Posted to rec.food.cooking
Christine Dabney

Default Crisco Pie Pastry

Okay folks,

I grew up making the old Crisco pie pastry recipe. My mother taught
me. It used to be on the cans of Crisco.... It was the most
wonderful flaky pie crust.

I had this recipe in my files on my computer, and I lost it earlier
this year when things crashed.

It isn't the current recipe that Crisco publishes. It might be
similar, but the old recipe had one mix water with part of the flour
mixture to form a slurry and add it to the flour/Crisco mixture.

I want that recipe, with the slurry method. Now I use half and half
Crisco and butter, but I really like the slurry method that was used.
I know the basic method, I just need the amounts of the ingredients
and the basic proportions.

Anyone got it this in their files?

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Mr Libido Incognito

Christine Dabney wrote on 30 Oct 2005 in rec.food.cooking

> Okay folks,
>
> I grew up making the old Crisco pie pastry recipe. My mother taught
> me. It used to be on the cans of Crisco.... It was the most
> wonderful flaky pie crust.
>
> I had this recipe in my files on my computer, and I lost it earlier
> this year when things crashed.
>
> It isn't the current recipe that Crisco publishes. It might be
> similar, but the old recipe had one mix water with part of the flour
> mixture to form a slurry and add it to the flour/Crisco mixture.
>
> I want that recipe, with the slurry method. Now I use half and half
> Crisco and butter, but I really like the slurry method that was used.
> I know the basic method, I just need the amounts of the ingredients
> and the basic proportions.
>
> Anyone got it this in their files?
>
> Christine

for a recipe
http://www.crisco.com/recipes/from_s..._pie_crust.asp

pie crust 101
http://www.crisco.com/recipes/whats/pie_crust_101.asp

perfect pies
http://www.crisco.com/recipes/from_s...rfect_pies.asp

RECIPES:

CLASSIC CRISCO CRUST

8, 9 or 10-inch single crust
8 inch double pie crust

1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup crisco shortening
3 tablespoon cold water

9-inch double crust

2 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup crisco shortening
5 tablespoon cold water

10 inch double crust

2 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup crisco shortening
7 tablespoon cold water

1. Combine flour and salt in bowl. 2. Cut in Crisco using pastry blender
(or two knives) until all flour is blended in to form pea-size chunks. 3.
Sprinkle water, one tablespoon at a time. Toss lightly with fork until
dough will form a ball.

For single crust, 4. Press dough ball between hands to form 5 to 6-inch
pancake. Flour rolling surface and pin lightly. Roll dough into circle.
5.Trim one inch larger than upsidedown pie plate. Loosen dough carefully.
6.Fold into quarters. Unfold and press into pie plate. 7. Fold edge under
and flute. 8. For recipe calling for unbaked pie shell, follow baking
directions given in that recipe. For recipe calling for baked pie shell,
heat oven to 425=B0= F. Thoroughly prick bottom and sides with fork (50
times) to prevent shrinkage. Bake at 425=B0F for 10 to 15 minutes or
until lightly browned.

For double crust: 4,5,6. Divide dough in half. Roll each crust
separately and transfer to pie plate as described above in steps 4-6. 7.
Trim edge even with pie plate. Moisten pastry edge with water. 8. Add
desired filling to unbaked pie shell. Roll top crust same as bottom
and lift onto filled pie. Trim 1/2-inch beyond edge of pie plate. Fold
top edge under bottom crust and flute. Cut slits in top crust or prick
with= fork. 9. Bake according to filling recipe.

ALTERNATE ROLLING TECHNIQUE: Roll each dough pancake
between unfloured sheets of waxed paper or plastic wrap. Peel off top
sheet. Flip into pie plate. Remove other sheet.

Recipe By : Crisco American Pie Celebration

File
ftp://ftp.idiscover.co.uk/pub/food/m...s/mmdja006.zip

Yield: 1 servings

--
The eyes are the mirrors....
But the ears...Ah the ears.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Mr Libido Incognito

Christine Dabney wrote on 30 Oct 2005 in rec.food.cooking

> Okay folks,
>
> I grew up making the old Crisco pie pastry recipe. My mother taught
> me. It used to be on the cans of Crisco.... It was the most
> wonderful flaky pie crust.
>
> I had this recipe in my files on my computer, and I lost it earlier
> this year when things crashed.
>
> It isn't the current recipe that Crisco publishes. It might be
> similar, but the old recipe had one mix water with part of the flour
> mixture to form a slurry and add it to the flour/Crisco mixture.
>
> I want that recipe, with the slurry method. Now I use half and half
> Crisco and butter, but I really like the slurry method that was used.
> I know the basic method, I just need the amounts of the ingredients
> and the basic proportions.
>
> Anyone got it this in their files?
>
> Christine

You posted a egullet link earlier this month, that looked like it made good
pie crust from a Modified 1963 Good Housekeeping Recipe...Won't that do?

Myself, I eat Pie so rarely that I use a recipe using lard...right off of
the box the lard comes in...uses vinegar.

--
The eyes are the mirrors....
But the ears...Ah the ears.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Christine Dabney

On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 17:22:45 -0000, Mr Libido Incognito
> wrote:

>RECIPES:
>

>CLASSIC CRISCO CRUST

This is NOT it

I googled for it..and found all these.

The recipe I want predates these versions.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Christine Dabney

On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 17:26:44 -0000, Mr Libido Incognito
>You posted a egullet link earlier this month, that looked like it made good
>pie crust from a Modified 1963 Good Housekeeping Recipe...Won't that do?

It might..but I want my old recipe..

Christine

Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf

On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 17:22:45 -0000, Mr Libido Incognito wrote:

> > It isn't the current recipe that Crisco publishes. It might be
> > similar, but the old recipe had one mix water with part of the flour
> > mixture to form a slurry and add it to the flour/Crisco mixture.
> >
> > I want that recipe, with the slurry method. Now I use half and half
> > Crisco and butter, but I really like the slurry method that was used.
> > I know the basic method, I just need the amounts of the ingredients
> > and the basic proportions.

Christine: Does this look familiar?
http://www.recipelink.com/mf/2/9641
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 30 Oct 2005 09:06:58a, Christine Dabney wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Okay folks,
>
> I grew up making the old Crisco pie pastry recipe. My mother taught
> me. It used to be on the cans of Crisco.... It was the most
> wonderful flaky pie crust.
>
> I had this recipe in my files on my computer, and I lost it earlier
> this year when things crashed.
>
> It isn't the current recipe that Crisco publishes. It might be
> similar, but the old recipe had one mix water with part of the flour
> mixture to form a slurry and add it to the flour/Crisco mixture.
>
> I want that recipe, with the slurry method. Now I use half and half
> Crisco and butter, but I really like the slurry method that was used.
> I know the basic method, I just need the amounts of the ingredients
> and the basic proportions.
>
> Anyone got it this in their files?
>
> Christine

Christine, I don't know anything about the slurry method, but if the
proportion of ingredients are the same as the traditioinal method, then
here they are. Like you, I've been making it for years, as did my mom.

1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup Crisco
1/2 teaspoon salt
3-4 tablespoons ice water

HTH

--

Wayne Boatwright *¿*
_____________________________

http://tinypic.com/eikz78.jpg

Meet Mr. Bailey
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Spitzmaus

In my files, no, but I believe that recipe is still the only one my best
friend from high school uses. I'll contact her and report back.

Spitz
--
"Home, James, and don't spare the horses!"
"Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
> Okay folks,
>
> I grew up making the old Crisco pie pastry recipe. My mother taught
> me. It used to be on the cans of Crisco.... It was the most
> wonderful flaky pie crust.
>
> I had this recipe in my files on my computer, and I lost it earlier
> this year when things crashed.
>
> It isn't the current recipe that Crisco publishes. It might be
> similar, but the old recipe had one mix water with part of the flour
> mixture to form a slurry and add it to the flour/Crisco mixture.
>
> I want that recipe, with the slurry method. Now I use half and half
> Crisco and butter, but I really like the slurry method that was used.
> I know the basic method, I just need the amounts of the ingredients
> and the basic proportions.
>
> Anyone got it this in their files?
>
> Christine

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 30 Oct 2005 10:52:11a, Christine Dabney wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 17:22:45 -0000, Mr Libido Incognito
> > wrote:
>

>>RECIPES:
>>

>>CLASSIC CRISCO CRUST

> This is NOT it
>
> I googled for it..and found all these.
>
> The recipe I want predates these versions.
>
> Christine

Must be a really old recipe, then. The recipe that both Alan and I posted
was originally published on the Crisco can in the early 1950s if not
earlier.

Sorry.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*
_____________________________

http://tinypic.com/eikz78.jpg

Meet Mr. Bailey
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob (this one)

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Sun 30 Oct 2005 10:52:11a, Christine Dabney wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>>On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 17:22:45 -0000, Mr Libido Incognito
> wrote:
>>
>>>RECIPES:
>>>CLASSIC CRISCO CRUST

>>This is NOT it
>>I googled for it..and found all these.
>>The recipe I want predates these versions.
>>
>>Christine

> Must be a really old recipe, then. The recipe that both Alan and I posted
> was originally published on the Crisco can in the early 1950s if not
> earlier.

This one doesn't specifically identify Crisco, but it sounds like the
same sort of procedure.
<http://www.cooking.com/recipes/static/recipe7739.htm>
It posits 3 1/2 fluid ounces (7 tablespoons) shortening to 2 cups flour.
They characterize it as low-fat, and compared to my butter crust, it is.

Butter Pie Crust - two 12-inch rounds
2 sticks cold butter
2 cups ap flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup cold water

But so what, if it works, it works. I don't see why more shortening (or
butter) couldn't be added to good effect.

A general rule of thumb for "traditional" crusts is approximately 1/3
cup shortening to 1 cup flour, but you'll find lots of violations of
that formula.

I've never seen pie dough made this way and I think I'll try it. Bunch
of Ginger Gold apples in the crisper just calling out to me...

Pastorio

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Christine Dabney

On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 10:41:21 -0800, "Spitzmaus"
> wrote:

>In my files, no, but I believe that recipe is still the only one my best
>friend from high school uses. I'll contact her and report back.
>
>Spitz

Thanks!!!!

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Christine Dabney

On 30 Oct 2005 20:49:26 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
>Must be a really old recipe, then. The recipe that both Alan and I posted
>was originally published on the Crisco can in the early 1950s if not
>earlier.
>
>Sorry.

I think my mother was using it before then....

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Christine Dabney

On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 10:07:03 -0800, sf >
wrote:

>Christine: Does this look familiar?
>http://www.recipelink.com/mf/2/9641

No, sorry.

The recipe I have used uses water for the liquid... But instead of
using all Crisco for the fat, I use half butter, as I like the flavor
better.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf

On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 17:19:41 -0800, Christine Dabney wrote:

> On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 10:07:03 -0800, sf >
> wrote:
>
> >Christine: Does this look familiar?
> >http://www.recipelink.com/mf/2/9641

> No, sorry.
>
> The recipe I have used uses water for the liquid... But instead of
> using all Crisco for the fat, I use half butter, as I like the flavor
> better.

it uses boiling water...
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Christine Dabney

On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 21:58:02 -0800, sf >
wrote:

>On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 17:19:41 -0800, Christine Dabney wrote:

>> The recipe I have used uses water for the liquid... But instead of
>> using all Crisco for the fat, I use half butter, as I like the flavor
>> better.
>>

>it uses boiling water...

No, this one uses cold water.

Missed you in chat tonight...

Christine

Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf

On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 23:26:43 -0800, Christine Dabney wrote:

> On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 21:58:02 -0800, sf >
> wrote:
>
> >On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 17:19:41 -0800, Christine Dabney wrote:

> >> The recipe I have used uses water for the liquid... But instead of
> >> using all Crisco for the fat, I use half butter, as I like the flavor
> >> better.
> >>

> >it uses boiling water...

> No, this one uses cold water.
>
> Missed you in chat tonight...

Who did I miss?

the 13 hours you put in the other day... would you believe I spent
10 hours at work yesterday and it wasn't even part of my work week?
For anyone reading this who is saying, "Cry me a river".... overtime
pay is not part of the equasion. Call me an idiot... no problem, I
agree.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Karen

"Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
> Okay folks,
>
> I grew up making the old Crisco pie pastry recipe. My mother taught
> me. It used to be on the cans of Crisco.... It was the most
> wonderful flaky pie crust.
>
> I had this recipe in my files on my computer, and I lost it earlier
> this year when things crashed.
>
> It isn't the current recipe that Crisco publishes. It might be
> similar, but the old recipe had one mix water with part of the flour
> mixture to form a slurry and add it to the flour/Crisco mixture.
>
> I want that recipe, with the slurry method. Now I use half and half
> Crisco and butter, but I really like the slurry method that was used.
> I know the basic method, I just need the amounts of the ingredients
> and the basic proportions.
>
> Anyone got it this in their files?
>
> Christine

I emailed this recipe to Christine, and it's the one she's looking for. I'm
so glad I was able to help you out, Christine! She asked me to post it on
rfc so that everyone could see what she was talking about, so here it is:

Pastry Made with Hydrogenated Shortening - Two-Crust Pie

Pastry made be made with shortening of this kind in exactly the same way as
when using lard. However, the following recipe is almost foolproof, and the
pastry is flaky and tender:

2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted before measuring
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup water
3/4 cup shortening

Sift flour and salt into a bowl. Take out 1/3 cup of this flour and mix
with the 1/4 cup water to form a paste. Cut shortening into remaining flour
until the pieces are the size of small peas. Add flour paste to blended
shortening and flour mixture. Mix with a fork until the dough comes
together and can be shaped into a ball. Divide in half, roll out both
crusts about 1/8 inch thick.

If you are making a one crust pie by this method, use 1 1/2 cups all-purpose
flour, sifted before measuring, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 cup shortening. Take
out 1/4 cup flour and blend with 3 tablespoons water. Proceed as above.

Source: "The Betty Furness Westinghouse Cook Book", 1954

I collect old cookbooks, and this one is the most recent addition to my
collection. I was about to look through all my old cookbooks for this
recipe, and this book happened to be the first one I grabbed. <insert
Twilight Zone music here> :-)

Karen

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Tue 01 Nov 2005 01:03:49p, Karen wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
>> Okay folks,
>>
>> I grew up making the old Crisco pie pastry recipe. My mother taught
>> me. It used to be on the cans of Crisco.... It was the most
>> wonderful flaky pie crust.
>>
>> I had this recipe in my files on my computer, and I lost it earlier
>> this year when things crashed.
>>
>> It isn't the current recipe that Crisco publishes. It might be
>> similar, but the old recipe had one mix water with part of the flour
>> mixture to form a slurry and add it to the flour/Crisco mixture.
>>
>> I want that recipe, with the slurry method. Now I use half and half
>> Crisco and butter, but I really like the slurry method that was used.
>> I know the basic method, I just need the amounts of the ingredients
>> and the basic proportions.
>>
>> Anyone got it this in their files?
>>
>> Christine

> I emailed this recipe to Christine, and it's the one she's looking for.
> I'm so glad I was able to help you out, Christine! She asked me to post
> it on rfc so that everyone could see what she was talking about, so here
> it is:
>
> Pastry Made with Hydrogenated Shortening - Two-Crust Pie
>
> Pastry made be made with shortening of this kind in exactly the same way
> as when using lard. However, the following recipe is almost foolproof,
> and the pastry is flaky and tender:
>
> 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted before measuring
> 1 teaspoon salt
> 1/4 cup water
> 3/4 cup shortening
>
> Sift flour and salt into a bowl. Take out 1/3 cup of this flour and mix
> with the 1/4 cup water to form a paste. Cut shortening into remaining
> flour until the pieces are the size of small peas. Add flour paste to
> blended shortening and flour mixture. Mix with a fork until the dough
> comes together and can be shaped into a ball. Divide in half, roll out
> both crusts about 1/8 inch thick.
> > all-purpose flour, sifted before measuring, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 cup

> shortening. Take out 1/4 cup flour and blend with 3 tablespoons water.
> Proceed as above.
>
> Source: "The Betty Furness Westinghouse Cook Book", 1954
>
> I collect old cookbooks, and this one is the most recent addition to my
> collection. I was about to look through all my old cookbooks for this
> recipe, and this book happened to be the first one I grabbed. <insert
> Twilight Zone music here> :-)
>
> Karen

That's super that you've found it, Karen. But now I have to ask, what is
the advantage to this technique? The ingredient list and proportions are
very close to what I use making it the traditional way.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Christine Dabney

On 1 Nov 2005 21:59:24 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>> I collect old cookbooks, and this one is the most recent addition to my
>> collection. I was about to look through all my old cookbooks for this
>> recipe, and this book happened to be the first one I grabbed. <insert
>> Twilight Zone music here> :-)
>>
>> Karen

>That's super that you've found it, Karen. But now I have to ask, what is
>the advantage to this technique? The ingredient list and proportions are
>very close to what I use making it the traditional way.

Ya know, I don't know if there is any advantage. There might not be.
But I grew up making this recipe,and the pastry has always been very
light and flaky. Other recipes I have used don't seem to come close.
I would love to see if it is just my fondness for an old recipe or if
it is really flakier than other pie crusts. If anyone tries this
methods, I would love to know how it turned out for you, and if you
think it is better or worse than more standard ways of making pastry.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Tue 01 Nov 2005 02:54:06p, Christine Dabney wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 1 Nov 2005 21:59:24 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>>> I collect old cookbooks, and this one is the most recent addition to my
>>> collection. I was about to look through all my old cookbooks for this
>>> recipe, and this book happened to be the first one I grabbed. <insert
>>> Twilight Zone music here> :-)
>>>
>>> Karen

>>That's super that you've found it, Karen. But now I have to ask, what is
>>the advantage to this technique? The ingredient list and proportions are
>>very close to what I use making it the traditional way.

> Ya know, I don't know if there is any advantage. There might not be.
> But I grew up making this recipe,and the pastry has always been very
> light and flaky. Other recipes I have used don't seem to come close.
> I would love to see if it is just my fondness for an old recipe or if
> it is really flakier than other pie crusts. If anyone tries this
> methods, I would love to know how it turned out for you, and if you
> think it is better or worse than more standard ways of making pastry.
>
> Christine

Christine, I will try this and report back. IMHO, I'm a rather expert pie
baker and take a lot of pride in the crusts I make. It will be an
interesting comparison. On the surface, FWIW, I suspect that the slurry
method might make it a little more foolproof. I think the average person
has to develop a knack for working with the traditional method. I will be
baking a couple of pies this weekend, so this will be an ideal time for an
A/B comparison. I will be using a 50/50 combination of butter and Crisco
in both recipes.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*
_____________________________

http://tinypic.com/eikz78.jpg

Meet Mr. Bailey

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Christine Dabney

On 2 Nov 2005 02:01:59 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
>Christine, I will try this and report back. IMHO, I'm a rather expert pie
>baker and take a lot of pride in the crusts I make. It will be an
>interesting comparison. On the surface, FWIW, I suspect that the slurry
>method might make it a little more foolproof. I think the average person
>has to develop a knack for working with the traditional method. I will be
>baking a couple of pies this weekend, so this will be an ideal time for an
>A/B comparison. I will be using a 50/50 combination of butter and Crisco
>in both recipes.

Thanks, Wayne!

I would like to see what other folks think!

I am going to make it these next few days too.

What kind of pies are you going to make? I am looking for some more
pie ideas for Thanksgiving..besides the wonderful James Beard pumpkin
pie recipe I use.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Tue 01 Nov 2005 06:23:45p, Christine Dabney wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 2 Nov 2005 02:01:59 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
>>Christine, I will try this and report back. IMHO, I'm a rather expert

pie
>>baker and take a lot of pride in the crusts I make. It will be an
>>interesting comparison. On the surface, FWIW, I suspect that the slurry
>>method might make it a little more foolproof. I think the average person
>>has to develop a knack for working with the traditional method. I will

be
>>baking a couple of pies this weekend, so this will be an ideal time for

an
>>A/B comparison. I will be using a 50/50 combination of butter and Crisco
>>in both recipes.

> Thanks, Wayne!
>
> I would like to see what other folks think!
>
> I am going to make it these next few days too.
>
> What kind of pies are you going to make? I am looking for some more
> pie ideas for Thanksgiving..besides the wonderful James Beard pumpkin
> pie recipe I use.

One will be an apple-cranberry, the other a homemade mincemeat filling. I
baked pumpkin pies last weekend as a test run for T-day. I don't think
I've ever seen James Beard's recipe. The last pumpkin pie recipe I used I
posted here, but I did change the spice mixture.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*
_____________________________

http://tinypic.com/eikz78.jpg

Meet Mr. Bailey
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Christine Dabney

On 2 Nov 2005 02:37:45 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>One will be an apple-cranberry, the other a homemade mincemeat filling. I
>baked pumpkin pies last weekend as a test run for T-day. I don't think
>I've ever seen James Beard's recipe. The last pumpkin pie recipe I used I
>posted here, but I did change the spice mixture.

Here is James Beard's recipe:

Rich Pumpkin Pie

Plain pastry for 2 9-inch pie shells

2 cups mashed pumpkin (canned is ideal)
6 eggs
2 cups heavy cream
1/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 cup finely cut preserved or candied ginger
1/2 cup cognac
1/4 teaspoon mace

Fill shells with foil and beans and back at 425 degrees for 12
minutes. Remove
foil and beans. Remove pie shells from oven.

Place pumpkin in a bowl and make a well in the center. Add lightly
beaten eggs
combined with heavy cream, seasonings, cognac, and chopped ginger.
Blend
thoroughly. Correct the seasonings- you may want a spicier pie. Pour
into the
partially baked pie shells and bake at 375 degrees until the custard
is just
set.

James Beard says he prefers to serve this on the warm side...with
cognac
flavored and sweetened whipped cream.

When I have not had cognac in the house..I have made it with a good
brandy..and
it turned out well....

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Tue 01 Nov 2005 06:44:42p, Christine Dabney wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 2 Nov 2005 02:37:45 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>

>>One will be an apple-cranberry, the other a homemade mincemeat filling.
>>I baked pumpkin pies last weekend as a test run for T-day. I don't
>>think I've ever seen James Beard's recipe. The last pumpkin pie recipe
>>I used I posted here, but I did change the spice mixture.

> Here is James Beard's recipe:
>
> Rich Pumpkin Pie
>
> Plain pastry for 2 9-inch pie shells
>
> 2 cups mashed pumpkin (canned is ideal)
> 6 eggs
> 2 cups heavy cream
> 1/4 teaspoon salt
> 2/3 cup sugar
> 1 teaspoon cinnamon
> 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
> 1/2 cup finely cut preserved or candied ginger
> 1/2 cup cognac
> 1/4 teaspoon mace
>
> Fill shells with foil and beans and back at 425 degrees for 12
> minutes. Remove
> foil and beans. Remove pie shells from oven.
>
> Place pumpkin in a bowl and make a well in the center. Add lightly
> beaten eggs
> combined with heavy cream, seasonings, cognac, and chopped ginger.
> Blend
> thoroughly. Correct the seasonings- you may want a spicier pie. Pour
> into the
> partially baked pie shells and bake at 375 degrees until the custard
> is just
> set.
>
> James Beard says he prefers to serve this on the warm side...with
> cognac
> flavored and sweetened whipped cream.
>
> When I have not had cognac in the house..I have made it with a good
> brandy..and
> it turned out well....
>

> Christine

Thank you, Christine! I'll be sure to try this one soon.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*
_____________________________

http://tinypic.com/eikz78.jpg

Meet Mr. Bailey
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy Young

Speaking of pie crust, I would like to try my hand
at making my own, for deep dish quiches. Oddly
enough, I don't own pie pans, can you believe it?

Should I get the Pyrex or the metal ones? Those
non-stick kind you find in the supermarket.

Thank you, nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Mr Libido Incognito

Nancy Young wrote on 02 Nov 2005 in rec.food.cooking

> Speaking of pie crust, I would like to try my hand
> at making my own, for deep dish quiches. Oddly
> enough, I don't own pie pans, can you believe it?
>
> Should I get the Pyrex or the metal ones? Those
> non-stick kind you find in the supermarket.
>
> Thank you, nancy

I lean towards the glass pyrex pie plates...but I have a balance problem.
--
The eyes are the mirrors....
But the ears...Ah the ears.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 02 Nov 2005 11:56:03a, Nancy Young wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Speaking of pie crust, I would like to try my hand
> at making my own, for deep dish quiches. Oddly
> enough, I don't own pie pans, can you believe it?
>
> Should I get the Pyrex or the metal ones? Those
> non-stick kind you find in the supermarket.
>
> Thank you, nancy

I own both, but find that I always gravitate to Pyrex or pottery for my
pies. For quiche, however, I always prebake my crust almost completely,
then cool and fill and bake with the filling until firm. For quiche, I
always use metal.

HTH

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*
_____________________________

http://tinypic.com/eikz78.jpg

Meet Mr. Bailey
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 02 Nov 2005 11:56:03a, Nancy Young wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Speaking of pie crust, I would like to try my hand
> at making my own, for deep dish quiches. Oddly
> enough, I don't own pie pans, can you believe it?
>
> Should I get the Pyrex or the metal ones? Those
> non-stick kind you find in the supermarket.
>
> Thank you, nancy

Another thought... If you don't plan on baking pies, but only quiches, why
not opt for a loose-bottomed quiche pan. Much nicer.

http://tinyurl.com/8d75g

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*
_____________________________

http://tinypic.com/eikz78.jpg

Meet Mr. Bailey
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 02 Nov 2005 03:41:06p, Mr Libido Incognito wrote in
rec.food.cooking:

> Nancy Young wrote on 02 Nov 2005 in rec.food.cooking
>
>> Speaking of pie crust, I would like to try my hand
>> at making my own, for deep dish quiches. Oddly
>> enough, I don't own pie pans, can you believe it?
>>
>> Should I get the Pyrex or the metal ones? Those
>> non-stick kind you find in the supermarket.
>>
>> Thank you, nancy
>>

> I lean towards the glass pyrex pie plates...but I have a balance problem.

Does that mean you might tip over? Be careful! :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*
_____________________________

http://tinypic.com/eikz78.jpg

Meet Mr. Bailey
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy Young

"Mr Libido Incognito" > wrote

> Nancy Young wrote on 02 Nov 2005 in rec.food.cooking

>> Should I get the Pyrex or the metal ones? Those
>> non-stick kind you find in the supermarket.

> I lean towards the glass pyrex pie plates...but I have a balance problem.

(laugh) You hang onto the door jamb, I'll get the glass
ones. Thank you!

nancy

REC: Gingersnaps (made with Crisco) Damsel in dis Dress[_1_] General Cooking 0 25-06-2007 07:34 AM
Trans-fat free Crisco Steve Pope General Cooking 22 26-12-2006 05:24 PM
crisco? Jen General Cooking 32 05-12-2006 01:54 PM
Makin' waffles. Was: crisco? Andy General Cooking 18 04-12-2006 07:41 PM
Crisco's GrilledCornSalad [email protected] Recipes (moderated) 0 29-08-2006 03:33 AM