Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pan size for spatchcock turkey

On Wed, 27 Nov 2019 11:47:25 -0800 (PST), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, November 27, 2019 at 9:28:25 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:

>> >Or Raccoons tearing up your boat or motorhome.

>> People complain about the bats and the bush turkeys here. But we moved
>> into their territory, not the other way around. Work around them.

>We moved into my parent's home back in the early 60's. It was next to a large wetland. The area was teaming with cane toads, African snails, and mosquitoes. They are mostly gone now. Yay - we won!

If you ever feel nostalgic, I'll have a few cane toads for you.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, November 27, 2019 at 9:53:02 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Nov 2019 11:47:25 -0800 (PST), dsi1
> > wrote:

> >> People complain about the bats and the bush turkeys here. But we moved
> >> into their territory, not the other way around. Work around them.

> >We moved into my parent's home back in the early 60's. It was next to a large wetland. The area was teaming with cane toads, African snails, and mosquitoes. They are mostly gone now. Yay - we won!

> If you ever feel nostalgic, I'll have a few cane toads for you.

The cane toads were a traumatic element of life when we moved in. Our road was completely covered with dead, squished, toads curling up and rotting in the hot Hawaiian sun. Nobody could possibly imagine what we had to endure to live there in the early days.

Last night I saw a small cane toad in our parking lot. That's about all that's left of those critters. Tomorrow, I shall give thanks for no toads hopping all over the roads. If I was king, I'd ditch God, Pilgrims, and Indians from Thanksgiving and make it all about the wiping out of cane toads.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 Nov 2019 12:08:30 -0800 (PST), dsi1
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, November 27, 2019 at 9:53:02 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
>> On Wed, 27 Nov 2019 11:47:25 -0800 (PST), dsi1
>> > wrote:

>> >We moved into my parent's home back in the early 60's. It was next to a large wetland. The area was teaming with cane toads, African snails, and mosquitoes. They are mostly gone now. Yay - we won!

>> If you ever feel nostalgic, I'll have a few cane toads for you.

>The cane toads were a traumatic element of life when we moved in. Our road was completely covered with dead, squished, toads curling up and rotting in the hot Hawaiian sun. Nobody could possibly imagine what we had to endure to live there in the early days.
>
>Last night I saw a small cane toad in our parking lot. That's about all that's left of those critters. Tomorrow, I shall give thanks for no toads hopping all over the roads. If I was king, I'd ditch God, Pilgrims, and Indians from Thanksgiving and make it all about the wiping out of cane toads.

Spoken like an Australian. Killing cane toads is the national sport
here.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 Nov 2019 11:54:18 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2019-11-27 11:09 a.m., Gary wrote:
>
>> Only if you care to. I dropped it.
>> You know my opinion. If you kill it, eat it.
>> Don't ever kill a living creature just because it annoys you.
>>

>I guess you don't have squirrels digging up your flower bulbs.

Very simple solution., feed ferral cats. We must feed a half dozen
feral cats, we haven't seen a sqirrel in years.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 Nov 2019 12:23:14 -0500, Casa de Masa > wrote:

>Dave Smith wrote :
>> On 2019-11-27 11:09 a.m., Gary wrote:
>>
>>> Only if you care to. I dropped it.
>>> You know my opinion. If you kill it, eat it.
>>> Don't ever kill a living creature just because it annoys you.
>>>

>> I guess you don't have squirrels digging up your flower bulbs.
>>

>Or Raccoons tearing up your boat or motorhome.

You ****ing imbecile... racoons break in only because shit for brains
like you leave food in your boat and motorhome. I can gasurantee that
racoons ain't interested in boating or camping, they are into those
Three Musketeers bars youse POS imbeciles leave.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "Gary" wrote:
> > Squirrel meat is quite tasty.

> ===
>
> Back in the day, D. cooked one over an open fire. He said it tasted like
> bacon)

Really!? I don't remember that but if true maybe I'll start
taking out my porch squirrels.

I only had squirrel (on it's own) once long ago.
She made it as squirrel with onions and gravy.
So darn delicious.

Much more flavor than rabbit, if I remember both correctly.
It's been 50 years now since I ate either.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" wrote in message ...

Ophelia wrote:

> "Gary" wrote:
> > Squirrel meat is quite tasty.

> ===
>
> Back in the day, D. cooked one over an open fire. He said it tasted
> like
> bacon)

Really!? I don't remember that but if true maybe I'll start
taking out my porch squirrels.

I only had squirrel (on it's own) once long ago.
She made it as squirrel with onions and gravy.
So darn delicious.

Much more flavor than rabbit, if I remember both correctly.
It's been 50 years now since I ate either.

====

D. he

Hi Gary,

As with many things, I think the flavour of squirrel is modified by
what they have been eating, but also how they are cooked. Done on a spit
over an open fire burning birch logs, there was a touch of smoking as well
as roasting, so that might have given the taste of bacon. Done in a stew
with rabbit and wild greens, mine still had a hint of pork but, yes,
definitely more flavoured that the rabbit. Done with pheasant and wild
garlic, the pheasant took over, but then that was a younger squirrel too,
which might have had less of its own flavour. Whichever way, they are still
good eating :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 28 Nov 2019 11:53:02 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> "Gary" wrote:
>> > Squirrel meat is quite tasty.

>> ===
>>
>> Back in the day, D. cooked one over an open fire. He said it tasted like
>> bacon)

>Really!? I don't remember that but if true maybe I'll start
>taking out my porch squirrels.
>
>I only had squirrel (on it's own) once long ago.
>She made it as squirrel with onions and gravy.
>So darn delicious.
>
>Much more flavor than rabbit, if I remember both correctly.
>It's been 50 years now since I ate either.

<https://www.rtlnieuws.nl/sites/default/files/styles/liggend/public/content/images/2019/09/11/Eekhoorn%20foto%20Dick%20van%20Duijn.jpg>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" wrote in message news
On Thu, 28 Nov 2019 11:53:02 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> "Gary" wrote:
>> > Squirrel meat is quite tasty.

>> ===
>>
>> Back in the day, D. cooked one over an open fire. He said it tasted
>> like
>> bacon)

>Really!? I don't remember that but if true maybe I'll start
>taking out my porch squirrels.
>
>I only had squirrel (on it's own) once long ago.
>She made it as squirrel with onions and gravy.
>So darn delicious.
>
>Much more flavor than rabbit, if I remember both correctly.
>It's been 50 years now since I ate either.

<https://www.rtlnieuws.nl/sites/default/files/styles/liggend/public/content/images/2019/09/11/Eekhoorn%20foto%20Dick%20van%20Duijn.jpg>

==

Awwwwwww)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 21 Nov 2019 00:36:49 -0500, Dave >
wrote:

>Anyone with experience know what size of pan will be required for a
>12-pound turkey? We have a large roaster (17"x13") and rack for it.
>Big enough?
>
>Dave

I am doing the spatchcocked turkey vicariously. Daughter has a 24#
bird (a neighbor grew them and selected her best bird for daughter,
much larger than she had planned)
The final decision was the halve the turkey. Daughter and family are
dining with friends. The man friend is taking half of the turkey and
smoking it, daughter is roasting the half turkey propped up on some
chunks of onion/celery/carrot etc. When almost done she is going to
lift the turkey out, remove the veggies and broth, put the dressing in
the bottom of the pan and top with turkey to finish. Golly, I hope
this turns out. My thumbprint is pretty heavy on this process
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "Gary" wrote:
> I only had squirrel (on it's own) once long ago.
> She made it as squirrel with onions and gravy.
> So darn delicious.
> Much more flavor than rabbit, if I remember both correctly.
> It's been 50 years now since I ate either.
>
> ====
>
> D. he
>
> Hi Gary,
>
> As with many things, I think the flavour of squirrel is modified by
> what they have been eating, but also how they are cooked. Done on a spit
> over an open fire burning birch logs, there was a touch of smoking as well
> as roasting, so that might have given the taste of bacon. Done in a stew
> with rabbit and wild greens, mine still had a hint of pork but, yes,
> definitely more flavoured that the rabbit. Done with pheasant and wild
> garlic, the pheasant took over, but then that was a younger squirrel too,
> which might have had less of its own flavour. Whichever way, they are still
> good eating :-)

Thanks to D. for stepping in here. Tell him I said so, Ophy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:

> Gary wrote:
> >I only had squirrel (on it's own) once long ago.
> >She made it as squirrel with onions and gravy.
> >So darn delicious.
> >Much more flavor than rabbit, if I remember both correctly.
> >It's been 50 years now since I ate either.

> <https://www.rtlnieuws.nl/sites/default/files/styles/liggend/public/content/images/2019/09/11/Eekhoorn%20foto%20Dick%20van%20Duijn.jpg>

You want to play the cute baby pictures game? Those will melt
anyone's heart no matter what species of animal.

Anyway, we were talking about eating squirrels. Plenty of
cute pictures of them but you posted a pic of a baby
prairie dog. All farmers kill them as they destroy crops.

Why don't you do a picture search for:
"Australia wild dog babies"
See a litter of cute pups in a burrow, totally dependent
on MOM and waiting for her to come home with some food.
But you want someone to kill MOM and let those little
ones starve to death.

It works both ways.

There's no easy answer if we care about killing animals.
You shouldn't play DOG and pick and choose the ones
that should live or die.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" wrote in message ...

Ophelia wrote:

> "Gary" wrote:
> I only had squirrel (on it's own) once long ago.
> She made it as squirrel with onions and gravy.
> So darn delicious.
> Much more flavor than rabbit, if I remember both correctly.
> It's been 50 years now since I ate either.
>
> ====
>
> D. he
>
> Hi Gary,
>
> As with many things, I think the flavour of squirrel is modified by
> what they have been eating, but also how they are cooked. Done on a spit
> over an open fire burning birch logs, there was a touch of smoking as well
> as roasting, so that might have given the taste of bacon. Done in a stew
> with rabbit and wild greens, mine still had a hint of pork but, yes,
> definitely more flavoured that the rabbit. Done with pheasant and wild
> garlic, the pheasant took over, but then that was a younger squirrel too,
> which might have had less of its own flavour. Whichever way, they are
> still
> good eating :-)

Thanks to D. for stepping in here. Tell him I said so, Ophy.

===

He says it was a pleasure He used to do a lot of bush craft and
survival stuff including cooking and eating foraged foods.

He has written books on the subject and is well known in those circles. No,
I won't be advertising them here

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 29 Nov 2019 10:10:27 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>Bruce wrote:
>>
>> Gary wrote:
>> >I only had squirrel (on it's own) once long ago.
>> >She made it as squirrel with onions and gravy.
>> >So darn delicious.
>> >Much more flavor than rabbit, if I remember both correctly.
>> >It's been 50 years now since I ate either.

>> <https://www.rtlnieuws.nl/sites/default/files/styles/liggend/public/content/images/2019/09/11/Eekhoorn%20foto%20Dick%20van%20Duijn.jpg>

>You want to play the cute baby pictures game? Those will melt
>anyone's heart no matter what species of animal.
>
>Anyway, we were talking about eating squirrels. Plenty of
>cute pictures of them but you posted a pic of a baby
>prairie dog. All farmers kill them as they destroy crops.
>
>Why don't you do a picture search for:
>"Australia wild dog babies"
>See a litter of cute pups in a burrow, totally dependent
>on MOM and waiting for her to come home with some food.
>But you want someone to kill MOM and let those little
>ones starve to death.
>
>It works both ways.
>
>There's no easy answer if we care about killing animals.
>You shouldn't play DOG and pick and choose the ones
>that should live or die.

What a rant, just because I posted a link to a nice picture.

By the way, the picture was taken in Austria. They don't have prairie
dogs there.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "Gary" wrote:
> Thanks to D. for stepping in here. Tell him I said so, Ophy.
>
> ===
> He says it was a pleasure He used to do a lot of bush craft and
> survival stuff including cooking and eating foraged foods.

ME TOO!

> He has written books on the subject and is well known in those circles. No,
> I won't be advertising them here

Ok...you mentioned that a few years ago and I asked you to email
me about it. I would be interested in checking out a book on that
subject. It does interest me.

But back then you said your email to me bounced (and I never saw
it). Wish you would try again with the email. I'd like to read
one.

My address here is correct for email.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" wrote in message ...

Ophelia wrote:

> "Gary" wrote:
> Thanks to D. for stepping in here. Tell him I said so, Ophy.
>
> ===
> He says it was a pleasure He used to do a lot of bush craft and
> survival stuff including cooking and eating foraged foods.

ME TOO!

> He has written books on the subject and is well known in those circles.
> No,
> I won't be advertising them here

Ok...you mentioned that a few years ago and I asked you to email
me about it. I would be interested in checking out a book on that
subject. It does interest me.

But back then you said your email to me bounced (and I never saw
it). Wish you would try again with the email. I'd like to read
one.

My address here is correct for email.

==

I'll give it a try)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> I tried but got this message:
>
> 'A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
>
> '

Did you add that slash at the end? That might have messed it up.
other than that, should work fine.

If you care to post your address (you have in the past), I'll
email you and see if that works.

No reason why you can't email me. Don't know the problem.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" wrote in message ...

Ophelia wrote:

> I tried but got this message:
>
> 'A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
>
> '

Did you add that slash at the end? That might have messed it up.
other than that, should work fine.

If you care to post your address (you have in the past), I'll
email you and see if that works.

No reason why you can't email me. Don't know the problem.

====

I didn't type it in. I just used the address at the top of your post!

Are you saying it should be different?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "Gary" wrote in message ...
>
> Ophelia wrote:
> >
> > I tried but got this message:
> >
> > 'A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
> > recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:
> >
> > '

> Did you add that slash at the end? That might have messed it up.
> other than that, should work fine.
>
> If you care to post your address (you have in the past), I'll
> email you and see if that works.
>
> No reason why you can't email me. Don't know the problem.
>
> ====
>
> I didn't type it in. I just used the address at the top of your post!
>
> Are you saying it should be different?

My address is:

NOT
'

That slash added would make a difference

Posted to rec.food.cooking

'

>That slash added would make a difference

This is a slash:

/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

'

> That slash added would make a difference

That would be an apostrophe - just don't confuse it with a Hawaiian okina.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4MVPA1xCY0