Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pan size for spatchcock turkey

Anyone with experience know what size of pan will be required for a
12-pound turkey? We have a large roaster (17"x13") and rack for it.
Big enough?

Dave
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 21 Nov 2019 00:36:49 -0500, Dave >
wrote:

>Anyone with experience know what size of pan will be required for a
>12-pound turkey? We have a large roaster (17"x13") and rack for it.
>Big enough?

Since it's, no doubt, a tortured factory turkey, I'd suggest a coffin
instead of a pan.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>Anyone with experience know what size of pan will be required for a
>12-pound turkey? We have a large roaster (17"x13") and rack for it.
>Big enough?
>
>Dave

I don't think so, but maybe. It's going to be close. I was thinking
of spatch cocking a turkey of that size and only doing half. I guess
we'll both see.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, November 21, 2019 at 12:36:56 AM UTC-5, Dave wrote:
> Anyone with experience know what size of pan will be required for a
> 12-pound turkey? We have a large roaster (17"x13") and rack for it.
> Big enough?
>
> Dave

It'll be close. Most of the images of spatchcocked turkey on the
Web show them on a standard 13x18 half sheet pan and the ends
of the drumsticks might hang off a bit. http://www.seriouseats.com
specifies a 12-14 pounder, so you're in the ballpark.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>Anyone with experience know what size of pan will be required for a
>12-pound turkey? We have a large roaster (17"x13") and rack for it.
>Big enough?

Should be more than adequate. I'll be using a 10" X 15" pan for an 11
pounder. What's important is that's it's a sturdy pan, not one of
those super silly flimsy aluminum disposables,,, I use a heavy
Farberware SS pan with an adjustable steel "V" rack. I have larger
roasting pans but they would take up too much oven space for roasting
a turkey, they are also deeper so are better suited for caseroles like
a giant lasagna... the larger the pan the poorer the oven can
circulate even heat. The turkey is placed on the bottom rack, the
very top rack is for a foil covered shallow pan for roasting sweet
potatoes in their jackets,,, sweet potatoes ooze sugar, the foil makes
clean up easy. Once the turkey is shy an hour of being done it will
share it's shelf with a large pan of kasha varnishkas, all cooked the
day before but needs reheating from the fridge.
I never buy those flimsy disposable aluminum pans... a terrible
accident waiting to happen... in fact I don't call that an accident, I
say it's an on-purpose disaster... when sturdy roasting pans are on
sale buy two, they nest for storage.
I know with absolute certainty that someone will forget so everyone
right now leave a big note on the kitchen counter to place your frozen
turkey in the fridge on the morning of the 23rd... even set an alarm
the night prior.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/21/19 1:03 PM, wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Nov 2019 00:36:49 -0500, Dave >
> wrote:
>>
>> Anyone with experience know what size of pan will be required for a
>> 12-pound turkey? We have a large roaster (17"x13") and rack for it.
>> Big enough?

> Should be more than adequate. I'll be using a 10" X 15" pan for an 11
> pounder. What's important is that's it's a sturdy pan, not one of
> those super silly flimsy aluminum disposables,,, I use a heavy
> Farberware SS pan with an adjustable steel "V" rack. I have larger
> roasting pans but they would take up too much oven space for roasting
> a turkey, they are also deeper so are better suited for caseroles like
> a giant lasagna... the larger the pan the poorer the oven can
> circulate even heat. The turkey is placed on the bottom rack, the
> very top rack is for a foil covered shallow pan for roasting sweet
> potatoes in their jackets,,, sweet potatoes ooze sugar, the foil makes
> clean up easy. Once the turkey is shy an hour of being done it will
> share it's shelf with a large pan of kasha varnishkas, all cooked the
> day before but needs reheating from the fridge.
> I never buy those flimsy disposable aluminum pans... a terrible
> accident waiting to happen... in fact I don't call that an accident, I
> say it's an on-purpose disaster... when sturdy roasting pans are on
> sale buy two, they nest for storage.
> I know with absolute certainty that someone will forget so everyone
> right now leave a big note on the kitchen counter to place your frozen
> turkey in the fridge on the morning of the 23rd... even set an alarm
> the night prior.

Love your insight and plans! Thanks for the info. I also have a HD
roaster with handles and a HD rack. I did a spatchcocked chicken two
weeks ago (4.5 pounds) and it was great. Turkey's are a little more
difficult to cut, handle, etc. But, I can't wait to dig into a really
great turkey.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Dave,
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 20 Nov 2019 23:13:33 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
wrote:

>On Thu, 21 Nov 2019 00:36:49 -0500, Dave >
>wrote:
>
>>Anyone with experience know what size of pan will be required for a
>>12-pound turkey? We have a large roaster (17"x13") and rack for it.
>>Big enough?
>>
>>Dave

>I don't think so, but maybe. It's going to be close. I was thinking
>of spatch cocking a turkey of that size and only doing half. I guess
>we'll both see.
>Janet US

I didn't notice spatchcock in the subject, I only read the body of the
post and it doesn't mention spatchcock. Personally I'd never consider
spatchcocking large poultry, It's a technique meant for small poultry
like 3 pouund chickens. Spatchcocking a turkey will result in several
varying thicknesses needing different cooking times. I typically buy
roasting chickens, of 7-8 pounds and would never consider
spatchcocking, I would roast them whole or disjoint into quarters,
sixths, or usually eighths... then I can easily check each part for
doneness. The only reason I roast my Thanksgiving turkey whole is it
makes for a more traditional service... tradition is the only reason I
roast a turkey for Thanksgiving. The more I think about it the more
I think spatchcocking a turkey is something for the mentally ill or
someone who has never cooked anything more than a turkey TV dinner.
I don't much like turkey so I never buy it other than for Thanksgiving
dinner. Even aboard ship most didn't like turkey, however it was
prepared for tradition. If in port I'd feed over a thousand lots of
guests... all 20 large ovens were filled with 25 lb turkeys and 25 lb
fresh hams... the hams were devoured twice as fast. The cooking was
easy, the difficult part was just me doing all the carving at super
speed, but way back then I could, I'm sure I can no longer. We only
had three cooks on board and only one on duty to prepare and serve the
holiday meals and I always volunteered. I did all the baking and
desserts as well. Anyone here think they can stay awake all night to
bake pies, bread, cakes cookies, and make ice cream to feed a
thousand+ and then first thing in the morning begin on the turkeys,
hams, and all the sides? And I boned and tied about 30 whole hams
before I cooked them... I bet I can still bone and tie a ham in under
2 minutes. Had to be boned or no way I could carve quick enough.
Thinking back I don't know how I did it. Well no way I saved the
bones for stock as I would now, bones all flung out my porthole into
the sea. Since I didn't personally pay for the hams I didn't have to
carefully trim, but still I did as it was my nature then as it is now
not to waste food. Sometimes I still wake in the middle of the night
thinking of how many thousands of gallons of beautiful stock I could
have made from what I deep sixed... we weren't very careful about
trimming veggies either. Every day for many years the US Navy deep
sixes more food than can feed a dozen third world nations... but what
is one to do with perishables with no storage space... war ships have
pitifully little storage space. The definition of a war ship is a
platform for guns and ammo.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

My cousin said a pressure cooked turkey was very good.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, November 21, 2019 at 11:03:51 AM UTC-10, wrote:
> My cousin said a pressure cooked turkey was very good.

My wife asked me if I wanted to cook a turkey by burying it underground with some hot rocks. As it goes, that's one of the worst thing you can do to a turkey. The turkey collapses into a heap of bones and meat and has a peculiar smokey taste. I am open to cooking a pork shoulder underground. It's just awesome!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> [...]

> 2 minutes. Had to be boned or no way I could carve quick enough.
> Thinking back I don't know how I did it. Well no way I saved the
> bones for stock as I would now, bones all flung out my porthole into
> the sea. Since I didn't personally pay for the hams I didn't have to
> carefully trim, but still I did as it was my nature then as it is now
> not to waste food. Sometimes I still wake in the middle of the night
> thinking of how many thousands of gallons of beautiful stock I could
> have made from what I deep sixed... we weren't very careful about
> trimming veggies either. Every day for many years the US Navy deep
> sixes more food than can feed a dozen third world nations... but what
> is one to do with perishables with no storage space... war ships have
> pitifully little storage space. The definition of a war ship is a

Popeye, why did they throw yoose out of the Navy? Did you get caught
eating a pineapple?

You only served a few years in the galley of a small tin can over 50
years ago, during peacetime, but it still consumes your soul (if you
have one).

Too bad yoose so damn old. Nowadays, the navy lets homosexuals like
you enlist AND reenlist. It's a bad break in timing. In today's
world, you could have be Admiral Popeye Katz on the joint chiefs.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 has brought this to us :
> On Thursday, November 21, 2019 at 11:03:51 AM UTC-10, wrote:
>> My cousin said a pressure cooked turkey was very good.

> My wife asked me if I wanted to cook a turkey by burying it underground with
> some hot rocks. As it goes, that's one of the worst thing you can do to a
> turkey. The turkey collapses into a heap of bones and meat and has a peculiar
> smokey taste. I am open to cooking a pork shoulder underground. It's just
> awesome!

My wife and I were married on Maui at the Intercontinental hotel(sp)
right on the beach..it was killer..at any rate we loved the pig cooked
in the ground, and of course the atmosphere.

Luau's are kick ass, imo. (but not with turkeys, eh?)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> My cousin said a pressure cooked turkey was very good.

My wife asked me if I wanted to cook a turkey by burying it underground with
some hot rocks. As it goes, that's one of the worst thing you can do to a
turkey. The turkey collapses into a heap of bones and meat and has a
peculiar smokey taste. I am open to cooking a pork shoulder underground.
It's just awesome!

===

Do you cook a lot like that?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, November 21, 2019 at 1:41:05 PM UTC-10, Casa de Masa wrote:
> dsi1 has brought this to us :
> > On Thursday, November 21, 2019 at 11:03:51 AM UTC-10, wrote:
> >> My cousin said a pressure cooked turkey was very good.

> > My wife asked me if I wanted to cook a turkey by burying it underground with
> > some hot rocks. As it goes, that's one of the worst thing you can do to a
> > turkey. The turkey collapses into a heap of bones and meat and has a peculiar
> > smokey taste. I am open to cooking a pork shoulder underground. It's just
> > awesome!
> >

> My wife and I were married on Maui at the Intercontinental hotel(sp)
> right on the beach..it was killer..at any rate we loved the pig cooked
> in the ground, and of course the atmosphere.
>
> Luau's are kick ass, imo. (but not with turkeys, eh?)

They can be fun but they should expand the usual fare a bit - maybe include some Chinese food.

On Fridays, a lot of plate lunch places on this rock will serve a Hawaiian luau plate that includes a lau lau, poi, lomi lomi salmon, haupia, kalua pig, and chicken long rice. I haven't got one of those in a while but my guess is somewhere on this island, someone is serving the ultimate Hawaiian luau plate. Perhaps I should have gotten one today.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/de/4d...d8861abc13.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0wfbOfc-Sg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, November 21, 2019 at 10:35:30 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Thursday, November 21, 2019 at 11:03:51 AM UTC-10,
> wrote:
> > My cousin said a pressure cooked turkey was very good.

> My wife asked me if I wanted to cook a turkey by burying it underground with
> some hot rocks. As it goes, that's one of the worst thing you can do to a
> turkey. The turkey collapses into a heap of bones and meat and has a
> peculiar smokey taste. I am open to cooking a pork shoulder underground.
> It's just awesome!
>
> ===
>
> Do you cook a lot like that?

I've never cooked that way. Very few people do these days. I am going to try to reserve some space to have a pork butt cooked in an imu. Cooking the food with banana leaves and ti leaves gives the imu cooked food a unique taste. One of these days, I'll cook a pork butt in the oven or slow cooker with banana and ti leaves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTmntLCkzO4
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Fridays, a lot of plate lunch places on this rock will serve a Hawaiian
luau plate that includes a lau lau, poi, lomi lomi salmon, haupia, kalua
pig, and chicken long rice. I haven't got one of those in a while but my
guess is somewhere on this island, someone is serving the ultimate Hawaiian
luau plate. Perhaps I should have gotten one today.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/de/4d...d8861abc13.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0wfbOfc-Sg

====

Do you eat the taro leaves, or are they just part of the cooking
process?

I'd love to try that but I can't ever see me seeing a taro leaf let
alone using one)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, November 21, 2019 at 11:54:57 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>

> On Fridays, a lot of plate lunch places on this rock will serve a Hawaiian
> luau plate that includes a lau lau, poi, lomi lomi salmon, haupia, kalua
> pig, and chicken long rice. I haven't got one of those in a while but my
> guess is somewhere on this island, someone is serving the ultimate Hawaiian
> luau plate. Perhaps I should have gotten one today.
>
> https://i.pinimg.com/originals/de/4d...d8861abc13.jpg
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0wfbOfc-Sg
>
> ====
>
> Do you eat the taro leaves, or are they just part of the cooking
> process?
>
> I'd love to try that but I can't ever see me seeing a taro leaf let
> alone using one)

The taro leaves are eminently edible - after you cook it. You wouldn't eat it without cooking it thoroughly first. You need to break down the shard-like calcium oxalate crystals otherwise, it's irritating to your mouth and throat. I have made laulau in a slow cooker. You really have to make sure it's cooked at a high enough temperature and long enough. The 4 hours that the lady was talking about seems short. I'd cook it 6 to 8 hours. OTOH, they must be using a higher heat than I do.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Thursday, November 21, 2019 at 10:35:30 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Thursday, November 21, 2019 at 11:03:51 AM UTC-10,
> wrote:
> > My cousin said a pressure cooked turkey was very good.

> My wife asked me if I wanted to cook a turkey by burying it underground
> with
> some hot rocks. As it goes, that's one of the worst thing you can do to a
> turkey. The turkey collapses into a heap of bones and meat and has a
> peculiar smokey taste. I am open to cooking a pork shoulder underground.
> It's just awesome!
>
> ===
>
> Do you cook a lot like that?

I've never cooked that way. Very few people do these days. I am going to try
to reserve some space to have a pork butt cooked in an imu. Cooking the food
with banana leaves and ti leaves gives the imu cooked food a unique taste.
One of these days, I'll cook a pork butt in the oven or slow cooker with
banana and ti leaves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTmntLCkzO4

===

I would love to be able to get some of those leaves to try it)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Thursday, November 21, 2019 at 11:54:57 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>

> On Fridays, a lot of plate lunch places on this rock will serve a Hawaiian
> luau plate that includes a lau lau, poi, lomi lomi salmon, haupia, kalua
> pig, and chicken long rice. I haven't got one of those in a while but my
> guess is somewhere on this island, someone is serving the ultimate
> Hawaiian
> luau plate. Perhaps I should have gotten one today.
>
> https://i.pinimg.com/originals/de/4d...d8861abc13.jpg
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0wfbOfc-Sg
>
> ====
>
> Do you eat the taro leaves, or are they just part of the cooking
> process?
>
> I'd love to try that but I can't ever see me seeing a taro leaf let
> alone using one)

The taro leaves are eminently edible - after you cook it. You wouldn't eat
it without cooking it thoroughly first. You need to break down the
shard-like calcium oxalate crystals otherwise, it's irritating to your mouth
and throat. I have made laulau in a slow cooker. You really have to make
sure it's cooked at a high enough temperature and long enough. The 4 hours
that the lady was talking about seems short. I'd cook it 6 to 8 hours. OTOH,
they must be using a higher heat than I do.

====

I doubt I would ever get the chance but I love to hear about them.
Who knows ... ))

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 22 Nov 2019 08:35:00 -0000, Ophelia wrote:

> [...] one of the worst thing you can do to a turkey.

Apparently, one should also not drop them from airplanes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mike_Duffy" wrote in message
.. .

On Fri, 22 Nov 2019 08:35:00 -0000, Ophelia wrote:

> [...] one of the worst thing you can do to a turkey.

Apparently, one should also not drop them from airplanes.

===

I didn't actually write that I don't disagree

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, November 22, 2019 at 9:34:57 AM UTC-5, Mike_Duffy wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Nov 2019 08:35:00 -0000, Ophelia wrote:
>
> > [...] one of the worst thing you can do to a turkey.

> Apparently, one should also not drop them from airplanes.

LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p00nBSNIPwg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/21/2019 4:24 PM, Hank Rogers wrote:
> [...]

>> have made from what I deep sixed... we weren't very careful about
>> trimming veggies either.Â* Every day for many years the US Navy deep
>> sixes more food than can feed a dozen third world nations... but what
>> is one to do with perishables with no storage space... war ships have
>> pitifully little storage space.Â* The definition of a war ship is a
>> platform for guns and ammo.
>>

> Popeye, why did they throw yoose out of the Navy? Did you get caught
> eating a pineapple?
>
> You only served a few years in the galley of a small tin can over 50
> years ago, during peacetime, but it still consumes your soul (if you
> have one).
>
> Too bad yoose so damn old. Nowadays, the navy lets homosexuals like
> you enlist AND reenlist. It's a bad break in timing. In today's world,
> you could have be Admiral Popeye Katz on the joint chief

Â* More likely a light cruiser , tin cans only carried around 350 people
including officers . I served on both ... and he's lyin' about only 3
cooks , hell even a 'can had 5 or 6 including the officers serving staff
.. And one cook (on the 'can) was designated night cook , prepped
mid-rats and baked all the breads and dessert goodies . That's where I
learned the basics of bread making .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019 Nov 22, , Mike_Duffy wrote
(in t>):

> On Fri, 22 Nov 2019 08:35:00 -0000, Ophelia wrote:
>
> > [...] one of the worst thing you can do to a turkey.

> Apparently, one should also not drop them from airplanes.

€œAs God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.€

-- Arthur Carlson RIP

leo

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 Nov 2019 Leo wrote:
>On 2019 Nov 22, , Mike_Duffy wrote:
>> On Fri, 22 Nov 2019 Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> > [...] one of the worst thing you can do to a turkey.

>> Apparently, one should also not drop them from airplanes.

>“As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.”

Actually wild turkeys can fly but only short distances... each evening
at dusk they fly straight up about 20' to lower tree branches where
they spend the night... each morning at dawn they fly down. They like
to spend nights in the large Norway spruce trees that line my forest
path. The turkeys one typically buys from markets can't fly, they are
bred to have enormaus Hollywood breasts

Oh, those with frozen turkeys NOW is the time to take them from the
freezer and put them in the fridge to defrost.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:
> Oh, you must have that party coming up where you celebrate the new
> country by killing its native bird.

Killing a turkey is bad. Killing a fish is fine. Right?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 Nov 2019 12:24:03 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>Bruce wrote:
>> Oh, you must have that party coming up where you celebrate the new
>> country by killing its native bird.

>Killing a turkey is bad. Killing a fish is fine. Right?

Not killing fish either is even better. I may become a vegetarian. Or
a vegan, so y'all will hate me even more because I'm morally superior
But why do we always go in circles? Do you want to discuss the
feral dogs again, by any chance?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:

> On Sun, 24 Nov 2019 12:24:03 -0500, Gary > wrote:
>
> >Bruce wrote:
> >> Oh, you must have that party coming up where you celebrate the new
> >> country by killing its native bird.

> >Killing a turkey is bad. Killing a fish is fine. Right?

> Not killing fish either is even better. I may become a vegetarian. Or
> a vegan, so y'all will hate me even more because I'm morally superior

Bruce, if you go vegetarian or vegan so as not to kill any
animals, I will respect your beliefs and say no more.
That's a noble cause. My only problem with you is your
constantly preaching about only certain animals but not all.
That just labels you as a hypocrite, imo.

> But why do we always go in circles? Do you want to
> discuss the feral dogs again, by any chance?

Only if you care to. I dropped it.
You know my opinion. If you kill it, eat it.
Don't ever kill a living creature just because it annoys you.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-11-27 11:09 a.m., Gary wrote:

> Only if you care to. I dropped it.
> You know my opinion. If you kill it, eat it.
> Don't ever kill a living creature just because it annoys you.

I guess you don't have squirrels digging up your flower bulbs.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> Gary wrote:
> > You know my opinion. If you kill it, eat it.
> > Don't ever kill a living creature just because it annoys you.
> >

> I guess you don't have squirrels digging up your flower bulbs.

I DO have annoying squirrels that come to my back porch every
day looking at my plants. Annoying in the spring when I plant
something but they just do what squirrels do.

I sometimes yell at them. Other times I give them food and
water in bad weather times. We get along fine. I have no
urge to kill one but if I did, I would certainly eat it.
Squirrel meat is quite tasty.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-11-27 12:12 p.m., Gary wrote:
> Dave Smith wrote:
>>

>> I guess you don't have squirrels digging up your flower bulbs.

> I DO have annoying squirrels that come to my back porch every
> day looking at my plants. Annoying in the spring when I plant
> something but they just do what squirrels do.
>
> I sometimes yell at them. Other times I give them food and
> water in bad weather times. We get along fine. I have no
> urge to kill one but if I did, I would certainly eat it.
> Squirrel meat is quite tasty.

That's what Uncle Jed says.
;-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote :
> On 2019-11-27 11:09 a.m., Gary wrote:
>
>> Only if you care to. I dropped it.
>> You know my opinion. If you kill it, eat it.
>> Don't ever kill a living creature just because it annoys you.
>>

> I guess you don't have squirrels digging up your flower bulbs.

Or Raccoons tearing up your boat or motorhome.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" wrote in message ...

Dave Smith wrote:

> Gary wrote:
> > You know my opinion. If you kill it, eat it.
> > Don't ever kill a living creature just because it annoys you.
> >

> I guess you don't have squirrels digging up your flower bulbs.

I DO have annoying squirrels that come to my back porch every
day looking at my plants. Annoying in the spring when I plant
something but they just do what squirrels do.

I sometimes yell at them. Other times I give them food and
water in bad weather times. We get along fine. I have no
urge to kill one but if I did, I would certainly eat it.
Squirrel meat is quite tasty.

===

Back in the day, D. cooked one over an open fire. He said it tasted like
bacon)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, November 27, 2019 at 7:11:16 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
> Dave Smith wrote:
> >
> > Gary wrote:
> > > You know my opinion. If you kill it, eat it.
> > > Don't ever kill a living creature just because it annoys you.
> > >

> > I guess you don't have squirrels digging up your flower bulbs.

> I DO have annoying squirrels that come to my back porch every
> day looking at my plants. Annoying in the spring when I plant
> something but they just do what squirrels do.
>
> I sometimes yell at them. Other times I give them food and
> water in bad weather times. We get along fine. I have no
> urge to kill one but if I did, I would certainly eat it.
> Squirrel meat is quite tasty.

What I gots to know is: are gopher guts are greasy and grimy?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 Nov 2019 11:09:36 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>Bruce wrote:

>> >Killing a turkey is bad. Killing a fish is fine. Right?

>> Not killing fish either is even better. I may become a vegetarian. Or
>> a vegan, so y'all will hate me even more because I'm morally superior
>>

>Bruce, if you go vegetarian or vegan so as not to kill any
>animals, I will respect your beliefs and say no more.
>That's a noble cause. My only problem with you is your
>constantly preaching about only certain animals but not all.
>That just labels you as a hypocrite, imo.

No, it means I'm halfway there. You haven't even started.

>> But why do we always go in circles? Do you want to
>> discuss the feral dogs again, by any chance?

>Only if you care to. I dropped it.
>You know my opinion. If you kill it, eat it.
>Don't ever kill a living creature just because it annoys you.

Just imagine: what if in 50 years there would be no more kangaroos,
wombats, koalas, etc in Australia. Just feral dogs. Should we prevent
that, knowing that we introduced those dogs?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 Nov 2019 12:23:14 -0500, Casa de Masa > wrote:

>Dave Smith wrote :
>> On 2019-11-27 11:09 a.m., Gary wrote:
>>
>>> Only if you care to. I dropped it.
>>> You know my opinion. If you kill it, eat it.
>>> Don't ever kill a living creature just because it annoys you.
>>>

>> I guess you don't have squirrels digging up your flower bulbs.
>>

>Or Raccoons tearing up your boat or motorhome.

People complain about the bats and the bush turkeys here. But we moved
into their territory, not the other way around. Work around them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

After serious thinking Bruce wrote :
> On Wed, 27 Nov 2019 12:23:14 -0500, Casa de Masa > wrote:
>
>> Dave Smith wrote :

>>> I guess you don't have squirrels digging up your flower bulbs.
>>>

>> Or Raccoons tearing up your boat or motorhome.

> People complain about the bats and the bush turkeys here. But we moved
> into their territory, not the other way around. Work around them.

Yeah, I catch them in a live box trap and then
pop them behind the ear with a .22 pistol.

It's illegal to transfer them to another location.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, November 27, 2019 at 9:28:25 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Nov 2019 12:23:14 -0500, Casa de Masa > wrote:
>
> >Dave Smith wrote :

> >> I guess you don't have squirrels digging up your flower bulbs.
> >>

> >Or Raccoons tearing up your boat or motorhome.

> People complain about the bats and the bush turkeys here. But we moved
> into their territory, not the other way around. Work around them.

We moved into my parent's home back in the early 60's. It was next to a large wetland. The area was teaming with cane toads, African snails, and mosquitoes. They are mostly gone now. Yay - we won!

https://hanahou.com/20.1/around-the-great-water