Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Foods that use a lot of ketchup

On Mon, 13 Jul 2015 20:15:36 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

> > wrote in message
> > On Mon, 13 Jul 2015 06:48:11 -0700, sf > wrote:

> >>I'm not a soup lover by any means, but I like bean soup and I've never
> >>had an objection to split pea. I don't know how people can say they
> >>hate a general category when they're actually talking about a premade
> >>product in a can. I will say I hate chickpeas/garbanzos/cici beans
> >>unconditionally when they are whole and I can say that because I've
> >>eaten them both canned and reconstituted dry.

> > I hate canned soup, any canned soup. I make home-made soup even
> > though there is only me and then freeze it in single portions.
> > Quickest lunch going.

> Amen! I am not denigrating anyone here, but I get so disappointed when I
> read a US recipe and so often I find condensed soup as an ingredient I am
> sure there must be many recipes without, but I mostly seem to find the ones
> that do

Where are you finding those recipes? I subscribe to well over 100
food blogs and I simply don't see current recipes that call for canned
soup.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-07-13 12:47 PM, Janet B wrote:

> I will say I hate chickpeas/garbanzos/cici beans
>> unconditionally when they are whole and I can say that because I've
>> eaten them both canned and reconstituted dry.

They were a foreign food to me for a long time, but then I discovered
then at salad bars. A salad light on lettuce with some tomato,
cucumber, onion, chick peas and croutons with bacon bits and blue cheese
dressing is really good.... IMO.

> That was my feeling too. Until yesterday. I ate some drained and
> rinsed, right out of the can. They are really very decent. I don't
> get hummus. I think it would be really good without the tahini. The
> tahini tastes metallic to me and ruins the humus.

I tried hummus a number of times and never saw the attraction. I once
had a sample in the grocery store and thought they would be wise not to
let people sample it because they would be better off if people just
bought it once and never got it again rather than trying it and not
buying it at all. Then I had hummus as a middle eastern restaurant and
I was wowed by the hummus. I started making my own. It is really easy
to make and you can adjust it to your taste. FWIW... the tahini is an
important component.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/13/2015 9:15 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> > wrote in message
>> On Mon, 13 Jul 2015 06:48:11 -0700, sf > wrote:
>>
>>> On Mon, 13 Jul 2015 09:12:28 -0400, Dave Smith

>>> I'm not a soup lover by any means, but I like bean soup and I've never
>>> had an objection to split pea. I don't know how people can say they
>>> hate a general category when they're actually talking about a premade
>>> product in a can. I will say I hate chickpeas/garbanzos/cici beans
>>> unconditionally when they are whole and I can say that because I've
>>> eaten them both canned and reconstituted dry.

>> I hate canned soup, any canned soup. I make home-made soup even
>> though there is only me and then freeze it in single portions.
>> Quickest lunch going.

> Amen! I am not denigrating anyone here, but I get so disappointed when
> I read a US recipe and so often I find condensed soup as an
> ingredient I am sure there must be many recipes without, but I mostly
> seem to find the ones that do

Cooking with condensed soup is what American cooks unabashedly did
during the 60's. I don't think it's a popular thing to do in these
modern times. OTOH, there are exceptions like green bean casserole in
which canned soup should be used to remain faithful to the traditional
recipe.

When I was I kid, I'd stuff a flank steak with canned beef vegetable
soup and braise it. It seemed like a fancy thing to do. I wouldn't do it
these days because frankly, the very idea makes me ill and besides, have
you seen the prices on flank steak these days?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 13 Jul 2015 10:25:30 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

> On Monday, July 13, 2015 at 5:23:19 AM UTC-10, sf wrote:
> > On Mon, 13 Jul 2015 02:21:11 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > I think it's grand but I can't say if people on the mainland are that much into it. I'm guessing that they probably wouldn't be eating it for breakfast. I did, however, place two fried eggs on the top.

> > Fried rice is fine and people on the mainland eat it. I used to make
> > it more often than I do now and breakfast sounds like as good a meal
> > as any to eat it. The part of your breakfast that didn't appeal to me
> > was the kimchi, but I didn't feel compelled to post a reply just to
> > say tell you the part I don't like about what was an enjoyable meal
> > for you.
> >
> > --
> >
> > sf

> It would be great for me if I were able to go to a restaurant on the mainland and order a plate of kim chee fried rice with 2 eggs for breakfast. Unfortunately, I don't believe things have reached that point yet,

Maybe you could get it if you went to the West instead of East. We
have Hawaiian eateries here, but I don't know how many serve
breakfast. Apparently kimchi from a jar is pretty good, I only say
that because jarred kimchi got a positive comment from a judge on Beat
Bobby Flay this weekend.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/14/2015 4:41 AM, Acme Bully Control wrote:
> On 7/12/2015 11:39 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>> On Friday, July 3, 2015 at 8:49:19 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:
>>> Long story short, I have two open bottles of ketchup. I won't even

> Oh snap!
>
> Why was I not invited?

FRAUD!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 13 Jul 2015 10:21:51 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

> On Monday, July 13, 2015 at 5:16:46 AM UTC-10, sf wrote:
> > On Sun, 12 Jul 2015 22:39:10 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > The fried rice included pastele sausage

> > This is the first time I've heard of pastele sausage. Is it a brand
> > name or a type of sausage? Pastele seems to be a Puerto Rican stew
> > that is made with or without sausage. The post that indicated it
> > might be Portuguese ended up being a taste test of various brands of
> > linguiça (which is one of my favorite sausages).
> >
> > I also found recipes for pastele sausage. One of them indicated that
> > "banana" is actually plantain. Is that true?
> > http://www.ilovehawaiianfoodrecipes....ipes/pasteles/
> >
> > --
> >
> > sf

> The pastele is a Puerto Rican tamale except the masa is replaced with grated green plantain and it's wrapped in a banana leaf instead of corn husks. The pastele sausage is made by a local sausage company and sorta copies the taste of a pastele in a sausage. It gets worse - we also have a pastele stew that is sorta supposed to taste like a pastele but I can't say if they make that in Puerto Rico.
>
> http://tastyislandhawaii.com/2007/07...rizo-sausages/

Thanks, I saw that before I posted. Your description is a lot better
than any I found, thanks.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-07-13 9:48 AM, sf wrote:

> I'm not a soup lover by any means, but I like bean soup and I've never
> had an objection to split pea. I don't know how people can say they
> hate a general category when they're actually talking about a premade
> product in a can.

One soup that we used to be fed a lot when I was a kid was cream of
mushroom. That was pretty close to the bottom of my list of soup
preferences. It would never occur to me to order it in a restaurant
because just about anything else on the menu would have been more
appealing, but I worked in a camp up north on summer and the chef made
cream of mushroom soup one day. It was from a whole different planet
than that stuff in a can.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/13/2015 1:15 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> > wrote in message
>> On Mon, 13 Jul 2015 06:48:11 -0700, sf > wrote:
>>
>>> On Mon, 13 Jul 2015 09:12:28 -0400, Dave Smith

>>> I'm not a soup lover by any means, but I like bean soup and I've never
>>> had an objection to split pea. I don't know how people can say they
>>> hate a general category when they're actually talking about a premade
>>> product in a can. I will say I hate chickpeas/garbanzos/cici beans
>>> unconditionally when they are whole and I can say that because I've
>>> eaten them both canned and reconstituted dry.

>> I hate canned soup, any canned soup. I make home-made soup even
>> though there is only me and then freeze it in single portions.
>> Quickest lunch going.

> Amen! I am not denigrating anyone here, but I get so disappointed when
> I read a US recipe and so often I find condensed soup as an
> ingredient I am sure there must be many recipes without, but I mostly
> seem to find the ones that do

Condensed soup is good stuff, go with it!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/14/2015 3:25 AM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Monday, July 13, 2015 at 5:23:19 AM UTC-10, sf wrote:
>> On Mon, 13 Jul 2015 02:21:11 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I think it's grand but I can't say i

Jeb Bush personally lobbied the secretary of health and human services
while his father was vice president on behalf of a hospital executive
who would later be accused of defrauding the government of hundreds of
millions of Medicare dollars, The Huffington Post has confirmed.

Miguel Recarey, head of International Medical Centers (IMC), also paid
Bush $75,000 in the mid-1980s, money that Bush acknowledges receiving
but says was tendered for real estate consultation.

With the GOP presidential campaign now focused on Tuesday’s Florida
primary, attention has turned to Jeb Bush, the popular former Florida
governor, as observers analyze his every move for signs of a possible
endorsement — or wonder whether Bush himself will wind up the nominee
after a brokered political convention.
In 1992, as his father, President George H.W. Bush, ran for reelection,
Jeb Bush denied having reached out to HHS Secretary Margaret Heckler on
Recarey’s behalf, a denial he maintains through a spokeswoman to this
day. Bush said that he only spoke to a lower-level HHS official to ask
that Recarey be given a “fair hearing” with regard to his application to
renew a waiver that allowed IMC to receive more than 50 percent of its
revenue from Medicare. (The waiver had been granted as part of an HMO
pilot project that was set to expire. The renewal was ultimately not
granted.)

But now former Secretary Heckler herself, in an interview with HuffPost,
has confirmed that Jeb Bush lobbied her, that she was in favor of
renewing the waiver (although she left office before doing so) and that
his input played a major role in her thinking.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/13/2015 1:41 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> They were a foreign food to me for a long time, but then I discovered
> then at salad bars.

The same ones where you choke women?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/13/2015 1:42 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 7/13/2015 9:15 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> > wrote in message

>>> I hate canned soup, any canned soup. I make home-made soup even
>>> though there is only me and then freeze it in single portions.
>>> Quickest lunch going.

>> Amen! I am not denigrating anyone here, but I get so disappointed when
>> I read a US recipe and so often I find condensed soup as an
>> ingredient I am sure there must be many recipes without, but I mostly
>> seem to find the ones that do
>>

> Cooking with condensed soup is what American cooks unabashedly did
> during the 60's. I don't think it's a popular thing to do in these
> modern times. OTOH, there are exceptions like green bean casserole in
> which canned soup should be used to remain faithful to the traditional
> recipe.

Damned straight!

And Durkee fried onions too!

> When I was I kid, I'd stuff a flank steak with canned beef vegetable
> soup and braise it. It seemed like a fancy thing to do. I wouldn't do it
> these days because frankly, the very idea makes me ill and besides, have
> you seen the prices on flank steak these days?

You need to use Pepperidge Farm, stuffing.

Trust me on this...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/13/2015 1:43 PM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Jul 2015 10:25:30 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
> wrote:
>
>> On Monday, July 13, 2015 at 5:23:19 AM UTC-10, sf wrote:

>>> Fried rice is fine and people on the mainland eat it. I used to make
>>> it more often than I do now and breakfast sounds like as good a meal
>>> as any to eat it. The part of your breakfast that didn't appeal to me
>>> was the kimchi, but I didn't feel compelled to post a reply just to
>>> say tell you the part I don't like about what was an enjoyable meal
>>> for you.
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> sf

>> It would be great for me if I were able to go to a restaurant on the mainland and order a plate of kim chee fried rice with 2 eggs for breakfast. Unfortunately, I don't believe things have reached that point yet,

> Maybe you could get it if you went to the West instead of East. We
> have Hawaiian eateries here, but I don't know how many serve
> breakfast. Apparently kimchi from a jar is pretty good, I only say
> that because jarred kimchi got a positive comment from a judge on Beat
> Bobby Flay this weekend.

Wait...they have a show where someone actually BEATS Bobby Flay?

Must see TV!

;-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/13/2015 1:44 PM, Acme Bully Control wrote:
> On 7/14/2015 4:41 AM, Acme Bully Control wrote:

>> Oh snap!
>>
>> Why was I not invited?

> FRAUD!

JETHRO BODINE FRAUD!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/13/2015 1:45 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> One soup that we used to be fed a lot when I was a kid was cream of
> mushroom.

And look how YOU turned out, woman-choker.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/13/2015 1:56 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> As I said in another post, after being raised on canned soup I just
> wasn't a fan of soup. My mother was a really good cook

So good she chose to raise you on canned soup- LOLOLOL!!!

Yeah buddy!

Eh?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 13 Jul 2015 12:36:12 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Mon, 13 Jul 2015 10:47:58 -0600, Janet B >
>wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 13 Jul 2015 06:48:11 -0700, sf > wrote:

>> snip
>> I will say I hate chickpeas/garbanzos/cici beans
>> >unconditionally when they are whole and I can say that because I've
>> >eaten them both canned and reconstituted dry.

>> That was my feeling too. Until yesterday. I ate some drained and
>> rinsed, right out of the can. They are really very decent.

>Maybe they're processing them differently now, I'll give them another
>try sometime. Hubby loves them, so he would be happy if I started
>putting them in salads etc.
>
>> I don't
>> get hummus. I think it would be really good without the tahini. The
>> tahini tastes metallic to me and ruins the humus.

>I like tahini. I don't get a metallic flavor from it but I've never
>tried what is sold in jars. I like grocery store hummus, so I'd
>probably like the jarred stuff too. Do you like sesame seeds?

I like sesame seeds and use them frequently. Grocery store hummus?
What is that compared to jarred stuff?
I've made hummus and had hummus made by others, I've only tried the
Sabra once. I've used tahini in a couple of other things and was
bothered by the aftertaste. It is my taste buds and how they respond
to tahini. I'm going to try making hummus again without the usual
proportions and use less tahini and maybe more lemon juice.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/13/2015 9:43 AM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Jul 2015 10:25:30 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
> wrote:
>
>> On Monday, July 13, 2015 at 5:23:19 AM UTC-10, sf wrote:

>>> Fried rice is fine and people on the mainland eat it. I used to make
>>> it more often than I do now and breakfast sounds like as good a meal
>>> as any to eat it. The part of your breakfast that didn't appeal to me
>>> was the kimchi, but I didn't feel compelled to post a reply just to
>>> say tell you the part I don't like about what was an enjoyable meal
>>> for you.
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> sf

>> It would be great for me if I were able to go to a restaurant on the mainland and order a plate of kim chee fried rice with 2 eggs for breakfast. Unfortunately, I don't believe things have reached that point yet,

> Maybe you could get it if you went to the West instead of East. We
> have Hawaiian eateries here, but I don't know how many serve
> breakfast. Apparently kimchi from a jar is pretty good, I only say
> that because jarred kimchi got a positive comment from a judge on Beat
> Bobby Flay this weekend.

The locals mostly eat store bought kim chee. The only people that would
make their own would be people who were raised on the stuff i.e., FOB
Koreans. I like to buy the Korean style kim chee but the most popular
type would be a Hawaiian kine - mild kim chee.

My wife likes the kim chee that the guy at the mall food court makes:
it's just like her mom's kim chee. I like it too although it has a
strange taste of acetone in it. All the good Korean style kim chee seem
to have it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 13 Jul 2015 15:41:40 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2015-07-13 12:47 PM, Janet B wrote:
>
>> I will say I hate chickpeas/garbanzos/cici beans
>>> unconditionally when they are whole and I can say that because I've
>>> eaten them both canned and reconstituted dry.

>They were a foreign food to me for a long time, but then I discovered
>then at salad bars. A salad light on lettuce with some tomato,
>cucumber, onion, chick peas and croutons with bacon bits and blue cheese
>dressing is really good.... IMO.
>

>> That was my feeling too. Until yesterday. I ate some drained and
>> rinsed, right out of the can. They are really very decent. I don't
>> get hummus. I think it would be really good without the tahini. The
>> tahini tastes metallic to me and ruins the humus.

>I tried hummus a number of times and never saw the attraction. I once
>had a sample in the grocery store and thought they would be wise not to
>let people sample it because they would be better off if people just
>bought it once and never got it again rather than trying it and not
>buying it at all. Then I had hummus as a middle eastern restaurant and
>I was wowed by the hummus. I started making my own. It is really easy
>to make and you can adjust it to your taste. FWIW... the tahini is an
>important component.

Yeah, I get the importance of tahini. What is it that you liked about
the restaurant hummus and your hummus? What do you do to make it
special?
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/13/2015 2:18 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 7/13/2015 9:43 AM, sf wrote:
>> On Mon, 13 Jul 2015 10:25:30 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
>> wrote:

>>> It would be great for me if I were able to go to a restaurant on the
>>> mainland and order a plate of kim chee fried rice with 2 eggs for
>>> breakfast. Unfortunately, I don't believe things have reached that
>>> point yet,

>> Maybe you could get it if you went to the West instead of East. We
>> have Hawaiian eateries here, but I don't know how many serve
>> breakfast. Apparently kimchi from a jar is pretty good, I only say
>> that because jarred kimchi got a positive comment from a judge on Beat
>> Bobby Flay this weekend.
>>

> The locals mostly eat store bought kim chee. The only people that would
> make their own would be people who were raised on the stuff i.e., FOB
> Koreans. I like to buy the Korean style kim chee but the most popular
> type would be a Hawaiian kine - mild kim chee.
>
> My wife likes the kim chee that the guy at the mall food court makes:
> it's just like her mom's kim chee. I like it too although it has a
> strange taste of acetone in it. All the good Korean style kim chee seem
> to have it.

Mm tasty acetone!

I also like mineral spirits, though mainly in gin ;-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/13/2015 9:44 AM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Jul 2015 10:21:51 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
> wrote:
>
>> On Monday, July 13, 2015 at 5:16:46 AM UTC-10, sf wrote:

>>> This is the first time I've heard of pastele sausage. Is it a brand
>>> name or a type of sausage? Pastele seems to be a Puerto Rican stew
>>> that is made with or without sausage. The post that indicated it
>>> might be Portuguese ended up being a taste test of various brands of
>>> linguiça (which is one of my favorite sausages).
>>>
>>> I also found recipes for pastele sausage. One of them indicated that
>>> "banana" is actually plantain. Is that true?
>>> http://www.ilovehawaiianfoodrecipes....ipes/pasteles/
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> sf

>> The pastele is a Puerto Rican tamale except the masa is replaced with grated green plantain and it's wrapped in a banana leaf instead of corn husks. The pastele sausage is made by a local sausage company and sorta copies the taste of a pastele in a sausage. It gets worse - we also have a pastele stew that is sorta supposed to taste like a pastele but I can't say if they make that in Puerto Rico.
>>
>> http://tastyislandhawaii.com/2007/07...rizo-sausages/

> Thanks, I saw that before I posted. Your description is a lot better
> than any I found, thanks.

Oddly enough, people sell pastele on the side of the road here. It's a
pretty random thing that happens on this rock.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/13/2015 2:21 PM, Janet B wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Jul 2015 15:41:40 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
>> On 2015-07-13 12:47 PM, Janet B wrote:
>>
>>> I will say I hate chickpeas/garbanzos/cici beans
>>>

>> They were a foreign food to me for a long time, but then I discovered
>> then at salad bars. A salad light on lettuce with some tomato,
>> cucumber, onion, chick peas and croutons with bacon bits and blue cheese
>> dressing is really good.... IMO.
>>

>>> That was my feeling too. Until yesterday. I ate some drained and
>>> rinsed, right out of the can. They are really very decent. I don't
>>> get hummus. I think it would be really good without the tahini. The
>>> tahini tastes metallic to me and ruins the humus.

>> I tried hummus a number of times and never saw the attraction. I once
>> had a sample in the grocery store and thought they would be wise not to
>> let people sample it because they would be better off if people just
>> bought it once and never got it again rather than trying it and not
>> buying it at all. Then I had hummus as a middle eastern restaurant and
>> I was wowed by the hummus. I started making my own. It is really easy
>> to make and you can adjust it to your taste. FWIW... the tahini is an
>> important component.
>>

> Yeah, I get the importance of tahini. What is it that you liked about
> the restaurant hummus and your hummus? What do you do to make it
> special?
> Janet US

I send my tahini gift boxes from Dan's Chocolates.

It doesn't make it special, it just makes it FEEL special.

;-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/13/2015 2:24 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 7/13/2015 9:44 AM, sf wrote:
>> On Mon, 13 Jul 2015 10:21:51 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
>> wrote:

>>> The pastele is a Puerto Rican tamale except the masa is replaced with
>>> grated green plantain and it's wrapped in a banana leaf instead of
>>> corn husks. The pastele sausage is made by a local sausage company
>>> and sorta copies the taste of a pastele in a sausage. It gets worse -
>>> we also have a pastele stew that is sorta supposed to taste like a
>>> pastele but I can't say if they make that in Puerto Rico.
>>>
>>> http://tastyislandhawaii.com/2007/07...rizo-sausages/
>>>

>> Thanks, I saw that before I posted. Your description is a lot better
>> than any I found, thanks.
>>

> Oddly enough, people sell pastele on the side of the road here. It's a
> pretty random thing that happens on this rock.

Your rock...rocks!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/13/2015 9:51 AM, Acme Bully Control wrote:

>>> Amen! I am not denigrating anyone here, but I get so disappointed when
>>> I read a US recipe and so often I find condensed soup as an
>>> ingredient I am sure there must be many recipes without, but I mostly
>>> seem to find the ones that do
>>>

>> Cooking with condensed soup is what American cooks unabashedly did
>> during the 60's. I don't think it's a popular thing to do in these
>> modern times. OTOH, there are exceptions like green bean casserole in
>> which canned soup should be used to remain faithful to the traditional
>> recipe.
>>

> Damned straight!
>
> And Durkee fried onions too!

That is good stuff - I can't say that I like green bean casserole but I
don't mind it every once in a while, but only if you serve me the top
1/2" or so. Hee hee.

>> When I was I kid, I'd stuff a flank steak with canned beef vegetable
>> soup and braise it. It seemed like a fancy thing to do. I wouldn't do it
>> these days because frankly, the very idea makes me ill and besides, have
>> you seen the prices on flank steak these days?

> You need to use Pepperidge Farm, stuffing.
>
> Trust me on this...

That could be do-able. OTOH, stuffing a flank steak with soup is
something that could only have existed in the 60's.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 13 Jul 2015 14:16:19 -0600, Janet B >
wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Jul 2015 12:36:12 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
> >On Mon, 13 Jul 2015 10:47:58 -0600, Janet B >
> >wrote:
> >
> >> On Mon, 13 Jul 2015 06:48:11 -0700, sf > wrote:

> >> snip
> >> I will say I hate chickpeas/garbanzos/cici beans
> >>
> >> That was my feeling too. Until yesterday. I ate some drained and
> >> rinsed, right out of the can. They are really very decent.

> >Maybe they're processing them differently now, I'll give them another
> >try sometime. Hubby loves them, so he would be happy if I started
> >putting them in salads etc.
> >
> >> I don't
> >> get hummus. I think it would be really good without the tahini. The
> >> tahini tastes metallic to me and ruins the humus.

> >I like tahini. I don't get a metallic flavor from it but I've never
> >tried what is sold in jars. I like grocery store hummus, so I'd
> >probably like the jarred stuff too. Do you like sesame seeds?

> I like sesame seeds and use them frequently. Grocery store hummus?
> What is that compared to jarred stuff?

The grocery store hummus I buy is in the refrigerated section, brands
like Sabra and Trader Joe's. I was talking about tahini, doesn't it
come in jars on just on the shelves? I've only used fresh, that I
scoop out and buy by the ounce from the refrigerated case at a co-op.
Not being snobby, it's just that I don't use it very much. Waste not,
want not. I'm not opening a whole can or jar when I just want a
little and wasting the rest.

> I've made hummus and had hummus made by others, I've only tried the
> Sabra once. I've used tahini in a couple of other things and was
> bothered by the aftertaste. It is my taste buds and how they respond
> to tahini. I'm going to try making hummus again without the usual
> proportions and use less tahini and maybe more lemon juice.

Don't forget garlic.

--

sf

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/13/2015 2:35 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 7/13/2015 9:51 AM, Acme Bully Control wrote:

>>> Cooking with condensed soup is what American cooks unabashedly did
>>> during the 60's. I don't think it's a popular thing to do in these
>>> modern times. OTOH, there are exceptions like green bean casserole in
>>> which canned soup should be used to remain faithful to the traditional
>>> recipe.
>>>

>> Damned straight!
>>
>> And Durkee fried onions too!

> That is good stuff - I can't say that I like green bean casserole but I
> don't mind it every once in a while, but only if you serve me the top
> 1/2" or so. Hee hee.

ROFLOL!

You mean someone actuaklly eats the underneath?

Dang!

>>> When I was I kid, I'd stuff a flank steak with canned beef vegetable
>>> soup and braise it. It seemed like a fancy thing to do. I wouldn't do it
>>> these days because frankly, the very idea makes me ill and besides, have
>>> you seen the prices on flank steak these days?

>> You need to use Pepperidge Farm, stuffing.
>>
>> Trust me on this...

> That could be do-able. OTOH, stuffing a flank steak with soup is
> something that could only have existed in the 60's.

I yield to the power of your imagination and suspension of simple physics.

I must have shared the french onion soup dumplings recipe with you, yes?

Somethings are so wrong they have to be right!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/13/2015 2:38 PM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Jul 2015 14:16:19 -0600, Janet B >
> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 13 Jul 2015 12:36:12 -0700, sf > wrote:

>>> Maybe they're processing them differently now, I'll give them another
>>> try sometime. Hubby loves them, so he would be happy if I started
>>> putting them in salads etc.

>>> I like tahini. I don't get a metallic flavor from it but I've never
>>> tried what is sold in jars. I like grocery store hummus, so I'd
>>> probably like the jarred stuff too. Do you like sesame seeds?

>> I like sesame seeds and use them frequently. Grocery store hummus?
>> What is that compared to jarred stuff?

> The grocery store hummus I buy is in the refrigerated section, brands
> like Sabra and Trader Joe's. I was talking about tahini, doesn't it
> come in jars on just on the shelves? I've only used fresh, that I
> scoop out and buy by the ounce from the refrigerated case at a co-op.
> Not being snobby, it's just that I don't use it very much. Waste not,
> want not. I'm not opening a whole can or jar when I just want a
> little and wasting the rest.

And therein is the hidden benefit in shopping thusly - efficient
allocation of resources!

I do the same for given items too.

It makes perfect sense and you get the freshest quality as well.

>> I've made hummus and had hummus made by others, I've only tried the
>> Sabra once. I've used tahini in a couple of other things and was
>> bothered by the aftertaste. It is my taste buds and how they respond
>> to tahini. I'm going to try making hummus again without the usual
>> proportions and use less tahini and maybe more lemon juice.

> Don't forget garlic.

ROASTED garlic please.

So sweet and nutty!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/13/2015 4:59 PM, notbob wrote:
> While I agree almost all canned soups are inedible, Juanita's Mexican
> soup line is the exception. Very tasty and no carrageenan thickeners.
> Problem is finding the right soup. Almost every sprmkt in US carries
> Juanita's Menudo, but who likes tripe if you weren't raised on it.

I do! I can't find Juanita's canned Menudo at the grocery store
anymore, not even in the "Mexican" section. I'd try making it from
scratch except I can't find tripe, either.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-07-13, jmcquown > wrote:

> I do! I can't find Juanita's canned Menudo at the grocery store
> anymore, not even in the "Mexican" section. I'd try making it from
> scratch except I can't find tripe, either.

Try a good pozole recipe. Pozole is basically menudo with pork
instead of tripe. All the spices, etc, are almost identical.
A good pork pozole is to die for.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/13/2015 10:57 AM, Acme Bully Control wrote:
> On 7/13/2015 2:35 PM, dsi1 wrote:

>>> Damned straight!
>>>
>>> And Durkee fried onions too!

>> That is good stuff - I can't say that I like green bean casserole but I
>> don't mind it every once in a while, but only if you serve me the top
>> 1/2" or so. Hee hee.

> ROFLOL!
>
> You mean someone actuaklly eats the underneath?
>
> Dang!

>>> You need to use Pepperidge Farm, stuffing.
>>>
>>> Trust me on this...

>> That could be do-able. OTOH, stuffing a flank steak with soup is
>> something that could only have existed in the 60's.

> I yield to the power of your imagination and suspension of simple physics.
>
> I must have shared the french onion soup dumplings recipe with you, yes?
>
> Somethings are so wrong they have to be right!

My guess is some marketing guy at the Campbell's soup company came up
with this "recipe" because he needed some filler material for one of
those little booklets that you'd rip out of woman's magazine so he came
up with this little gem. Of course, he obviously never attempted to try
to test this "recipe" out. Back then, we didn't have very many cooking
mags around, we actually cooked rather than read about cooking.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/13/2015 3:11 PM, notbob wrote:
> On 2015-07-13, jmcquown > wrote:
>>
>> I do! I can't find Juanita's canned Menudo at the grocery store
>> anymore, not even in the "Mexican" section. I'd try making it from
>> scratch except I can't find tripe, either.

> Try a good pozole recipe. Pozole is basically menudo with pork
> instead of tripe. All the spices, etc, are almost identical.
> A good pork pozole is to die for.
>

> nb

Posole is dried corn, with or without the zeta.

http://www.culinate.com/books/collec...nd_hominy_stew
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 13 Jul 2015 11:12:57 -1000, dsi1
> wrote:

> My guess is some marketing guy at the Campbell's soup company came up
> with this "recipe" because he needed some filler material for one of
> those little booklets that you'd rip out of woman's magazine so he came
> up with this little gem. Of course, he obviously never attempted to try
> to test this "recipe" out. Back then, we didn't have very many cooking
> mags around, we actually cooked rather than read about cooking.

I don't think there was much recipe testing back then. They wrote it
and published it. Done.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/13/2015 3:12 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 7/13/2015 10:57 AM, Acme Bully Control wrote:

>>> That is good stuff - I can't say that I like green bean casserole but I
>>> don't mind it every once in a while, but only if you serve me the top
>>> 1/2" or so. Hee hee.

>> ROFLOL!
>>
>> You mean someone actuaklly eats the underneath?
>>
>> Dang!

>>> That could be do-able. OTOH, stuffing a flank steak with soup is
>>> something that could only have existed in the 60's.

>> I yield to the power of your imagination and suspension of simple
>> physics.
>>
>> I must have shared the french onion soup dumplings recipe with you, yes?
>>
>> Somethings are so wrong they have to be right!

> My guess is some marketing guy at the Campbell's soup company came up
> with this "recipe" because he needed some filler material for one of
> those little booklets that you'd rip out of woman's magazine so he came
> up with this little gem. Of course, he obviously never attempted to try
> to test this "recipe" out. Back then, we didn't have very many cooking
> mags around, we actually cooked rather than read about cooking.

A brave old world it was indeed.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/13/2015 3:19 PM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Jul 2015 11:12:57 -1000, dsi1
> > wrote:
>
>> My guess is some marketing guy at the Campbell's soup company came up
>> with this "recipe" because he needed some filler material for one of
>> those little booklets that you'd rip out of woman's magazine so he came
>> up with this little gem. Of course, he obviously never attempted to try
>> to test this "recipe" out. Back then, we didn't have very many cooking
>> mags around, we actually cooked rather than read about cooking.

> I don't think there was much recipe testing back then. They wrote it
> and published it. Done.

Agreed.

No ATK at all.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/13/2015 3:39 PM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Jul 2015 20:15:36 +0100, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>>
>> Amen! I am not denigrating anyone here, but I get so disappointed when I
>> read a US recipe and so often I find condensed soup as an ingredient I am
>> sure there must be many recipes without, but I mostly seem to find the ones
>> that do

> Where are you finding those recipes? I subscribe to well over 100
> food blogs and I simply don't see current recipes that call for canned
> soup.

Keyword: current

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-07-13 4:21 PM, Janet B wrote:

>> I tried hummus a number of times and never saw the attraction. I once
>> had a sample in the grocery store and thought they would be wise not to
>> let people sample it because they would be better off if people just
>> bought it once and never got it again rather than trying it and not
>> buying it at all. Then I had hummus as a middle eastern restaurant and
>> I was wowed by the hummus. I started making my own. It is really easy
>> to make and you can adjust it to your taste. FWIW... the tahini is an
>> important component.
>>

> Yeah, I get the importance of tahini. What is it that you liked about
> the restaurant hummus and your hummus? What do you do to make it
> special?

I think it was the fresh lemon juice.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> On 7/12/2015 10:01 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> On Sunday, July 12, 2015 at 8:54:48 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
>>
>>> Everyone loves pea soup.

>> No. I like lots of things, but pea soup isn't one of them.

> I loathe split pea soup. I even forbade a stranger next to
> me to order it when it was the soup of the day. It is up
> there with refried beans, to me. Blech.

You forbade a stranger to order it? That takes the cake! And I LOVE
refried beans.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet B" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 13 Jul 2015 12:36:12 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 13 Jul 2015 10:47:58 -0600, Janet B >
>>wrote:
>>
>>> On Mon, 13 Jul 2015 06:48:11 -0700, sf > wrote:

>>> snip
>>> I will say I hate chickpeas/garbanzos/cici beans
>>>
>>> That was my feeling too. Until yesterday. I ate some drained and
>>> rinsed, right out of the can. They are really very decent.

>>Maybe they're processing them differently now, I'll give them another
>>try sometime. Hubby loves them, so he would be happy if I started
>>putting them in salads etc.
>>
>>> I don't
>>> get hummus. I think it would be really good without the tahini. The
>>> tahini tastes metallic to me and ruins the humus.

>>I like tahini. I don't get a metallic flavor from it but I've never
>>tried what is sold in jars. I like grocery store hummus, so I'd
>>probably like the jarred stuff too. Do you like sesame seeds?

> I like sesame seeds and use them frequently. Grocery store hummus?
> What is that compared to jarred stuff?
> I've made hummus and had hummus made by others, I've only tried the
> Sabra once. I've used tahini in a couple of other things and was
> bothered by the aftertaste. It is my taste buds and how they respond
> to tahini. I'm going to try making hummus again without the usual
> proportions and use less tahini and maybe more lemon juice.
> Janet US

I tried the Sabra and found it to be vile. Now maybe I bought an off batch
or something but it was so bad, I never bought it again.