian dishes. Because they're not really Asian but
> hybrids suited for people on the mainland. OTOH, that's ok because I'm
> kinda tired of the usual Asian fare on this rock.

Once I came to terms with what Changs does I was OK with it.

Their shrimp in lobster sauce is another really tasty one.

I just tend to steer away from the sesame chicken dipped and fried style
dishes. Too cloyingly sweet for me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/6/2015 3:27 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 7/6/2015 11:07 AM, cshenk wrote:
>> dsi1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>>> It might be that it's been sitting too long. The bottles of the stuff
>>> in the stores just don't look right. This morning I went to the store
>>> and checked it out again. This time I shook the bottle. This turns
>>> the product into what I expected - an opaque liquid with granular
>>> particles that coats the bottle when you move the air bubble around.
>>> I bought a bottle and I have great hopes that it will live up to my
>>> non-Newtonian expectations. Ha ha.

>> Smile, it's not ketcup but it looks similar. It should be much thicker
>> and hard to get out of the jar for one. The jar is ketchup classic
>> shaped pretty much so you can bang on the end.
>>
>> Jufran is a brand, and I am pretty sure the one we are talking about is
>> the Banana sauce. They also make some other things like chile sauces.
>>
>> A trick to some asian quisines is the term 'ketchup' can be very
>> generic and quite often doesnt mean a tomato product at all. A lot
>> often gets lost when those recipes are translated to english. I can't
>> tell you how many I run into that say '1/8ts fish sauce'. They don't
>> mean soy sauce, they mean patis. 1/2 a mashed anchovey is a reasonable
>> substitute.
>>
>> Carol
>>

> I've had the product before. I've even bought some before. I'm gonna
> have to think of something special to make with it. Maybe make banana
> cake with it.
>
> The Filipinos or Micronesian or Tongans that work at the hospital
> probably hooked my wife up with a bottle. They always bring foods from
> their islands to work. They sound like one funny crew. I heard that my
> son, who works there too, wore a lava lava i.e., a skirt to work
> recently. Ha ha. I sure hope I don't see him in one - the shock might be
> too great for my heart.

Look what this Samoan did to the Commish:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...-roger-goodell

Never ever mess with a big guy in a lava lava ;-)

He hoisted Goodell like a sack of laundry!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/6/2015 11:43 AM, Acme Bully Control wrote:
> On 7/6/2015 3:15 PM, dsi1 wrote:

>>> Lol.
>>>
>>> Call that man a cab!
>>>
>>> I will say this, they're getting pricey, but what isn't?
>>>
>>> Some of their recipes are westernized to the point of futility.
>>>
>>> But some of them are so on the money it's brilliant.
>>>
>>> "Northern-Style Spare Ribs
>>>
>>> Slow-braised and dry rubbed with Chang’s five-spice seasoning"
>>>
>>> ...is not to be missed.
>>>
>>> Also:
>>>

>>> "Chang's Chicken Lettuce Wraps
>>>
>>> Our signature appetizer. Wok-seared chicken, mushrooms, green onions and
>>> water chestnuts over crispy rice sticks, with crisp lettuce cups
>>>

>>> Salt & Pepper Prawns
>>>
>>> Crispy prawns in aromatic spices with chili peppers, black beans, ginger
>>> and green onions"
>>>

>> All that stuff sounds great! I might go to Waikiki one day but I'm gonna
>> need a car that drives itself first!

> Goo Goo is working on that for you.

If they get that working, all sins will be forgiven my son!

>> It's funny when a mainland chain
>> comes here with Asian dishes. Because they're not really Asian but
>> hybrids suited for people on the mainland. OTOH, that's ok because I'm
>> kinda tired of the usual Asian fare on this rock.

> Once I came to terms with what Changs does I was OK with it.
>
> Their shrimp in lobster sauce is another really tasty one.
>
> I just tend to steer away from the sesame chicken dipped and fried style
> dishes. Too cloyingly sweet for me.

I'd steer away from sesame dipped fried chicken too! That sweet sauce
really chokes me up - literally!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/6/2015 11:51 AM, Acme Bully Control wrote:
> On 7/6/2015 3:27 PM, dsi1 wrote:

>>> Smile, it's not ketcup but it looks similar. It should be much thicker
>>> and hard to get out of the jar for one. The jar is ketchup classic
>>> shaped pretty much so you can bang on the end.
>>>
>>> Jufran is a brand, and I am pretty sure the one we are talking about is
>>> the Banana sauce. They also make some other things like chile sauces.
>>>
>>> A trick to some asian quisines is the term 'ketchup' can be very
>>> generic and quite often doesnt mean a tomato product at all. A lot
>>> often gets lost when those recipes are translated to english. I can't
>>> tell you how many I run into that say '1/8ts fish sauce'. They don't
>>> mean soy sauce, they mean patis. 1/2 a mashed anchovey is a reasonable
>>> substitute.
>>>
>>> Carol
>>>

>> I've had the product before. I've even bought some before. I'm gonna
>> have to think of something special to make with it. Maybe make banana
>> cake with it.
>>
>> The Filipinos or Micronesian or Tongans that work at the hospital
>> probably hooked my wife up with a bottle. They always bring foods from
>> their islands to work. They sound like one funny crew. I heard that my
>> son, who works there too, wore a lava lava i.e., a skirt to work
>> recently. Ha ha. I sure hope I don't see him in one - the shock might be
>> too great for my heart.

> Look what this Samoan did to the Commish:
>
> http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...-roger-goodell
>

> Never ever mess with a big guy in a lava lava ;-)
>
> He hoisted Goodell like a sack of laundry!

Most of the time, you're not going to call a guy wearing a lava lava a
sissy! I'd like to see it happen though! That would be great!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, July 6, 2015 at 10:56:04 AM UTC-5, Acme Bully Control wrote:
> On 7/6/2015 2:57 AM, Bryan-TGWWW wrote:

> >> Sombrero Fallout was better.

> > That had its moments, but was certainly not up there with Willard and His
> > Trophies, Dreaming of Babylon, and especially not So the Wind Won't Blow
> > It All Away, which was pure genius.
> >
> > --Bryan
> >

> I still like Revenge of the Lawn.

So, we have something in common. I assume that you are referring to the
short story more than the book. I will soon be submitting *Winter's Present*
to the Brautigan Library. After all, *Dreaming of Babylon* is a book that
Ian loves, and Winter's father, Richard does as well.
___________________________________

Winter: She remembered words she'd read in a book she'd found lying around, but didn't say them, "Don't **** up."

and

Ian: He thought about every step they'd be taking, every crunch of the former year's leaves and mused, "I'm falling into dreaming of Babylon, and there's work to be done."
___________________________________

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/6/2015 4:15 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 7/6/2015 11:51 AM, Acme Bully Control wrote:

>>> I've had the product before. I've even bought some before. I'm gonna
>>> have to think of something special to make with it. Maybe make banana
>>> cake with it.
>>>
>>> The Filipinos or Micronesian or Tongans that work at the hospital
>>> probably hooked my wife up with a bottle. They always bring foods from
>>> their islands to work. They sound like one funny crew. I heard that my
>>> son, who works there too, wore a lava lava i.e., a skirt to work
>>> recently. Ha ha. I sure hope I don't see him in one - the shock might be
>>> too great for my heart.

>> Look what this Samoan did to the Commish:
>>
>> http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...-roger-goodell
>>

>> Never ever mess with a big guy in a lava lava ;-)
>>
>> He hoisted Goodell like a sack of laundry!

> Most of the time, you're not going to call a guy wearing a lava lava a
> sissy! I'd like to see it happen though! That would be great!

LOL!

Watch some Brownies games - I suspect this man will be a total force.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, July 6, 2015 at 5:35:51 PM UTC-10, Acme Bully Control wrote:
> On 7/6/2015 4:15 PM, dsi1 wrote:

> >> Look what this Samoan did to the Commish:
> >>
> >> http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...-roger-goodell
> >>

> >> Never ever mess with a big guy in a lava lava ;-)
> >>
> >> He hoisted Goodell like a sack of laundry!

> > Most of the time, you're not going to call a guy wearing a lava lava a
> > sissy! I'd like to see it happen though! That would be great!

> LOL!
>
> Watch some Brownies games - I suspect this man will be a total force.

Putting your body in the path of one of these guys is not something you want to do - unless you're getting paid an ungodly amount of money to do it.

My understanding is that people on the mainland don't typically hug people that are non-family members. I did not know this. Things sure are different on the mainland! I typically will hug my clients although my understanding is that's considered unprofessional behavior over there. That's a pity!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> LOL!
>
> Watch some Brownies games - I suspect this man will be a total force.

Putting your body in the path of one of these guys is not something you want
to do - unless you're getting paid an ungodly amount of money to do it.

My understanding is that people on the mainland don't typically hug people
that are non-family members. I did not know this. Things sure are different
on the mainland! I typically will hug my clients although my understanding
is that's considered unprofessional behavior over there. That's a pity!

---

Depends on the person. I worked with a hugger once. I don't think most
people do hug though. At least I haven't noticed too many that do.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, July 7, 2015 at 12:13:40 AM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:

> My understanding is that people on the mainland don't typically hug people that are non-family members. I did not know this. Things sure are different on the mainland! I typically will hug my clients although my understanding is that's considered unprofessional behavior over there. That's a pity!

It varies. I used to hang with a really huggy crowd, but not so much
anymore. The only one of my company's customers that I'd consider
hugging is one who used to work here but defected to work for one
of our customer corporations. Of course, we're all engineers both
at my company and at the customers' companies, so we all tend to be a bit
standoffish. Plus, only our sales force sees them in person; it's all
e-mail and telephone contact for most of us.

There's probably regional variation, too. We Midwesterners tend to be
a trifle reserved. Honestly, I'm a little uncomfortable hugging my in-laws,
but it seems to be expected so I do it.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/7/2015 12:13 AM, dsi1 wrote:

> My understanding is that people on the mainland don't typically hug people that are non-family members. I did not know this. Things sure are different on the mainland! I typically will hug my clients although my understanding is that's considered unprofessional behavior over there. That's a pity!

In New England you'd probably send a few clients into respiratory
distress with that. It'd be fun to watch.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 7/7/2015 12:13 AM, dsi1 wrote:
>

>> My understanding is that people on the mainland don't typically hug
>> people that are non-family members. I did not know this. Things sure are
>> different on the mainland! I typically will hug my clients although my
>> understanding is that's considered unprofessional behavior over there.
>> That's a pity!
>>

> In New England you'd probably send a few clients into respiratory distress
> with that. It'd be fun to watch.

lol Not until much later years at work would I come across 'hugging' and
then not often. But then you know what the Brits are like ;-)

I hug everybody I want to now I am retired)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, July 7, 2015 at 8:26:45 AM UTC-6, Ophelia wrote:
> "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> > On 7/7/2015 12:13 AM, dsi1 wrote:
> >

> >> My understanding is that people on the mainland don't typically hug
> >> people that are non-family members. I did not know this. Things sure are
> >> different on the mainland! I typically will hug my clients although my
> >> understanding is that's considered unprofessional behavior over there.
> >> That's a pity!
> >>

> > In New England you'd probably send a few clients into respiratory distress
> > with that. It'd be fun to watch.

> lol Not until much later years at work would I come across 'hugging' and
> then not often. But then you know what the Brits are like ;-)
>
> I hug everybody I want to now I am retired)
>

> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

I find that when non-huggers meet huggers at a family event it creates many awkward moments...especially for the non-huggers. They don't know where
to put their hands or their lips. Quite funny though at times.
====

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/6/2015 10:13 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Monday, July 6, 2015 at 5:35:51 PM UTC-10, Acme Bully Control wrote:

>>> Most of the time, you're not going to call a guy wearing a lava lava a
>>> sissy! I'd like to see it happen though! That would be great!

>> LOL!
>>
>> Watch some Brownies games - I suspect this man will be a total force.

> Putting your body in the path of one of these guys is not something you want to do - unless you're getting paid an ungodly amount of money to do it.

Amen to that!

> My understanding is that people on the mainland don't typically hug people that are non-family members. I did not know this. Things sure are different on the mainland! I typically will hug my clients although my understanding is that's considered unprofessional behavior over there. That's a pity!

It is indeed, life needs a LOT more hugs!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Roy" > wrote in message
> On Tuesday, July 7, 2015 at 8:26:45 AM UTC-6, Ophelia wrote:

>> > In New England you'd probably send a few clients into respiratory
>> > distress
>> > with that. It'd be fun to watch.

>> lol Not until much later years at work would I come across 'hugging' and
>> then not often. But then you know what the Brits are like ;-)
>>
>> I hug everybody I want to now I am retired)

> I find that when non-huggers meet huggers at a family event it creates
> many awkward moments...especially for the non-huggers. They don't know
> where
> to put their hands or their lips. Quite funny though at times.
> ====

Oh yes I prefer to be the 'hugger' in that situation <weg>

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/6/2015 6:35 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "dsi1" > wrote in message
>> LOL!
>>
>> Watch some Brownies games - I suspect this man will be a total force.

> Putting your body in the path of one of these guys is not something you
> want to do - unless you're getting paid an ungodly amount of money to do
> it.
>
> My understanding is that people on the mainland don't typically hug
> people that are non-family members. I did not know this. Things sure are
> different on the mainland! I typically will hug my clients although my
> understanding is that's considered unprofessional behavior over there.
> That's a pity!
>
> ---
>
> Depends on the person. I worked with a hugger once. I don't think most
> people do hug though. At least I haven't noticed too many that do.

I didn't care much for human contact myself. This is typical for a geek.
OTOH, when I changed my job from technician to manager, I had to
reinvent myself. These days I'm hugging and kissing all over the place.
The most unexpected thing about all this is that I'm actually good at
communicating with people. My dad was always a great communicator. He
was the kind of guy that could inspire trust in people. I never thought
I would be.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/7/2015 3:30 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Tuesday, July 7, 2015 at 12:13:40 AM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
>
>> My understanding is that people on the mainland don't typically hug people that are non-family members. I did not know this. Things sure are different on the mainland! I typically will hug my clients although my understanding is that's considered unprofessional behavior over there. That's a pity!

> It varies. I used to hang with a really huggy crowd, but not so much
> anymore. The only one of my company's customers that I'd consider
> hugging is one who used to work here but defected to work for one
> of our customer corporations. Of course, we're all engineers both
> at my company and at the customers' companies, so we all tend to be a bit
> standoffish. Plus, only our sales force sees them in person; it's all
> e-mail and telephone contact for most of us.
>
> There's probably regional variation, too. We Midwesterners tend to be
> a trifle reserved. Honestly, I'm a little uncomfortable hugging my in-laws,
> but it seems to be expected so I do it.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

It was a person from the Midwest that told me that where he's from
hugging is considered unprofessional. He was a private investigator that
did background checks so I guess his profession had something to do with
it too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/7/2015 4:21 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 7/7/2015 12:13 AM, dsi1 wrote:
>

>> My understanding is that people on the mainland don't typically hug
>> people that are non-family members. I did not know this. Things sure
>> are different on the mainland! I typically will hug my clients
>> although my understanding is that's considered unprofessional behavior
>> over there. That's a pity!
>>

> In New England you'd probably send a few clients into respiratory
> distress with that. It'd be fun to watch.

This is very useful information.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, July 7, 2015 at 7:07:10 AM UTC-10, Acme Bully Control wrote:
> On 7/6/2015 10:13 PM, dsi1 wrote:

> >> LOL!
> >>
> >> Watch some Brownies games - I suspect this man will be a total force.

> > Putting your body in the path of one of these guys is not something you want to do - unless you're getting paid an ungodly amount of money to do it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>dsi1 wrote:
>
>>My understanding is that people on the mainland don't typically hug people
>>that are non-family members. I did not know this. Things sure are different
>>on the mainland! I typically will hug my clients although my understanding is
>>that's considered unprofessional behavior over there. That's a pity!

>In New England you'd probably send a few clients into respiratory
>distress with that. It'd be fun to watch.

I'm not into public hugging at all, I don't hug strangers and I don't
like hugging family members either, and I definitely don't hug any
males... I feel uncomfortable hugging most females too because I
always consider hugging a very intimate sexual expression... I don't
feel uncomforatable shaking a female's hand but pressing her boobs and
loins up against me takes me to a whole nother place, for me that's
not a greeting, that's a proposition. I consider strangers hugging in
a public setting more than rude, I consider that a psychological
assault. I've tended to avoid affairs where there's dancing,
especially if there's also drinking, unless I have a date. A lot of
women love to dance and their husbands don't but I'm a pretty good
dancer... without going into details lets just say when a lot of women
have a drink too many and it's their kind of music things have gotten
more intimate than is proper in public. I don't see anything neutral
about hugging... you want to say hello shake hands, hugging is too
affectionate, way over the line.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message

>> It is indeed, life needs a LOT more hugs!

> We're one big happy family. The young people call their elders "uncle"
> or "auntie" so we do have a tendency to treat others as clan members here.
> I suspect it's the same way on all the little rocks across the Pacific.

That's how it used to be here, but now the youngsters call their seniors by
their first names. It is not an improvement.

> My wife's auntie came over from Washington state last week. Boy was she
> full of hugs and kisses. She was quite a jolly sort. It was not what I was
> expecting because her son died about 2 months ago. I thought that was
> curious but I don't really know her that well. Boy, life is one dangerous
> place - any one of us can go at any time!

It was probably a great comfort to her after the loss of her son.

Hugging here is not normally a 'close' thing with folk we don't know. It is
on a par with 'air kissing' )

http://www.wikihow.com/Air-Kiss

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...s-social-group

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/7/2015 12:07 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 7/7/2015 3:30 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> On Tuesday, July 7, 2015 at 12:13:40 AM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
>>
>>> My understanding is that people on the mainland don't typically hug
>>> people that are non-family members. I did not know this. Things sure
>>> are different on the mainland! I typically will hug my clients
>>> although my understanding is that's considered unprofessional
>>> behavior over there. That's a pity!

>> It varies. I used to hang with a really huggy crowd, but not so much
>> anymore. The only one of my company's customers that I'd consider
>> hugging is one who used to work here but defected to work for one
>> of our customer corporations. Of course, we're all engineers both
>> at my company and at the customers' companies, so we all tend to be a bit
>> standoffish. Plus, only our sales force sees them in person; it's all
>> e-mail and telephone contact for most of us.
>>
>> There's probably regional variation, too. We Midwesterners tend to be
>> a trifle reserved. Honestly, I'm a little uncomfortable hugging my
>> in-laws,
>> but it seems to be expected so I do it.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton
>>

> It was a person from the Midwest that told me that where he's from
> hugging is considered unprofessional. He was a private investigator that
> did background checks so I guess his profession had something to do with
> it too.

Did Jim Rockford give hugs?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/7/2015 1:24 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Tuesday, July 7, 2015 at 7:07:10 AM UTC-10, Acme Bully Control wrote:

>>> Putting your body in the path of one of these guys is not something you want to do - unless you're getting paid an ungodly amount of money to do it.

>> Amen to that!
>>
>>> My understanding is that people on the mainland don't typically hug people that are non-family members. I did not know this. Things sure are different on the mainland! I typically will hug my clients although my understanding is that's considered unprofessional behavior over there. That's a pity!

>> It is indeed, life needs a LOT more hugs!

> We're one big happy family. The young people call their elders "uncle" or "auntie" so we do have a tendency to treat others as clan members here. I suspect it's the same way on all the little rocks across the Pacific.

Nice!

> My wife's auntie came over from Washington state last week. Boy was she full of hugs and kisses. She was quite a jolly sort. It was not what I was expecting because her son died about 2 months ago. I thought that was curious but I don't really know her that well. Boy, life is one dangerous place - any one of us can go at any time!

And yet the ones that need to seem to hang around too long ;-(

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/7/2015 1:37 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> I don't
> feel uncomforatable shaking a female's hand but pressing her boobs and
> loins up against me takes me to a whole nother place, for me that's
> not a greeting, that's a proposition.

Keep dreaming little man!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/7/2015 3:37 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> dsi1 wrote:
>>
>>> My understanding is that people on the mainland

dsi1, please ttop talking about the "mainland" as if Hawaii is not part
of the USA. It is. Maybe you should venture out.

> I'm not into public hugging at all, I don't hug strangers and I don't
> like hugging family members either, and I definitely don't hug any
> males... I feel uncomfortable hugging most females too because I
> always consider hugging a very intimate sexual expression... I don't
> feel uncomforatable shaking a female's hand but pressing her boobs and
> loins up against me takes me to a whole nother place, for me that's
> not a greeting, that's a proposition.

You dream about this, don't you Sheldon? I'm sure most females avoid
hugging you, too. God knows you might find a reason to feel their
boobs. Get over it. No one wants you to feel them up.

> I consider strangers hugging in
> a public setting more than rude, I consider that a psychological
> assault. I've tended to avoid affairs where there's dancing,
> especially if there's also drinking, unless I have a date.

Yeah, you have lots of dates.

> A lot of women love to dance and their husbands don't but I'm a pretty good
> dancer... without going into details lets just say when a lot of women
> have a drink too many and it's their kind of music things have gotten
> more intimate than is proper in public.

Please keep dreaming.

> I don't see anything neutral
> about hugging... you want to say hello shake hands, hugging is too
> affectionate, way over the line.

No one would be *that* affectionate with you. I have seen people hug
when they have done something nice for someone else. People don't have
to be involved in a sexual relationship to give someone a quick hug.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/7/2015 2:53 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 7/7/2015 3:37 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> dsi1, please ttop talking about the "mainland" as if Hawaii is not part
> of the USA. It is. Maybe you should venture out.

I've lived on the mainland and have seen how things are. I'm all too
familiar with how it all goes down there. The reality is that Hawaii and
the mainland are worlds apart.

>> I'm not into public hugging at all, I don't hug strangers and I don't
>> like hugging family members either, and I definitely don't hug any
>> males... I feel uncomfortable hugging most females too because I
>> always consider hugging a very intimate sexual expression... I don't
>> feel uncomforatable shaking a female's hand but pressing her boobs and
>> loins up against me takes me to a whole nother place, for me that's
>> not a greeting, that's a proposition.

> You dream about this, don't you Sheldon? I'm sure most females avoid
> hugging you, too. God knows you might find a reason to feel their
> boobs. Get over it. No one wants you to feel them up.
>
>> I consider strangers hugging in
>> a public setting more than rude, I consider that a psychological
>> assault. I've tended to avoid affairs where there's dancing,
>> especially if there's also drinking, unless I have a date.

> Yeah, you have lots of dates.
>
>> A lot of women love to dance and their husbands don't but I'm a
>> pretty good
>> dancer... without going into details lets just say when a lot of women
>> have a drink too many and it's their kind of music things have gotten
>> more intimate than is proper in public.

> Please keep dreaming.
>
>> I don't see anything neutral
>> about hugging... you want to say hello shake hands, hugging is too
>> affectionate, way over the line.
>>

> No one would be *that* affectionate with you. I have seen people hug
> when they have done something nice for someone else. People don't have
> to be involved in a sexual relationship to give someone a quick hug.
>
> Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/7/2015 8:53 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 7/7/2015 3:37 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> dsi1, please ttop talking about the "mainland" as if Hawaii is not part
> of the USA. It is. Maybe you should venture out.

I've always heard of the continental 48 states referred to as
"mainland". The culture is much different that what we have. How would
you differentiate? We talk about southern states, left coast, northern,
etc.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 7/7/2015 8:53 PM, jmcquown wrote:

>> dsi1, please ttop talking about the "mainland" as if Hawaii is not part
>> of the USA. It is. Maybe you should venture out.
>>>

> I've always heard of the continental 48 states referred to as "mainland".
> The culture is much different that what we have. How would you
> differentiate? We talk about southern states, left coast, northern, etc.

Agree. Alaska has many differences as well. I had a friend from Hawaii and
she had to learn to adjust to the foods that we had here.